What's the best these days for mass?

MCrask79

Awards
Afternoon fellas!

I am about to complete my second month of Ryan Humiston's 2.0 program. I have already completed two months of his orignal full gym workout. I know he gets a lot of hate from many people but I have enjoyed the crazy high volume and have had good results from it.

I am now looking for a plan that more targets mass gains. My nutrition is pretty dialed in and all that good stuff. I am just asking opinions on a program that is shaped around mass building that others may have used and liked.

I have done that Jim's 5/3/1 program before and looking for something with a little more volume. Something that has all the main lifts and accessory lifts laid out for you. Maybe in the 8-15 rep range?

Lets hear some good programs!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Honestly, mass gains are mostly food driven. More food = more mass. Pretty much all bodybuilding a d powerbuilding programs work fine as long as your progressively beating the last session and coming close or to failure

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If your joints are good I suggest a DC training program and if your older or joints need a break then look to Renaissance periodization training

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly, mass gains are mostly food driven. More food = more mass. Pretty much all bodybuilding a d powerbuilding programs work fine as long as your progressively beating the last session and coming close or to failure
LOL.
I was going to say the same thing.
Chicken, Steak, Fish ..

MCrask79

Awards
Yeah joints are pretty good. I am having a slight issue with my left inner elbow pain (golfer's elbow?) but other than that Im still kicking!

Im shooting for a 30% carb/30% fat/40% protein macros but normally end up a little short on my carb and fats and high on protein.

Came down from 284lbs in December to 234lbs now so trying not to gain fat back.

But have recently picked up my calorie intake (mostly by more ounces of chicken and rice) and trying to maintain the 235ish range.

BF is down from 27% to 15.5% (inbody 770 scanner)

MCrask79

Awards
If your joints are good I suggest a DC training program and if your older or joints need a break then look to Renaissance periodization training
Do any apps have a DC method available for phones? I like to be able to have it to refer back to during my workouts. A fellow gym member has talked about using a Szat program that has an excel sheet to track previous workouts with it. Any experience there?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Do any apps have a DC method available for phones? I like to be able to have it to refer back to during my workouts. A fellow gym member has talked about using a Szat program that has an excel sheet to track previous workouts with it. Any experience there?
Ill look around for some easy DC info when i get a chance.

You would do yourself a huge justice cutting to 10-12%ish before trying to put on size. At 15-18% I'd be telling guys it's almost time to call it quits and diet again. The higher your bf the more likely you will add fat faster. In most cases at least

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
By the way. Congratulations, loosing 50 lbs and dropping 12% bodyfat is a HUGE accomplishment.

Here's a really good overview of DC training principles. IL look for a more specific program or app when I get to a computer

MCrask79

Awards
By the way. Congratulations, loosing 50 lbs and dropping 12% bodyfat is a HUGE accomplishment.

Here's a really good overview of DC training principles. IL look for a more specific program or app when I get to a computer

Thanks! I am finding a bunch of good info (which you also provided) on the net! Looking like I am going have to build a sheet to print off and log my lifts in a journal to keep track of my progress.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
As pre-written programs go, I would've suggested the DC as well, that Smont already talked about and Layne Norton's PHAT. I usually compile my own programs, but I also like to get back to these two aforementioned programs from time to time. And also the Wendler's 5-3-1, that you mentioned, but I only use it for strenght / 1 rep max and utilize it for the compound movements and incorporate it to different programming for other excercises and muscle groups.

Last edited:
TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another vote for DC or if you want something a bit different check out TBJP's programming. Ive been following that for a while after doing over half a year with DC and im enjoying it and progressing nicely.

MCrask79

Awards
Alright fellas, lets here some feed back again.

I have done some reading and research on the DC training and plan to jump on it next week as some of you recommended. I have created an excel sheet that Im going to print to keep track of my weights and workouts.

The following is how I have it laid out. I am going to swap a few more of the exercises out and make it a 60 day program.

I have incorporated a cardio day every other day just to let me muscles recover but also because I'm a mix of an endomorph and a mesomorph naturally. I'm 6'3" 235lbs currently but I can gain weight/muscle easily. I feel better with a small amount of cardio done. (incline treadmill or couple mile fast walk outside)

Critics on what I should change to my sheet? @Smont @Renew1
(I've heard both people who track warm up sets and who doesn't. so I just included it for the hell of it)

Day 1ExerciseRepsWarm-upWarm-upWarm-upWorking setStretch
ChestIncline Bench Press11-15 RP
ShouldersSeated Military Press11-15RP
TricepsReverse grip smith machine press15-20RP
Back WidthPull ups11-15 RP
Back ThicknessDeadlift11-15 RP
Day 2
Cardio
Day 3ExerciseRepsWarm-upWarm-upWarm-upWorking setStretch
BicepsBarbell Curls11-15 RP
ForearmsReverse barbell curls10-20 SS
CalvesSeated Calf Raises12-15 SS