What's your best way to lose weight?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I know. I was responding to your post? Maybe I misunderstood your tone for genuine confusion.
My confusion was more like sarcasm, you were correct the first time. My apologies.... I understand your tone now, and I obviously got caught up in the "moment" :) Sorry about that....

By the way....I'm from Plano!!

Science is great. Peer reviewed studies are fantastic. That said, it's easy to get caught up in dogmatic bull****. The scientific community doesn't exactly gear studies and resources to bodybuilding. Most studies demonstrating upper limits of protein intake for example don't take in to account the amount of muscle damage an intense bodybuilding training session will cause, and ignore completely the benefits of high protein intake outside of protein synthesis. Nor do most studies isolate for the hormonal response bodybuilding triggers and the effects of that on any other aspect of our diets. Our bodies are not the same as the average person, or even the average "regular exerciser" and this is a huge limiting factor IMO.

Lab results don't always carry over to real life application and people tend to forget that, especially when there are variables to consider outside the study controls.

And yeah, there are studies to show eating hamburgers and fries, even within a macro limit, will cause a negative response on physique. They won't be titled "Effect of Hamburgers on Physique" though. You will have to find studies on simple carbs (bun), saturated fats (meat), and how vitamins and minerals effect metabolism, nutrient absorption and use et cetera, then deduce the lack of vitamins and minerals in the typical cheeseburger is a negative thing for a physique goal, especially when a nutrient dense, low in saturated fat meal with complex carbs (the effects of which are also researchable) could be eaten instead.

Empirical evidence has its legitimate place, and bodybuilding is essentially it's own petri-dish. Optimal? Not necessarily. Have people built huge and impressive physiques using techniques that aren't explicitly inferred from a lab test? Yes. Time and time and time and time again.

If eating like **** worked, people would be scarfing ice cream and cheeseburgers all day.

Great post TG!! I think there are many way's to achieve similar fitness goals, but obviously as individual's we must decide what works for best for OUR OWN bodies. I think member's can learn from each other through both scientific and real life experience with out all the preaching. Maybe that's what I was trying to get across, but probably didn't do a great job at.....

TexasGuy

Awards
My confusion was more like sarcasm, you were correct the first time. My apologies.... I understand your tone now, and I obviously got caught up in the "moment" :) Sorry about that....

By the way....I'm from Plano!!

Great post TG!! I think there are many way's to achieve similar fitness goals, but obviously as individual's we must decide what works for best for OUR OWN bodies. I think member's can learn from each other through both scientific and real life experience with out all the preaching. Maybe that's what I was trying to get across, but probably didn't do a great job at.....
Nice! I'm in Houston myself but half my family is up there between Plano, Allen and Richardson. Do you ever lift at Metroplex?

And yeah, different bodies respond to different stimuli.... differently. Also, various diets take advantage of various responses illicited by certain nutrients. It's interesting the top competitors utilize multiple dieting strategies during the year and through contest prep while keyboard warriors will dogmatically defent what ever they are using, at the current time, and disregard all other plans as bs for a "lack" of research. And then the next epic diet putting all the rest to shame comes along. What ever. Sounds like you've found great success in an impossible fashion, which is pretty cool! Maybe you should post in ChickDiesels accomplishment thread: "Miss Q, accomplished the impossible in 2012!"

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ugh...

Super+facepalm_db95e1_3420603.jpg

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Quickly approaching the "bro-science" BB.com status in this forum... Sad.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yeah, because acknowledging limitations is so bro science, brah.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Okay so this is my new routine for losing weight for the new year. HIIT Workout 5 times per week
Weight lifting 3 days per week
Eating clean 7 days per week.
That's my routine right now let's see how the results come!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Nice! I'm in Houston myself but half my family is up there between Plano, Allen and Richardson. Do you ever lift at Metroplex?

And yeah, different bodies respond to different stimuli.... differently. Also, various diets take advantage of various responses illicited by certain nutrients. It's interesting the top competitors utilize multiple dieting strategies during the year and through contest prep while keyboard warriors will dogmatically defent what ever they are using, at the current time, and disregard all other plans as bs for a "lack" of research. And then the next epic diet putting all the rest to shame comes along. What ever. Sounds like you've found great success in an impossible fashion, which is pretty cool! Maybe you should post in ChickDiesels accomplishment thread: "Miss Q, accomplished the impossible in 2012!"

