• Established
What's for lunch today, Volcom? :hot::pizza::burg:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know yet, but hot dogs, pizza and burgers would be fricken awesome.

Yesterday I had a super exotic lunch, an Oyster Pancake, I love that stuff. Jelly Fish, Scrambled Eggs, Oysters, Bock Choi made into a pancake and some sort of red, warm seafood sauce (Edit: and Cilantro) over it.

When the Firm pays for lunch and I have the option to choose, I'll run out and grab sexy food, but when we have to get our own lunch, then I get a turkey sandwich.

Last edited:
shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
That is the most "interesting" sounding pancake I have ever heard of, man. :)

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like me some Bok Choi :food:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's for lunch today, Volcom? :hot::pizza::burg:
It's official. Oyster Pancake and (4 inch) Squid.

The Squid is interesting, because generally, when prepared in western style (if there is such a thing), its cut in half or its served in a baby squid form (with no spine). This sort of big squid, you first have to pull the legs, eat it, then when you pop the body in your mouth, you have to pull the spine out like a string.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established

The Squid is interesting, because generally, when prepared in western style (if there is such a thing), its cut in half or its served in a baby squid form (with no spine). This sort of big squid, you first have to pull the legs, eat it, then when you pop the body in your mouth, you have to pull the spine out like a string.
I always pull the spine out first on the large squid, just never thought about preparing it without cleaning. But I often prepare over a grill after having dehydrated/drying out. Just as a sort of crispy snack or we might slow cook for a more chewy experience :p

Love the texture of squid in a stir fry, too. We made lemongrass fish cakes this past weekend, and I decided to add chopped squid for texture and cooked it on a skillet over an open flame. The smokiness of a wood/coal grill really makes anything taste better imo, but the added squid was a treat.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
wow, you guys just made me realize i'm quite sheltered when it comes to ethnic foods.
i'm ashamed to say i thought a california rolls were cool.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established

That sounds crazy. I've never had straight up squid - only as calamari or diced as part of a medley. Hell, I didn't even know they had a spine. Guess I always thought they were invertebrates.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
wow, you guys just made me realize i'm quite sheltered when it comes to ethnic foods.
i'm ashamed to say i thought a california rolls were cool.
Nothing wrong with California rolls, man!

I always love the food talk in this thread cuz it really opens my eyes to a lot of different things. I like to think I've sampled many different foods from many different cultures, but Volcom does a good job of keeping me in check. :cheers:

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
That sounds crazy. I've never had straight up squid - only as calamari or diced as part of a medley. Hell, I didn't even know they had a spine. Guess I always thought they were invertebrates.
It's just a little clear strip right down the center of the torso. I didn't know they had one either til I first saw my wife prepare one. We take turns cooking, so I get a good amount of practice cooking. I never really learned to cook american food. Spaghetti, chili, and the grill is about it for me in that genre.

And... da*n, I'm craving sweets so bad I read "california rolls" as cinnamon rolls... mmmmmmm, cinnamon rolls... sh*t.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm down with the sushi.

When I was a little kid in Taiwan, much like the venders may sell hot dogs or something on the boardwalk, they sold BBQ octopus on a stick, like a Kabob, I've yet to have octopus taste AND SMELL, that good to this day. Interestingly enough, that Oyster Pancake I mentioned that sounded so exotic, is also a sidewalk pushcart dish they cook up on a little pain. It's a 3-5 min dish really and apparently easy to prepare.

Oyster Pancake
- Fried Egg
- Jellyfish
- Oyster
- Bok Choi
- Chinese Green Onion
- Some sweet & tangy Chinese sauce (without the sauce the dish may taste suspicious, but with the sauce it all falls together. Everything blends together well in a bite, almost like a bite of sushi, its the bite in its entirety that makes it good, you cant nibble). Oyster in of itself is really strong and over-powering, but in the Pancake, its just strong enough and the jelly fish gives this dish a texture unlike anything western, so i can't compare it to anything and jelly fish is very bland in flavor in of itself, but it goes perfect with the sauce and everything else.
- Cilantro (varies)

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Man that sounds awesome. I've never had jellyfish, and probably won't... well as long as I'm in Tennessee anyways

>.<

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
I have been stung by too many jellyfish to want to eat one. the texture is what gets me. I guess it is kinda like the texture of raw oysters and I love those but I am a little sketched about eating a jelly fish.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been stung by too many jellyfish to want to eat one. the texture is what gets me. I guess it is kinda like the texture of raw oysters and I love those but I am a little sketched about eating a jelly fish.
consider it as revenge.

