Volcom's, Controlled Labs' - Look good in dem BLUE GENE(s), Sponsored Log

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Second Workout

My day started at 5:45am this morning and will officially end at 10:00pm tonight. For whatever reason and however possible, following this mornings HIIT, I went for a second workout.

I love using the school's gym. Their back exercise machines seem to stimulate at just the right angle that really demolishes my back.

Free Weight Loaded, Close-Undergrip Pull Downs
225lbs x 10 reps
235lbs x 9 reps
245lbs x 6 reps

Free Weight Loaded, Wide-Overgrip Pull Downs
185lbs x 10 reps
185lbs x 9 reps
185lbs x 8 reps

Free Weight Loaded, Seated Rows
185lbs x 8 reps
205lbs x 10 reps
225lbs x 8 reps

Standing, Cable, Straight Arm Pull Downs (the one that mimics a breast stroke)
110lbs x 10 reps
120lbs x 10 reps
120lbs x 8 reps

I'm convinced that I am not suffering from general over-training. Perhaps target muscle over-training? :think: Because my chest strength is trash lately, balance is off, the whole movement of benching is awkward and uncomfortable. I noticed I was shaking a lot last night when I was in full exentension. Again, I'll give Smiths a shot and see if its not some kind of isoloated issue with the stabilizers.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Definitely; my legs have always been a personal point of pride for me! They also hypertrophy relatively fast in comparison to the rest of my body. At the moment, at 193, I am sitting at ~23" 5/8 for my thighs and about 15.5" for my calves.

Here are some shots (I am bulking as of now, so excuse the wateriness!)

View attachment 23545
View attachment 23544
Looking good dude! Yep, a little vascularity for showboating & you'll be dialed in! ;)

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I take it your not going to be doing the routines that consist of weights? Or are there weights at Ramona?
actually sarah, my family friend that is crossfit certified, has kettleballs, a 150lb tire, and tons of other crap that im pretty sure shell probably bring for the session. and i hope she does. ive always wanted to try kettleball training and i get all excited thinking about doing tireflips :dance:

either way, it will probably be really intense and i expect to puke.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't had the chance to meet Sarah yet. I'm there before the roosters are up.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, it's ok. LOL. I mean, I'm relatively happy with my physique (though I'm still looking to improve A LOT), but if you go by the numbers, I'm pretty much a pussy. :hammer:
Too many people trip on numbers. We're not powerlifters here. It should matter more that we are using proper form and mind to muscle connection. Going for peak contractions, holds,....I had a guy tell me one time that girls don't care how much you bench, they just care what you look like when you peel your shirt off!! People hear about powerlifters and strongmen benching 700+ lbs, so then my 400+ sounds like sh*t! But I'm happy with it. I care more that I can "bounce" my pecs for the girls. They like that!! :icon_lol:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its only cool when you can bench 400lbs, when you don't weigh 400lbs.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just watched Viking's Road to the Olympia DVD. Nice work.
Do you mean our vikinginc here? How do I watch this DVD. Is it on youtube? Or for sell? :think: I'd love to see it!! :head:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
damn. hows your schedule now with 2 internships, school, girlfriend, job, AND body building?
Its not cool, and I somehow managed to squeeze in two workouts today. Like I said, my day started at 5:45am and I'll be done here at school by 10:00pm, everything else happens somewhere in between.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was just kidding around, it's his new video up on his log.
I saw that. LOL I would have bought a DVD from him. Very inspirational. So are your video clips. I love 'em. Props to both you guys. :clap2: You guys motivate the Hel out of me!! I'm going to soundly thrash my chest and triceps tomorrow morning! I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve night!! :woohoo:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw that. LOL I would have bought a DVD from him. Very inspirational. So are your video clips. I love 'em. Props to both you guys. :clap2: You guys motivate the Hel out of me!! I'm going to soundly thrash my chest and triceps tomorrow morning! I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve night!! :woohoo:
Thanks. I get excited for workouts, too. Especially if I know I get to trash a big back day with the fellas.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its only cool when you can bench 400lbs, when you don't weigh 400lbs.
I'm don't quite weigh 400 lbs. yet!! I am at a chunky 258 right now. LMAO.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Some people get pretty psyched when they can bench their weight... I just passed the point where I can bench the weight of my giant testicles.

baby steps guys

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Haha, Volcom, Thunder, thanks a lot for the kind words ! Ya'll don't know how inspiring and motivating it is to have that kind of encouragement !

