John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today I had to train light because my shoulder would not let me train heavier(or it would have gotten injured)(been dealing with this shoulder challenge five-six months now, waiting on Insurance to either approve or reject an MRI(each MRI costs like 3 k I think and they have spent a lot of money of me with all my injuries)

it sucks to not train heavy and it'll show on stage. better than an injury though, at least I can still train with some weight.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man that shoulder is a beast isn't it. YOu look to have enough muscle density from all the heavy lifting that your muscle maturity should keep the delts looking strong even with lower intensity training on them.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
btw nice posing trunks, I am thinking of getting similar ones since my torso is a tiny bit longer than my legs so Itll make me look more balanced instead of "top heavy"
Age was my motivation for going Classic. :sorry:

v1hyp

v1hyp

Awards
Your always going to hold some water after a high carb day. It should go away in a day or two once you go back to eatting normal. I was always heavier on Sun then back to my base weight by Wed. Keep it up!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude, i get way more than 25g fat for breakfast, i cant IMAGINE being that low continuously. your dedication is just incredible.
I also would question to some extent how much going that low long term effects testosterone levels.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 11th 2010

Nutrition
365 P
250 CHO
35 F

Cardio 45 minutes interval high intensity

6-8 hours later

Chest, shoulders, Abs

Chest
Incline dumb bell press 10-20 degrees
70lbs=8x's
85lbs=7x's
Decline dumb bell-had to cease, shoulder
decline barbell-had to cease after 185 lbs=shoulder
Incline Smith
185lbs=9x's
205lbs=5 or 6
Cable crossover
60lbs=7x's
Pec Dec
130lbs=6x's

Shoulders
Seated side lateral machine(one arm at a time)
150lbs=15x's
170lbs=10x's
190lbs=9x's

Nautilus seated overhead machine(close grip[for shoulders])
170lbs=11x's
170lbs=7x's

Abs
decline leg riases
crunches

sleep nine-ten hours

Supplements
HghPro-four pre bed
Stoked- four
Cycle Support-two scoops
Essentials and joint-three scoops post workout
RecoverPro-one scoop pre-cardio

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man that shoulder is a beast isn't it. YOu look to have enough muscle density from all the heavy lifting that your muscle maturity should keep the delts looking strong even with lower intensity training on them.
Age was my motivation for going Classic. :sorry:
Nothing wrong with that. usually real tall guys, older guys, and guys with a longer torso go the classic way

Your always going to hold some water after a high carb day. It should go away in a day or two once you go back to eatting normal. I was always heavier on Sun then back to my base weight by Wed. Keep it up!!
Good to have you in here V1hyp.

dude, i get way more than 25g fat for breakfast, i cant IMAGINE being that low continuously. your dedication is just incredible.
Usually for pre-contest "off season I plan on raising fats .

I let myself get to 18-20 % seven-eight months ago which I did not look bad because I hold it well, however that was a major mistake and I'll never make that again as long as I am competing. It takes the body a long time to adopt. In fact my first show I was maybe 10 % which was not good, I just wanted to get on stage because I took a whole year off lifting and realized how much I missed bodybuilding and how much potential I have if I put the work in.

I only had two months to prepare for my last show with limited exercises and weight because twelve months previous I had a major elbow injury. The best I can do is learn my body and strive to beat what I looked like last year and go for my target conditioning.

I am guessing I am going to have to continue getting deep tissue work from someone who knows what they are doing with scar tissue and such for as long as I plan on doing this. hopefully not!! I don't mean to burden anyone talking so much about injuries, they are part of it though and how to prevent and manage them.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man you said it, been dealing with mine for over 2 years, progress is so slow...

