Volcom's, Controlled Labs' - Look good in dem BLUE GENE(s), Sponsored Log

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:food: resolution is still off but I can see it now. Ive been craving yams lately. Looks yumtastic!

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
That shade of purple is crazy. I'd almost be scared to eat it! LOL.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That shade of purple is crazy. I'd almost be scared to eat it! LOL.
The color is so vivid, it doesn't look natural does it??:fool2:

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
The color is so vivid, it doesn't look natural does it??:fool2:
My mother is a pack rat. In every sense of the word possible. There are things in her fridge that have been there for six months, probably longer. Growing up, I learned at an early age that anything in the fridge that color that wasn't grape soda should not be ingested under any circumstance. :hammer: LOL.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, bro! I've been reading logs straight through all day long. I will definitely give it a read!! :thumbsup:
Please do, you will be able to identify with 90% of what I went through I'm sure, and I had a successful journey, which I hope will inspire and motivate you.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to my Primary Physician today who accused me of being on Steroids. I guess that's kind of cool.

I was sitting in his office and I noticed he took a double take at my arms. Then he looks at me, "you look much bigger then the last time I saw you.... are you taking steroids? You know steroids are very dangerous and you shouldn't be messing with that stuff."

I said, "no, I was eating more and I think I'm 14lbs heavier since you last saw me."

and he says, "so you're just working out? really? Because you are noticeably bigger since the last time I saw you, are you sure you're not on steroids?"

I sort of chuckled and he kept this very serious face, so it got awkward, but then we moved on.

Current vitals
BP 130/78, 20/20 vision, 214lbs.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Always nice being accused of running gear when you're not on anything. Definitely should be taken as a compliment! :D

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good Workout

Today was an outstanding workout. I worked out at the school gym, so I can't really use numbers to judge changes in strength, as the equipment is different at school then my local gym. However, I definitely felt stronger and I experienced that intense Stim like focus again. I don't know if its the temperature ir if I was the only one hitting it hard or if its a symptom of the Blue GENE, but I was by far the most drenched mofo in that place. My shirt was drenched from around my neck down to about my belly button. I don't think I even sweated like this when I was on Recreate. I'm sure it was a combination of a lot of things, either way, I was by far the most Rambo'ist dude there today.

Back

Free Weight Loaded Lat Pull Down - Close, Underhand Grip
(this machine is really unique, it's so bad@$$)
195lbs x 12 reps
205lbs x 8 reps
205lbs x 8 reps
195lbs x 10 reps

Free Weight Loaded, Seated Upright Rows, bilaterally
180lbs x 10 reps
190lbs x 7 reps
180lbs x 8 reps
180lbs x 8 reps

Free Weight Loaded Lat Pull Down - Wide Grip
90lbs x 10 reps
110lbs x 8 reps
110lbs x 8 reps
90lbs x 10 reps

Cable, V-Grip Straight Arm Pull Downs
100lbs x 10 reps
110lbs x 8 reps
120lbs x 9 reps
110lbs x 7 reps

Seated Cable Rows
225lbs x 8 reps (low back wasn't liking it)
185lbs x 10 reps
185lbs x 8 reps

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very nice!! Can you explain Cable, V-Grip Straight Arm Pull Downs?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I walk with a limp cause mah nutz are HEAVEE!
I know Im late with the joke, but:

Lady: Butcher, do you have bull's testicles?

Butcher: No Ma'am, it's just the way my trousers hang.

Keep up the good work Rambo!

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very nice!! Can you explain Cable, V-Grip Straight Arm Pull Downs?
You can use the V-grip or a regular barbell, even a rope. You stand in front of the cable, step back and lean forward slightly, and you mimic the motion of a tricep extension almost, except your elbows are locked out the entire time. You maintain a straight arm up pulling the bar down and back up, this targets your lats, it mimics a swimming breast stroke, or paddling out on a surf board.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Extra Credit

Late night, end of the day Shrugs, to complete and fully wrap up the back workout I performed earlier.

