some of the stupid things people say about working out

Vtaper

Awards
What a great topic, I could write a book about this, but i'll keep it short: I was showing two female co-workers how to squat correctly, now I am a competitive bodybuilder and was off season weighing 260 around 9%bf, when a 5'5", 130lbs "trainer" inturupted us to say they should not go down to parallel because it will hurt their back, and to NEVER tilt their head back because the empty bar we were using would pinch nerves in their necks. The whole thing happend so fast I just stood there speechless. He then preceeded to bring his female client to the assisted dip machine, set it on the easiest level(full stack) and had her do about 30 reps within a 4 inch range of motion.
Moral of the story: Why spend years to look the part when you can get an ACE certification and know everything!

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Someone should write a book on this topic! They could get collaborative stories from ALL OVER the place! It would be so great.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I was doing decline db presses and when I went to get bigger db's this old man jumps on it to do his sit ups. Then I was like excuse me I was using that. Then he says this is a sit up bench go use that one over there that's a weight lifting bench. I'm like no thats a decline bench. Then he does like 3 sets and rests on it for like a minute every set, while I'm just glaring at him muttering f'n old man mother f'r.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
theres this hot chick that I'm friends with at work who runs marathons and what not and keeps in good shape. This one security guard (older guy), always tries to talk to her about him lifting and ****. One day I saw her talking to him at the desk and heard him talking about lifting so I didn't let them see me.

He went on to tell her how he gained 30 pounds of muslce in like a month. Other people heard that and we all just started cracking up in the elevator. The funniest though is when I see him after work getting ready to go work out in his tight ass red sweatpants and t-shirt and it doesn't even look like he gained 5 pounds of muscle in a month.

Then I heard him talking about some food..I wish i knew what exactly he was referring to, but he said whatever food it was "burns fat"..i was like hmm i want some of that, do they have it in the cafe?

EasyE

Awards
I always like the mumblers, when you can clearly hear what there saying. Just the other day as I was walking throught the gym, I heard this guy (looked like freakin pee wee) mumbling something to his friend "look at this guy..whats he takin?". I just looked at him, shook my head, and laughed.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I still think this thread could be catalyst for a great book.

haplochrom

Awards
I work at a gym, so i could post volumes.

I personally like the guys that have been working out in the gym for years at the same time that i do with not much improvement, yet all of a sudden get a 30 pound increase in weight. Ya, like puberty delayed just for you to get those delts before spring break.

Just as crazy are the guys who i have seen working out out with the same routine, same weight, same intensity (zero), and subsequently, the same body YEAR AFTER YEAR!

There is the cardio freak who does 2 hours on the stairmaster at 285BPM everyday but cant burn that lst 5 pounds. Here's a hint, work with your body, try walking.

Armzilla supersets flatbench and curls six out of seven days. Even god rested on sundays.

The muscle&fitness expert does any and every exercise depending on what issue he reads that morning.

Crazy exercise man will pull machines across the entire gym to do preacher curls with the smith machine, or take up MY POWERRACK for his rear delt partials with the rubber coated 3.5 pounders. At least half of his workouts REQUIRE a swiss ball. And apparently loud breathing is his sidekick.

Loud mp3 player guy strolls through with mock intensity. Hey buddy, we all heard linkin park ruin their barely mediocre carer with jay z, but do we have to hear it above my mp3 player. i hear there is a sale on tribal/gothic letter tattoos, why dont you pick up some better headphones on your way.

This really doesnt apply to anyone's gym but mine, but there is a guy that looks just like Paul Mitchell who works out. It freaks me the hell out.

tlow4u

Awards
The stupidest thing? Anything while I'm in the middle of a set.:wtf: Please stfu until I complete the set at least. I'm tempted to say: "Just because you talk on your cell phone while doing some stupid cable movement doesn't make it a good idea, asshole."

2fast2live

Awards
I had a guy tell me he didnt want to get too big because girls didnt like that. LOL

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
The stupidest thing? Anything while I'm in the middle of a set.:wtf: Please stfu until I complete the set at least. I'm tempted to say: "Just because you talk on your cell phone while doing some stupid cable movement doesn't make it a good idea, asshole."