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
October 11th 2010

Nutrition
365 P
250 CHO
35 F

Cardio 45 minutes interval high intensity

6-8 hours later

Chest, shoulders, Abs

Chest
Incline dumb bell press 10-20 degrees
70lbs=8x's
85lbs=7x's
Decline dumb bell-had to cease, shoulder
decline barbell-had to cease after 185 lbs=shoulder
Incline Smith
185lbs=9x's
205lbs=5 or 6
Cable crossover
60lbs=7x's
Pec Dec
130lbs=6x's

Shoulders
Seated side lateral machine(one arm at a time)
150lbs=15x's
170lbs=10x's
190lbs=9x's

Nautilus seated overhead machine(close grip[for shoulders])
170lbs=11x's
170lbs=7x's

Abs
decline leg riases
crunches

sleep nine-ten hours

Supplements
HghPro-four pre bed
Stoked- four
Cycle Support-two scoops
RecoverPro-one scoop pre-cardio
Nice workout and great sleep arggggggg. Sorry about the shoulder slowing you down.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice workout and great sleep arggggggg. Sorry about the shoulder slowing you down.
what is your weight training regime like ? I remember hearing about a shoulder injury with you, is that right?

how about nutrition do you count calories?

have you ever been serious about the sport of bodybuilding?

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what is your weight training regime like ? I remember hearing about a shoulder injury with you, is that right?

how about nutrition do you count calories?

have you ever been serious about the sport of bodybuilding?
I am not or ever have been a body builder. I do however have great respect for those who do so. To be honest I do not have the dedication to diet that a bodybuilder needs. I am big into staying in the best shape I can. I used to be a very fat guy who got winded walking up stairs. It was this board that I found that helped me with things I could do to help me get in good shape.

I feel like a new man. I have been able to get off medication that I use to be on due to the poor way I took care of myself. I have had no major injuries lifting as I am very strict on form and don't try to push what my ego wants or what I see some of the other guys throwing around.

When I was younger I made a couple of what I thought were attempts to become Arnold and did hurt myself then. One time I joined for a year and was so stupid with my lifts I hurt the back pretty bad and never lifted again that year.

Now I just try to hit each bodypart once a week hard enough that I can feel a burn. I also try to do about 2-3 hours of cardio every week. I have always been very big on what goes into my body and thus got very interested in supplements and learn as much as I can about them. I use them and they help but I also know that without the work they are useless.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like me.

I love lifting, but i know I will never be on a stage or in a power lifting competition.

I still love going to the gym and killing those day to day stressors out.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 12th 2010

390 P
200 CHO
20 F
2,520 calories

Legs, posing and abs, cardio

Calves Donkey Calve raises(smith machine)
345lbs=8x's
315lbs=12x's
Dumb bell between feet
50lbs=15x's

Hamstrings
seated hamstring curl
170lbs=15x's
220lbs=6x's

Body masters leg extension
130lbs=12x's

Leg press
6 plates(per side)=10x's
6plates=6x's

cardio 15 minutes right after workout 15 incline 3.5-3.0 walking on balls of feet to stress calves

posing 15 minutes

abs-ring of fire

sleep nine hours

Supplements
HghPro-four caosules pre bed
Stoked-Four capsules
recoverPRO-two scoops between meals
Cycle Support-two scoops
Glycobol-two 30 minutes before post workout meal

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like me.

I love lifting, but i know I will never be on a stage or in a power lifting competition.

I still love going to the gym and killing those day to day stressors out.
The mental aspects of it are just as important to me as the physical ones.

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
Everything looks good John, pity about the shoulder, but sensible not to risk injury.. I've decided I'm going to see the physio for mine really limits lifting any real weight at all

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 14th 2010

Nutrition
250 P
315 CHO
35 F
2,600 calories

45 minutes high/medium interval cardio

posing 10 minutes

6 hours later- Abs, Back, Traps
Abs Ring of fire-side and rear movements doubled(since these seem to be "challenge" area's

Back width
Underhand grip pulldown
180lbs=8x's(3 partials)---dropset---170lbs=4x's-4x's(rest paused with 4 partials on the end)
V bar pulldown
180lbs=7x's(4 partials)---dropset---170lbs=6x's---dropset---150lbs=6x's(3 partials)
one set of neutral grip pullups

Barbell rows(yates position)
overhand 185lbs=9x's
underhand 185lbs=8x's
Nautilus one arm row machine
150lbs=12x's
170lbs=12x's
200lbs=10x's

Traps
Behind the back smith shrugs
275lbs=6x's---dropset---225lbs=8x's
dumb bell shrug
70lbs=10x's

sleep
ten hours

supplements
Stoked four capsules
essentials and joint-three scoops post workout
RecoverPro-one scoops pre cardio

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Keep up the the good work man!