I moved away from Plano a while back and I never got the chance to workout at Metroplex, but next time I visit it's on!!

Evidently we need to go back to BB.com where we came from. Funny thing is, I've never been a member there!!

ChickDiesels thread ??? How did I miss it?!?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Okay so this is my new routine for losing weight for the new year. HIIT Workout 5 times per week
Weight lifting 3 days per week
Eating clean 7 days per week.
That's my routine right now let's see how the results come!

I'm sure you will see fantastic result's MG. Please keep us posted!!:veryhappy:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes.

Science is great. Peer reviewed studies are fantastic. That said, it's easy to get caught up in dogmatic bull****. The scientific community doesn't exactly gear studies and resources to bodybuilding. Most studies demonstrating upper limits of protein intake for example don't take in to account the amount of muscle damage an intense bodybuilding training session will cause, and ignore completely the benefits of high protein intake outside of protein synthesis. Nor do most studies isolate for the hormonal response bodybuilding triggers and the effects of that on any other aspect of our diets. Our bodies are not the same as the average person, or even the average "regular exerciser" and this is a huge limiting factor IMO.

Lab results don't always carry over to real life application and people tend to forget that, especially when there are variables to consider outside the study controls.

And yeah, there are studies to show eating hamburgers and fries, even within a macro limit, will cause a negative response on physique. They won't be titled "Effect of Hamburgers on Physique" though. You will have to find studies on simple carbs (bun), saturated fats (meat), and how vitamins and minerals effect metabolism, nutrient absorption and use et cetera, then deduce the lack of vitamins and minerals in the typical cheeseburger is a negative thing for a physique goal, especially when a nutrient dense, low in saturated fat meal with complex carbs (the effects of which are also researchable) could be eaten instead.

Empirical evidence has its legitimate place, and bodybuilding is essentially it's own petri-dish. Optimal? Not necessarily. Have people built huge and impressive physiques using techniques that aren't explicitly inferred from a lab test? Yes. Time and time and time and time again.

If eating like **** worked, people would be scarfing ice cream and cheeseburgers all day.
And some people do. Saturated fats play an important role in testosterone production; and last time I checked, increasing natty test levels was considered a good thing. That being said; whats the difference between a 'bun' and a 'gatorade' in terms of simple sugars? Yes, the monosaccarides may differ but they are both simple carbs. And yet are not most olympic lifters (who daily consume simple carbs) amoungst some of the fittest, finest and strongest athletes the world over? Any diet can be manipulated to suit any training regime but are they all optimal? Of course not. Do they yield results? Of course they do.

And there is evidence on strength training as to their protein intakes; hence where the studies on 1.6-1.8g/kg of BW come from. And you cannot tell me that people training for strength do less work than a BBer. So there is some carry-over.

The better a study is planned, the more it replicates real life enviroment and that in which people train. Yes, some lab data is in vitro and therefore the effects may not carry over; but for the vast majority of in vivo data, the data better mimics the environment in which the study is too represent. Yes, high protein diets arnt all bad, but there is evidence the body can synthesize only a limited amount of protein per day and up and beyond this, you literally pee it out (deamination). So what are the benefits of excess protein above and beyond the daily threshold? i.e. no longer needed for amino transport or hormone transport.

In fact, if you like anecdotal evidence so much, check out Whackeds profile (member here) who CONSISTANTLY eats less than 1lb per lb of body weight yet has amazing results and has posted about it previously.

Whats to say that someone who has a cheeseburger diet but obtains all his mirconutrients from various multivitamin; his/ her fibre from fibre supplements cannot be fit, lean and healthly? Esp. If all micro levels are met?

If eating "bad" foods does not work for you then by all means, avoid them. But to state that a bad diet cannot be manipulated and geared towards optimum results is a very shortsighted response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4 : A video for you to consider. Provides interesting insight.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is what irritates me. While jigz, you make outstanding points, as have others. You also approached everything in a nature manner. This isn't aimed at you at all. Please, don't take it this way.

The protocols you're suggesting are advanced, if a person is asking, like the OP was. "How to lose 10lbs" they obviously don't have the level of experience as all of you. I do not mean to offend anyone by that statement but it proves correct the vast majority on the time. People jump down each others throat for suggesting to eat clean. Gimme a break!!!!

Many times these protocols are not pointed out as exactly what they are, specific protocols. To my knowledge, no one suggested they're carb backloading, even though that's what they're eluding too. They simply make the statement of its only about calories, I eat cake, ice cream, cereal. There are many factors the posters don't point out.

Both sides may go about approaching each other in an aggressive manner but that's when both sides need to act like grown ups and not try and belittle other people (which I feel has happened in this thread)

I'm just trying to offer some suggestions. I always try to approach situations without belittling people. I would hope others would have the same respect. Everyone here is trying to learn, not argue.

End rant

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
This is what irritates me. While jigz, you make outstanding points, as have others. You also approached everything in a nature manner. This isn't aimed at you at all. Please, don't take it this way.

The protocols you're suggesting are advanced, if a person is asking, like the OP was. "How to lose 10lbs" they obviously don't have the level of experience as all of you. I do not mean to offend anyone by that statement but it proves correct the vast majority on the time. People jump down each others throat for suggesting to eat clean. Gimme a break!!!!

Many times these protocols are not pointed out as exactly what they are, specific protocols. To my knowledge, no one suggested they're carb backloading, even though that's what they're eluding too. They simply make the statement of its only about calories, I eat cake, ice cream, cereal. There are many factors the posters don't point out.

Both sides may go about approaching each other in an aggressive manner but that's when both sides need to act like grown ups and not try and belittle other people (which I feel has happened in this thread)

I'm just trying to offer some suggestions. I always try to approach situations without belittling people. I would hope others would have the same respect. Everyone here is trying to learn, not argue.

End rant
Well said on all accounts, I guess the only thing that gets to me is when someone presents the "eat clean" or "have X amount of meals a day" as the correct way and every other way to be incorrect and flawed, as something that would never work.

Albert Simon

Awards
The best way to lose weight and to stay fit is to do home exercises.There are many home fitness programs that are available all over the world.You can choose any one of these that suits you.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Well said on all accounts, I guess the only thing that gets to me is when someone presents the "eat clean" or "have X amount of meals a day" as the correct way and every other way to be incorrect and flawed, as something that would never work.
And of course when people continue to propogate myths....if something has been proven to be incorrect it should be called out.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
And of course when people continue to propogate myths....if something has been proven to be incorrect it should be called out.
Pretty much. "A meal every two hours is going to increase your metabolism, it's crazy! Don't you go more than 1:59 without eating or else you'll get fat"

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty much. "A meal every two hours is going to increase your metabolism, it's crazy! Don't you go more than 1:59 without eating or else you'll get fat"
That's how I got so fat last off-season. I was at 2:03 all day.... could have been the 2am jack in the box though...I don't know :lol:

TexasGuy

Awards
Edit: In response to Jiggz (wrong reply button):

Regarding the hamburger issue, DistilledWater is right on point. As I've said, one diets cornerstone is anothers tombstone, acknowledging they all work as I've blatantly stated many times across the IF discussions and others. This includes traditional bodybuilding diets of frequent, high protein meals. You can not discount entirely empirical evidence with such far reaching and consistent results even if some white coats haven't summarized them explicitly.

Do bodybuilders work harder than powerlifters? No. Are their routines designed to take advantage of the physiological effects weight training has on the body differently? Yes. Bodybuilding routines are geared to maximize muscle damage where protein is ingested for repair as opposed to largely neural adaptations, though there is crossover and more to it than simply muscle damage, of course.

And great for the guy experiencing results with small amounts of protein! I wish my grocery bill could look like his but when i consume noticeably less amounts of protein than usual, I absolutely notice slowed recovery leading to performance drawbacks. The thing about empirical evidence is that majority rules, kinda like statistics. As far as pissing it out, the greater muscle damage and hormonal response of a bodybuilding routine over study controls is a limiting factor. Until studies are done on legitimate bodybuilders comparing protein intake to results there is no "book" to throw.

I'm sure I could make gains on less, but they would definitely come slower.

My response to eating "bad" foods stands. Regarding diet in general as the topic was concerned, apples to apples, steak, a salad and sweet potatoes will win over a ground up ****ty cut of meat, simple carbs and limited micros all day. Eliminating whole, nutrient rich foods for supps largely eliminates various phytochemical benefits and synergistic reactions beneficial to the body and its silly to stand up for crappy food by suggesting supps to make it ok. As far as gatorade is concerned, the original discussion point was a general diet, not a use for gatorade during an intense physical exertion where simple sugars can be beneficial. Your premise here is apples to oranges.

TexasGuy

Awards
I moved away from Plano a while back and I never got the chance to workout at Metroplex, but next time I visit it's on!!

Evidently we need to go back to BB.com where we came from. Funny thing is, I've never been a member there!!

ChickDiesels thread ??? How did I miss it?!?
Yeah, not involved over there either. I'm a little confused though, I've been saying various diets work across the boards but was put on the defensive about the most popular BB diet from the get go. Not only that but as an aside to a totally different point anyways so I don't know.
You just may see a certain somebody lifting a
"heavy ass weight" if you do make it by metroplex. Some other highly accomplished lifters too. It's awesome how cool they are about chatting and answering questions, including dietary preferences.

I forget where her thread is but it is about goals successfully accomplished in 2012

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

End rant
I am Carb Back Loading and dont care about calories.

My problem with the suggestion of eating "clean" is that it is possibly the reason why people are failing on their weight loss goals. Not to mention the potential rebound effect of just restricting calories.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Edit: In response to Jiggz (wrong reply button):

Regarding the hamburger issue, DistilledWater is right on point. As I've said, one diets cornerstone is anothers tombstone, acknowledging they all work as I've blatantly stated many times across the IF discussions and others. This includes traditional bodybuilding diets of frequent, high protein meals. You can not discount entirely empirical evidence with such far reaching and consistent results even if some white coats haven't summarized them explicitly.

Do bodybuilders work harder than powerlifters? No. Are their routines designed to take advantage of the physiological effects weight training has on the body differently? Yes. Bodybuilding routines are geared to maximize muscle damage where protein is ingested for repair as opposed to largely neural adaptations, though there is crossover and more to it than simply muscle damage, of course.

And great for the guy experiencing results with small amounts of protein! I wish my grocery bill could look like his but when i consume noticeably less amounts of protein than usual, I absolutely notice slowed recovery leading to performance drawbacks. The thing about empirical evidence is that majority rules, kinda like statistics. As far as pissing it out, the greater muscle damage and hormonal response of a bodybuilding routine over study controls is a limiting factor. Until studies are done on legitimate bodybuilders comparing protein intake to results there is no "book" to throw.

I'm sure I could make gains on less, but they would definitely come slower.

My response to eating "bad" foods stands. Regarding diet in general as the topic was concerned, apples to apples, steak, a salad and sweet potatoes will win over a ground up ****ty cut of meat, simple carbs and limited micros all day. Eliminating whole, nutrient rich foods for supps largely eliminates various phytochemical benefits and synergistic reactions beneficial to the body and its silly to stand up for crappy food by suggesting supps to make it ok. As far as gatorade is concerned, the original discussion point was a general diet, not a use for gatorade during an intense physical exertion where simple sugars can be beneficial. Your premise here is apples to oranges.
Well said. I don't think anyone (well at least I wasn't) was denying that the method you follow does not work, but it is just one means to an end, not the end in itself. That was basically my enitre point on the subject. What works for one, may not work for another. I think what the others were implying is that you do not have to eat X amount of meals in X amount of time and it is possible to achieve goals without specifically timing anything considering the body has tremendous capacity to store Carbs, Amino acids and FFA's and can utilize them dependant on the situation.

And by no means do I encourage a 'sh***y' diet with minimal micros from food sources; I always ensure everyone I talk to increases vegetables, fruits etc. etc. for all the benefits you mentioned. That wasn't the intention of my post haha, just one side of a very complex story.
I was merely stating that it is still possible to decrease weight by eating less even if someones food choices leave alot to be desired.

Total calories> Meal Compostition for weight loss strategies but understanding how important the diet is in relation to health (a seperate issue to weight loss) will require a greater knowledge of meal compostiton and eating "clean". Hope this clears up what I meant.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think its really a tricky subject when it comes to weight loss. I mean its hard to get the weight off
but its even harder to KEEP it off. I think it really can be a tricky subject its all about the stuff you eat
if your diet is crappy then your going to have a tough time losing the weight. That's the bottom line

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Total calories> Meal Compostition for weight loss strategies but understanding how important the diet is in relation to health (a seperate issue to weight loss) will require a greater knowledge of meal compostiton and eating "clean". Hope this clears up what I meant.
I can agree with this.