:rofl: LOL! I think we've all been bothered by one of those gym etiquitte
challenged dummies in the middle of a set. And then they ussually get mad when you ignore them until your set is over. :nutkick:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I had a guy tell me he didnt want to get too big because girls didnt like that. LOL
U should have told him "Dont worry, you wont." (especially if your afraid to do things the right way to gain the first ounce of muscle, let alone 80lbs of it.)

Its like in their mind: "Gee, maybe if I train really bad, and really half ass, then I wont accidently gain 60lbs of shredded mass overnite, and that way I'll be a sensation with the ladies.":nutkick: :rofl: :rofl: :nutkick: :rofl: :rofl:

2fast2live

Awards
OMG i just remembered a guy at my first gym who used to wrap rubber bands around his wrists to make his arms more vascular!!!!

BryanFury

Awards
OMG i just remembered a guy at my first gym who used to wrap rubber bands around his wrists to make his arms more vascular!!!!
I've seen this...and feel sad because it really does happen. :wtf:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I do that. If it's good enough for the Ultimate Warrior, it is good enough for me. I suppose you think it is stupid that I paint my face to go the gym too :rolleyes:

;)

BryanFury

Awards
Hey, I do that. If it's good enough for the Ultimate Warrior, it is good enough for me. I suppose you think it is stupid that I paint my face to go the gym too :rolleyes:

;)
Face paint changes the matter, because thats just awesome.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Maybe he was trying to harness the power of occlusion!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
how about the classic follow you around guy who does whatever muscle group you do just to show you how tough he is and how he can look like a jack ass lifting weight way to big for him. theres this guy in my gym and he and his buddy were mocking me the other day about how he'll be way stronger than me when hes my size(not to my face but secretly). So i proceed to walk to his incline bench where he was benching and call over my girlfriend to do her warm up sets. lol take that bieotch.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have this one guy who everytime accuses me of being on every type of roid possible, just because we know the same dealer. It gets embarassing when I am not on anything except Phera when I am "on" Not cause I am ashamed of roids, but hes makes a big deal about it and shouts hes on Dbol on DECA and all this **** while I am trying to lift and get some money sets....

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
LOL...love it! And the women who say, " I just want to tone up, not get muscles like you. My husband wouldn't like that." Well then tell your husband to quit checkin' out my butt :hammer:.
LoL - classic!
Personally, I like chicks that squat, and have become quite adept at sneaking a peek at certain times...I think...LoL

I think I must have been quite lucky at all my gyms. I don't really remember anyone telling me anything stupid. I've seen a lot of stupid things, but nothing said to my face. If anything, they're always valid questions.

I *think* I have had a few people say something to me while in a middle of a set. I have my headphones on, and am known to be quite intense during my lifts - so I just ignore them until I'm done... and I catch my breath. I'm always polite, but I will never acknowedge someone when I'm in the middle of lifting.

Now for as watching some idiot flabby girl who struts around at my gym like she's <insert 'gangsta lingo here> monkey with her boyfriend - while I think doing snatches is a great exercise, and I commend you for doing them, you look like a weak idiot to me when you drop those 10lbs bad boy plates to the ground from the shoulder postion.

Yes, yes, I know it feels cool doing it.
Yes, yes, it almost sounds cool too.
Yes, yes, those big powerlifters do it too....but those powerlifters are also using powerlifting weights (encased in rubber) and on a mat designed to absorb the impact. You, my dear, are just trying to break the weights and my sanity.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Now that I think about it, I've had that happen to me too. He recommended I stop trying to get big.

I'd answer "Look dude, chicks didn't like me before I worked out, why should I give a frak what they think now?" LoL

I workout because I love myself, not because I am searching for someone else's love.

(just to clarify, although the "surveys" suggest this what he said is true, I can only conclude from my life that I'm either not as muscle-bound as described by these surveys, or I'm an "exception" to a good number of girls).

