some of the stupid things people say about working out

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Protein
Got advice on protein shakes from a newcomer,he said ......."my built is nothing compared to my knowledge on bodybuiding but a secret on how to take protein is to have a shake before bedtime and the protein will go lay still in your cells because you sleep,when you wake up have another one that will activate the previous nights one and that is how you get a double shot of protein"

If his build is nothing compared to his knowledge, Id hate to see his build. The poor beggar must be 90lbs soaking wet.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I saw a guy kneeling down, doing wrist curls...with a belt on :toofunny:

Salyers1121

Awards
this old man that works out at my gym.....he is in pretty good shape for his age. But the thing is, he does every single workout wrong. No matter what it is. And i mean every type of workout. I get a really good laugh out of him especially when he is doing bi's. He would load up an EZ bar with 2 plates plus some on each side on a preacher bench. Grab the bar, pull it to his chest, and proceed to do a rocking motion while his arms stay locked in that position. 2 inch squats, leg presses, etc. And every exercise involves some for of a rocking motion. Well, one day me and a friend decided to tell him that he would get better results by using proper form. We got our asses chewed out. I have all the respect in the world for people that make an effort. I dont make fun of fat people that at least try, and im respectful to anyone thats there. But it annoys me to no end when people cant take constructive criticism, and at least swallow your pride and listen. you might learn something. Oh yea......people that dont wear deodorant.....insist on doing lat pulls.....which causes everyone to have tears in their eyes and dry heave. And that has really happened to me.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea......people that dont wear deodorant.....insist on doing lat pulls.....which causes everyone to have tears in their eyes and dry heave. And that has really happened to me.
I saw a guy taking a leak in the shower once. That's just wrong, not the least because the bathrooms were ten feet away in that gym.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Ok...I have seen it all. I was owned nutrition stores for a long time...my favorite is the chick that doesn't want to get all big and "muscley" from eating protein. UGH..

As far as the gym...

I was in there a few days ago, Prime time, at a big name gym. I was resting between sets and a girl, was training with her dad. He was 50 or so. Well he all of a sudden took off his shirt and did his last set of DB curls with his shirt off. This poor girl was so embarassed, she turned bright red and ran away. Dude finished his set and walked across the entire gym to the locker room.

Everyone busted out laughing, I tried to snap a pic with my phone but didn't get to it ontime.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Ok...I have seen it all. I was owned nutrition stores for a long time...my favorite is the chick that doesn't want to get all big and "muscley" from eating protein. UGH..

As far as the gym...

I was in there a few days ago, Prime time, at a big name gym. I was resting between sets and a girl, was training with her dad. He was 50 or so. Well he all of a sudden took off his shirt and did his last set of DB curls with his shirt off. This poor girl was so embarassed, she turned bright red and ran away. Dude finished his set and walked across the entire gym to the locker room.

Everyone busted out laughing, I tried to snap a pic with my phone but didn't get to it ontime.

Im laughing so hard at this right now that I'm in tears. OMG. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Karma points for you!

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Once I saw this really fat chick walk into the gym licking an ice cream cone. She was there to check in for her personal training session.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
HAHA...

I saw a trainer hand someone (a girl) a Mt Dew in between sets...

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Ok this isn't really so much what someone said, but more what they did

Some dude, working out in jeans and workboots with his sunglasses on.....THen proceeds to do a few sets, sit and hog the bench, then start talking on his cell phone...SUN GLASSES STILL ON..like wtf dude go home

Salyers1121

Awards
hell yea, i hate "weekend warriors" that talk on their cell rather than lift. Also, doesnt it bother you guys the way people sometimes dress in the gym, or ALWAYS dress for that matter? I know we arent there to win a fashion show, but wearing leotards when you are 70..........:run:
and why do the old fat ones always insist on getting in the hot tub naked.....when there is a sign right above it saying not to do so. i dont want to be relaxing in there and all of a sudden pube's start floating by my face. just not cool.

refrieddreams

refrieddreams

Awards
  • Established
Bro, I never even go into the locker room let alone the hot tub. If I really need to pee...I will go in, look at the floor walk straight to the urinal do my biz and leave.

Last time I accidently looked up there was a fat hairy old guy brushing his teeth naked!

EWWW

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
hell yea, i hate "weekend warriors" that talk on their cell rather than lift. Also, doesnt it bother you guys the way people sometimes dress in the gym, or ALWAYS dress for that matter? I know we arent there to win a fashion show, but wearing leotards when you are 70..........:run:
and why do the old fat ones always insist on getting in the hot tub naked.....when there is a sign right above it saying not to do so. i dont want to be relaxing in there and all of a sudden pube's start floating by my face. just not cool.
The Hot Tub - Communal bath experience, or just soaking in a warm pool of tepid human filth? You make the call!

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
dude u gotta respect the old dudes regardles..thats what i say..my grandfater is bed ridden and dying...id rather have him be that ass in tights....lol...not to get on a sad note

BUT ..if you have gorilla wear on..and a muscle beach shirt..thats cause for owning..

dude..bottom line..I F"n HATE CELL NINGAs..i wanna hit them with AT LEAST a 25 pound right cross...and im pretty sure they know i would do it at my gym..im the only dude that does decline abs with a 80+ dumbell...people are liek :blink: but he only did 10..yeha..feel that stupid..anyway...

im ranting again...my grandfather was my last phone convo..anyway..stupid peeps

propls to the 70 year olds at the gym ..NO MATTER what they wear

h19

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
HAHA...

I saw a trainer hand someone (a girl) a Mt Dew in between sets...
Must've misread that article in FLEX because it said Jay Cutler drinks a coke after every workout, not during.:icon_lol:

BIG_DAWG

BIG_DAWG

Awards
hahahaha!!!! ive worked in gyms for about the last 2 and a half years and i hear most of these come up each week! makes me smile on a rainy day.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Doing bicep curls and the question is "so what does that work?" :blink:

Doing squats : "You should try that stabalizer thingy, it makes it much easier on your neck" :clap2:

"Why do you workout so hard anyway? You're already big." :frustrate

"If I do 5 minutes of cardio 4 times a day, is that like doing 20?" :think:

From a buddy. he runs 40 plus miles a week. One lady asked him, knowing he is a runner, "how do you stay so lean?" He looked at her with absolutely no expression and told her he eats only apples on Monday, Carrots on Tuesday, etc... she reported to him a week later that she found the diet hard to stick to. :food:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha. Sometimes when people come to realize how much I eat in the course of a day they ask me how I stay lean eating all those meals, even though they know I bodybuild.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
From a buddy. he runs 40 plus miles a week. One lady asked him, knowing he is a runner, "how do you stay so lean?" He looked at her with absolutely no expression and told her he eats only apples on Monday, Carrots on Tuesday, etc... she reported to him a week later that she found the diet hard to stick to. :food:
This is a classic :lol:

NickyNoNames

NickyNoNames

Awards
"how can i loss like 30 pounds in 2 weeks"

"how can i get big"

"Dude just tell me i know your on something"

i remember one time i blew up pretty fast just from normal supps and hard training (i have pretty good genetics i like to think) and one day the owner comes up to me and tells me that everyone around the gym has been talking about me saying im on steriods. Then he of course asked me if im on. Biggest compliment i ever got :)

brandozzz

Awards
the hell is pb gonna seep out your stomach onto your ribs???
hahahah thats a figure of speach
my grandad used to use it bout oatmeal
it means that it will keep you full (in the stomach) :icon_lol:

ClintCanada

1)people doing cardio for over 2 hours at the same pace as old people f*(k while reading or talking on cell phone

2)the guy that wears the weight belt every workout, through the entire workout (regardless of routine)

3)I over heard one woman ask her friend while doing pull-ups what it works, the other replies "shoulders"

we have one guy a few of us call the "urban miner". He wears a waffle-undershirt for a top (long-sleeved), brown leather garden gloves, tight pants and steel toed work-boots.

We have all the types mentioned before where I work out too -- from the sounds of things, the mother ship dropped them off all over . . .

ClintCanada

I had a co-worker tell me that he heard 'of some guy' -- you know this is bull$hit already -- who's heart was 'literally crushed' from bench pressing too heavy of a load. I said like what? he dropped the weight on his chest? "no" he says "just from pushing as hard as he possibly could" . . . WTF ???
Then of course looks at me cuz I'm the 'workout guy' to respond . . . it took me a second and I almost cracked a smile but I reply with a straight face "yeah . . . I hear that all the time -- it can definitely happen if you're not careful"

just like Arnie said, "when you grow up, you'll drink beer"

I mean -- if they ask a question like that . . . you gotta play with them . . . the governor of California did :icon_lol:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
The other day a guy at my gym was on the leg press, and he asked me weather the machine worked biceps and abs? or just abs and calves?
Now Im the sort of person that thinks that if everyone was just nice to everyone the world would be a better place. So, I didnt laugh at him (at least not out loud) even though it was a pretty funny question. I just told him what leg presses DO work, and gave him some idea's on how to use it for that purpose. It's hard for me to redicule someone who genuinely hasnt a clue and knows it, so they ask questions. It's the guy's that know "just enough to be dangerous", but think they know it all and act like their all bad*ss that you kind of have to roll your eyes about. As silly as some questions are, I think answering in as helpful as possible (yet concise enough not to take up your own workout time) is the right thing to do if the person is genuinely seeking help and is polite.

Of course if their asking to much then you got to explain that thats a more complicated topic than U can cover in a 5 minute conversation, and there are guys who get paid good money to take the time to explain those things to their clients.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That is a good one. I have the same attitude toward the consciously ignorant, as opposed to the pompously ignorant.

BTW, definitely don't go overboard in your explanations b/c 90% of what you're saying is probably new to them, and they will not follow you.

I'm gonna rate this thread to keep it bumped.

darkpoet3113

Awards
mine is? when people ask me. "if you a bodybuilder? why do you have that little gut!"... like all bodybuilder are naturally ripped... pisses me off. it's call a hyper caloric diet... wanker..bloody hell
cheers,
darkpoet3113

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
mine is? when people ask me. "if you a bodybuilder? why do you have that little gut!"... like all bodybuilder are naturally ripped... pisses me off. it's call a hyper caloric diet... wanker..bloody hell
cheers,
darkpoet3113
Yeah, I noticed that too. Alot of people dont have an eye for muscle, and theyll say that a guy thats 150 at 5% BF is muscular while an "off season" BB'er at the same height is 220 at 15% they percieve as not being that buffed. (they just dont understand the intricacies (spell check) of body compostition, and their baring on the visual package.) Wich is why they wont believe their eyes when they see what you look like 4 months later when you diet down. They'll think you added all kinds of muscle when in reality you had more muscle when you were smoothe!
But oh well, what're ya gunna do? Bodybuilding is just foriegn to most people.

darkpoet3113

Awards
Yeah, I noticed that too. Alot of people dont have an eye for muscle, and theyll say that a guy thats 150 at 5% BF is muscular while an "off season" BB'er at the same height is 220 at 15% they percieve as not being that buffed. (they just dont understand the intricacies (spell check) of body compostition, and their baring on the visual package.) Wich is why they wont believe their eyes when they see what you look like 4 months later when you diet down. They'll think you added all kinds of muscle when in reality you had more muscle when you were smoothe!
But oh well, what're ya gunna do? Bodybuilding is just foriegn to most people.
i hear your there... when i tell people i'm 5'5"195 and 18%BF
most think i'm fat... drive me nuts...

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
i hear your there... when i tell people i'm 5'5"195 and 18%BF
most think i'm fat... drive me nuts...
And my GF (if she still is my GF, were kinda in limbo right now.)
Still thinks I havent gained any muscle in the 4 years we've been together. Even though I've gained around 50lbs of muscle in that time. Im around 6ft 4or 6ft 5, at 245 (was 258 at end of last cycle). The only change she seemed to notice was that my ass got meatier. She's even gone as far as to say that everyone who notices my changes and compliments me are just trying to be nice cuz they know Im trying, but that I really havent made any changes. (Go figure.)

ClintCanada

Still thinks I havent gained any muscle in the 4 years we've been together. Even though I've gained around 50lbs of muscle in that time. Im around 6ft 4or 6ft 5, at 245 (was 258 at end of last cycle). The only change she seemed to notice was that my ass got meatier. She's even gone as far as to say that everyone who notices my changes and compliments me are just trying to be nice cuz they know Im trying, but that I really havent made any changes. (Go figure.)

Thats harsh -- her saying that they're just being nice -- that would piss me off -- I had an ex that said stuff like that -- she was awesome in the sack and hot, but those are comments that someone wouldn't say if they're in you're corner. I always felt like giving her a chicken wing in the side of the head. How you get even is when you're drillin' her, you give a few hate thrusts, you know, slam her real good and hard :woohoo:

darkpoet3113

Awards
i just shrug it off now, stupid is as stupid does.. like you say before unicron, people are just ingorant when it come to bodybuilding.. i know i'm doing great thats all that matter for me,... you know that too!
cheers,
darkpoet3113

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I bet your GF has very poor spatial reasoning skills :D

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think pb alone will do the trick- dumb dumbs in the gym. I had one guy tell me that I was doing my dumbbell curls wrong. Said I needed to do them super quick as to stim. my biceps more. I thought the guy was gonna nail himself in the head he was goin so fast. I just stepped back, had a chuckle, and kept on w/ reps.
Force = Mass * Accelleration

***By no way, shape, or form am I siding with this dumb*ss at your gym, but he brings up a very good point (although it seems he's milking it for more than it's worth). When done within reason, an explosive concentric motion can do some major damage when it comes to making gains.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Force = Mass * Accelleration

***By no way, shape, or form am I siding with this dumb*ss at your gym, but he brings up a very good point (although it seems he's milking it for more than it's worth). When done within reason, an explosive concentric motion can do some major damage when it comes to making gains.
Your muscle fibers are limited to the tension they can generate themselves on an individual basis though, so the equation while true doesn't get to the meat of it. Explosive concentrics are more useful in my opinion as used in West Side, developing one aspect of strength. Also muscle damage seems to be only one path to get muscle growth. There are studies out there showing significant muscle growth with no indicators of damage, just high energy turnover. Check out the Hypertrophy Research link in my sig, a lot of this info is posted on those pages and in the forum over there.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
She's even gone as far as to say that everyone who notices my changes and compliments me are just trying to be nice cuz they know Im trying, but that I really havent made any changes. (Go figure.)
Ouch.:blink:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Thats harsh -- her saying that they're just being nice -- that would piss me off -- I had an ex that said stuff like that -- she was awesome in the sack and hot, but those are comments that someone wouldn't say if they're in you're corner. I always felt like giving her a chicken wing in the side of the head. How you get even is when you're drillin' her, you give a few hate thrusts, you know, slam her real good and hard :woohoo:
Yeah it upset me for sure. It's hard to have the heart that it takes to succsede when the people close to you either dont belive in you or dont give a crap about your goals. In all fairness, she only actually brought that up during our most hurtfull knock down drag out arguments, but I know that she believes it even when she doesnt say so. In her defense she is/has always been supportive of my music aspirations, (and now Im almost done w/ music college.)
Well, now I dont know if she's still going to be my GF. When I was drugged out on sleep meds, she woke me up to get it on, and while we were "warming up", she asked if I loved her. I said yes. (wich is true). Then she asked if I was "In love with her". And I didnt answer. I didnt know how to quantify it. plus Ive been falling for my "Misstress" I guess U could say. Who she doesnt/cant know about, and who lives 1000miles +away from where we currently reside. So we havent spoke since then. She's totally in love w/ me. But now she's backing off, cuz she doesnt think I feel the same way, and because I might move and leave her once my family money runs out when I graduate. It's a huge mess, and Im way bummed. True, her ignorance of bodybuilding has been a problem, (she gets mad when I try to get her to supplement w/ something that has been purported to help w/ her medical conditions (she's disabled w/ fibromyalgia, and diabetes, and various other ailments.) Natural supps that arent really her doctors turf. But she says "the supplements are my deal not hers, and Im not a doctor, so why should she take vitamins or eat right or stop drinking and smoking just cuz I read something somewhere." but she really does try to look out for me, and would probably lay her life down for me. Sorry for the hijack brothers! LOL.
Guess that opened up a bigger can of worms than I anticipated!

I love you guys.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Ive been d-loading articles and studies off that hypertrophy research site for the last month or so myself. Awesome site.

darkpoet3113

Awards
Yeah it upset me for sure. It's hard to have the heart that it takes to succsede when the people close to you either dont belive in you or dont give a crap about your goals. In all fairness, she only actually brought that up during our most hurtfull knock down drag out arguments, but I know that she believes it even when she doesnt say so. In her defense she is/has always been supportive of my music aspirations, (and now Im almost done w/ music college.)
Well, now I dont know if she's still going to be my GF. When I was drugged out on sleep meds, she woke me up to get it on, and while we were "warming up", she asked if I loved her. I said yes. (wich is true). Then she asked if I was "In love with her". And I didnt answer. I didnt know how to quantify it. plus Ive been falling for my "Misstress" I guess U could say. Who she doesnt/cant know about, and who lives 1000miles +away from where we currently reside. So we havent spoke since then. She's totally in love w/ me. But now she's backing off, cuz she doesnt think I feel the same way, and because I might move and leave her once my family money runs out when I graduate. It's a huge mess, and Im way bummed. True, her ignorance of bodybuilding has been a problem, (she gets mad when I try to get her to supplement w/ something that has been purported to help w/ her medical conditions (she's disabled w/ fibromyalgia, and diabetes, and various other ailments.) Natural supps that arent really her doctors turf. But she says "the supplements are my deal not hers, and Im not a doctor, so why should she take vitamins or eat right or stop drinking and smoking just cuz I read something somewhere." but she really does try to look out for me, and would probably lay her life down for me. Sorry for the hijack brothers! LOL.
Guess that opened up a bigger can of worms than I anticipated!

I love you guys.

no, worries.... whats your major in college i'm a sound engineer/ producer... i'm also a composer... small world aye?
cheers,
darkpoet3113

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Oh, thats cool bro, Im peformance now (drumset). I was a double major doing composition major too. But after doing all but the last two comp classes, I realized Id gotten all I had set out to get from that major. (All the cool techniques to rippoff and use in contemporary.) The last couple comp courses are mostly orientated to people who's intention is to build a portfolio (for the portfolio society) and work their way up the chamber music circuit and eventually if their successful to the orchestras. I on the other hand wanted to use the comp knowledge coupled with my jazz and contemporary harmonic vocab to write stuff that incorporated my instrument, the drumset. I want to write stuff that combines my many influences. Jazz/rock (fusion)+ baroque/classical/post-classical + metal/extreme metal + hip hop + pop. I've written one or two pieces that segue between those elements, but it's hard to write stuff that combines all that stuff that I like and present it in a pallatable package if you know what I mean. Either the tunes end up too long, or the sections of a piece are hard to make relate to eachother, or I just have to save some of those influences for another song. Lol. Wich is what happens most of the time.

So do you work for a studio bro?

darkpoet3113

Awards
as of now no, i'm back in school, working more of my degree. so i'm just writing now. so you're majoring in performance, that was never my thing, i'm don't consider myself a musician, more of an composer.. i like to write... playing is o.k. if you can get together with people who are on the same page... i was always the guy taking people songs, and tweaking them or helping make them better. in my opinion... i would think incorporating jazz with some of the genre about would be difficult... i'm not great at writing jazz. arranging or rather deranging is whole another story..
cheers,
darkpoet3113

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Thats cool. Going for a degree in wich major? Comp?
I had my phase of post bop jazz a few years back, but only dabble in it once in awhile for fun now days. I like fusion styles that take some of the jazz concepts applied to other stylistic mixtures alot though.
It's funny you should mention tweaking peoples songs cuz I just finished up a course called "reharmonization" that involved taking standards, and applying contemporary harmony techniques of varying sorts that we've learned to "fix" and/or (hopefully) improve on the harmonies w/out changing the melody. In the arranging classes we could REALLY take the tunes far out, but those classes are a pain in the arse IMO. Id much rather compose than do what proffesional arrangers have to do. Im like one of the only people in my school that is way in to bodybuilding. So it's kind of a trip for my classmates when they see how I live. (ie:bringing a cooler to class, eating in class etc.) Not to mention Im the only one at the school that looks even close to a bodybuilder. But it's cool though, now that Im part time especially.

darkpoet3113

Awards
i'm trying to finish my audio production degree at the moment. "reharmonisation" huh? i love to take that class.. i'd have a ball.. i love taking songs just for fun and rearranging them.. especially all thoses 80's new wave songs... also love taking movement from symphonies or theme songs and adding them into a metal song.. it's funny ****... i one took a misfits song, turned it into a piece for chamber music... oh my... it's was awesome!!!!!.
cheers,
darkpoet3113
cheers,
darkpoet3113