"You sting me, I eat your brother" :saw:

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm down with the sushi.

When I was a little kid in Taiwan, much like the venders may sell hot dogs or something on the boardwalk, they sold BBQ octopus on a stick, like a Kabob, I've yet to have octopus taste AND SMELL, that good to this day. Interestingly enough, that Oyster Pancake I mentioned that sounded so exotic, is also a sidewalk pushcart dish they cook up on a little pain. It's a 3-5 min dish really and apparently easy to prepare.

Oyster Pancake
- Fried Egg
- Jellyfish
- Oyster
- Bok Choi
- Chinese Green Onion
- Some sweet & tangy Chinese sauce (without the sauce the dish may taste suspicious, but with the sauce it all falls together. Everything blends together well in a bite, almost like a bite of sushi, its the bite in its entirety that makes it good, you cant nibble). Oyster in of itself is really strong and over-powering, but in the Pancake, its just strong enough and the jelly fish gives this dish a texture unlike anything western, so i can't compare it to anything and jelly fish is very bland in flavor in of itself, but it goes perfect with the sauce and everything else.
- Cilantro (varies)
I think I'm gonne be sick!

Volcom is a crazy mofo...:fool2:

I'm gonna go get me some chocolate meat:)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think I'm gonne be sick!

Volcom is a crazy mofo...:fool2:

I'm gonna go get me some chocolate meat:)
On that note of chocolate meat. I was watching the FOOD NETWORK, where the show at the time was about providing fine dinning foods in a mass catering situation.

One of the foods were Chocolate Covered Bacon, and apparently, that was the bell of the ball. EVERYBODY was hesitant to try it, but it was a smash of a hit.

The bacon was skillet cooked, then cooled, then put on a moving track where chocolate was dripped down onto, much like how mass chocolate donuts are prepared. The chocolate then cools around the bacon and it looks like a very, very thin, flat chocolate bar, only the center is not gooey caramel, but good'ol American bacon.

I was so down to try that! :food:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, Blue GENE is really, REALLY Kick'n in

My muscle endurance has reached another peak, along with my general stamina, focus and strength. I believed I have officially made up my mind to carry on this BG run beyond my official 30 days. The Blue GENE effects were slow to take off, but now that the flood gates have really begun to open, I feel like I'm on a Pro-Hormone (along the lines of Junglewarfare and 3-AD), but without the lethargy.

Bi's

45 seconds rest between sets from beginning to end.

Hammer Preacher Curls
50lbs x 20 reps
55lbs x 20 reps
60lbs x 15 reps
65lbs x 15 reps
70lbs x 12 reps
75lbs x 12 reps
80lbs x 10 reps
85lbs x 10 reps
90lbs x 8 reps
85lbs x 8 reps
80lbs x 8 reps
75lbs x 10 reps
70lbs x 10 reps
65lbs x 10 reps
60lbs x 10 reps
55lbs x 12 reps
50lbs x 15 reps

Preacher Curls, Vertical Side
50lbs x 15 reps
60lbs x 12 reps
70lbs x 10 reps
80lbs x 8 reps
70lbs x 8 reps
60lbs x 8 reps
50lbs x 15 reps

Preacher Reverse Curls
50lbs x 15 reps
55lbs x 12 reps
60lbs x 10 reps
65lbs x 8 reps
60lbs x 8 reps
55lbs x 10 reps
50lbs x 12 reps

Cable High Curls
80lbs x 15 reps
90lbs x 12 reps
100lbs x 8 reps

Note: At the beginning of the exercise my bi's were burning to utter hell, but once the blood flow kicked in, around sets 4 or 5, there was no more burn at all. Again, I believe the circulation and increased oxygenation effects simulated a Beta Alanine effect.