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 15th 2010

Nutrition
400 P
150 CHO
10 F
2,300 calories

Biceps + Triceps super sets, forearms,Calves, abdominal s

Biceps + Triceps
Spider Curl 40lbs=6-7x's(lost count)
Overhead cable extension 150lbs=13x's

Nautilus preacher curl 130lbs=11x's
behind the head dumb bell extension 35lbs=11x's

reverse ez bar preacher curl 70lbs=8x's, 70lbs=5x's
one arm reverse rope pulldown extension 30lb1=10x's, 40lbs=10x's

Forearms
Reverse dumbbelll curl (on preacher machine)
30lbs=10x's

Calves
seated calve raise machine
45+45+5=10x's
45+45+25+5=0x's

abs
leg lefts on decline 10,8,5
crunches 12,10,15

Sleep nine-ten hours

Supplements
Stoked-Four capsules
Cycle Support-two scoops

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Must have been a nice pump on that workout.

Using anything pre-lift? Or something to increase the pump or maximize the workout?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Must have been a nice pump on that workout.

Using anything pre-lift? Or something to increase the pump or maximize the workout?
A higher carb day was the day before so that helped more than anything probally.

I use a stim-free pump supplements, like taurine, tyrosine, l-arginine, aakg,it helps a little bit. I would take maniac pre workout but I am very sensitive to caffeine(and all stims) for some reason. It would be good to have a stim-free pre-workout from AI Sports Nutrition for those who are stim sensitive.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A higher carb day was the day before so that helped more than anything probally.

I use a stim-free pump supplements, like taurine, tyrosine, l-arginine, aakg,it helps a little bit. I would take maniac pre workout but I am very sensitive to caffeine(and all stims) for some reason. It would be good to have a stim-free pre-workout from AI Sports Nutrition for those who are stim sensitive.
Kinda what i was thinking.

Have you tried GPLC? For a strong pump maybe a nice mix of GPLC, Citrulline mallate, AAKG or some other derivative of Arginine, along with some Agmantine. Taurine IMO is great for a stim-free focus. Beta-alanine and creatine mono are a great pair in my opinion and really help with making strength gains. Im thinking of adding that to my Maniac.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Kinda what i was thinking.

Have you tried GPLC? For a strong pump maybe a nice mix of GPLC, Citrulline mallate, AAKG or some other derivative of Arginine, along with some Agmantine. Taurine IMO is great for a stim-free focus. Beta-alanine and creatine mono are a great pair in my opinion and really help with making strength gains. Im thinking of adding that to my Maniac.
dont think Ive tried GPLC. yeah i use beta alanine and creatine pre-workout as well and also citrulline malate, I use some other "pump" ingredients as well pre-workout, like glyercol,cillrulline malate, l-norvaline.

I really only use this stuff pre-contest/losing body fat for an extra pump. When I am taking in enough carbs pump is not a challenge. With that said, it does help.

Do you notice a difference of the pump, when on Maniac and on off maniac days?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Considering I dont work out for a pump, I work out for strength I do notice a very strong pump while on Maniac.

Recently Ive noticed very intense pumps while not emphasizing the rep range normally needed for that level of pump.

I dont know if they are the strongest Ive ever had or where it rates on a scale comparing other supplements on lines of pump intensity...since again...pump has never been my main concern.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Again the lighting and the fact that you're pretty white doesn't do you any favors. I do however think that you're going right down to the wire on this one. Improvements have been made but you're time is running short. Time to really start to push the conditioning. You can still make it, just have to really get strict and push hard.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
amazing that you have to push harder than ever, and still have a month left!! you have to really be pushing the limit of endurance here. amazing. rock it man!!!

