love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Unassisted chin ups and pull ups are not small victories for a woman. They are damn impressive. Congrats getting back to doing them!
Thank you! I definitely feel like they are! Between being such a hoss and then loosing a ton of weight pretty quickly- it’s been a long time. Goal will be to get back to doing weighted ones eventually.

Pull-ups are probably the best gauge for relative strength. Good job.
Thank you!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have no doubts you will be back to them soon! Let's see a progress pic, I am sure you look great!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have no doubts you will be back to them soon! Let's see a progress pic, I am sure you look great!
I do need to take some official ones but here is a pic from Friday.

IMG_7049.JPG

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking beautiful Kat! I can see why you are smiling! Looking tiny, but the shoulder caps and guns are showing the hard work too! Love it! Congratulations!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I forgot, did your doc put you on Semaglutide, or are they just focusing on increasing your metabolism more now?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice!
Check out them guns!
(y)
Haha thank you!

Looking beautiful Kat! I can see why you are smiling! Looking tiny, but the shoulder caps and guns are showing the hard work too! Love it! Congratulations!!!!
I forgot, did your doc put you on Semaglutide, or are they just focusing on increasing your metabolism more now?
Thank you! I feel pretty tiny when I see myself in the mirror but it is nice to see the muscles show up! Haha Yes, I started it in December but have been on a really low dose since June. A lot of my issues were hormonal and including insulin response/pre diabetic mess…So that was why she chose to do semaglutide. Plus high lipid levels that I was super concerned about with my father having hereditary heart disease.
I had no clue it would be so successful. Most people only loose 15-20 lbs tops but since I had worked on every other area, things all just came together. The current goal is just to continue rebuilding muscle.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome, that sounds great. I intend to have semaglutide on hand for my contest prep. I have seen a few coaches talking about what a game changer it is during prep. Not feeling starving all the time seems to really help with the mental part of prep from everything I have been seeing people who are talking about it during prep saying.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome, that sounds great. I intend to have semaglutide on hand for my contest prep. I have seen a few coaches talking about what a game changer it is during prep. Not feeling starving all the time seems to really help with the mental part of prep from everything I have been seeing people who are talking about it during prep saying.
I bet it would be! Especially early on I struggled to get enough food because I had no appetite and was really nauseous. But overall it is a huge help for the “never feeling satisfied” part of cutting as well as the mental side of constantly thinking about food. The more research I’ve done, the more impressive the glp1 inhibitors are.

first thing I always notice is the biceps, sorta jealous !
Haha well thanks! I have no doubt yours are much bigger than mine lol

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ha I was watching Devon Witherspoon flex his biceps last night on monday night football and I thought dang, I might be bigger than him but his biceps look awesome too

View attachment 236489
Haha yes they do! I’m always checking out other people’s delts! Lol So I understand!

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Working on pull up strength as well. Great job.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pretty stoked that I can finally do unassisted chin ups and pull-ups again! It’s been a few years! Muscles are starting to fill back out after all of the weight loss as well! Small victories!
Congrats! Did you follow a program to do this, or anything in particular?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Congrats! Did you follow a program to do this, or anything in particular?
No I have been doing banded pull-ups and just slowly decreasing the strength of the band. I usually start with the least resistance and add resistance as my muscles get tired. Example- 1st set is body weight to failure, then add the lightest band and get as many more reps as I can. Wait 1.5-2mins and then do the same. Usually by the 3rd or 4th set I will only get a couple at body weight, so I will jump up and just focus on the negative…then add the band to finish off. (I hope that makes sense. Haha)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No I have been doing banded pull-ups and just slowly decreasing the strength of the band. I usually start with the least resistance and add resistance as my muscles get tired. Example- 1st set is body weight to failure, then add the lightest band and get as many more reps as I can. Wait 1.5-2mins and then do the same. Usually by the 3rd or 4th set I will only get a couple at body weight, so I will jump up and just focus on the negative…then add the band to finish off. (I hope that makes sense. Haha)
Gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This makes my heart full. I trained with a lot of phenomenal female athletes who would have great squats naturally but struggled with upper strength, and would do banded pull-ups for months, sometimes years and make zero progress. I did a lot of tests/studies with them and time and time again we found that doing negatives would bridge the gap on a woman moving away from bands to legit pull-ups. I LOVE your approach. I love that you are doing it "raw" at first like we would a power lift then adding the bands as an accessory whereas so many people I knew would just sit there and slam out their 3 sets of 10 or whatever banded and get frustrated that a year later they had made no progress.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This makes my heart full. I trained with a lot of phenomenal female athletes who would have great squats naturally but struggled with upper strength, and would do banded pull-ups for months, sometimes years and make zero progress. I did a lot of tests/studies with them and time and time again we found that doing negatives would bridge the gap on a woman moving away from bands to legit pull-ups. I LOVE your approach. I love that you are doing it "raw" at first like we would a power lift then adding the bands as an accessory whereas so many people I knew would just sit there and slam out their 3 sets of 10 or whatever banded and get frustrated that a year later they had made no progress.
Thank you! I can’t take all of the credit @MrKleen73 has taught me a lot about training over the years!! I definitely find you never stop learning and adjusting to your body, goals, injuries etc I think that’s one of the things I find so fun about training. I’m not a very good “by the book/rules” girl. Haha

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Had my first squat session in forever and man did it feel SO GOOD to get back under the bar! I was nervous of how weak I’d be and I didn’t push it weight wise - focused more on volume. I was surprised how smoothly 135 went and felt!

Many of you know I’ve struggled with a hip injury for years now. Squats are one of the main exercises that cause pain… so when it flares up I do more walking lunges, machines/isolation exercises. I have been working on mobility a ton more over the past few years as well as strengthening the stabilizing muscles in/around the hips.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Had my first squat session in forever and man did it feel SO GOOD to get back under the bar! I was nervous of how weak I’d be and I didn’t push it weight wise - focused more on volume. I was surprised how smoothly 135 went and felt!

Many of you know I’ve struggled with a hip injury for years now. Squats are one of the main exercises that cause pain… so when it flares up I do more walking lunges, machines/isolation exercises. I have been working on mobility a ton more over the past few years as well as strengthening the stabilizing muscles in/around the hips.
This is awesome, I know you couldn't squat or even leg press for a little while. Break in easy!!!!!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did it come with some decent DOMs? Since I switched my focus to deads I took like 2 months in between squat sessions and that first day back, holy doms. lol I was sore within hours 😅😅

man I'm the opposite. I tend to do better with a keep it simple approach on my squats. as soon as I start adding a ton of accessories like lunges and bulgarians, that's when the irritation kicks it up a notch

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is awesome, I know you couldn't squat or even leg press for a little while. Break in easy!!!!!!
Yes it was! Doing it without pain made it even better!!

Did it come with some decent DOMs? Since I switched my focus to deads I took like 2 months in between squat sessions and that first day back, holy doms. lol I was sore within hours

man I'm the opposite. I tend to do better with a keep it simple approach on my squats. as soon as I start adding a ton of accessories like lunges and bulgarians, that's when the irritation kicks it up a notch
Most definitely! My legs were even tender to the touch! Haha Loved it! Now working in the yard, shoveling and moving dirt this weekend helped me work through the pain!

When I did the accessory work it was actually in place of squats and I cut my volume down 1/3rd of what it was over the past couple of years too. So between all of those adjustments it allowed the inflammation to reduce. Part of my hip issue is a bone spur on the front of my pelvic bone - so oddly enough keeping my knee centered to my hip vs angled out for squats didn’t cause as much irritation.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Any updates? Looks like you're still putting in work.
Hey thanks for asking! Things are still progressing and I’m building a bit of muscle little by little. I am slowly increasing calories as to maintain the weight loss. Son has been going with me most days since marching band is over.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey thanks for asking! Things are still progressing and I’m building a bit of muscle little by little. I am slowly increasing calories as to maintain the weight loss. Son has been going with me most days since marching band is over.
All great news!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Merry Christmas everyone!!! I hope you all get to enjoy some time with those you love! Although each year may bring its own challenges and hardships, I pray you’re able to embrace the joys around you and look forward to the hope to come!
IMG_7995.JPG

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Merry Christmas @love2liftkat!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey guys! Happy late new year! Haha life is good and busy as usual! We traveled for about a week after Christmas and then got home in time for the usual rat race of work and such. I trained the first week alone and son started back with me this week. I’m very surprised that the gym hasn’t been busier tbh. What “new” people I’ve seen are ones that just kinda slacked off. Not necessarily brand new.

We did get one of those ninja wood fired pizza oven’s 8-in 1 or whatever as a gift to each other for Christmas. Have made homemade pizza but it also lets you smoke/roast meats as well. So we made prime rib in it for Christmas and have done chicken several times too! Unfortunately I don’t really have many pictures but man has it been good! lol

Here’s what I did take…oh and I made smoked sea salt for Christmas gifts!

IMG_7931.JPG
IMG_7952.JPG

A few days ago I ran across a pic from a little over a year ago and cringed! It’s crazy looking back just how far I’ve been able to come. I knew I was big and I hated it. It was years of work to get things all sorted out health/hormonally as well as mentally overcoming so much. I feel sooooo much better! Just something as simple as staying awake for the whole 12 hr drive to see my family…and being able to run around the water park hotel riding rides with my son! I am so THANKFUL!!!

0E02DBCF-2180-4F95-9C34-3A227F4C7D96.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking awesome Kat, great improvements, and now you have me wanting to go look that Ninja thing up!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just went and looked at it. I see myself getting one within the year. It looks awesome. I bet that pizza setting could sear something pretty nicely too!

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just went and looked at it. I see myself getting one within the year. It looks awesome. I bet that pizza setting could sear something pretty nicely too!
My family has one, they use it more for searing steaks after sous vide than anything else. I think the thing gets up 700F!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My family has one, they use it more for searing steaks after sous vide than anything else. I think the thing gets up 700F!
Yeah, that is what I was looking at on their site. I was surprised it didn't highlight it as a good way to sear something.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking awesome Kat, great improvements, and now you have me wanting to go look that Ninja thing up!
Yeah, that is what I was looking at on their site. I was surprised it didn't highlight it as a good way to sear something.
Thank you! You totally should get one!! I definitely think they market more to the masses rather than people that can really cook.

That Ninja pizza oven is badass, I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets. I caught up on this thread and others when I joined, you're killing it!
Well thanks!! That’s a lot of pages to get through haha

It’s so great and so versatile! We are all about the kitchen gadgets too! We rarely cook protein on the stove/oven typically outside or sous vide as well! We have the pizza oven in the garage so it’s nice to use it when it’s raining too! My hubby always picked at me when I’d have him grilling in the rain. lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you! You totally should get one!! I definitely think they market more to the masses rather than people that can really cook.

Well thanks!! That’s a lot of pages to get through haha

It’s so great and so versatile! We are all about the kitchen gadgets too! We rarely cook protein on the stove/oven typically outside or sous vide as well! We have the pizza oven in the garage so it’s nice to use it when it’s raining too! My hubby always picked at me when I’d have him grilling in the rain. lol
Ha, not sure if that is a recommendation or commentary on my cooking abilities! ;)

Yeah the pizza part is what makes me the most excited, I would like to learn to make pizza at home where I can control the ingredients and oils used. However my money will be tied up in stuff for the competition this year, and that is a bit steep for something I don't need right now.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ha, not sure if that is a recommendation or commentary on my cooking abilities! ;)

Yeah the pizza part is what makes me the most excited, I would like to learn to make pizza at home where I can control the ingredients and oils used. However my money will be tied up in stuff for the competition this year, and that is a bit steep for something I don't need right now.
Hahaha nothing like that! I was more complimenting your ability saying you know how to cook so you would be using it on a higher end level than others.

That’s why we enjoy it! Pizza usually makes me feel pretty crappy and making it at home with higher quality ingredients doesn’t. I completely understand waiting though! We ended up finding ours at Sam’s for just over $200 so when you get ready I’d suggest looking at places like Sam’s and Costco for deals. They usually have a special package with extra accessories.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hahaha nothing like that! I was more complimenting your ability saying you know how to cook so you would be using it on a higher end level than others.

That’s why we enjoy it! Pizza usually makes me feel pretty crappy and making it at home with higher quality ingredients doesn’t. I completely understand waiting though! We ended up finding ours at Sam’s for just over $200 so when you get ready I’d suggest looking at places like Sam’s and Costco for deals. They usually have a special package with extra accessories.
Is yours the smaller one, or the bigger one? I was looking at the bigger one, well because I am a Dude and... UHM....

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I know it doesn't get any hotter just bigger. LOL

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s sad I made the noise he would make when he was talking about modifying something for more power 😂
@akboom87 Nope, what is bad is that I couldn't find a meme with it saying the OH, OHHH, OHHHH noise when that is what I was looking for.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is yours the smaller one, or the bigger one? I was looking at the bigger one, well because I am a Dude and... UHM....

View attachment 239575
Haha This is the one we got. I didn’t even realize there was more than one size.

It’s sad I made the noise he would make when he was talking about modifying something for more power
Haha it’s just natural- you gotta make those noises when you talk about him

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh, okay that is the smaller one, but sounds like it does the trick for your family. Probably enough for mine too.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh, okay that is the smaller one, but sounds like it does the trick for your family. Probably enough for mine too.
Yeah it really does! Only time I think it would be a little challenging is if you were meal prepping a ton of meat like chicken where you need to space it out. We were able to do a prime rib for 6-8 easy.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it really does! Only time I think it would be a little challenging is if you were meal prepping a ton of meat like chicken where you need to space it out. We were able to do a prime rib for 6-8 easy.
Very nice!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It was years of work to get things all sorted out health/hormonally as well as mentally overcoming so much.
I'd be curious to hear of any particular hormone/health challenges you overcame. My wife is starting to see some progress finally after bouncing off the same weight for a couple years now and constantly beating her head against the wall.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd be curious to hear of any particular hormone/health challenges you overcame. My wife is starting to see some progress finally after bouncing off the same weight for a couple years now and constantly beating her head against the wall.
She had to work through getting her meds right for her Hashimoto's. That was a big part of it for sure.