What's your best way to lose weight?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
These are some great suggestions I will be using them all during my training period. I plan on doing
HIIT training at least 3 days per week as well as weight lifting 5 days per week this will kickstart
my metabolism. I also plan to eat at least 5 times a day and really eat clean.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
These are some great suggestions I will be using them all during my training period. I plan on doing
HIIT training at least 3 days per week as well as weight lifting 5 days per week this will kickstart
my metabolism. I also plan to eat at least 5 times a day and really eat clean.

Sounds like a good plan! Are you trying to lose the weight by a certain date??

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
These are some great suggestions I will be using them all during my training period. I plan on doingHIIT training at least 3 days per week as well as weight lifting 5 days per week this will kickstartmy metabolism. I also plan to eat at least 5 times a day and really eat clean.
Cardio/weightlifting do not affect metabolic rate to any significant degree.Portion size and total calories is far more important than food choices (aka eating "clean").

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Didn't know that mr. cooper thanks for the advice and yes Miss Q I am trying to lose the weight before the summer comes in.
I want to look my best last summer I had an 8 pack and I want to get that back! I know I can do it it will take some hard work
and discipline for sure but it will come I know it will. Just gotta put in the work

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Cardio/weightlifting do not affect metabolic rate to any significant degree.Portion size and total calories is far more important than food choices (aka eating "clean").

So....you saying cardio/weightlifting is not important and neither is eating clean??? Confused

rhondagraymon

rhondagraymon

Awards
Drinking a glass of warm water with lemon and honey as soon as you wake up in the morning (after :dump:), raises your metabolic level significantly. Water has significant health benefits. Through the night, your body is deprived of water, and since most of your body processes use water as a medium, your body’s machinery slows down through the night. When you drink water in the morning, it helps to rev the machinery back into gear, so it kicks up the metabolic rate. U could also press the acupuncture point below your nose and above the upper lip to increase metabolism rate. The lemon has Vitamin C, and honey has its health benefits , since they add vitamins, minerals, and flavor. So, assuming that your diet , exercise and activity level is the same, and you start drinking lemon water as soon as you wake up, it will increase your metabolic level. With an increase in your metabolic level, your body will burn more calories for the same activity.
also alternate days 15-20 mins in sauna can help you burn those xtra pounds

Last edited:
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So....you saying cardio/weightlifting is not important and neither is eating clean??? Confused
I belive he's saying that cardio and weights will not directly increase metabolism straight after a workout (i.e. create an 'afterburn') but this is intensity dependant. But your typical weight session and cardio (LISS) will not stimulate the afterburn effect.

It has been said that the compostition of calories (whether 3,000kcals from brown rice or 3,000kcals from big macs) are not important in the grand scheme as both equate too 3,000kcals, and if this causes you to go over your TDEE, then weight gain will occur regardless of how 'clean' you eat. In weight loss cases its more important to monitor TOTAL calories as this will determine the amount of weight lost.

Eating 'clean' is important just to meet your micronutrient goals but will not in effect be the sole reason for weight loss, you will still have to monitor total calorie intake

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Drinking a glass of warm water with lemon and honey as soon as you wake up in the morning (after :dump:), raises your metabolic level significantly. Water has significant health benefits. Through the night, your body is deprived of water, and since most of your body processes use water as a medium, your body’s machinery slows down through the night. When you drink water in the morning, it helps to rev the machinery back into gear, so it kicks up the metabolic rate. U could also press the acupuncture point below your nose and above the upper lip to increase metabolism rate. The lemon has Vitamin C, and honey has its health benefits , since they add vitamins, minerals, and flavor. So, assuming that your diet , exercise and activity level is the same, and you start drinking lemon water as soon as you wake up, it will increase your metabolic level. With an increase in your metabolic level, your body will burn more calories for the same activity.
also alternate days 15-20 mins in sauna can help you burn those xtra pounds
I'm gonna go right ahead and call this one out. There's really no scientific background that would suggest Lemon + Honey will raise your metabolism in the morning, let alone pressing below your nose and upper lip; if that was the case I would walk around all day with my finger under my nose or develop something to be worn there and make millions.

TexasGuy

Awards
Drinking Water May Speed Weight Loss, on webmd (still can't post links)

Yes, it's an article and not a stand alone, peer reviewed study. Yes, it is an article discussing the findings of referenced peer reviewed studies that can be researched independently should a reader so desire.

As I interpreted the post, water was suggested as the metabolic stimulant, the honey and lemon for additional health benefits.