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
October 15th 2010

Nutrition
400 P
150 CHO
10 F
2,300 calories

Biceps + Triceps super sets, forearms,Calves, abdominal s

Biceps + Triceps
Spider Curl 40lbs=6-7x's(lost count)
Overhead cable extension 150lbs=13x's

Nautilus preacher curl 130lbs=11x's
behind the head dumb bell extension 35lbs=11x's

reverse ez bar preacher curl 70lbs=8x's, 70lbs=5x's
one arm reverse rope pulldown extension 30lb1=10x's, 40lbs=10x's

Forearms
Reverse dumbbelll curl (on preacher machine)
30lbs=10x's

Calves
seated calve raise machine
45+45+5=10x's
45+45+25+5=0x's

abs
leg lefts on decline 10,8,5
crunches 12,10,15

Sleep nine-ten hours

Supplements
Stoked-Four capsules
Cycle Support-two scoops
Very nice workout John and damn good sleep time again.:)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again the lighting and the fact that you're pretty white doesn't do you any favors. I do however think that you're going right down to the wire on this one. Improvements have been made but you're time is running short. Time to really start to push the conditioning. You can still make it, just have to really get strict and push hard.
That was at about 4:00 p.m. May try 10:00 am next time see if hat works better. Its not like is making a huge difference it is what it is. I'm going to do a test tanner on a spot on my body, probably my abs, maybe quads, in the next video or so.

You got this John!
Thanks Kristofer your support is very much appreciated

amazing that you have to push harder than ever, and still have a month left!! you have to really be pushing the limit of endurance here. amazing. rock it man!!!
yep :cheers:

Very nice workout John and damn good sleep time again.:)
Thanks Don. Sleep is so important for any kind of performance(mental physical, etc)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 16th 2010

Nutrition
400 P
250 CHO
40F

45 minutes high/medium intensity cardio

might have done 15 minutes posing didnt not write it down

Sleep-nine hours

Supplements
Stoked -four capsules
Cycle Support-two scoops
Recoverpro(one scoop)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
October 17th 2010

Nutrition
290 P
150 CHO
10 F

cardio outside jog for three miles-40 minutes

Sleep 5-6 hours; however I am taking an hour nap right now!

Supplements
Hghpro -four capsules pre-bed
Stoked-four capsules
Cycle support-two scoops
RecoverPro-two scoops in between meals(this really helps a ton to hold onto muscle! this is very overlooked when dieting on a reduced calorie diet) I used to not do this now that I do I hold onto muscle much better and feel much better in the brain and energy wise.

also on some says when I feel worn out, like this day, I take 10 grams glutamine in between meals, I ended up taking 30 grams glutamine yesterday I feel this really helps my immune system and recovery as well.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was at about 4:00 p.m. May try 10:00 am next time see if hat works better. Its not like is making a huge difference it is what it is. I'm going to do a test tanner on a spot on my body, probably my abs, maybe quads, in the next video or so.

Thanks Kristofer your support is very much appreciated

yep :cheers:

Thanks Don. Sleep is so important for any kind of performance(mental physical, etc)
Very true.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
October 17th 2010

Nutrition
290 P
150 CHO
10 F

cardio outside jog for three miles-40 minutes

Sleep 5-6 hours; however I am taking an hour nap right now!

Supplements
Hghpro -four capsules pre-bed
Stoked-four capsules
Cycle support-two scoops
RecoverPro-two scoops in between meals(this really helps a ton to hold onto muscle! this is very overlooked when dieting on a reduced calorie diet) I used to not do this now that I do I hold onto muscle much better and feel much better in the brain and energy wise.

also on some says when I feel worn out, like this day, I take 10 grams glutamine in between meals, I ended up taking 30 grams glutamine yesterday I feel this really helps my immune system and recovery as well.

HOLY HYPOCALORIC DAY BATMAN!! 1850 is really getting down there for a guy ur size. I will praise you high emphasis on BCAA's and glutamine now during deep caloric deficit. Will minimize muscle loss to a good degree and possibly preserve a great deal of that hard earned mass.

Keep up the excellent work!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HOLY HYPOCALORIC DAY BATMAN!! 1850 is really getting down there for a guy ur size. I will praise you high emphasis on BCAA's and glutamine now during deep caloric deficit. Will minimize muscle loss to a good degree and possibly preserve a great deal of that hard earned mass.