Volcom: You say 'free weight loaded pulldowns'. Are these considered the Hammer Strength Pulldown Machines ? Where you have a fixed range of motion, but you can do various grips on this long bar ? ..

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, Volcom, Thunder, thanks a lot for the kind words ! Ya'll don't know how inspiring and motivating it is to have that kind of encouragement !

Volcom: You say 'free weight loaded pulldowns'. Are these considered the Hammer Strength Pulldown Machines ? Where you have a fixed range of motion, but you can do various grips on this long bar ? ..
No, we have hammer strengths at my local gym. I'll show a video, I saw Phil Heath using the same piece of equipment. Blow through the intro and its the first lat machine he uses. It feels very different from a regular, cable system lat pull down or even the hammer strengths, and for whatever reason, I always get prolonged DOMS from it.

YouTube - Phil Heath 4 weeks to IronMan 2008 - www.shririm.org

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yes we do!! I would not be training as hard as I am now, if it were not for all of you great guys here supporting and encouraging me. I appreciate you my young viking brother!! Your enthusiasm and excitement for training is totally contagious bro. I'm infected with intensity!!! :aargh::rant::frustrate

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, we have hammer strengths at my local gym. I'll show a video, I saw Phil Heath using the same piece of equipment. Blow through the intro and its the first lat machine he uses. It feels very different from a regular, cable system lat pull down or even the hammer strengths, and for whatever reason, I always get prolonged DOMS from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMcisjZs8c
We have this at my gym; I absolutely love it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We have this at my gym; I absolutely love it.
Currently, its my favorite piece of equipment.

I normally have a 24hr period until DOMS sets in. Some people are 48 hours and then there are those exceptionally brutal workouts that produce a 10-12hr DOMS, which are normally strains and spasms.

Strangely, I do not have any DOMS in my back from yesterdays workout, at least nothing yet :think: which is very out of the ordinary when I use the school's equipment.

Maybe its an effect of the Blue Balls Stack :think: Or maybe I'm speaking too soon. It is only 10:00am, if I'm DOMS free by 2:00pm, then this is officially extraordinary.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMcisjZs8c
For sure, now I know what you're talking about. That was actually what I had in mind, and tried to explain .. lol. It's an awesome piece of equipment. I love the angle you get on your upper torse when you do them behind-neck. Feel those deeeeep down my lats!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For sure, now I know what you're talking about. That was actually what I had in mind, and tried to explain .. lol. It's an awesome piece of equipment. I love the angle you get on your upper torse when you do them behind-neck. Feel those deeeeep down my lats!
I have not tried these behind the neck, but that sounds like a really good idea!

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
The rotating bar allows you to pull down at several different angles, depending on how you position your upper torso. You can flex your abs, lean forward, and pull down to behind-neck, or flex lower back, chest up, and pull deep into your chest. Love the varations !

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn that machine badass! I wish my crappy la fitness had cools machines.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yo sam im doing crossfit with one of the trainers from peak on thursday at ramona. wish me luck :thumbsup:
Hey Roland,

It'd be cool if you could post your exercises and your times for your cross-fit training this Saturday (obviously I'm inviting you to post it here). That kind of stuff is very hardcore and very interesting to me.

Sarah may or may not time you, because I'm not aware of what routines she will utilize. However, if you do get timed, I'd like to see it :thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a little edumacation. Cross Fit is basically performing a series of high velocity, high power movements, one after another without rest, until completion, and your performance is scaled against a clock.

For instance

10 cleans
10 pull ups
10 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

repeat,

9 cleans
9 pull ups
9 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

repeat,

8 cleans
8 pull ups
8 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

TIME: 4:32 or whatever that took.

It's painful to watch. It's a great form of conditioning and a great facet, though secondary, for strength. If you can imagine how this will jack your metabolism, holy moly.

I'll post a video as an example. A popular cross-fit exercise is called "the thrust" which consists of front squats to a power press. Cross-fit pull ups are also performed in a manner geared toward maximizing repetitions, not bodybuilder pulls ups, so there is a lot of jerk & swaying.

This video is the thrust, pull ups routine. I believe its 20 thrusts, 20 pull ups, 18 thrusts, 18 pull ups and 15 thrusts, 15 pull ups, back to back to back until timed completion.

YouTube - CROSS FIT TRAINING

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's painful to watch. It's a great form of conditioning and a great facet, though secondary, for strength. If you can imagine how this will jack your metabolism, holy moly.

I'll post a video as an example. A popular cross-fit exercise is called "the thrust" which consists of front squats to a power press. Cross-fit pull ups are also performed in a manner geared toward maximizing repetitions, not bodybuilder pulls ups, so there is a lot of jerk & swaying.

This video is the thrust, pull ups routine. I believe its 20 thrusts, 20 pull ups, 18 thrusts, 18 pull ups and 15 thrusts, 15 pull ups, back to back to back until timed completion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nwx7Q5j-k
HOLY MOLY is right.. wow. Totally different animal that training there is. Good vid - dig the song too, kinda cool..

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Just a little edumacation. Cross Fit is basically performing a series of high velocity, high power movements, one after another without rest, until completion, and your performance is scaled against a clock.

For instance

10 cleans
10 pull ups
10 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

repeat,

9 cleans
9 pull ups
9 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

repeat,

8 cleans
8 pull ups
8 deadlifts
400 meter sprint

TIME: 4:32 or whatever that took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nwx7Q5j-k
I did this exact one that you posted. Each of these routines have a different name, normally named after girls [?]. My old workout buddy from two years back quit bodybuilding for Crossfit training. I tried that one routine, using 95 lbs barbell for the thrust/front squat combo, and 20, 15, 10 reps on pull-ups. 6 minutes 30 or something. About a year ago. I hated it. It's all about explosiveness, endurance, form, stamina .. I HATED IT, did I not accentuate this enough ? .. For the typical bodybuilding, I don't see how they could even incorporate this kind of training (unless you call it HIIT cardio training), and that's why I was turned off by it. I don't want to set foot in the gym, workout for 8 minutes, then be done.. WTF !? And I don't want to lay down in pure exhaustion, when I have [in my opinion] not endured a pump, a real rep, or even a feel for individual muscle-group training . . .

Wow, I must come across as a hater. I'm not, though, just not an avid fan of Crossfit :icon_lol: :duel: :icon_lol:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For sure V-Man, def. a different animal. I like watching different things, trying new things.. but I'm kinda partial to my bodybuilding ways as well. Different strokes for different folks tho..

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a bodybuilder first myself. The best implication cross-fit has is conditioning, not bodybuilding. CF is all about power and explosiveness, just like Thomas said, which is completely ineffective for bodybuilding.

I'm not promoting CF or anything, just sharing. I could actually go on my own rant about the creator of CF, some of the things he says is real fuddy duddy and the people at his seminars eat it up like gospel. Anyhoo, CF would be great for conditioning and really effective for super charging the metabolism, but no, not for bodybuilding. I wasn't trying to promote this for bodybuilding sake :thumbsup:

A lot of Crossfit trainers carry an unearned sense of elitism, kind of like Britney's ex boyfriend, K-Fed, which coming from my academic perspective, is extra annoying, but not all of them.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strangely, I do not have any DOMS in my back from yesterdays workout, at least nothing yet :think: which is very out of the ordinary when I use the school's equipment.
Be glad brother. My back is still sore as fukk all after Sunday's brutal battle. I broke some deep fibers down that day!! :smite: I so love pain!! :twisted:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For sure V-Man, def. a different animal. I like watching different things, trying new things.. but I'm kinda partial to my bodybuilding ways as well. Different strokes for different folks tho..
I was thinking the same thing. I'll just stick to my "normal" lifting! ha ha That sh*t looks insane. I did laugh however at that bald dude doing those cheat chins. It looked like a full-body dry heave or some sh*t!! LMAO

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ouch

For the sake of mixing it up and a super charge to the metabolism, I did an all out, high velocity total body (almost) and some shrugs.

Off The Ground Cleans, super-set, Dead Lifts
[I had two separate barbells for this exercise]

- 135lbs OTG Cleans, s-s, 225lbs Dead lifts x 10 reps/10 reps
- 135lbs OTG Cleans, s-s, 225lbs Dead lifts x 6 reps/6 reps (yeah...)
- 135lbs OTG Cleans, s-s, 225lbs Dead lifts x 5 reps/5 reps

Front Squats, super-set, Shoulder Press
- 95lbs front squats, s-s, 95lbs Shoulder Press x8 reps/8 reps
- 95lbs front squats, s-s, 95lbs Shoulder Press x7 reps/7 reps
- 95lbs front squats, s-s, 95lbs Shoulder Press x6 reps/6 reps

Dumbbell Dead Lifts, super-set, Db Cleans, super-set, Power Press
45lbs Db's x 10 reps/10 reps/10 reps
45lbs Db's x 7 reps/7 reps/7 reps
45lbs Db's x 6 reps/6 reps/6 reps

Smith Shrugs (thank God!)
225lbs x 10 reps (and they felt like a ton of bricks!)
245lbs x 10 reps
265lbs x 10 reps

and I was done, I was actually done by the first exercise.

Toughest workout in my life! Energy expenditure wise, power lifting super-sets are BS. Probably something I'll only do intermittently, because obviously, bodybuilding is my priority and my blood.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those two smiley's are making me want to go to The Boathouse. I think I'll hold off until Friday, though. It's a little shack on the harbor that serves amazing gumbo, crappy beer, and middle aged women.

2 out of 3 isn't bad.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those two smiley's are making me want to go to The Boathouse. I think I'll hold off until Friday, though. It's a little shack on the harbor that serves amazing gumbo, crappy beer, and middle aged women.

2 out of 3 isn't bad.
hahaha, you and your cougars!

Amazing Gumbo, ehhhhh

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Volcom, that workout hurts just reading it. Wow.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom, that workout hurts just reading it. Wow.
I normally have very self averting and humble responses to compliments, but yeah, this one was rough, I'm gonna go ahead and take that prop :thumbsup: Thanks SB.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I normally have very self averting and humble responses to compliments, but yeah, this one was rough, I'm gonna go ahead and take that prop :thumbsup: Thanks SB.
:icon_lol:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
That workout looks brutal, V! Damn!

And I completely agree with viking! CF looks crazy intense, but it's just not for me!

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Something new there, Samuel.. Intriguing.. But I must say you $crewed up real good - - - what you gonna work out tomorrow !? You're gonna be sore as a daaaawg ! LOL . .

.. personally I was hoping for an all-Flat DB Press Chest workout log of your :icon_lol:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Volcom, my winged helmut is off to you for that workout bro. That was totally fukkin' nuts dude! You are a warrior indeed sir. But I agree that you should only do those occasionally. That sh*t will kill your CNS very quickly. I imagine burn-out and overtraining would ensue quickly with such training. But every once in a while to shock your body and to test your intestinal fortitude would be okay. Well played my good man!! :duel::head:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Volcom, my winged helmut is off to you for that workout bro...
LOL, you crack me up TG!

Good advice tho. A natty athlete running that kind of workout for an extended period is def. risking running his CNS into the ground..