Regarding lemon juice, as it is acidic, it stabilizes your blood sugar level, facilitating an environment conducive to weight loss.

Drinking adequate levels of water, and spiking it with lemon juice, is conducive to weight loss but it is not a magic bullet.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I belive he's saying that cardio and weights will not directly increase metabolism straight after a workout (i.e. create an 'afterburn') but this is intensity dependant. But your typical weight session and cardio (LISS) will not stimulate the afterburn effect.

It has been said that the compostition of calories (whether 3,000kcals from brown rice or 3,000kcals from big macs) are not important in the grand scheme as both equate too 3,000kcals, and if this causes you to go over your TDEE, then weight gain will occur regardless of how 'clean' you eat. In weight loss cases its more important to monitor TOTAL calories as this will determine the amount of weight lost.

Eating 'clean' is important just to meet your micronutrient goals but will not in effect be the sole reason for weight loss, you will still have to monitor total calorie intake

Yes, I understand that Jiigzz, thank you.

Here's the thing though (not directed at you) I have gone from being very overweight to 4 weeks out from competing, never once counting my calories/macros or any of that other stuff and did just fine. I ate clean, left carbs out at night, and worked my ass off in the gym. If I'm going to diet then I'm certainly not going to sit around eating burgers and fries because it's in my macros. I would look like crap and feel like crap.

Telling someone that wants to lose weight that it doesn't matter if they go to the gym or eat clean is ridiculous. Seems like a lot of ppl like to give advice that sounds like they are copying and pasting from text book's instead of using real life situation's. Everything does not work the same for everyone. If I did not utilize cardio and weight's, and ate whatever I wanted (as long as it's in my macros) then I would not look the way I do, and that's just a fact. I was under the impression that this is a BB'ing website, maybe I was wrong.....

Essentially, you can't out train a sh!*ty diet.
Never said you could

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's the thing though (not directed at you) I have gone from being very overweight to 4 weeks out from competing, never once counting my calories/macros or any of that other stuff and did just fine. I ate clean, left carbs out at night, and worked my ass off in the gym. If I'm going to diet then I'm certainly not going to sit around eating burgers and fries because it's in my macros. I would look like crap and feel like crap.

Telling someone that wants to lose weight that it doesn't matter if they go to the gym or eat clean is ridiculous. Seems like a lot of ppl like to give advice that sounds like they are copying and pasting from text book's instead of using real life situation's. Everything does not work the same for everyone. If I did not utilize cardio and weight's, and ate whatever I wanted (as long as it's in my macros) then I would not look the way I do, and that's just a fact. I was under the impression that this is a BB'ing website, maybe I was wrong.....
YEA! Screw empirical evidence from so called science.

Ones single persons personal experience trumps any peer-reviewed study and is all I need to know. Their biased subjective experience is all one needs in order to separate whats real and whats not.

Science- schmience!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
YEA! Screw empirical evidence from so called science.

Ones single persons personal experience trumps any peer-reviewed study and is all I need to know. Their biased subjective experience is all one needs in order to separate whats real and whats not.

Science- schmience!

Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Never said that either. Like I said my way is not the right way for everyone, but why don't more ppl on here talk about what works FOR THEM in real life instead of - i read this study.....i read that study......easy way out.... there seems to be a lot of that going on....oh well....like i said whatever works
What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree 100%. If you have superior genetics, yes you can eat whatever you want and see results. If it was as simple as calories, everyone would be walking around at 6%bf and 18" arms.....

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most of us believe in evidence based practice which is essentially the blending of science and art. You on the other hand seem to have the mindset that the only information of value comes from the "trenches" or as you say "real life" This mindset is a mistake. You can not disassociate the art from the underlying science that supports it. Science gives us an objective measure to which help guide us in making decisions. This mindset that chooses to ignore this are only really doing an injustice to the themselves and that is perfectly fine (I am of the belief people have the right to be stupid if they so choose to be. Got my fingers crossed darwins theory will prevail in the end) but when these individuals start to spread this concept I do feel the need to chime in and help add some perspective. As I mentioned above in my sarcastic post, without consideration of scientific research, you will ultimately fall prey to the biases of subjectivity.

Now, this does not mean that everything should be based on research alone and that personal anecdotal evidence is somehow irrelevant. It just shouldnt be the main driving force to creating ideas. Rather, one should be current with the available research and use this as their basis for decision making. You take the conclusions drawn from the research (as a whole, not just a single study) and apply them based on your personal experiences and whatever "real world" factors you need to consider (i.e injury, illness, schedule, convineince and practicality, etc) This is evidence-based practice and is what this industry needs more of

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Did I say food choices don't matter? I said portion control and overall macronutrient intake is far more important.

These nutrition debates always end up in semantics, which is why I'm not gonna bother here. If you do truly find scientific evidence to be of little worth, though, then there is a fundamental flaw in your approach to problem-solving.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I agree 100%. If you have superior genetics, yes you can eat whatever you want and see results. If it was as simple as calories, everyone would be walking around at 6%bf and 18" arms.....

Exactly....wouldn't we all love have those genetics, BUT WE DON'T!!!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Most of us believe in evidence based practice which is essentially the blending of science and art. You on the other hand seem to have the mindset that the only information of value comes from the "trenches" or as you say "real life" This mindset is a mistake. You can not disassociate the art from the underlying science that supports it. Science gives us an objective measure to which help guide us in making decisions. This mindset that chooses to ignore this are only really doing an injustice to the themselves and that is perfectly fine (I am of the belief people have the right to be stupid if they so choose to be. Got my fingers crossed darwins theory will prevail in the end) but when these individuals start to spread this concept I do feel the need to chime in and help add some perspective. As I mentioned above in my sarcastic post, without consideration of scientific research, you will ultimately fall prey to the biases of subjectivity.

Now, this does not mean that everything should be based on research alone and that personal anecdotal evidence is somehow irrelevant. It just shouldnt be the main driving force to creating ideas. Rather, one should be current with the available research and use this as their basis for decision making. You take the conclusions drawn from the research (as a whole, not just a single study) and apply them based on your personal experiences and whatever "real world" factors you need to consider (i.e injury, illness, schedule, convineince and practicality, etc) This is evidence-based practice and is what this industry needs more of

Again.....I'm already bored......what did you say earlier? Science- schmience!

What's your REAL WORLD experience??

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Exactly....wouldn't we all love have those genetics, BUT WE DON'T!!!
I have low T, high E, high cortisol, low TSH, and was in the 15th percentile of bodyweight throughout my entire childhood. What genetics?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

The tenets of my statements are used by physicians in my locale in the treatment of obesity. Hundreds of thousands of success stories from one clinic alone. Is that real world enough?

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
The tenets of my statements are used by physicians in my locale in the treatment of obesity. Hundreds of thousands of success stories from one clinic alone. Is that real world enough?
Was not directed towards you:)

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I have low T, high E, high cortisol, low TSH, and was in the 15th percentile of bodyweight throughout my entire childhood. What genetics?
Wait....so your telling me you ate children's cereal at night and that caused you to get down to 7% b/fat?? Come on mr c

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Coop, was your secret kids cereal vs. teenage cereal? :D

I will agree that portion control is a huge factor. What is your premies on my ability to eat 3,200 calories/day on a keto diet and maintaining lower bodyfat than a 3,000 calories diet with incorporated carbs?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Wait....so your telling me you ate children's cereal at night and that caused you to get down to 7% b/fat?? Come on mr c
It didn't cause my weight loss. There are some serious misinterpretations of the points I'm trying to get across.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

And with that I am done

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

I will agree that portion control is a huge factor. What is your premies on my ability to eat 3,200 calories/day on a keto diet and maintaining lower bodyfat than a 3,000 calories diet with incorporated carbs?
There have been several research reviews showing no benefit to keto on isocaloric diets. Keto will reduce BW and increase the impression of weight loss due to its effects on water, and it may make dieting more manageable by eliminating cravings, but the data repeatedly shows no direct body composition benefits

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

because you are using the fallacy of calories in vs calories out as the sole basis of weight loss

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There have been several research reviews showing no benefit to keto on isocaloric diets. Keto will reduce BW and increase the impression of weight loss due to its effects on water, and it may make dieting more manageable by eliminating cravings, but the data repeatedly shows no direct body composition benefits
With that said I calorie and carb/fat cycle and use if.

Best way. A little of ever diet in there lol

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No doubt the keto diet offers a lot less water & bloating which can often lead to a leaner "look" I'm going on 5 point skin folds that show a credible difference. I also know that increased water can cause for added mm to folds, especially in your mid-section. However, not enough to shake a stick at if you're returning to a "normal" state.

Guess I'm an anomaly, my mom always said I was special....

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I stated happens to also work for me. I got to 7% BF eating a 300g carbohydrate meal of kids cereal and sugar prior to bed almost nightly.
I am going to be in your area tues and thurs for the next couple months. What say you we have some of this magical sugar cereal for lunch sometime :)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
because you are using the fallacy of calories in vs calories out as the sole basis of weight loss
Yeah you're right, ive never use skin folds & tape measurements in any of my personal progress. Same goes for weights in sets and pictures. I only step on the scale Saturday mornings to track progress.....

Not my first rodeo cowboy

Cris Carter "C'mon man"

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I am going to be in your area tues and thurs for the next couple months. What say you we have some of this magical sugar cereal for lunch sometime :)
I just left for break but you know I'm down on either day. And perhaps a lifting session as well?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just left for break but you know I'm down on either day. And perhaps a lifting session as well?
I wont be around there till towards the end of January and will be there for umm I dunno say the next 5 years! (FML) You belong to a local gym there? If they have some sort of day pass deal then I am down (I can also check with our facilities we have and see how they feel about visitors) but man I was really looking forward to some lucky charms :(

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wont be around there till towards the end of January and will be there for umm I dunno say the next 5 years! (FML) You belong to a local gym there? If they have some sort of day pass deal then I am down (I can also check with our facilities we have and see how they feel about visitors) but man I was really looking forward to some lucky charms :(
Josh no invite. Gotta say I'm kinda hurt lol. I should have my new whip. Will want to it some miles on that badboy

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A bunch of carbs before bed is crazy talk. All that will do is make you fat. Dont you know your metabolism completely shuts down at night instantly making you fat.

*Continues to eat frosted flakes with a sliced banana and milk. Getting ready for my apple turnover covered in vanilla ice cream. Oh how I wish I knew about this sooner*

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be technical Leptin peaks at night and optimal fat burning occurs a few hours after sleep

Peak Leptin even higher with that high can meal and train fasted in the morning your metabolism will be high.

Carb back loading

But metabolism doesn't completely shut down.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be technical Leptin peaks at night and optimal fat burning occurs a few hours after sleep

Peak Leptin even higher with that high can meal and train fasted in the morning your metabolism will be high.

Carb back loading

But metabolism doesn't completely shut down.
I know it was my attempt at humor. Carb back loading has been great to me. A much better way to live.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Josh no invite. Gotta say I'm kinda hurt lol. I should have my new whip. Will want to it some miles on that badboy
lol, umm Oops.. I wasn't sure how coop felt about threesomes and clown tattoos.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the matter kid? Don't ya like clowns?

No?

Why? Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we ****in' funny? You best come up with an answer, cos I'm gonna come back here and check on you and your momma and if you ain't got a reason why you hate clowns, I'm gonna kill your whole ****ing family.

Sorry had to do it

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yep, the 12th street gym is well-known among BBers. It's your typical gym where professionals and addicts training, and slamming weights is acceptable. 3 day pass

vassille

Awards
Dude you want quick fast weight loss... DNP is the fastest way to blow fat off your body!
Haha true, it brings back memories...like waking around in shorts and t-shirt in the middle of the winter:)

TexasGuy

Awards
Yes, I understand that Jiigzz, thank you.

Never said you could
I know. I was responding to your post? Maybe I misunderstood your tone for genuine confusion.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yes.

Science is great. Peer reviewed studies are fantastic. That said, it's easy to get caught up in dogmatic bull****. The scientific community doesn't exactly gear studies and resources to bodybuilding. Most studies demonstrating upper limits of protein intake for example don't take in to account the amount of muscle damage an intense bodybuilding training session will cause, and ignore completely the benefits of high protein intake outside of protein synthesis. Nor do most studies isolate for the hormonal response bodybuilding triggers and the effects of that on any other aspect of our diets. Our bodies are not the same as the average person, or even the average "regular exerciser" and this is a huge limiting factor IMO.

Lab results don't always carry over to real life application and people tend to forget that, especially when there are variables to consider outside the study controls.

And yeah, there are studies to show eating hamburgers and fries, even within a macro limit, will cause a negative response on physique. They won't be titled "Effect of Hamburgers on Physique" though. You will have to find studies on simple carbs (bun), saturated fats (meat), and how vitamins and minerals effect metabolism, nutrient absorption and use et cetera, then deduce the lack of vitamins and minerals in the typical cheeseburger is a negative thing for a physique goal, especially when a nutrient dense, low in saturated fat meal with complex carbs (the effects of which are also researchable) could be eaten instead.

Empirical evidence has its legitimate place, and bodybuilding is essentially it's own petri-dish. Optimal? Not necessarily. Have people built huge and impressive physiques using techniques that aren't explicitly inferred from a lab test? Yes. Time and time and time and time again.

If eating like **** worked, people would be scarfing ice cream and cheeseburgers all day.