Good workout, I believe I finished around 45 min, it was all business today, no talking to anyway or extended resting, just bam, bam, bam.

I believe I'll go back for a second workout with my partner, Zack for some shoulders tonight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe next time I do bi's, I'll need to start on a heavier weight, or increase by greater increments. I'm okay with upward of 6 sets in general per exercise, maybe 8 for the opening exercise, but this last workout was ridiculous.

Volume isn't effective for sheer volume sake, I don't want to perpetuate that image or ideal, the intensity has to be at an appropriate setting in conjunction. I did not intend on doing THIS much, but the strength was there, the reps were well within range and the muscle endurance was in a good range. Each set was challenging at the appropriate and expected level, but as I increased in weight, I continued to perform beyond my expectations.

I suppose next time, I'll have a better idea of where my "current" biceps strength lies.

I honestly thought and intended to be burned out by the end of the preacher curls, but not only did I have the motivation, but the physical ability to continue. This Blue GENE has really taken a snow ball effect.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
On that note of chocolate meat. I was watching the FOOD NETWORK, where the show at the time was about providing fine dinning foods in a mass catering situation.

One of the foods were Chocolate Covered Bacon, and apparently, that was the bell of the ball. EVERYBODY was hesitant to try it, but it was a smash of a hit.

The bacon was skillet cooked, then cooled, then put on a moving track where chocolate was dripped down onto, much like how mass chocolate donuts are prepared. The chocolate then cools around the bacon and it looks like a very, very thin, flat chocolate bar, only the center is not gooey caramel, but good'ol American bacon.

I was so down to try that! :food:
I saw that episode of dinner impossible... They put almonds on top too I think.. I would love to try it (only one though!)...

One of my favorite food network shows.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Jesus. That amount of reps is rediculous!! My arms would be a puddle right now.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Jesus. That amount of reps is rediculous!! My arms would be a puddle right now.
Hahaha, I agree ! Had I been doing that routine with my current stack, my arms would f'in blow !! LOL

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know, that kind of volume is ridiculous, I like 4-6 set exercises, but something was just there tonight. It wasn't my original intention to get so buck wild.

I'm off to meet my workout partner for Delts. I've got this small headache in the occipital area, but I think once I get chugg'n it'll diminish to a tolerable degree.

See you guys in a few.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw that episode of dinner impossible... They put almonds on top too I think.. I would love to try it (only one though!)...

One of my favorite food network shows.
Yeah, Dinner Impossible was the show. I'd only try ONE also, but man was it a curious dish.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Second Workout, much less of a circus

DELTS

Seated Military Press
135lbs x 12 reps
155lbs x 10 reps
175lbs x 8 reps
155lbs x 8 reps
135lbs x 10 reps

Hammer Shoulder Press
140lbs x 12 reps
160lbs x 12 reps
180lbs x 8 reps
160lbs x 8 reps
140lbs x 10 reps

Cable Upright Rows
80lbs x 15 reps
100lbs x 12 reps
120lbs x 12 reps
140lbs x 10 reps
160lbs x 8 reps
140lbs x 10 reps
120lbs x 10 reps
100lbs x 12 reps

Db Shrugs
120lbs Db's x 15 reps
120lbs Db's x 12 reps
120lbs Db's x 10 reps
120lbs Db's x 8 reps

Blue GENE seems to activate and wake you right back up once your blood gets moving.

My workout partner ended up canceling on me because he's training at a new MMA gym instead, but I decided to go anyway. I was pretty exhausted from my previous workout so I didn't know what to expect. However, I felt 100% once I got going and I feel fine now.

Blue GENE is becoming more and more interesting as I continue to experience it in different aspects and situations.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Are you just calling your shoulder workout "delts"?

I see you're hitting traps pretty hard too.

Do you have another part of the split where you hit the front of your shoulders? (sorry - I don't have the proper med school lingo)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you just calling your shoulder workout "delts"?

I see you're hitting traps pretty hard too.

Do you have another part of the split where you hit the front of your shoulders? (sorry - I don't have the proper med school lingo)
Yes, if its a full blown shoulders day, then I'll hit the shoulders in a more complete way, anterior, medial, posterior, but since this was my second workout, I hit the medial heads mostly and did some shrugs.

I have a date tomorrow night so I won't be working out, that's why I really wanted to get a second one in tonight.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
jesus christ man. this is kind of inspiring me to try one some blue genes myself. i can see this being just as beneficial on a cut/recomp style diet to maintain strength and muscle mass.

is libido still around that of austin powers?

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hellacios workouts bro!!! Funny you did cable upright rows today - today I was doing shoulders and I pondered if anyone ever does cable upright rows. But then I picked up some free weights and forgot about it. I will try this next time

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hellacios workouts bro!!! Funny you did cable upright rows today - today I was doing shoulders and I pondered if anyone ever does cable upright rows. But then I picked up some free weights and forgot about it. I will try this next time
lol. I prefer cable rows when I have the equipment, as there's constant tension on your shoulders, rather than with a barbell which releases tension at the bottom of the movement. It makes a big difference! :dance:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man that sounds awesome. I've never had jellyfish, and probably won't... well as long as I'm in Tennessee anyways

>.<
Tennessee is where I'm from and where I'm at. And I haven't heard of 90% of the grub you guys are talking about. My diet would sound extremely boring to you exotic feasters!! :lol: I'm just a steak and eggs kinda guy!! :food::twisted:

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I always pull the spine out first on the large squid, just never thought about preparing it without cleaning. But I often prepare over a grill after having dehydrated/drying out. Just as a sort of crispy snack or we might slow cook for a more chewy experience :p

Love the texture of squid in a stir fry, too. We made lemongrass fish cakes this past weekend, and I decided to add chopped squid for texture and cooked it on a skillet over an open flame. The smokiness of a wood/coal grill really makes anything taste better imo, but the added squid was a treat.
Ahh, another Junior Chef badge to hand out I see.. nice!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tennessee is where I'm from and where I'm at. And I haven't heard of 90% of the grub you guys are talking about. My diet would sound extremely boring to you exotic feasters!! :lol: I'm just a steak and eggs kinda guy!! :food::twisted:
Steak and Eggs are one of my personal favorites. I had that for dinner last night actually.

My favorite food is Steak. If its thin, I like it rare, if its thick, then medium rare, I love steak! I love meat and eggs in general, whether it be ribs and eggs (which I like to do), ham & eggs.

Do you guys remember an old movie called, "TWISTER" with Dennis Quade and Jody Foster? There was a scene where Dennis Quade visits his aunts house in the mid-west somewhere and she cooks Dennis and his tornado chasing crew some mean steak and eggs. Ever since that scene, I've been obsessed with Steak and Eggs because it looked so damn good on the big screen!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
jesus christ man. this is kind of inspiring me to try one some blue genes myself. i can see this being just as beneficial on a cut/recomp style diet to maintain strength and muscle mass.

is libido still around that of austin powers?

My libido is outrageous, and I get so Randy that it seems to perpetuate a general sense of well being.

Caution: Blue Gene may cause Blue Balls.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I think maybe you meant to sub Jodie Foster for Helen Hunt? haha

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Family Guy

Peter: That's a way better offer than that one I got from Helen Hunt.

*Flashback*

Helen Hunt: Hey, you want to have sex?

Peter: Nooooo thank you.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exotic Food Update

I had Taiwanese Watermelon yesterday, and I realized that many, if not most of you have never heard or seen a Taiwanese Watermelon. The fruit is Yellow, instead of Red. It's a little racist of mother nature for making an Asian Watermelon yellow, but whatever, hehe, I'm just kidding.

I'm sure the first question you have is, does the yellow watermelon taste like the red? Yes and No, they taste similar, but not the same. I guess it'd be like comparing Oranges and Mandarin Oranges, similar citrus/orange'yness, but not quite the same.

Which do I prefer? Well, I believe American agriculture is more advanced then Taiwanese agriculture, so I get a sweeter American Watermelon on a more consistent basis. If the two had the exact same sweetness, it would come down to a matter of preference that day. Both are great, but the yellow has a "this is cool" factor, because it's extraordinary, so that could effect my opinion.

Either way, I love watermelon.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bahaha.

Have you ever had a Black Watermelon? - They are around $20k a piece.