I HATE setting up to deadlift.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't hate to deadlift, but God do I hate setting the bar up to deadlift. I hate sliding the weight plates on the bar while the bars on the floor and I hate taking the plates off when I'm done. I have to slide the plates across the floor to get them off and I'm only deadlifting 220 right now, Idk what I'm going to do once I start stacking 45Lb plates on the bar. Once I move I'll be deadlifting in a garage with a concrete floor. Anybody have a solution to this, like some kind of device I can buy lol? In this video there is some kind of device that wheels the bar around. I'd love to have something like that, that also elevates the bar up a few inches if such a device exists.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Its called warm ups and cool downs. Throw a plate on, lift it a couple times, throw another plate on.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't hate to deadlift, but God do I hate setting the bar up to deadlift. I hate sliding the weight plates on the bar while the bars on the floor and I hate taking the plates off when I'm done. I have to slide the plates across the floor to get them off and I'm only deadlifting 220 right now, Idk what I'm going to do once I start stacking 45Lb plates on the bar. Once I move I'll be deadlifting in a garage with a concrete floor. Anybody have a solution to this, like some kind of device I can buy lol? In this video there is some kind of device that wheels the bar around. I'd love to have something like that, that also elevates the bar up a few inches if such a device exists.
I don't think lifting is for you.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a power rack? you can setup the plates on there, and use platforms on the outsides and inside the power rack to simulate a "raised" floor in case the bar hits the lowest safety bar before the plate hits the floor...

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Use 35's instead of 45's. Or use just 1 pair of 45's then 35's will be up off the floor.

But I feel your pain.....having to load and unload a bunch 'o 45's is not fun!!

And LOL, Sluggy might be right!!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Wow we have a "crane" that goes underneath the bar and raises it up, then locks into place while you put plates on both sides. then you tip it and it sets the bar on the floor. We have 2 and I think they are home made, but I'll ask they gym owner if he knows where they can be bought

edit: if I remember I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Start with 1 45 lb plate on each side
Take a 2.5 or 5 lb plate and roll the inner corner of one of the 45s up onto that. Put weights on and roll off 5 lb plate. Repeat on the other side. Basically roll the bar bell ( plates on bar bell actually) onto a small object to get it a few inches up to make loading and unloading easier.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
You're complainin about 220?

quit your bitchin

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
Bro...you are deadlifting. You are performing arguably one of the most beneficial exercises one can do as a lifter. As you setup the bar and the weight your peers in the gym are watching, wishing they had the mental fortitude and the physical coordination and strength to perform a deadlift. If this alone doesn't cause you to take pleasure in racking your weights then try some mindgames with yourself.

Here's what I tell myself...but then I am a lil bit crazy...

It's an honor and a pleasure to rack my weights. Each one of them mocks me and taunts me to lift them. They scrutinize my form. Each time I add one of their buddies to the bar with them and lift them off the ground I conquer each one of them and let them know they cannot defeat me not even as a group and as I break the bar down I place each one of the weights back on the rack like sending a bad kid to put his face in the corner of a room only to wait for me next week when I will conquer them all over again.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I saw a guy today use 1 45, and 4 25s on each side.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
killerkanadia: That's the way I like to set up too. I put the 45's on while it's still racked, then 35's or 25's to make up the difference. Much better than grinding 45's across the floor.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I like to make it easy for people to add up the weight when they look over and see me swole and grunting as i slam the weights.

pilip99

pilip99

Awards
  • Established
I like to make it easy for people to add up the weight when they look over and see me swole and grunting as i slam the weights.
HAHAHAHA QFT!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
And if they don't look, i slam that **** harder!

haha... just kidding. I got in trouble last time i went all out.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i hate lifting...lol

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
We have a squat rack that has two sets of arms, one to rack the bar for squats, and one to rack about waist height for deads...I put on 230...and shrug it off those lower arms and set it on the floor. You cant get something like this for home, or just make it with a trip to home depot?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't get it.. nothing fancy needed, just lift the end of the bar up with one arm and slide the plates on one at a time with the other. Easy. Sounds like your estrogen might be a lil high. Just sayin.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Start with 1 45 lb plate on each side
Take a 2.5 or 5 lb plate and roll the inner corner of one of the 45s up onto that. Put weights on and roll off 5 lb plate. Repeat on the other side. Basically roll the bar bell ( plates on bar bell actually) onto a small object to get it a few inches up to make loading and unloading easier.
Bingo. That's what I do. It definitely does the trick! When unloading, do the same for one side. Empty it completely, then just lift the bar up and dump the other side.

You're complainin about 220?

quit your bitchin
Everyone starts somewhere! (eventhough that is lighter than my warm-up weight)
:gives::sgrin:

And if they don't look, i slam that **** harder!

haha... just kidding. I got in trouble last time i went all out.
Weightroom at my gym is carpet over concrete. After droppin the bar down on one spot for a few dozen times, I'm really sure that I cracked the concrete. There's a different sound when the plates fall on one spot. I really wanna tear it up to find out! :D

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder... Nobody wants to lift this heavy ass weight!

Man up, *****!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder... Nobody wants to lift this heavy ass weight!

Man up, *****!
I didn't say I didn't want to lift heavy. I don't want to scrape the plates across a concrete floor.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
I dont really get the question. Why are you lifting? Its like the pansies at the gym that dont rerack their dbs. If you are lifting to get stronger, then why wouldn't you take pride in your ability to lift the weights and carry them back and forth. If your strong enough to rep a weight in any exercize with good form, then your strong enough to put the weights away. Do you bitch about not getting a close enough parking space? You are there to forge your body REMEMBER THAT

I didn't say I didn't want to lift heavy. I don't want to scrape the plates across a concrete floor.
If your worried about the concrete, thats a different story. You will want to put down some sort of matting or cheap carpeting. Concrete ruins weights. Its not the scrapping, its the moisture that oxidizes weights very quickly, as anyone who has stored weights on a concrete floor can tell you.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go to a local feed store and buy horse stall mats. They are realitively cheap when compared to other mats and they are heavy duty enough to drop plates onto. For the load and unloading I usually just put a 45 on first and set the bar onto the floor and then add on 35s and 25s.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
workout with a partner. one guy lifts the bar on one side, other guy pulls 45s off easily and quickly. switch position for the other side. How me and my buddy deadlift. I understand this, because I dead lift 90 lbs more than my buddy so we are constatly changing weight so we both get our sets in together. and everyones right, enjoy moving the weight. if it helps add it to your workout

Carry weights:
- carried 25 pound dumbells back to rack after curls
- pulled and racked 4 45s after deads
- put shake weight in car after 15 minutes

Im completely kidding about alll that^

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
workout with a partner. one guy lifts the bar on one side, other guy pulls 45s off easily and quickly. switch position for the other side. How me and my buddy deadlift. I understand this, because I dead lift 90 lbs more than my buddy so we are constatly changing weight so we both get our sets in together. and everyones right, enjoy moving the weight. if it helps add it to your workout

Carry weights:
- carried 25 pound dumbells back to rack after curls
- pulled and racked 4 45s after deads
- put shake weight in car after 15 minutes

Im completely kidding about alll that^[/QUOTE

WOW!

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The purpose of you saying
was.... or are you too dense to get the joke? im not sure wtf your wowing about.

Anyways, I did the 5 pound plates thing the other day when I deadlifted by myself and, it was actually awesome... great tip! haha.