Keep up the excellent work!
Thanks my man. Today ill try to hit 2,500,imaking the average of these two days 2,200-2,300. It has been shown that when carbs/calories are zig zagged like say your average maximum bodyfat loss is 2,500 one day you do 2,000 calories and the next day 3,000 calories it works better than just doing 2,500 calories steady.

with that said, its important to time them low days and high days when you really need them.(example you would do a low day if you did 45 minutes cardio separated by Back with something taxing like barbell rows or deadlifts)

Its so much easier eating refined carbs, eating this whole food takes long, like sometimes up to 45 minutes to eat I just spent 45 minutes eating my last meal it took so long to get down. I'm trying not to rely on shakes too much, if I have to though I'll do it. Whole food fills me up and make me less hungry. esp potatoes-red potatoes

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Thanks my man. Today ill try to hit 2,500,imaking the average of these two days 2,200-2,300. It has been shown that when carbs/calories are zig zagged like say your average maximum bodyfat loss is 2,500 one day you do 2,000 calories and the next day 3,000 calories it works better than just doing 2,500 calories steady.

with that said, its important to time them low days and high days when you really need them.(example you would do a low day if you did 45 minutes cardio separated by Back with something taxing like barbell rows or deadlifts)

Its so much easier eating refined carbs, eating this whole food takes long, like sometimes up to 45 minutes to eat I just spent 45 minutes eating my last meal it took so long to get down. I'm trying not to rely on shakes too much, if I have to though I'll do it. Whole food fills me up and make me less hungry. esp potatoes-red potatoes
I've been super loading my body with protein for the past few weeks just as a test, I'm up to 187 right now, eating about 400G protein a day or so, lots of cottage cheese before bed, protein shake the second I wake up in the morning, etc. Whole food sucks sometimes, especially when your meal is 4 boiled chicken breasts and some rice! TG I am almost back in the states!

DW, sorry I have been missing so much of late, just catching up, looking darn good in here and can't wait to see some pictures (I went 2 pages back reading and couldn't find them :D)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the zigzag idea keeps the metabolism going. Looks like you're going with a high medium low method. I had great success with 3 low 3 med 3 high a while back.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All you guys are very dedicated to keep up those types of strict diet. That is the main reason I could not be a bodybuilder I just don't have that kind of discipline.
Definitely, dieting is hell. I'd rather just stay lean all the time and only need to diet for 1-2 weeks tops. Far easier and less stress and havoc on the body that way. But kudos to all those - including John here - who diet for months on end. However, you don't have to diet excessively or for extremely long periods of time to call yourself a "bodybuilder" - technically anyone that trains to improve their physique is a "bodybuilder".

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely, dieting is hell. I'd rather just stay lean all the time and only need to diet for 1-2 weeks tops. Far easier and less stress and havoc on the body that way. But kudos to all those - including John here - who diet for months on end. However, you don't have to diet excessively or for extremely long periods of time to call yourself a "bodybuilder" - technically anyone that trains to improve their physique is a "bodybuilder".
I wish I could stay leaner in the off season but when I gain muscle the fat comes along for the ride. I do have some discipline problems with off season dieting as well, hard to watch what you eat when you're always famished.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wish I could stay leaner in the off season but when I gain muscle the fat comes along for the ride. I do have some discipline problems with off season dieting as well, hard to watch what you eat when you're always famished.
For sure. Whenever I try and gain mass, I still end up recomping due to my training - which is why I am, if you like, on a perpetual recomp. I am not the best example re nutrition, since I pretty much eat what I want when I want with some structure - hence why I do not post my nutrition; no one would believe what I actually eat (and especially before the competition I just did a couple of weeks ago!) and that I stay as relatively lean as I do! I think that now, though, I'm just going to maintain what I have, and once I get as lean as what I wan, try and maintain the 8-9% bodyfat range, since I don't really want any more muscle mass - my arms could use a little more, but that means also gaining in my lower body, and that I DON'T want.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For sure. Whenever I try and gain mass, I still end up recomping due to my training - which is why I am, if you like, on a perpetual recomp. I am not the best example re nutrition, since I pretty much eat what I want when I want with some structure - hence why I do not post my nutrition; no one would believe what I actually eat (and especially before the competition I just did a couple of weeks ago!) and that I stay as relatively lean as I do! I think that now, though, I'm just going to maintain what I have, and once I get as lean as what I wan, try and maintain the 8-9% bodyfat range, since I don't really want any more muscle mass - my arms could use a little more, but that means also gaining in my lower body, and that I DON'T want.
Wow 8-9 is very low maintenance for a woman. I am on recomp most of the time myself but it's the discipline thing that gets me. I don't ever intentiionally bulk anymore. By the way how did your contest go?