...or that girls really don't know what they want until they get it... :)

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
yeah, why is it that after hearing about all these surveys on how women are turned off by men with muscular physiques, then u turn around and see a guy with a great physique getting with some of the most incredibly hot women, and often many of them. Hmmmmm. I know that the more I've progressed in bodybuilding, both the #/frequency of women interestd in me, and the DEGREE of their initial attraction to me has increased steadily and in direct proportion to my bodybuilding progress.

It cant be my increased confidence, cuz Im still a little on the shy side albeit not as much as before however.
Maybe its because they subconciously attach negative personality stereotypes to the body when they see men like that. Who knows. Honestly, from talking to them, and seeing how they percieve certain bodytypes and how they react in real life...... I dont think most WOMEN even know the why and wherefore of this paradox.

2fast2live

Awards
Yeah women must hate it, before i was married when i would take my shirt off for the first time in front of a woman the big smile and the words oh my lord must have meant they were discusted lol

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
two guys i know mock me because i go to gym cause its just full of big muscle heads with 1000 dollar tans flexing in the mirror. i mean he is right, but what i dont understand is where the problem lies.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
speaking of girls that complain about guys being "too muscular"..... theres this one chick at the grocery store whos been eternally "butt hurt" because kwyck never liked her.....and whenever she sees me or him, she says " kwyck is sofat now...." and shes serious......:rolleyes:

its all out of jealousy....i swear...like the motto goes:

"you hate what you can not have"

id say most girls love guys that have some muscle......maybe not jay cutler style...but "normal" muscular builds....the ones that dont like muscles (or so they say....) have their own self esteem issues...

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
speaking of girls that complain about guys being "too muscular"..... theres this one chick at the grocery store whos been eternally "butt hurt" because kwyck never liked her.....and whenever she sees me or him, she says " kwyck is sofat now...." and shes serious......:rolleyes:
" kwyck is sofat now...."

Mrs. Gimpy agrees, "Yeah, he doesn't want to gain anymore fat either, so that's why he picked me and not you."

LoL, sorry - I should be playing nice.:afro:

johngalt

Awards
So working at a college gym for 3 years you see your fair share:
1. The guy that uses wrist straps (not wrist wraps) while on the incline bench press.
2. The guy that does weighted situps with a 25 pound plate and a 10 pound plate tied together with shoe strings. And yes, our gym does have plenty of 35 pound plates.
3. A guy in the squat rack, standing on a plyo box, doing dumbbell curls.
The list goes on and on and on...

Spartan117

Awards
I am not that huge, but I get people asking me what I take...like its that easy, but I usually just reply that I take the time to work out. They never like that answer.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
So working at a college gym for 3 years you see your fair share:
1. The guy that uses wrist straps (not wrist wraps) while on the incline bench press.
2. The guy that does weighted situps with a 25 pound plate and a 10 pound plate tied together with shoe strings. And yes, our gym does have plenty of 35 pound plates.
3. A guy in the squat rack, standing on a plyo box, doing dumbbell curls.
The list goes on and on and on...
Please post more. I love this thread!

:toofunny:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah guys, I've found myself looking forward to new posts on this thread, this is great, keep it coming. (Id post stuff myself, but most of my stories arent that funny, just frustrating roll your eyes type of crap.)

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
Well, I have seen some of the same stuff that everyone has commented on, but this is my pet peeve.
The gym I goto now is at my work so it is full of older people that do not really know much about anything but I commend them for being in there and at least trying to do something.

Anyway, This one guy comes in and insists on wearing a weight belt on every lift. (Well, the only lifts he ever does is bench and curls) I think that they think they are "hardcore" lifters if they wear a belt. But he doesn't even use it correctly, he never pulls it to a tight fit and the belt he uses can't support **** anyway.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Anyway, This one guy comes in and insists on wearing a weight belt on every lift. (Well, the only lifts he ever does is bench and curls) I think that they think they are "hardcore" lifters if they wear a belt. But he doesn't even use it correctly, he never pulls it to a tight fit and the belt he uses can't support **** anyway.
I know what you're talking about, but I love those guys. Someone squatting 135 with a loose belt or knee wraps that have crawled down around his calves is just hilarious to me for some reason.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Last night I saw a guy was about to do flat DB bench and he had a pair of 80lbers. So i was watching him between curls and I couldn't believe what i was seeing. He was doing 1/4 reps and grunting like he was lifting the world. I just shook my head. He even moved up to 90's and did the same thing. He then went over to the incline hammer and put 2 45's and a 25 on each side, wrapped his wrist straps around the handles and went through his prep. Witch was him snorting and huffing. After about 30 seconds he then presses it! Oh **** it didn't budge. I almost laughed myself of the lat pull.

Spartan117

Awards
I had a guy yesterday tell me that skull crushers would make my triceps smaller, but stronger. He also said that he was about to start the On Cycle/Off cycle supplement from GNC, but he the worker told him he would need 6-oxo w/ that stuff or he would get man tits. I'm not really familiar with that stuff but the name kinda makes me think that the off cycle is kinda like the pct.

This morning in the gym there is this guy who is an A**hole, but he loaded up 255 on the BB bench and would only press it about a 1/4 of the way, he then jumped up and would try to curl some weight but only bent over at the waist. What the hell is wrong w/people. Oh yeah he's a doctor.

Khyron

Awards
I got more. Some guy at my gym asked me why go so heavy? I was stunned at frist and then said to him why even workout.

Khyron

Awards
Some power lifter that does 5 sets of bench press or squat or deathlift for 25mins. Yeah that his workout. Told me to get a bed and live in the gym.

Spartan117

Awards
Yeah I had an older guy telling me that if I keep lifting heavy my heart muscle will grow and I will not live as long. He tried to back that up by asking how many older bodybuilders do I see alive? Wow and to think I'm not going to live as long because of how I work out.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I am not that huge, but I get people asking me what I take...like its that easy, but I usually just reply that I take the time to work out. They never like that answer.
It implies they're doing something wrong or simply don't have what it takes. I used to get that when my bodyfat was a lot lower. "Geez, what are you on?!" That was before I knew what dbol was. too bad I found out what nachos were too.

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
i workout at a college gym and a guy i know got in the fly machine, strapped himself in by the wrists (actually his buddy had to do it for him) and grabbed some db's as to do a fly motion and a incline db press at the same time. he was explaining it to his friend and said it "is like a superset for your chest!" and then proceeded to ask his friend to unstrap him because he couldnt do it alone.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
The guy that does skull crushers with a 35 plate a side on a flat bench with a straight bar letting the bar slam the bench behind his head then arching is back and lifting is butt sky high to get the bar moving, then locking out extremely hard. This same jackass does "curls" with 225, he goes into a power rack again with an olympic bar and jumps while swinging back to get the bar up, then smirks at me when i'm curring 115lbs with good form for 10 reps.

"When you stop working out your going to be really fat because all that muscle will turn into fat!"

"Your using too much weight, your going to hurt yourself" (When i was shrugging 435lbs behind my back)

"Ya but if i used as much steroids as that guy i'd be that huge too"

"Naw man i don't use creatine or protein i'm all natural, I like to know that what muscle i've got is all mine"

"Creatine ****s up your liver and kidneys man, your going to die young"

"Your going to die young from that ****" (Past co-workers smoking cigaretts and eating doughnuts remarking about my drinking a protein shake)

I've also had old men over the years including a teacher at my old highschool come up to me when deadlifting some 455lbs that i'm going to hurt myself and that deadlifts aren't safe and should be avoided entirely :icon_lol:

Ok i'm done my rant.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
you eat 7 times a day? gasp your body can only process so much nutrients in a lifetime, your going to wear out your bodies life expectancy( says the 150 pound man). I dont need to use protein/creatine im goona do it natural ( says the guy whos been lifting for 3 months). how about the guy who uses 6 machines at once then says im using that when he appears to have abandoned one machine. I dont train legs cause they get too big too fast!

rocketscientist

Awards
Protein causes kidney failure... :nono:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
"When you stop working out your going to be really fat because all that muscle will turn into fat!"
Some infernal rumors just never die.

"Ya but if i used as much steroids as that guy i'd be that huge too"
Oh yeah? prove it. (of course they never will cuz "steroids are bad mmmmmmmmmkay.")

"Naw man i don't use creatine or protein i'm all natural, I like to know that what muscle i've got is all mine"
Lol. like the smooth muscle that must be constricting the blood flow to his brain.

"Your going to die young from that ****" (Past co-workers smoking cigaretts and eating doughnuts remarking about my drinking a protein shake)
Oh the irony.

:icon_lol:

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
My all time fav: the guy that loads up a leg press with 2000 lbs, then does a 1/4" ROM, screaming at the top of his lungs the whole time!

These are also the guys still wearing zebra print Zubaz, string tanks, and belts they never take off with the name "TAZ" written on it in big bold letters!

I could choke every one of them!

Also, the people doing 100 sets of abs everytime they come in the gym to "flatten" their stomachs. When will people realize that the fat over a muscle is not connected to the muscle under it.

musclefreaks

Banned
Awards
i got a good one for u,,the mother in law asked why i wanted to be fat?im 14%bf when she said this,and then my mum found out id started trainin again and said o you are puttin weight on,u should be care full cos if u get to big they wont do a hip replacement u know??? WTF i dont need one :icon_lol:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
What i LOVE is how someone ALWAYS has a brother or cousin or friend of a friend that has either had his chest explode from steroids or his hips snap from weightlifting. Also that when you get "musclebound" your not very flexible, look at Ronnie! The guy can do the splits, i can ALMOST do them as well.

Genocide

Genocide

Awards
Protein
Got advice on protein shakes from a newcomer,he said ......."my built is nothing compared to my knowledge on bodybuiding but a secret on how to take protein is to have a shake before bedtime and the protein will go lay still in your cells because you sleep,when you wake up have another one that will activate the previous nights one and that is how you get a double shot of protein"

Genocide

Genocide

Awards
" My friend is a bouncer he says that Metrx creatine is so strong he takes 1/4 of a serving and needs to dilute it with water.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
What i LOVE is how someone ALWAYS has a brother or cousin or friend of a friend that has either had his chest explode from steroids or his hips snap from weightlifting. Also that when you get "musclebound" your not very flexible, look at Ronnie! The guy can do the splits, i can ALMOST do them as well.

Yeah I still hear stuff like that too. All the anti steroid guys always allegedly have a friend who "messed himself up" with gear. And the guy will claim that knowing that person (wich to them constitutes real world experience) overides any clinical evidence that informed use of AAS could be reasonably safe for healthy adult males. Then I'll ask them "Wich drug did he take? How much did he take? How long? What did he do for PCT? How healthy did his blood work indicate he was before this? In what way did he mess himself up?" And invariably the answer to those questions is .."Duh, I dont know. But he messed himself, so that proves steroids are bad." :rolleyes:

And when I was discussing the prospect of increasing my flexability with my Yoga instructor, (who for the record I do like despite this, cuz she's cool, and real nice) but she wrote me back that weight training "shortens the muscles". I didnt write back to dispute that. (She's not really against weight training, she basically just suggested I stretch before and after weight training, wich is what worked best for me for flexability in the past anyway. as long as it was consistent.) But I remember thinking, "the muscle shortens during a concentric contraction, but it also lengthens in the cadence of the eccentric." Truth is that some of things people percieve being because of tight inflexable muscles is really either lack of joint mobility, wich is often genetic. (for example, my elbows only go to about 95% of the way most peoples do when the joint locks out. Its genetic, my bicep fascia hasnt even begun to feel a stretch at that point.) Or in some cases, your range of motion appears limited because you stretching the same distance, but you have more surface area to stretch across.(for instance, I used to be able to reach one arm over head and down my back to grab the fingers of the other hand coming from below. But now I cant, but not because the muscles are stretched, but because even at joint lockout, my back simply has to large a surface area to do this anymore.)
And also muscles CANT get as big unless the fascia's are limber enough to allow the myofibrils to hypertrophy that big. Ive defended that in the past by pointing out Ronnie, Melvin Anthony, Flex Wheeler, and Ernie Taylor to people, but if theyre that far behind the times to believe all those arhaic stereotypes about guy's w/ big muscles, then they arent likely to go watch a video of those guys doing their routines that prove that big muscle guys can develope flexability if they work at it.