Macronutrients are not a substitute for real food (edible plants and animals)

One problem with your post is the word "clean". As I said before, this is highly subjective. Example, to me bacon, butter, fatty cuts of meat, white rice, would be clean eating and whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc dirty eating.

TexasGuy

Awards
Well said. I don't think anyone (well at least I wasn't) was denying that the method you follow does not work, but it is just one means to an end, not the end in itself. That was basically my enitre point on the subject. What works for one, may not work for another. I think what the others were implying is that you do not have to eat X amount of meals in X amount of time and it is possible to achieve goals without specifically timing anything considering the body has tremendous capacity to store Carbs, Amino acids and FFA's and can utilize them dependant on the situation.

And by no means do I encourage a 'sh***y' diet with minimal micros from food sources; I always ensure everyone I talk to increases vegetables, fruits etc. etc. for all the benefits you mentioned. That wasn't the intention of my post haha, just one side of a very complex story.
I was merely stating that it is still possible to decrease weight by eating less even if someones food choices leave alot to be desired.

It has been a schizophrenic discussion across multiple threads with various tangents and rabbit holes.

The originating comment is in a topic titled "Meals" under the bulk forum where a guy was having trouble meeting daily macros on his chosen diet plan and it was implied he skip breakfast. This began a defense of IF diets with other strategies being questioned or disregarded altogether and continued on across the board, often out of context anyways.

I've acknowledged and realize various diets work all along though not in every post so I'm sure picking up a few posts here and there has not given the clearest notion.

Hopefully we can all move along to the next controversial topic happy we are each hitting our goals, however we are best able.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I can agree with this.

One problem with your post is the word "clean". As I said before, this is highly subjective. Example, to me bacon, butter, fatty cuts of meat, white rice, would be clean eating and whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc dirty eating.
Hence the quotations ;) , I'm not even sure if I understand the term anymore; does it mean more micronutrient dense foods? Or just foods people perceive as being "better?" Because people percieve Kumara (sweet potato) as being the "clean" version for white potato, but I beg to differ.

But thats another topic for another day haha :D

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I think its really a tricky subject when it comes to weight loss. I mean its hard to get the weight off
but its even harder to KEEP it off. I think it really can be a tricky subject its all about the stuff you eat
if your diet is crappy then your going to have a tough time losing the weight. That's the bottom line
Keeping weight off should be easier than losing weight since you can eat closer to caloric maintenance (as opposed to blatantly disrupting homeostasis).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jigz, I just ate about 2lbs combined worth of both post workout (Christmas eve dinner with mi madre)

I figure, I'll eat both and let them decide who's best. I shall call it "food Darwinism" :-D
Haha is it only christmas eve there? Its the end of christmas day here, so have a merry christmas ;)

The thing I love about christmas is that I don't have to worry about my protein intake... Ham, Turkey, Chicken and Lamb all in abundance. Gotta love it

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
To sum up.....follow whatever strategy you want for fat loss as long as you don't violate the calorie defecit principle.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I am Carb Back Loading and dont care about calories.

My problem with the suggestion of eating "clean" is that it is possibly the reason why people are failing on their weight loss goals. Not to mention the potential rebound effect of just restricting calories.
My take exactly. I ate "clean" my entire life, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat rice, chicken, no fat, no nothing, always had extra fat and couldn't bulk to save my life. Tried out Keto diet and bam, everything changed. I react extremely bad to carbs. In many different ways, I get bloated, I stock up fat, I can't seem to lose the weight, I overeat, if there's a problem, you name it, besides, I always hated that kind of food.

Changed it up after reading "The Anabolic Diet" and everything was just peachy, switched to foods I actually enjoy eating, my blood work has never been better, so many different improvements in my overall life. I am able to be at lower % of BF and still increase strength and weight, something I was never able to accomplish before.

TexasGuy

Awards
I can agree with this.

At risk of ruining christmas spirit, I'm assuming by macronutrients you meant supplements? Because both whole foods and supps provide macronutrients...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At risk of ruining christmas spirit, I'm assuming by macronutrients you meant supplements? Because both whole foods and supps provide macronutrients...
Macronutrients = Protein, carbohydrates and fats.

When I said, "macronutrients are not a substitute for real food (edible plants and animals)", I was referring to “nutritionism” which is the idea that a collections of nutrients can be a suitable replacement natural foods.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think if i follow my routine there shouldn't be a problem with keeping the weight off at all. I think I just
need to follow my HIIT routines and hit them 5 times per week as well as lift at least 3 times per week a
and make sure that I am eating wisely and the weight should come right off! That's the plan

vassille

Awards
In general, weight should stay the same regardless if you go to the gym or not. Hormones are a big part of weight regulation. If weight goes up for "no appearent reason" then it's time to worry. It's either a hormonal imbalance or you are eating a diet rich in carbohydrates which the body stores as energy in the form of fat.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think that the tricky thing to monitor is your metabolism. There are different ways to kickstart your metabolism
and they are quick and easy fixes. I think adding cayenne pepper to your foods speeds up your metabolism as well
as adding cinnamon to your diet. You can add cinnamon to your eggs and also to your oats to kick it up a notch

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Calories in vs calories out workout 3 to 5 days a week cardio on off days dont overcomplicate something so easy. Find a diet u can stick with find one that works for u i loved IF i now do 6 meals a day for bulking, but at the end of the day no ammount of pepper, cinamon etc will help if ur diet and workout program are not on point.

Blingzip

Awards
So is HIIT for 5 days a week a good idea?? Especially if you're also lifting? I thought 2 days (maybe 3 tops) was the general recommendation, to allow for recovery, etc? Or perhaps it's 5 days HIIT cardio and minimal lifting? Obviously I know pretty little about this stuff so I"ve merely been following this thread and trying to learn......

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So is HIIT for 5 days a week a good idea?? Especially if you're also lifting? I thought 2 days (maybe 3 tops) was the general recommendation, to allow for recovery, etc? Or perhaps it's 5 days HIIT cardio and minimal lifting? Obviously I know pretty little about this stuff so I"ve merely been following this thread and trying to learn......
I would aim for 3 days as opposed to 5. Unless of course, you are specifically training for somethign which uses the HIIT practices; you can attain benefits in 3 sessions per week.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I would aim for 3 days as opposed to 5. Unless of course, you are specifically training for somethign which uses the HIIT practices; you can attain benefits in 3 sessions per week.
This;

If you want to do cardio 5 times a week, perhaps 3 days of HIIT and 2 days of low intensity longer duration fasted cardio?

vassille

Awards
Actually your approach is sound. The goal in my opinion is to be thinking about not weight loss but fat loss. Weight loss, one can just starve but it's not practical. Fat loss on the other hand, and this is a more in debt explanation to the PM you sent me, is what to aim for.
There are a few things to consider:
1. your body needs to be in hormonal balance. In other words without gym you should be able to maintain the weight at a decent body fat.
2. By doing too much cardio, the body will adopt after a while and will prompt you to eat more, thus negating the weight loss portion of it.
3. Resting methabolic rate is the key to fat loss.
If the body can burn fat most of the day then that's more powerful than cardio itself. Puting a higher resting methabolic rate with cardio is the sweet spot to lose body fat.
Now, we all have a resting methabolic rate some higher than others. However, if thyroid function is optimal and one builds a substantial amount of muscle along with low insulin those 3 together will easily put the body in a fat burning mode. If the thyroid is below optimal level, fat loss is almost imposible. Ask anybody with thyroid problems and they will tell you.

About the insulin. Insulin is a weight gain hormone and Glucagon is its antagonist, fat releasing. If cells are insulin impaired and insulin is high all the time, Glucagon is suppressed and fat loss will suffer.
What Im trying to say is that our bodies is a delicate machine working in balance with all the hormons. If it's out of balance there is no gym or cardio in the world that will give you the results desired if the balance is way off.
So, my advice is to do a full hormonal panel, glucose tolerance test, thyroid and see where you stand. Then build a diet and exercise program to enhance your phenotype.

Blingzip

Awards
This;

If you want to do cardio 5 times a week, perhaps 3 days of HIIT and 2 days of low intensity longer duration fasted cardio?
Sounds reasonable to me I guess, doing essentially both types of cardio, allowing for recovery, and still burning calories.

Blingzip

Awards
Actually your approach is sound. The goal in my opinion is to be thinking about not weight loss but fat loss. Weight loss, one can just starve but it's not practical. Fat loss on the other hand, and this is a more in debt explanation to the PM you sent me, is what to aim for.
There are a few things to consider:
1. your body needs to be in hormonal balance. In other words without gym you should be able to maintain the weight at a decent body fat.
2. By doing too much cardio, the body will adopt after a while and will prompt you to eat more, thus negating the weight loss portion of it.
3. Resting methabolic rate is the key to fat loss.
If the body can burn fat most of the day then that's more powerful than cardio itself. Puting a higher resting methabolic rate with cardio is the sweet spot to lose body fat.
Now, we all have a resting methabolic rate some higher than others. However, if thyroid function is optimal and one builds a substantial amount of muscle along with low insulin those 3 together will easily put the body in a fat burning mode. If the thyroid is below optimal level, fat loss is almost imposible. Ask anybody with thyroid problems and they will tell you.

About the insulin. Insulin is a weight gain hormone and Glucagon is its antagonist, fat releasing. If cells are insulin impaired and insulin is high all the time, Glucagon is suppressed and fat loss will suffer.
What Im trying to say is that our bodies is a delicate machine working in balance with all the hormons. If it's out of balance there is no gym or cardio in the world that will give you the results desired if the balance is way off.
So, my advice is to do a full hormonal panel, glucose tolerance test, thyroid and see where you stand. Then build a diet and exercise program to enhance your phenotype.
Thanks Vassille. I'll look into those vids. See my follow-up PM.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
After I use the Trim Down Advanced by Muscle Gauge Nutrition I'm thinking of doing another HIIT workout and run it 5 days per week.
What are your thoughts on HIIT? Do you think its effective? Or do you suggest something different? I think its a great form of cardio.

Triton24

Triton24

Awards
I think many good points were made, from my personal experience, it's so true how no two bodies react the same way to nutrition. My room mate and I weighed the same, did the exact same diet and the results were completely different. You can't imagine how upset I was when I busted my ass just as hard and I was the one with the body comp that didnt react in the positive manner as his did.

Long story short we have chalked it up to my body just didnt take to the same diet as his. Which leads me wondering if these blood panels I hear about really do help with dialing in your nutrition. Has anyone done this? What do these tests really tell you?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think its important to remember what type of body is doing the nutrition and fitness plan. I am an athletic body type so my
body doesn't respond to certain things that an inactive body type would respond to. I think its harder to lose fat when you have
an athletic body type because my metabolism is extremely high so its really tough to battle. I have to work extra hard

vassille

Awards
After I use the Trim Down Advanced by Muscle Gauge Nutrition I'm thinking of doing another HIIT workout and run it 5 days per week.
What are your thoughts on HIIT? Do you think its effective? Or do you suggest something different? I think its a great form of cardio.
HIIT is great cardio and I use it myself. It basically accomplished in 15min what regualr cardio does in 45 min. There is also high intensity weight training which if done correctly, will help with the cell's mythocandria to rev up and help increase methabolic rate.

vassille

Awards
I think many good points were made, from my personal experience, it's so true how no two bodies react the same way to nutrition. My room mate and I weighed the same, did the exact same diet and the results were completely different. You can't imagine how upset I was when I busted my ass just as hard and I was the one with the body comp that didnt react in the positive manner as his did.

Long story short we have chalked it up to my body just didnt take to the same diet as his. Which leads me wondering if these blood panels I hear about really do help with dialing in your nutrition. Has anyone done this? What do these tests really tell you?
Def helps and can make all the difference.
I'll give you an example,
I helped someone who used to eat 800cal a day and gain weight. First issue discovered was her thyroid being off. Started with t4 and still had problems. Then added t3 to the t4 as the body wouldnt make enough t3. Basically, t4 was high and t3 was low. WIth that fixed we moved to diet.She did have insulin resistance and she could not do without carbs...the usual up and down rollacoater with blood glucose. Now, she eats a low carb diet with occasional cheat meals, social drinker, few times a week in the gym and moderate cardio(HIIT 2x a week).
Now she eats 1600cal a day, maintaining her weight and at this time losing fat and gaining muscle.
She never felt better. So to answer your question it makes a big difference if you know what your body tendencies are and how to deal with them.

AlexErdellan

AlexErdellan

Awards
  • Established
Cardio. Find something you enjoy like martial arts, swimming, bike riding.

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
this hiit routine I found pretty intense..well, for my age anyway..[video=youtube;zpeN0xX1VVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeN0xX1VVg[/video]