some of the stupid things people say about working out

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
Just got reamed out by my parents and all the vitamins i take. My shoulder hurts really bad and i dont feel that great and they tell me its because all the stuff im taking.

vit C
Vit E
Magnezium
Calcium
Zinc

appearently its not going to be their fault when i die in my 20's......then they tell me that vitamins are extremely bad for you and the only people that say different are trying to sell them to you...oh and their banned in canada? i didnt know that.

AndroAnarchy

Banned
Awards
the tuna thing is the stupidest thing i ever heard, skipping meals. ha

first of all you should be taking a multivitamin and not seperate vitamins. vitamins aren't going to hurt you. your parents are morons

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
Im on Bobos plan and I need seperate vitamins...a multi isnt enough.

My parents only mean the best,lol.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i was in between a set of bent over bb rows with 7.5 each side of bb and some guy comes over and starts curling it

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i was in between a set of bent over bb rows with 7.5 each side of bb and some guy comes over and starts curling it
7.5? As in 7.5 pounds?

Well, I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The gym idiot list is endless indeed. We had this one guy who claimed he gained 50lbs of muscle in 4 weeks using cell tech. The secret to it, according to him, was it had to be the grape, and it had to be from gnc.:blink:
Wow that's even more bogus than the sticker that the CELL-TECH tubs are coming with now:

"Gain 7 lbs. in 7 days"

:toofunny:

Oh and I love the ones that interrupt my squat workout to tell me, women shouldn't be doing that. It will make your butt big.:rofl:
Either the guy is gay or he likes anorexic women.

What's wrong with a woman and a butt? I thought they were supposed to have butts bigger than men....guess not according to that guy lol.:icon_lol:

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
I'm under the impression my family think I'm taking some sort of steroid, everytime my sups, protein powder or even diet come into conversation someone will tell me "you'll regret it when you're older" "it's not natural" etc to which I ask "what is natural? Those cigarettes you puff away at everyday? The low quality cardboard you eat?", they quickly shut up after that.

In the gym I've heard stuff like "eat less, train more" and "I can't do [enter name of exercise], it's too hard".

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"I can't do [enter name of exercise], it's too hard".
That's one of my wife's favorite phrases.

She won't do:

1) Squats
2) BB Bench press (only DB)
3) BB Row (she keeps standing up and doing a rack dead instead of a row)

So the way we schedule things is, when we workout together she does 1 less exercise than I do, and I start the workout with one of those (depending on the day).

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Oh and I love the ones that interrupt my squat workout to tell me, women shouldn't be doing that. It will make your butt big. :rofl:
He was just jealous because you squat more than he does. :D :squat:

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm poor, I buy the 50 cents per can chunk light.
i frickin love tuna i eat 3 or 4 cans a day.

today an individual i work with informed me that he did not need to work out because he smoked cigarettes, and they keep him thin. its comments like that that make my day.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought eating alot of tuna was bad..something about the mercury levels in it?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought eating alot of tuna was bad..something about the mercury levels in it?

as have i.

then again i have also read that there is another substance in the tuna that makes the mercury uptake a non-issue. also unless you are a small child it takes a long time for the mercury levels to catch up with you. it is not a true concern unless youre pregnant.

Fish is also the best thing you can eat for your brain. children that have higher amounts of fish in their diet had significantly higher IQ's at a younger age then their normal mcdonalds eating fatass counterparts (i need to stockpile these studies). in other words, eat up.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Can't be as bad as the ancient chinese, who drank quicksilver (naturally occuring mercury) in hopes to gain magical powers. Who knows, maybe if you eat enough tuna, you'll be able to move sh*t with your mind.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
The FDA report was posted here a while ago. The mercury in canned chunk light tuna was practically nonexistant. Albacore was worse, but not too bad. The only people that have to worry are the ones eating big fillets of shark and swordfish every day.

AndroAnarchy

Banned
Awards
I was talking to a friend yesterday, he doesn't know anything about bodybuilding, and I mentioned designer steroids and he said, "oh, I think i've done those before, something called Advair."

For those of you, that dont know, Advair is an inhalant steroid for asthma.

fatbasturd

Awards
i was in the gym the other day and this guy had a diary with him???

whats that all about??:icon_lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was talking to a friend yesterday, he doesn't know anything about bodybuilding, and I mentioned designer steroids and he said, "oh, I think i've done those before, something called Advair."

For those of you, that dont know, Advair is an inhalant steroid for asthma.
Wow...thats really all I can say to that. If that is the cse, then my mom has been on the juice for about 3 years now.:icon_lol:

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
i was in the gym the other day and this guy had a diary with him???

whats that all about??:icon_lol:
What do you mean by diary?

I bring a small notebook with me so I can keep track of progress. Many guys do the same.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean by diary?

I bring a small notebook with me so I can keep track of progress. Many guys do the same.
I do the same, usually I don't forget what weights I did when but it's nice to have it to refer to.

fatbasturd

Awards
I do the same, usually I don't forget what weights I did when but it's nice to have it to refer to.
i know what its for!! haha
i was listening to raw dog comedy on sirius and a comedian said that but in a fake arnold voice

it was a pretty funny bit

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
lmfao, well spotted
It wasn't meant as a dirty joke, and my wife would not be happy at such an implication.

There are simply some exercises she refuses to do, such as BB row, because in her words, "they are too hard".

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I love the classic "how do I turn my muscle into fat" you can't you fat asses, you have to burn the fat LOL. I'm still amused at the nu,ber of people who think creatine is a steroid and the people who think 1 gram of protein is bad for you

yes, that is my favorite.

Isnt creatine a steroid? I am short tempered so i just say, "Get yourself informed and educated, then get back with me." Smile and wait for the rebutle, if there is one.

Or i usually say, "Ignorance must be bliss."

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love when people ask me if whey protein really works. It provides protein calories, that's all it's meant to do, so of course it works.
Then I have to explain to them that gaining mass is a little more complicated than just chugging a clumpy milkshake that claims to taste like chocolate.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
When I was 14, I used to ride my bike to this hardcore gym the next town over ($99/year membership and lots of ex-cons...lol).

There was this one knucklehead who would always spew all kinds of advice. He would yell at us younger guys for benching saying "Chest and Bis for show....Back and Tris to grow."

I once told him that I did back and tris the other day, so shut the hell up. He responded by saying there is no need to work Chest if you do back. I almost fell over laughing.

Needless to say, he was a big guy, but most of it was fat and body hair.

Gumbo

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I was 14, I used to ride my bike to this hardcore gym the next town over ($99/year membership and lots of ex-cons...lol).

There was this one knucklehead who would always spew all kinds of advice. He would yell at us younger guys for benching saying "Chest and Bis for show....Back and Tris to grow."

I once told him that I did back and tris the other day, so shut the hell up. He responded by saying there is no need to work Chest if you do back. I almost fell over laughing.

Needless to say, he was a big guy, but most of it was fat and body hair.

Gumbo
Query: why do you work chest with bicep instead of tricpe and back with tricep rather than bicep?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Query: why do you work chest with bicep instead of tricpe and back with tricep rather than bicep?
Basically, you get to work your arms twice a week. Indirectly on one day, directly on the other.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
It wasn't meant as a dirty joke, and my wife would not be happy at such an implication.

There are simply some exercises she refuses to do, such as BB row, because in her words, "they are too hard".
Oh I know that, it's just the way the two quotes came together I thought was funny, no offence to you wife.

Another one is a friend or family member might ask me what it is I'm drinking or swallowing post workout, not that what I'll tell them will mean anything to them but they just want to know if it's a steroid or not. I usually just tell them it's name and let them decide if it's a 'roid or not, if they think it is then that's just a testiment to how good I'm looking :D

AndroAnarchy

Banned
Awards
My friend who is very well educated in bodybuilding came across an article about how whey protein creates a loss in leucine and creates a negative balance so you can't grow. So he's telling me not to take whey protein because it's making it so I can't grow. He's very well informed and has been lifting longer than me and knows more than me usually but I think it's the dumbest thing he has ever said to me.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
My friend who is very well educated in bodybuilding came across an article about how whey protein creates a loss in leucine and creates a negative balance so you can't grow. So he's telling me not to take whey protein because it's making it so I can't grow. He's very well informed and has been lifting longer than me and knows more than me usually but I think it's the dumbest thing he has ever said to me.
Ask him where he got the article and then post it. I'm sure people here can tell you if/why it's BS. Sounds pretty fishy to me though since, for one, most whey contains at least 5-6g of leucine per serving.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

He's actually on to something. Whey protein doesn't create a loss in leucine, it just doesn't supply enough in relation to the other aminos. Some companies actually fortify their whey proteins with extra leucine to help make up for this imbalance. Some studies have shown that whey mixed with soy produce better effects than plain whey (soy has a lot of leucine in it).

B4n3 0n3

Ok I have this one buddy of mine who comes over and sees me lifting so I ask if he wants to do some lifting he says "I can't lift today because I ate breakfast" then another day he goes "I can't lift today I smoked a ciggarette" I say never mind that just lift then he says the best one of all "I need a couple of gatorades to energize myself before I lift".

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok I have this one buddy of mine who comes over and sees me lifting so I ask if he wants to do some lifting he says "I can't lift today because I ate breakfast" then another day he goes "I can't lift today I smoked a ciggarette" I say never mind that just lift then he says the best one of all "I need a couple of gatorades to energize myself before I lift".
A couple sips of gatorade pre-workout makes me feel sick when I lift (too many simple sugars). Has he pulled out that card yet as well?

B4n3 0n3

A couple sips of gatorade pre-workout makes me feel sick when I lift (too many simple sugars). Has he pulled out that card yet as well?
Oh no, Gatorate is his magic fuel that he needs to do anything remotly physical. My lifting partner is my little brother and these excuses are now a running gag that we have going whenever I say time to lift he will use one of these super stupid excuses, it's hilariouse.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Talking to a kid in one of my classes yesterday, I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth:

"I read that if you eat two slices of wheat bread with natural peanut butter after you lift, that's all the carbs you need for the day. You see, they don't add sugar to the natural peanut butter......so it's just pure protein"

I didn't rebuttle, I figured it would take a lot more than two natty PB sandwiches worth of effort to try and explain it to him.

Feel free to vent on this.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i overheard something like this outside of a lifestyles yesterday:

man:: "yea they make this new stuff that gives you endurance during your workout"

girl: "oh really what is it?"

man:" its this new stuff called gakic

-id say thats the worst thing ive heard lately its not bad.

oh and the guys who tell me never to go below 90, does anyone here hate that?????? i do! they come up in the middle of my set and tell me not to go below 90.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh and the guys who tell me never to go below 90, does anyone here hate that?????? i do! they come up in the middle of my set and tell me not to go below 90.
You talking about squats?

My training partner and I don't count reps in which we don't meet or break parallel.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea sorry talking about squats. the guy said my knees buckle if i go below 90, and i noticed they kinda were so i beleived him that i should only go 90.

but i was recommended the good girl bad girl machines to fix it

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
then they tell me that vitamins are extremely bad for you and the only people that say different are trying to sell them to you...oh and their banned in canada? i didnt know that.
Yes because they have zero shelf life in the cold and damp air in our igloos...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Talking to a kid in one of my classes yesterday, I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth:

"I read that if you eat two slices of wheat bread with natural peanut butter after you lift, that's all the carbs you need for the day. You see, they don't add sugar to the natural peanut butter......so it's just pure protein"

I didn't rebuttle, I figured it would take a lot more than two natty PB sandwiches worth of effort to try and explain it to him.

Feel free to vent on this.
I would just tell him to let me know how that works out for him :D

rafter

Awards
I heard this from one of the trainers the other day talking to a client...

Im XYZ certified. ABC gym only hires XYZ certified and XYZ certifieds are the best in the world.

I looked at him and about died laughing. He also has every single one of his clients doing the same workout regardless of their goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea sorry talking about squats. the guy said my knees buckle if i go below 90, and i noticed they kinda were so i beleived him that i should only go 90.

What I do to avoid it is spread my stance. It not only prevents buckling, but helps me go even lower.

I would just tell him to let me know how that works out for him
Eh, he's one of those typical fraternity douchebags who drinks beers every thursday night, and thinks his **** doesn't stink because he benches 135 5 days a week. I'm just sitting back and waiting for karma to take it's toll on him.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I hate this one:
Kinda older guys, bigger, but like 20% bf usually, always wear cutoff t shirts and walk around the gym like they're insane, have horrible lift form, and always, ALWAYS, insist that they are former powerlifters.

There is one guy that is on so much sauce that he looks all watery like the michelin man but he wears super tight shirts and is constantly flexing. He wears gucci sunglasses indoors while he lifts. On military presses, he arches so much that it's almost a flat bench and only comes down to his chin, he literally touches it and goes, the BB is always uneven and barely moving, but he thinks he's really awesome for doing it so after he yells 'WOOOOO really loud'. He uses weights that are way too high for him, like 275 for 3 sorry reps on the military, or like for bench he tries to rep 315, but basically bounces every rep off his chest. I wish i could punch him I dislike him so much.

kiss55

Awards
or like for bench he tries to rep 315, but basically bounces every rep off his chest. I wish i could punch him I dislike him so much.

Whats a chest workout without a bruised rib? lol

hardestgainer

hardestgainer

Awards
  • Established
The worst thing that ever happened to me is when i was doing 21's, bicep curls with like a 70 pound barbell, strict 21's, and some fool comes over to me and sais, u gotta do the whole repetition if you want results, i told him, i am doing 21's, he's like, don't do to many reps, it;s better to do low reps. Lol, i hate people that talk to you about ur workout, the only time when i say something to people is when amateurs are doing deadlifts with a curled back, looking like there gonna kill themselves.

Khyron

Awards
The worst thing that ever happened to me is when i was doing 21's, bicep curls with like a 70 pound barbell, strict 21's, and some fool comes over to me and sais, u gotta do the whole repetition if you want results, i told him, i am doing 21's, he's like, don't do to many reps, it;s better to do low reps. Lol, i hate people that talk to you about ur workout, the only time when i say something to people is when amateurs are doing deadlifts with a curled back, looking like there gonna kill themselves.
How are the 21's sets working for you?

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established

Good girl, bad girl machines? ROFLMFAO!!!
I've never heard anyone reffer to the adductor/abductor machines as such. I get it, I get it. On one machine the girls are closing their legs and on the other one the are opening them. I never thought of it that way but thats freaking hilarious bro.

Yeah about the squating I figure if you want quad and ham developement you go to parralell or not much lower. If your focusing on maximum glutes then you go even lower.
Personally I get knee pain when I go much below parralell but then again Im also 6ft 5. I do 385 to parrallel for 6 smooth reps currently and am hoping to make it to 4plates for smooth parrallel reps within the month. Id like to go lower because I've found that girls seem to appreciate the glute developement, but whenever I do that my knee's start to hurt all the time. Sucks, but I just have to supplement my squats with other exercises to pump my glutes up fully.