Barbell Shrugs
135lbs x 20 reps
225lbs x 20 reps
245lbs x 20 reps
275lbs x 15 reps
295lbs x 15 reps
315lbs x 12 reps
335lbs x 12 reps
365lbs x 10 reps
385lbs x 8 reps
365lbs x 8 reps
335lbs x 8 reps
315lbs x 10 reps

and that wraps up the day...or.. late night.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killer trap w/o!

You can use the V-grip or a regular barbell, even a rope. You stand in front of the cable, step back and lean forward slightly, and you mimic the motion of a tricep extension almost, except your elbows are locked out the entire time. You maintain a straight arm up pulling the bar down and back up, this targets your lats, it mimics a swimming breast stroke, or paddling out on a surf board.
I will be doing these next back w/o :D

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established

I have a question for you :)

I use stuff like this sometimes to find out what people think and how they react to situations. As a trainer, I want to know all things about all people. I assume you're the same way :)

Question being...with that motion imitating a breast stroke, or motions from surfing....if you had the option...would you instead be swimming or surfing to use the natural motions that work that muscle or would you still stick to your lifting routine to imitate the same motions?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a question for you :)

I use stuff like this sometimes to find out what people think and how they react to situations. As a trainer, I want to know all things about all people. I assume you're the same way :)

Question being...with that motion imitating a breast stroke, or motions from surfing....if you had the option...would you instead be swimming or surfing to use the natural motions that work that muscle or would you still stick to your lifting routine to imitate the same motions?
Swimming does serve a very functional way of exercising this portion of the lats, however, swimming lacks the resistance to stimulate the muscle enough to maximally hypertrophy (as effective as weights), and this would be even more true with veteran swimmers or surfers, where their lats have long adapted to their activity. Swimming will cause hypertrophy in the lats, but the threshold for growth is very limited. It'd be like doing lat pull downs with 80lbs, forever, the weight (or water resistance) never changes, it'll only get easier and easier, and demand less and less from the working muscle. Muscle won't respond with growth to a declining demand, only an increasing demand.

Even if we're talking sprint swimming, the amount of strokes it requires to get to the other side is still in the muscle contraction volume closer to endurance, and it'd be liken to pulling the 80lbs on the lat pull down faster, perhaps a bit more intense, but the lack of increasing resistance will cause a "growth" stalemate rather quickly. Your body is constantly adapting and striving to do whatever it's doing, "better", so pretty soon pulling that 80lbs will become lighter, first through some hypertrophy, but then it'll soon all be neural. You're not bigger and stronger, you're body simply becomes more and more proficient at it, and to the body, proficiency equates to the necessity of less and less effort exerted to achieve the same action.

Michael Phelps actually resistance trains his lats quite extensively, so those broad eagle span lats of his aren't an exclusive result of pool work.

If I were a guy who just wants to be healthy & functionally fit, I'd choose the pool or surf, because you're exercising more muscles then just your lats, burning way more calories, muscle coordination... its all good, but if my goal is to hypertrophy the lats, resistance training is far, far superior.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nicely said broheim!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's taken awhile for the Blue GENE to kick in for me, but even Junglewarfare took about 10 days for it to show any positive effects for me.

The coupling of the strength boost along side the increased endurance is becoming more prevalent. If this trend continues, and I hope it does, I may have to pick up a second bottle and keep going on my own accord after my official 30 days are up.

Just like I predicted, the foreign angles of the back equipment at my school (which I worked out at last night) has my lats in DOMS City, USA.

I love it :thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Shaddow,

I saw those pics you posted up in your log and read about your physical debilitations. I hope you get a chance to browse through the Rehab log I posted up, because I went through a lot of the same thing, and that same motivation to simply make due and work with whatever I can at the moment. Take care, bud.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It's taken awhile for the Blue GENE to kick in for me, but even Junglewarfare took about 10 days for it to show any positive effects for me.

The coupling of the strength boost along side the increased endurance is becoming more prevalent. If this trend continues, and I hope it does, I may have to pick up a second bottle and keep going on my own accord after my official 30 days are up.

Just like I predicted, the foreign angles of the back equipment at my school (which I worked out at last night) has my lats in DOM City, USA.

I love it :thumbsup:

This is great to hear. I immediately thought of you when the product came out, and thought if anyone can put it to the test, it would Volcom :thumbsup: I'm seeing some great things in the gym happen to me @ Day 9 myself. I totally understand what you mean by the energy/focus now. I gave my buddy a dose to try the other day, and he had lots of energy for the whole night ... I said to him "Damn, your pretty amped tonight huh..." then it hit me the next day that the only thing different he did was take the Blue Gene. Keep up the great work bud.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is great to hear. I immediately thought of you when the product came out, and thought if anyone can put it to the test, it would Volcom :thumbsup: I'm seeing some great things in the gym happen to me @ Day 9 myself. I totally understand what you mean by the energy/focus now. I gave my buddy a dose to try the other day, and he had lots of energy for the whole night ... I said to him "Damn, your pretty amped tonight huh..." then it hit me the next day that the only thing different he did was take the Blue Gene. Keep up the great work bud.
Thanks,

I'd also like to mention, the libido boost is undeniable. It's not like a background symptom, my randy'ness is consistently higher then normal all the time (a generic symptom of increased test). Also, the degree of randy'ness also seems to have a positive effect on an over-all sense of well being. I could see why you guys had an age limit for this log, if I were 16 on this stuff, I'd have scabs.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
If I were a guy who just wants to be healthy & functionally fit, I'd choose the pool or surf, because you're exercising more muscles then just your lats, burning way more calories, muscle coordination... its all good, but if my goal is to hypertrophy the lats, resistance training is far, far superior.
That was exactly what I was waiting to hear ;)

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What day are you on for blue gene?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So would you say that this stuff is comparable to Drive with more of a stim-like effect?

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Hey Shaddow,

I saw those pics you posted up in your log and read about your physical debilitations. I hope you get a chance to browse through the Rehab log I posted up, because I went through a lot of the same thing, and that same motivation to simply make due and work with whatever I can at the moment. Take care, bud.
Yeah man, I've got it bookmarked and open in Firefox on my home computer. I wanted to read it straight through and that's impossible to do here at work, so I'm holding off until I get home this evening. DEFINITELY still planning to read it through. Thanks again for linking me, bro!

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are making me want to do more high-volume training.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Thanks,

I'd also like to mention, the libido boost is undeniable. It's not like a background symptom, my randy'ness is consistently higher then normal all the time (a generic symptom of increased test). Also, the degree of randy'ness also seems to have a positive effect on an over-all sense of well being. I could see why you guys had an age limit for this log, if I were 16 on this stuff, I'd have scabs.
hahaha i read this as "crabs" not "scabs" and it made no sense. tho crabs could also be a definite possibilty for a 16 year old being permiscuous in southern california.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, Blue GENE on the rise

Today's chest workout was outstanding. My strength is definitely back on the rise and I out performed my normally stronger workout partner, Zack. I would say I outperformed in both strength and endurance by 35%. The Strength increase is kicking in, in a surprisingly strong fashion.

CHEST

Flat Bench, Free
225lbs x 10 reps
245lbs x 10 reps
275lbs x 8 reps
225lbs x 10 reps

Incline Bench, Free
185lbs x 8 reps
185lbs x 8 reps
185lbs x 8 reps

Incline Bench, Smith
185lbs x 10 reps
195lbs x 10 reps
205lbs x 8 reps
195lbs x 10 reps
185lbs x 10 reps

Body weight (214lbs) Dips
BW x 15 reps
BW x 12 reps
BW x 10 reps

Pec Flies
190lbs x 12 reps
190lbs x 10 reps
190lbs x 10 reps

and I was toast. I'd like to mention that my healthy workout today (finally!) had nothing to do with proper sleep or diet, (sad thing to admit). I was tired as all get out, today was a 6am start and I fell asleep in the lobby, on the couch at work by accident for 25 min. This will give you a clue of how exhausted I was, and my appetite is still that of a 16 year old girl who lives by the beach around her rich and skinny friends but she's not rich or skinny so she tries really hard to get thin and cute so she only eats little itty biddy salads but still manages to put on weight cause she uses too much dressing, yeah... like that, no appetite. My lunch was pathetic. All this to say, the only explanation for my workout not only being salvaged, but quite satisfying in fact, must be my Blue GENES. :dance:

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
This will give you a clue of how exhausted I was, and my appetite is still that of a 16 year old girl who lives by the beach around her rich and skinny friends but she's not rich or skinny so she tries really hard to get thin and cute so she only eats little itty biddy salads but still manages to put on weight cause she uses too much dressing, yeah... like that, no appetite.
ROFLMAO!

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Gotta love that man... All these fools going for the "FAT FREE" dressing - but don't care that it has 30 grams of sugar per serving...

Most salads I see people eat are absolute BS... Bacon, avacodo, blue cheese, egg, couple pieces of meat, few carrot shreads, cashews...

Gonna lose weight on a 1200 calorie salad 3 times a day huh?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom I noticed youve been drop setting a lot lately. Mind explaining why?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom I noticed youve been drop setting a lot lately. Mind explaining why?
well when your lifting for strength purposes, trying to up those weight numbers, performance is key. The premise is to hit heavy numbers, so your body makes the appropriate neuromuscular adaptions to achieve those excessively heavier weigths, but to achieve those high numbers, you can't be bogged down with extensive sets or fatigue will diminish strength performance. A solid progressive 3 set pyramid for the purpose of maximizing strength performance, while minimizing muscle fatigue is a solid way to go.

However, when hypertrophy is the prime goal, I use the word prime because there is no exclusive response to weight training, then volume in repetitions (to an extent and at an appropriate weight) carries greater efficacy then volume in weight. All resistance training excites all adaptive muscle responses; Power, Strength, Hypertrophy, Endurance, any time you lift, all four adaptions will be excited to some degree, however, the specific manner in which you lift; frequency, volume, intensity, rest time will simply PRIORITIZE a particular response.

here is a hierarchy of muscle adaptions to make it simple to understand:

POWER
STRENGTH
HYPERTROPHY
ENDURANCE

If you power lift, the most minimal adaption you'll make is endurance, though some muscle endurance adaptions occur. If you lift uber high volume at light-moderate weight, emphasizing endurance, then power will be the most minimal adaption you'll make, though some power adaptions will occur.

How you lift will place you somewhere in that spectrum, where you are making "OPTIMAL" adaptions in that specific facet, but never an exclusive response. Lifting for strength will obviously elicit a prime response in strength, secondary in power, secondary in hypertrophy and tertiary response in endurance. Lifting for hypertrophy will have a prime response in muscle growth, secondary response in strength and endurance and a tertiary response in power.

Back to the question at hand, so when I pyramid up through my sets, I remain in a hypertrophy prioritizing environment. However, I usually take it to the strength/hypertrophy edge by my final set, and if I were to repeat that same final & heaviest set, chances are my repetitions are going to dip beneath an "optimal" hypertrophic zone, therefore, I drop down one, two or to the beginning set, because all my sets in terms of weight x repetitions are still in a hypertrophy inducing margin. This way, I simply extend the exercise I find particularly effective, such as an Incline Smith, where my stabilizers have long been exhausted by the free weights, but my actual muscle fibers are still plenty fresh.

Last edited:
VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obscene Chest and Back DOMSicles. My upper torso is a mess from front to back :dance:

Today may or may not be a rest day. My Bi's are still sore, but workable. I have an appetite for shoulders tonight, I would love to have the energy to make that happen.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Domsicles :toofunny:

Hellllll of an explanation man! Sh1t! :clap2: Hit up dem shoulders dawgy!:dance:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That was an awesome fukkin' response, wasn't it??!!! :eek: Volcom is da smartest kid in school. And a big man on campus!! :bb3:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
volcom is a domsicle animal!
which makes him a domsimal.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was an awesome fukkin' response, wasn't it??!!! :eek: Volcom is da smartest kid in school. And a big man on campus!! :bb3:
Thanks thunder,

But I wouldn't say "smartest," maybe one of the nerdiest? There are too many knowledgeable people at AM to be called the smartest, but I appreciate the confidence!!! :cheers: