Friendly Over Head DB Triceps Ext. Challenge...

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still love doing weighted bench dips now and then. I just load an Oly bar, put it across my lap and rep it out.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still love doing weighted bench dips now and then. I just load an Oly bar, put it across my lap and rep it out.
Now that's a good triceps exercise. Thanks AZ. I haven't done those in years. Gonna load up my immortal lap with some heavy weights next Wednesday!!:box:

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Been busy(moving right now) but haven't missed a gym day just yet :)

Got another idea for a comp today... walking lunges. Did 3 sets of 30 with 20 lb DBs(was 15 each way, went back and forth because it's not a really long distance). I'll be walking wobbly for a few days, lol.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been busy(moving right now) but haven't missed a gym day just yet :)

Got another idea for a comp today... walking lunges. Did 3 sets of 30 with 20 lb DBs(was 15 each way, went back and forth because it's not a really long distance). I'll be walking wobbly for a few days, lol.
I do a lunge routine that wrecks me...It works out to 32 lunges for a set. I do 1 set of BW and jump right to 1 set of 20lb DBs in each hand. I then rest 1 minute and do 3 sets with 45lb DBs in each hand with 1 minute rest between. The kicker is that I stay on the balls of my feet the whole time and act like I am balancing on a rope line down the floor. It really brings all the support muscles into the exercise and gets the front quads involved.:bigok:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice lots of good ideas in here. If we did a lunging contest they would have to be walk through lunges, non of that wedding march lunges. Back foot up move it all the way to front, not to the center to catch balance then step forward.

I used to walk around our bally's track doing them with 35-45 lb db's... WHOAH NELLIE, those are true beasts.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I only do the natural motion walking lunges!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I only do the natural motion walking lunges!
Same. Never tried the wedding march type ones :/

I will do it standing in place if there are too many people in the gym, but at this new YMCA gym... the free weights seem to be NEVER packed :) All for me :D Only horrible thing is that the DBs only go to 100, and there is only one of them :/

When do you guys usually throw in squats in your WO? Today I did something new and did them second(after calf raises). Didn't seem to affect my lunges and such much. Just wondering what most other people do.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Depends on the workout/ split I am doing. If a leg specific workout I tend to do them before anything else. If a full body I will do them at the end of the workout and follow them with an isolation for the side of my legs i didn't hit. IE... Olympic squats paired with Leg curls or SDL's. Power Squatting is paired with Leg Extensions or Hack Squats.

Believe it or not though the biggest my legs ever were i did not touch the regular squats. Leg press and hack squats were my mass builders. I had 28 inch thighs then at the biggest point. Now I am about 25 and want to move up to about 26 maybe 26.5 inches. However that will wait until after i cut down a bit to see what I really need to be as aesthetic and balanced as possible.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys this Monday I am going for the 150lb DB for the over head extensions .... wish me luck. Going to follow the three working sets with a 100lb for 20-25 clean reps just for a burn out. Keep in mind last year at this time I could only do 100 for 3 reps. Great gains my brothers.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can't wait to hear how you do. I will still sneak in a DB Tricep extension every week or two to keep up with this even though I am lightening my load on all other lifts for a while.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys this Monday I am going for the 150lb DB for the over head extensions .... wish me luck. Going to follow the three working sets with a 100lb for 20-25 clean reps just for a burn out. Keep in mind last year at this time I could only do 100 for 3 reps. Great gains my brothers.
Very nice :shocked1:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's tremendous gains in only a year's time, my brother!!! :clap2::35::notworthy:

Take no prisoners and leave no survivors!!!

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
How many reps you shooting for AG? You can crank out 10-15 no prob with that 150. ;)
lol I wish. I will be happy with 5 to start. Never done this weight before. will pyramid up like this

90lb x 5
120 x 5
150 x 5
immediate drops to 100 x 25
at least that is the goal. Doing this after 2 chest lifts, so the tri's should be good and warm :sombrero:

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
lol I wish. I will be happy with 5 to start. Never done this weight before. will pyramid up like this

90lb x 5
120 x 5
150 x 5
immediate drops to 100 x 25
at least that is the goal. Doing this after 2 chest lifts, so the tri's should be good and warm :sombrero:
Kill it, yo!!!

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
I wish I'd seen this earlier. I got 120*10*2 at 190 earlier this year, the gym I go to most of the time only goes up to 80lb DB (damn Planet Fitness) but I'll hit up the other gym with the big boy DBs this week to see what I can put up now.

I start my SD cycle this week tho, so will my numbers not count:(?

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
didn't know if this was all natural guys....wait nevermind, thundergod is in on this. They count for sure.
:firedevil:

Nur Das Starke Soll Überleben!!!
Only The Strong Shall Survive!!!

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
didn't know if this was all natural guys....wait nevermind, thundergod is in on this. They count for sure.
LOL, that's not nice. What's wrong with a little Dark Side pharmaceutical enhancement?

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Can't rep TG again for awesomeness :(

Today is the day AG... hope you are taking an extra shot of MAN before you lift :D

I personally have had little/no luck on raising my DB ext. weights lately. Moving up here, everything is weird, it's nothing like the other gym. The DBs are all FRESH(it looks like none of them have ever been used). Which is good, but it's frakking painful to hold anything over 80 lbs because of the handle being so fresh, it feels like it's cutting into you. I have chest/tris again in a few days and will hopefully be hitting 100x10, only got 100x7 last time, and I needed the spotter :/

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AG I am waiting to see how it goes for you... makes my 100x8 from Saturday seem weaksauce but for me it was a huge improvement. Some craziness in here gentlemen that is all I can say!

Kill it Major!!!!!!!

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Can't rep TG again for awesomeness :(

Today is the day AG... hope you are taking an extra shot of MAN before you lift :D

I personally have had little/no luck on raising my DB ext. weights lately. Moving up here, everything is weird, it's nothing like the other gym. The DBs are all FRESH(it looks like none of them have ever been used). Which is good, but it's frakking painful to hold anything over 80 lbs because of the handle being so fresh, it feels like it's cutting into you. I have chest/tris again in a few days and will hopefully be hitting 100x10, only got 100x7 last time, and I needed the spotter :/

Are you doing 1 hand??

I hold onto one side of the db when doing two hand

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
ok gents (an I use that term loosely with most of you!!!!)
2 hand overhead DB Extensions today
results
90 x 5
120 x 5
150 x 3 PR!!! Wanted 5 but will take the 3 and kill it up to the 5 next week! No tutu picks for me!!! that was the goal to get up to 150 for 5. I have 1 week left before my personal Kleen challenge is over and it is all but done!!! Perhaps I will still do a pick in fish net stockings???!!! wait what???? lol keep your mind out of the gutter Met!!!
finished up with 100x18 (Wanted 25, but the triceps were hammered with the 150)
I am finally entering the league with the big boys!!! make room gents!!!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your numbers are already in with the big boys AG!!

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
results
90 x 5
120 x 5
150 x 3 PR!!! Wanted 5 but will take the 3 and kill it up to the 5 next week! No tutu picks for me!!! that was the goal to get up to 150 for 5. I have 1 week left before my personal Kleen challenge is over and it is all but done!!! Perhaps I will still do a pick in fish net stockings???!!! wait what???? lol keep your mind out of the gutter Met!!!
Very nice :D New PRs are always, ALWAYZ awesome. You should celebrate by doing a cycle :p

You'll hit 150x5 next time for sure...you won't have that "Can I do 150?" mentality that comes with a new weight(or am I the only one?).

Votum: Nah, doing 2 hands. I mentioned the DB grips just randomly, nothing to do with DB ext. It's just pissing me off because my hands are so torn up from only a few workouts here. Will prolly be moving to gloves because of it :/

And I'll pay you to NOT take pics in a tutu or said stockings :p

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
results
90 x 5
120 x 5
Excellent execution of yon weights, Bruder-Krieger!!

Sie Sind Ein Von Krieger geborener Wahrer!!
You Are A True Warrior-Born!!!

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Nice work AG!!!!!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
VICTORY ACHIEVED!!!!

I hit up the challenge one more time this morning. It was after my chest routine, so I was well warmed-up.

2 Hand Behind Head DB Triceps Extensions--160X10.

I actually got an 11th rep, but couldn't quite lock it out. So I won't count it.
The hardest thing is getting these huge DB's into place!!!:grumpy::banghead:

The satisfaction was well worth the sacrifice..........as always!!!

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
NICE!!!!

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
simply amazing my friend!!!! just impressive!!! Agreed on getting them into place!!! I couldn't do the 150 on my own!

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
VICTORY ACHIEVED!!!!

I hit up the challenge one more time this morning. It was after my chest routine, so I was well warmed-up.

2 Hand Behind Head DB Triceps Extensions--160X10.

I actually got an 11th rep, but couldn't quite lock it out. So I won't count it.
The hardest thing is getting these huge DB's into place!!!:grumpy::banghead:

The satisfaction was well worth the sacrifice..........as always!!!

Booooommmm!! And Ex-T has to share the lead!!!!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap O_O TG has the gold so far. Once my bionic arms come in the mail, I'll be taking it :p

I didn't try to max out today, but I did some tri ext. after my chest WO and I think 2 tri exercises. I was able to nab 95x10 at the end of all of my workout and would have gone for 12 but I only had two "elderly" people by me, so I wasn't going to risk it. "Jim grab my cane, I've gotta help this kid!"

In a few more days, hoping to hit 100x10, or I may go straight to 105x6 or 8.

And, agreed on the fact the hardest part is getting it into place. I need to master it before I get the 100 or 105 up on my own. I can do up to 95 just putting it on my upper chest/shoulder then going up, but any bigger and I just don't have the room without crushing my throat :p

On a random note: I added in swimming laps for my cardio since we have a pool across the street now... HOLY CRAP. I thought interval training was hardcore... swimming is slaughtering my legs.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
I am going to try and video myself doing the 100 for 20-25 this next week. We will see how that goes... Just want you guys to see how my form is compared to everyone elses.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And, agreed on the fact the hardest part is getting it into place. I need to master it before I get the 100 or 105 up on my own. I can do up to 95 just putting it on my upper chest/shoulder then going up, but any bigger and I just don't have the room without crushing my throat :p
Votum mentioned earlier in this thread that he places the DB on top of the seated upright of the bench he's using. Then he holds the DB there with one hand while walking around the bench and sitting down. The DB is pretty much in place at this point.

I may have to try this technique out for myself. I've been wrestling them up like you do and I've been sitting on a flat bench without a back support. I do this on purpose to engage my core. I have to wrap my feet around the bottom of the bench's support "legs" to keep me from leaning back.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Votum mentioned earlier in this thread that he places the DB on top of the seated upright of the bench he's using. Then he holds the DB there with one hand while walking around the bench and sitting down. The DB is pretty much in place at this point.

I may have to try this technique out for myself. I've been wrestling them up like you do and I've been sitting on a flat bench without a back support. I do this on purpose to engage my core. I have to wrap my feet around the bottom of the bench's support "legs" to keep me from leaning back.

Ya, I'll start doing it the way he does next time. I'll start it at lower weights to get the jist of it so I don't screw it up with the bigger weight.

I do them on flat bench sometimes, I actually like it more(because of the core). I find it harder to keep my back and such straight while repping though, which is why I mainly use the one with the back.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Impressive numbers AG! and TG you are insane bro seriously. I too have been wrestling to get the weight above my head so thanks for the bench tip. I'm stuck at 110x10-12 range I know its mental and Im thinking about pulling the trigger on the EZ bar technique.

btw still waiting for a friendly military press competition

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
srry yall im a little confused, "over head DB tri ext"

this is done with one DB?
held by both hands correct?
arms str8 up over head and eccentric phase would be dropping the weight behind the head??

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wished our gym even had 160's, but all I could do with them are probably shrugs.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
srry yall im a little confused, "over head DB tri ext"

this is done with one DB?
held by both hands correct?
arms str8 up over head and eccentric phase would be dropping the weight behind the head??

Yezzir.

Sit on bench(with back if you wish), raise DB over head using both hands, slightly behind the head, down and up. It is up to you if you would like fellow lifters to inject you with various amounts of testosterone during the lift.

I wish we had 160 dbs as well... shrugs would be awesome at that weight using DBs O_O

On that note, who else mainly does their shrugs with DBs? I had been using BB, but the straps were killing my wrists and my grip wasn't too great, so anything over 225 lbs I couldn't do simply because of the grip. I started doing DB shrugs not too long ago, and to make up for the loss of weight, I try to hold for 1-2 secs at the top of each rep, and on the 10th I try to go for 5 secs. Really starts killing me around the 95s.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
thanx i was just makin sure. now i can say i bet theirs a few of us in here using improper form with all this weight.

your elbows should not be jutting outward but more like pointing in the direction you are facing.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
I am going to post a video, hopefully...., Monday with how I do them. I believe that most on here do them a similar way. The vid will be the 100 trying to get 20-25 reps. Doing the lighter reps to show the form, plus I can get that one up easily on my own. When I get home I will try to vid the 150lb, but might wait until I can hit it for 10 clean reps...

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
so 160 for 10 is the number to beat?

ex-tightend83

Awards
  • Established
Actually, I had 160 for 11 using the EZ-curl bar- see page 5, post #121 (since my gym's DBs only go up to 125), but it seems no one's giving me credit for that. I'm like Rodney Dangerfield...just not dead.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, I had 160 for 11 using the EZ-curl bar- see page 5, post #121 (since my gym's DBs only go up to 125), but it seems no one's giving me credit for that. I'm like Rodney Dangerfield...just not dead.
Respects big man!!

View attachment 34333

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
hahaha so ex tight has the number to beat...160x11.....looks like a good goal to beat....muahahahaha

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It counts. We understand that you don't have access to the larger DB's. But what you did tempts me to use my EZ Bar next time to make sure your number is truly the winner here. :sly:
You have over 80lbs. of bodyweight on me. Others mentioned earlier in the thread to take that into account when deciding the winner. But I don't want the win that way. I want it outright!!! So I'm gonna load up the EZ Bar to 175 lbs. next time with blood in my eyes and go all-out!! :twisted:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wished our gym even had 160's, but all I could do with them are probably shrugs.
Yeah right. :rolleyes:
I know of your power, Volcom.
With your strength, you'd probably be doing one-arm concentration curls with them!!!:yup: