some of the stupid things people say about working out

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when i started doing my legs in highschool i got huge black and blue stretch marks all over my glutes and legs they grew so fast. its really incredible how quickly your legs respond to weight training.

and yes, girl do appreciate a squat induced super gluteus maximus

i am working out at a new gym, much more basic, just iron everywhere no fancy machines or exercise balls. i have yet to hear anyone in that gym make a stupid gym remark.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
You guys ever get some scrawnny ass dude who thinks your creatine is some type of steroid? I'm like WTF, if I could drink steroids and it taste like fruit punch that would be the ****!

Then I'm like "well it's just creatine you should try it sometime", and then they're like "No dude, I'm all natural, and creatine is TOXIC."

THey then go and eat their postworkout meal which consists of mcdonalds and some twinkies.

i get that all the time...every1 at my school use to say i was on steroids b/c i was taking creatine and NO and i was big but not because i worked my ass off in the gym NOOO!! ha..

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i get that all the time...every1 at my school use to say i was on steroids b/c i was taking creatine and NO and i was big but not because i worked my ass off in the gym NOOO!! ha..

There's two kinds of people in this world: people who work hard for success, and people who work hard to find an excuse for their shortcomings.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
another one i keep hearing lately is "dude can you teach me how to work out"

and its usually a distant friend or more likely an aquaintance and i say sure and start laying down the diet and routine when i am instantly hit with-

"I DONT WANT TO GET BULKY I JUST WANT TO GET CUT AND STAY THE SAME SIZE*&&###!!!!!LOL"

i find nothing more annoying than this. im talking about guys that havent lifted a weight in their lives and expect to be ripped and shredded without a change in diet or gaining a pound of weight.

when i tell them they have to actually have muscle in order to cut it (i say it in a much nicer way) that is usually the end of them asking.

I JUST WANT TO GET CUT is the war cry of the gym pussy

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established

and its usually a distant friend or more likely an aquaintance and i say sure and start laying down the diet and routine when i am instantly hit with-

"I DONT WANT TO GET BULKY I JUST WANT TO GET CUT AND STAY THE SAME SIZE*&&###!!!!!LOL"

i find nothing more annoying than this. im talking about guys that havent lifted a weight in their lives and expect to be ripped and shredded without a change in diet or gaining a pound of weight.

when i tell them they have to actually have muscle in order to cut it (i say it in a much nicer way) that is usually the end of them asking.

That gets SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old!
The "just want to get toned" but not "too big" crowd.
It doesnt annoy me that they want the look that they want.
It DOES annoy me that they think that if they train hard and eat right they would just "accidentally" gain insane ammounts of mass. Yeah freakin right dude!
And the fact that they think you can "build cut" or "train to be cut", is just contemptable. Especially if they blow you off when you try to nicely tell them how it is.

You either have some muscle or you dont.
The "cut but not big" or "toned" look is a result of moderate increases in muscle mass (achieved through consistent n progressive hard training w/ a hi protien diet) coupled w/ low bodyfat levels wich we all know is a result of DIET AND CARDIO!!!!
LOL. When will these infernal myths ever DIE?
And then they they dont trust us cuz they think we only believe that because we are all about being "bulky" in their perception.
An OBESE person is "bulky", a bodybuilder physique is a work of art, w/ flowing lines and equally proportionate developement of the entire body. I guess when the actualy shape of the human body when it's not covered in fat is a foreign and never before seen site to someone, the anatomically precise muscular developement of bodybuilder just seems like a bunch of inane bulky lumps and vericose veins. But what can you do? right?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I've had a few friends with that same mentality, which I've noted as the mentality for failure.

One in particular was a novice who just wanted to get cut. I set him up with an HST-style routine, completely mapped out w/ printable spreadsheets to log out his progress. One thing he noticed immediately was that I didn't have ANY isolation moves in it, and was pissed by the fact that he didn't have biceps curls in his routine. I merely pointed out that he couldn't do two pullups (w/o weight), his biceps will grow more from that than doing 21's. All that work, and all his complaining went completely down the drain when he decided he would rather get drunk and chase sorority girls instead of lifting.

Firsttofight

Firsttofight

Awards
Priceless moment today in the gym...

...there was this guy doing leg presses. He was about 45 years old, maybe about 5'10" and 180 lbs. soaking wet and a physique not to be desired by a person with anorexia and he sported the almighty wife beater. This mother****er had the max weight which was 900 lbs. loaded on to the sled for his warm-up set. Unfortunately, I missed his warmed up set. His buddy, the 75 year old gym teacher, tells me that he is the strongest man he's ever seen.

I came back and told the man on the leg press, hey, you know that you can change the resistance of the machine so that you don't have to load the entire machine, because it was completely full. So he says, "Yeah." and I just walked away and shook my head in disbelief.

Finally, I get to witness his set and I watched the whole thing. His eccentric was about 3 inches down and then back up to Locked knees, while pressing on his knees with his hands hard!

And may he go with god, because his next set he loaded another 130 pounds(lying ontop of the sled, not secured in anyway). Yep, he banged out another set of 6 reps with mind-blowing form!

The third set comes around, loads another 100 pounds. Fails on the first try unrack the sled, I thought he blew out his knees, but apparently didn't because about 5 minutes later he banged out the third set with the same form and then proceeded to clap and be all pumped up and sh.it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh my gosh, I have not seen this thread in so long. This was a glorious thread!!!

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, so I'm a mod on another form, but one of our members (female) had a great run-in with a totally ignorant commenter while doing leg press at the gym.

Our girl's crankin' out leg press with ~190lbs loaded, and this lady comes by and essentially scolds her, saying this exercise is bad for your sexual health. She proceeds to mention that, according to something she had read, doing leg press reduces the size of female ovaries.

Last I checked, the female ovaries get smaller and smaller each month since adolescence through a process called menstruation, anyhow.

Thought this was a rather obscure topic. Discuss.

GreenTempo

Board Supporter
Awards
i work at a 24 hour fitness, there's this guy who comes in at 3AM every single night. Never n the 9 months i've been here have i seen him not on his cell phone. He runs ont he treadmills, does chest press machines(tucks it under his chin and tilts his head...) everything while talking on his cellphone. I dont know who the f he's talknig to that could possibly be that important(especially at 3AM)

Edit: wow, didn't read the most recent posts and was jsut replying to the original topic. now this looks really out of place and makes me look like a total dumb@ss

Last edited:
thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe he's got hoes or is a drug dealer (or perhaps does business overseas).

Don't feel dumb for replying to an old-assed thread. This thread is awesome, and needs to be stickied for easy access. It's fun to vent about the stupid and annoying things people do at the gym.

Kevf

Kevf

Awards
At my Gym at work yesterday:

Me: 'How is all the training going?'
Overweigt collegue: 'Great I never feel it at all the days after!'

:rofl:

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
i think they just say such crap because they are just jealous that they are small, pudgy, etc...
exactly, just say to them, well i realy wish my belly was hanging over my belt like yours its awesome how long did it take to do? supps etc?:djparty:

harlan100

harlan100

Awards
Because i lift weights and take whey protein, im automaticly on steriods too now..ignorant ****s...:wtf::nutkick::wtf::nutkick:

Vtaper

Awards
Its been long enough, I better make another offering.

I love it when I hear,"I wish I had your dedication" by some fat azz who is in the gym JUST AS OFTEN AS I AM!!

The other week, we were finishing chest on the fly machine(one of the only machines I use) and some guy in his 60's was staring at us the whole time, he comes over and says, "you wanna get real big? lower the weight and count to 20 on the way down. Try that, its really hard."

Now this one might not get said, but im sure has been thought cuz I can see it on there faces. "Every time I wanna do bi's, theres some idiot doing squats in the curl rack."

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
What an ass!!!:D Nice way to shut him up though:)

Here's a favoite classic dumbass line:

"I dont want to gain too much muscle because when I get older it will all turn into fat"

BV
Yeah a guy told me the same ****. He said he didn't want to have man boobs when he got older from doing heavy bench presses.

Or the guy who doesn't need to do legs b/c they get enough of a workout on the treadmill. Wtf?

Or the one about lifting weights will stunt you growth and/or make you shorter:rofl:

jpb8200

jpb8200

Awards
its prolly already been said but, i hate it when my girl stays on the treadmill and those types of machines and her reasoning for not using any weight lifting machines is b/c she doesn't want to get too big of muscles.

i keep telling her that it takes years to get big and muscular.

ecu19

ecu19

Awards
  • Established
its prolly already been said but, i hate it when my girl stays on the treadmill and those types of machines and her reasoning for not using any weight lifting machines is b/c she doesn't want to get too big of muscles.
Don't we all wish we had that problem that if we started lifting weights we'd have explosive muscle gains?? :D

I'll have to try to start contributing to this thread, I can't believe i read the whole thing!

Saw a guy walking around with his chest puffed out, trying to look as bada$$ as possible. He had to be 160 pounds dripping wet, with some impressive 10's for biceps. He had a mixer bottle with a fruit punch looking substance that looked similar to NANO vapor. He wrote MUSCLE TECH on a piece of tape wrapped around it. Made me chuckle.

Saw another guy doing pull ups, but in a sense of almost swaying his way up, like rocking back and forth going up and down. It looked like it did NOTHING, and a couple other people were staring at him in amazement, as if "why is he doing this."

And yes i've gotten the "are you drinking steroids?" Yeah they are making chocolate flavored whey test now! :D

Hope to have more to add come wednesday.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
He wrote MUSCLE TECH on a piece of tape wrapped around it. Made me chuckle.
haha wow, in complete seriousness, I would feel terrible for this kid if I saw that.. like more of a "wow, that's so sad" but in an authentic kind of way -- Just imagining how hard every single person in the gym has to be laughing at him on the inside makes me feel bad for him..

but yes -- still absolutely hilarious haha good catch man :D

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
saw some kid, close to 300 lbs, load up the squat bar with a whopping 95 pounds, and then proceeded to squat about 2/3 of the way down and then back up again.. I just looked, shook my head, and was sad.. I want to say something, but don't know that I should.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
For some reason she asked to see my legs so I raised my shorts and showed her my thighs. She said OMG that is retard muscle and then walked away.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

RETARD MUSCLE?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Is retard muscle like retard strength? :toofunny:

mindnbody

mindnbody

Awards
I don't know if this has been said yet anyhow. I don't know how many times while I've been doing deadlifts and someone has come up to me and asking if I need help putting the weight up on the bench..........It never fails, happens atleast once a month. A little fustrating to tell you the truth.

teribleturtle

Awards
Theres these guys at my gym they crack me up! all they do is bench presses and bicep curls they say working out legs is Gay because you dont show them off, and say I look Gay doing squats and deadlifts. One of them told me "what are you doing that for, I only work out for knock out power" I guess I was supposed to be intimidated

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Today I heard: "Anything more than 10 reps is a waste" from some dude who couldn't even bench the weight he was doing "right" for 10...

MB

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
though i would resurrect this baby. ben white was working out at my gym for a few months and while he was there there was an older couple that would look at him with disgust and comment when he lifted. keep in mind that the older gentlemen was doing "crunches" on a flat bench with one leg crossed over the other. oh and he had some sweet knit fingerless gloves on.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow this thread is ageless. I miss it. I was not in the gym but at gnc and this dumb ass college kid was like Everything in this store is steroids, I aint touching nothing. I just wanted punch him in his mouth for being so stupid!!!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
There's this old man at my gym who seems to train hard, but not smart. Example, he'll do leg raises and pop em' up real hard and quick and grunt, but then he'll just drop em' down with zero tension. He does all his stuff that way. I wanna tell him about eccentric motion, but I don't.

84bandit

watching a kid squat 70 lbs, then i sneak in, do 4 sets of deadlifts (225, 225, 315, 315), before he get back from seeing if this would make him dunk a basketball.

same kid come in, put his bag down and then turn around and leave? whatever.

a couple of kids from a rival of my high school were in the gym the other day. watched on say "yeah i got 245 on bench" then watched him struggle to rep 135 2 times.

then my buddy (airforce paramed) ask him if he was tryin to get big. (btw 6 foot 275 lbs 40% bf) and he was yeah im a almost too big, im in here so much. then he turns to me, and asks what about u? i said nope, i heard weightliftin makes u smaller, thats why im here. he immediatly dropped his weight and left.

watching my buddy try to do a backflip off a dip platform. lol

getting yelled at for "throwing" 100 lb dbs after decline bench. and then getting yelled at for deadlifting, the next day.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
No one at my gym talks to me. I think I might be too intimidating? lol. All the half assed, middle age lifters who have decent size in some parts will all stick together and chat. Most of them have mediocre biceps and chest, that's about it. I think guys who have decent size with proportional development get left alone, at least around here. I honestly don't think I've ever been spoken to aside from "go ahead" or "Are you finished?"

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
No one at my gym talks to me. I think I might be too intimidating? lol. All the half assed, middle age lifters who have decent size in some parts will all stick together and chat. Most of them have mediocre biceps and chest, that's about it. I think guys who have decent size with proportional development get left alone, at least around here. I honestly don't think I've ever been spoken to aside from "go ahead" or "Are you finished?"
It's always the big guys who never speak or get spoken too. They just seem to get on with it.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
For a long time, when I came in the gym, I never talked to anybody and nobody really talked to me.

After all when I and I'm sure most of us come into the gym, we aren't there to talk and have a reunion in the middle of the ****ing weight room.

I come in, lift and leave.

But some of the stuff I see is just ridiculous.

There is a guy at the gym where I an currently employed and workout at, Overweight, probably in his mid 50's, smells like **** that comes in with a wifebeater, pink bandana and short shorts and occupies nearly every machine or peice of equiptment in the weight room. Bouncing from one to the next with no regaurd of whos way he gets in.

I was doing Rear Delt Crossovers I grabbed the cable and I was just about to start my second set and the guy jumps in between and starts doing pullups and they weren't even proper pullups and he only did 4 of them before he jump down and went over to the power rack to do his curls. ****ing douche.

Then there is a guy that comes in and does squats with 315 but only does down about 1/4 of the way and in doing so screams at the top of his lungs. When I ask him why he doesn't go all the way down he says it's bad for your knees.

Then you have the people who sweat like pigs and smell like **** who don't bother to wipe down the equipment. Thats ****ing disgusting.

Then you have people that come in cry for assistance in removing a 45lbs plate from the leg press machine.

Then there are the yuppies who come in either really early in the day or really late at night who wear their bluetooth headsets while they workout. Like people really want to hear your ****ing conversations.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Lol ahh too many stupid people out there who say stupid things. But you all basically covered everything i could think of, and things i haven't heard from ppl yet.

but some of what i keep hearing is:
- if you eat 6 meals a day, you'll just become a fat and get heart disease(said by dumb *******s at work who are Fat and have no god damn discipline. I'm in IT btw)

- if you workout, fat can turn into muscle and if you don't, muscle turns into fat. This is because fat is just untoned muscle (said by many clueless ppl who see no results in the gym).

- Diets don't work (said by a fat aunty of mine and a stupid 5'0 guy at my office)

- Tuna, eggwhites and protein shakes don't work if you're trying to build muscle (said by a skinny guy at work, who has no clue on bodybuilding)...

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
ohh haha,... kinda off topic, but the bowflex commercial just came on,... when it said "you cant diet your body to look like this," i almost fell outta my chair

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i read this as i stare at the add at the bottom of the page..."I lost 43lb's in 2 weeks"...WTF! AM needs to screen who they let post adds.

Anywho I still can't get over how may people have back problems at the gym as their excuse for not doing deads and squats.

MassBuilda123

Awards
"You keep using them roids and your nuts are going to blow up.. not you! Pace yourself man!"

My ****ing boss after I told em I inject.. still think he's a numb nuts.. and he hates the fact that I'm bigger than he is.. hard work pays off.. and my nuts sag lower than his.. no shrinkage here! I use with caution =)

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i read this as i stare at the add at the bottom of the page..."I lost 43lb's in 2 weeks"...WTF! AM needs to screen who they let post adds.

Anywho I still can't get over how may people have back problems at the gym as their excuse for not doing deads and squats.

lol yup. pure blame game.

that being said, there are some ppl with severely damaged backs who can't do it. But the majority of ppl who use their "bad back" as an excuse are just whiners.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Just got reamed out by my parents and all the vitamins i take. My shoulder hurts really bad and i dont feel that great and they tell me its because all the stuff im taking.

vit C
Vit E
Magnezium
Calcium
Zinc

appearently its not going to be their fault when i die in my 20's......then they tell me that vitamins are extremely bad for you and the only people that say different are trying to sell them to you...oh and their banned in canada? i didnt know that.
same here. it's why i never listen to anything my mom says about food or bodybuilding. She seriously has no clue on bodybuilding diets or nutrition info.

according to my mom:
1 gallon of water can make me very sick,
1g of protein per bodymass pound can cause protein poisoning,
protein = energy,
more than 100mg of vitamin C can be toxic.
Zinc is good but Zinc tablets are bad
30g of Whey protein Isolate = Some illegal synthetic growth hormone that can cause disorders.

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
The other day I bumped into someone I knew from H.S in the parking Lot, I was leaving the gym covered in sweat and this is his exact comment:

" Hey man, why do you work out....your just going to eat after?

He had a serious look on his face, I just laughed and said bye.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Apparently, to my mother, anything that says "Anabolic" on the packaging of a container is a steroid.

MTNMEDIC

"All that muscle keeps you from being flexable and agile",.when even my sensi said that I about cringed ! hell, proven fact,..I have way more flexability than some middleschool girls and im 42, plus I took first place in forms at our fall tournement last month.

dpfisher

Apparently, to my mother, anything that says "Anabolic" on the packaging of a container is a steroid.
I had a girl I was seeing confront me about my "problem"... I'm not even that big!

There was more but this is the end of the conversation:
"I think that means it's steroids"
"No, it doesn't"
"I'm pretty sure it does"
"Do I look like I'm on steroids?"
"I don't know, you're stronger than all my friends... are you sure?"
"I give up, I have to go to work"

A few months later she dumped me for making her feel stupid all the time, but she really was so it's not a loss.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I had a girl I was seeing confront me about my "problem"... I'm not even that big!

There was more but this is the end of the conversation:
"I think that means it's steroids"
"No, it doesn't"
"I'm pretty sure it does"
"Do I look like I'm on steroids?"
"I don't know, you're stronger than all my friends... are you sure?"
"I give up, I have to go to work"

A few months later she dumped me for making her feel stupid all the time, but she really was so it's not a loss.
They just don't understand!