The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You say at least 50g fat but on the ripped body site for helping with macros it says fat between 20-40 on training days and double on rest days for example i follow 30g wo days and 60 off days
And that's just one dudes opinion/interpretation on fat intake.

Also doesn't he only count direct sources?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Third week of lean gains. Its amazing. I have never experienced consistent weight loss like this. Its practically automatic. I think i am eating more now...

After the second week the hunger went away during the fast and i have been pushing my fasted periods closer to 20 hours on non weight days. Going for a cheat day on saturday, in my window... So glad i found this thread.

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
Been doing a bit of reading up on IF and have a question that i hope you fellas can answer. My problem is that I do Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) work, this where I work 8 days away from home then have 6 days at home. When at work I wake up at 4:30am and start work at about 5am and finish work at 5:30 - 6pm and then train. When I am home I train around 8am. How can i structure my fasting, when i train at different times during my time on and time off from work, and want to get a meal in after I train when at work. Or should I just fast until about 11am every day and have my last meal at 7:30pm and when at work train even though i have finished fasting for the day, and when home train in a fasted state.

Sorry for the long question, and thanks for any tips/advice

Trav

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been doing a bit of reading up on IF and have a question that i hope you fellas can answer. My problem is that I do Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) work, this where I work 8 days away from home then have 6 days at home. When at work I wake up at 4:30am and start work at about 5am and finish work at 5:30 - 6pm and then train. When I am home I train around 8am. How can i structure my fasting, when i train at different times during my time on and time off from work, and want to get a meal in after I train when at work. Or should I just fast until about 11am every day and have my last meal at 7:30pm and when at work train even though i have finished fasting for the day, and when home train in a fasted state.

Sorry for the long question, and thanks for any tips/advice

Trav
I guess my big question is why can't you train at 6pm when you are home and regularize the schedule? from a circadian rhythm perspective, I'd think that would be better.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
That's a good way to spin your wheels, quite honestly.

I'm fairly ADD with things, and like to experiment on myself but when something is working and more importantly you can say things like "I love it" you are likely better off just staying the course. If anything small changes.

If it ain't broke. Yadda yadda.

Got ya. Well good luck. I think you'll be back lol.
You were right lol I'm back to lean gains, i just feel better with the more consistant feed times, recovery is better as well

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You were right lol I'm back to lean gains, i just feel better with the more consistant feed times, recovery is better as well

It seems most people that did lean gains correctly will end up returning to it, after trying somethinbg else for a while for a reason. It works!!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who would like to help me? Lol i read the entire first page and second and still need some clarification.

I wake up at 7am ed, go to bed around 1030pm
Workout consists of two days on one day off repeat.
Workout usually at 3pm, but i suppose i could move it to 8am due to obligations now (job)

So i wake up.. 7am -drink 10g bcaas +pre workout
9am 10g bcaas
11 am 10g bcaas
Noon- protein shake + 50% RDI
3pm - 30% RDI
6pm- 20% RDI

? im lost .. and could you list some caloricly dense foods.. i know most meats, can i eat home made subs and things of that sort? I want to do IF/Lean gains correctly.

Thanks guys

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A lot of people eat whatever the hell they want as long as it fits their macros with lean gains and get great results. Just hit you're macros. IMO unless you are competing you don't need to over complicate IF.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A lot of people eat whatever the hell they want as long as it fits their macros with lean gains and get great results. Just hit you're macros. IMO unless you are competing you don't need to over complicate IF.
Thanks.

Bumpity for more help

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Continuing working out at 3 would be nice, first meal at noon still. Don't feel like those percentages ate very critical. Like with most tiny details, keeping to some precise macro or calorie percentage per meal split might make a half a pound a year difference, but it's not a major difference.

The general idea behind IF gives you enhanced gh production and better insulin sensitivity regardless of the timing and even content of meals in the eat window

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pump bump for more help..

What about the days i dont work out? Still fast for 16hrs and eat 3 big meals? Sip on bcaas until i "break the fast?"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Calories lower on days you don't work out. The bcaa isn't very critical either workout or off days

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calories lower on days you don't work out. The bcaa isn't very critical either workout or off days
So basically as long as i fast for 16hrs and eat in my 8 hour window im doing it right? Lower kcals on "off" days.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yep yep! i like to extend my fast longer esp on off days which allows or even bigger meals!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yep yep! i like to extend my fast longer esp on off days which allows or even bigger meals!
Ya, or if I know my dinner is going to be complete ****, I will do this, or do a VERY small meal at noon. Like today.lol

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya, or if I know my dinner is going to be complete ****, I will do this, or do a VERY small meal at noon. Like today.lol
Yep yep....I'm going to indulge like a mofo tonight, so my first meal today is going to be some plain Greek yogurt and a small salad with 10oz of chopped chicken breast and fat free dressing and some whey protein.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
So basically as long as i fast for 16hrs and eat in my 8 hour window im doing it right? Lower kcals on "off" days.
If your trying to lose weight you can probably cycle down your carbs on your off days too... I have been doing this and it seems to work pretty well for me...

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Third week of lean gains. Its amazing. I have never experienced consistent weight loss like this. Its practically automatic. I think i am eating more now...

After the second week the hunger went away during the fast and i have been pushing my fasted periods closer to 20 hours on non weight days. Going for a cheat day on saturday, in my window... So glad i found this thread.
How much did you lose?

inda11

inda11

Awards
So is it three meals or just eat during your window until you consumed all ur macros for that day?

tjwoody

Awards
I will add my 2 cents.

I fast about 17 hours per day, up to 19 on weekends. My sat-sun or sun-mon fasting may be a bit off like say 12-14 hours.

I am working out about 530 am right now. I do take some intra bcaa and a post shake of more bcaa i am logging. i may then have a powerade zero or a diet soda to help with hunger while still getting 32-64 onces of water during workout and another 32-64 oz before first meal. i do around 1.5g per day including 32 in powerade zero.

My eating summary is below. I havent really been following the protocol of biggest meal and when. I just focus on daily totals and insure i get some carbs in the first meal after WO.

Wo days:
noon - eat about 1k cals
around 230 ill have a snack about 400-600 cals.
around 6pm ill eat about 1k cals. this meal is usually carb heavy cause i been doing some icecreams.

non workout days i try to eat about 400-600 cals less, sticking to same times but i do try to keep 125g or under carbs on non WO days where WO days ill do about 250g.

in the end its working well for me. I am losing a bit on high side of 2.5-3 lbs per week but still carrying low o fat. most importantly its allowing me much more freedom on weekends to go out with my son and hit up burger joints or whats not. i feel, and maybe it shouldnt be this, but this freedom has helped me further strengthen the bond with my son. IE: now that i can sit and have a burger and fries with him he doenst feel so like off, or uncomfortable i guess.

what amazes me is i can sit and eat up to 1400 cals at night where before it was like i trained my body that if i ate carbs like this and to late id always wake up lil heavier. once my body adjusted i have some of my biggest weight drops after a night of a carb heavy meal...100-150g for me.

appreciate all the helpful input in this thread.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
most importantly its allowing me much more freedom on weekends to go out with my son and hit up burger joints or whats not. i feel, and maybe it shouldnt be this, but this freedom has helped me further strengthen the bond with my son.
This is very, very important. And I touched on this a couple times in this thread as well as Rick's log. This sort of balance, is what more people should be striving for.

It is very easy to get wrapped up in "yourself" and everything becomes "me, me, me", while you neglect your friends and family. Something as simple as you eating that burger with him, on weekends will probably be a great memory for him as an adult.

tjwoody

Awards
This is very, very important. And I touched on this a couple times in this thread as well as Rick's log. This sort of balance, is what more people should be striving for.

It is very easy to get wrapped up in "yourself" and everything becomes "me, me, me", while you neglect your friends and family. Something as simple as you eating that burger with him, on weekends will probably be a great memory for him as an adult.
u bet!

on the other forum i try to mention this too but people seem to wrapped up in any science of the diet they simply miss the real important stuff in life.

my son loves it. he is so much happier now that hes getting into workout out with me. he did want to try fasting but im not to sure what good/bad it would be for a 14 YO so i am helping him eat more balanced but i did tell him to eat a lil lighter in lunches and Bfasts. we sit down each night, watch some tv and share a sundae we make. its awesome!

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
u bet!

on the other forum i try to mention this too but people seem to wrapped up in any science of the diet they simply miss the real important stuff in life.

my son loves it. he is so much happier now that hes getting into workout out with me. he did want to try fasting but im not to sure what good/bad it would be for a 14 YO so i am helping him eat more balanced but i did tell him to eat a lil lighter in lunches and Bfasts. we sit down each night, watch some tv and share a sundae we make. its awesome!
I would have to agree here... While I do not have a son, my experience is based off of failed relationships and my current marriage. Before IF I would always been an ASS about food. "hey where you wanna eat? I am thinking a good hamburger" me- "WHAT!? I can't eat that **** FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, we might as well just stay home so I can eat my chicken and broccoli!"

This just made relationships SUCK, I was the party pooper. Not any more!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, you have to make relationships + social life work. The only exception might be if you are an IFBB pro. Then at least the bodybuilding is among your primary revenue source, and the devotion to it has to be a job. But that is a tiny % of people, virtually nobody on this forum. Even of the small amount who compete or want to compete very few even consider trying to become a pro

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Ok here is my suduko puzzle.
I work 6 am to 6 pm for 4 days and then 4 days off.
I workout on work days when I get off work at 6 from anywhere from 1-2 and half hrs.

On my nonworking days. I workout either in am or around noon.

HOW would I time my meals and so on.

ALSO my gym is only open 24 hrs on mon- thurs. On the other days it close at 9 on friday and only open from 12 to 6 on sat and sun.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Very well said my man. The quality of life I have had with my family has been much improved ever since going on lean gains, and I no longer get the feeling that my personal goals and diet requirements are a burden to anyone in my family like I used to. I want my family to know that when we leave to do something together that they can enjoy themselves, and that I will be doing the same right along with them ;)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very well said my man. The quality of life I have had with my family has been much improved ever since going on lean gains, and I no longer get the feeling that my personal goals and diet requirements are a burden to anyone in my family like I used to. I want my family to know that when we leave to do something together that they can enjoy themselves, and that I will be doing the same right along with them ;)
Yah plenty of wiggle room, I often try to design my week to get some nice high cal meals in.. :)

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
I dont feel guilty eating pasta with family on sundays anymore, just get a big workout before hand, pop some need2slin and eat!!!!!

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Ok I have to ask what is one of the best more affordable BCAA supps you guys use.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Ok I have to ask what is one of the best more affordable BCAA supps you guys use.
Personally I buy amino acid products were the concentration of leucine is pretty high.
AminoX from BSN is nice.
Modern BCAA from USP is also very good.
Axcell from AX I also like- 4:1:1 ratio.. Taste good...
Best taste have BLOX from BPI Sports. Watermelon is amazing sooooooooooooooooo refreshing! :)
I think that Bodybuilidng.com supplements are pretty good- nice quality for good price.

tjwoody

Awards
if more people looked into what i feel is a strong plus with the social side of living and the diet perhaps less people would try picking the diet apart. the social pluses of the diet are really outweighing any of the science of fasting. if that makes any sense.

of course now my son wants me to take a 45 min commute each way for more sonic burgers! lol.

just to give another example i think i prev mentioned. last night we had fun making some sundaes and then chilling while we watch one of his shows. i hope with school starting soon for him (freshman in HS!), things like this help him overall. hes had issues with school work in the past. i can almost tie it into me not spending enough time with him cause frankly i was OCD about things.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the social pluses of the diet are really outweighing any of the science of fasting. if that makes any sense.
Funny. I've been saying that for about a year now. People may start the diet because "oh wow the Science is there" but almost unanimously you ask someone what is the best part about IF and it's the freedom.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Funny. I've been saying that for about a year now. People may start the diet because "oh wow the Science is there" but almost unanimously you ask someone what is the best part about IF and it's the freedom.
A fuggin Men :)

inda11

inda11

Awards
Basically I'm going on holiday on 23rd. Been doing lean gains for a while now and its been working. But i need to drop 2/3% bf in 14 days. I'm thinking of combing IF with keto. Any suggestions on this? And what kind of macros. I started IF at 86kg now I'm around 80kg at about 12% bf. Can see top 4 abs.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well i broke my fast with 30g waxy maize 30g protein 9oz chicken breast and 30 thin wheat crackers and 2 tbsp pb... 1108 kcals :D

Doin the traditional noon-8 oclock eating window, workout at 1045-noon.

Was the above ok? I still have 1600 cals until i reach maintanence...

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Its amazing how this eating lifestyle counters everything we have been told for 30 years.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
How's just sharing a little story..yesterday I broke a 23 he fast with 280pro/165 carb/ 95g fat that's about 2800 cals . And I was hungry 2 hours later

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How's just sharing a little story..yesterday I broke a 23 he fast with 280pro/165 carb/ 95g fat that's about 2800 cals . And I was hungry 2 hours later
Im hungry already and its been an hr and a half... i gotta get to the store.. i feel like ill be eating more than normal. This could get pricey

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
today I had about a pound of ny strip, tart cherry juice concentrate mixed with coconut water, a nectarine, two bananas and a pear, and i'm pondering taking a spoon to a jar of naturally more peanut butter right now

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Basically I'm going on holiday on 23rd. Been doing lean gains for a while now and its been working. But i need to drop 2/3% bf in 14 days. I'm thinking of combing IF with keto. Any suggestions on this? And what kind of macros. I started IF at 86kg now I'm around 80kg at about 12% bf. Can see top 4 abs.
Why u want to combine LG with keto?
I would do LG alone. Just stick to it- if it works why u want to change the schedule :]
U have nice results so far so keep up the good work!

inda11

inda11

Awards
Why u want to combine LG with keto?
I would do LG alone. Just stick to it- if it works why u want to change the schedule :]
U have nice results so far so keep up the good work!
I'm going on holiday so maybe combining the both could boost results quicker?