16/8 Plan from LeanGains; Any Opinion?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

1. I am trying the 16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating plan, as shown by leangains.com

In my experience, this is a practical plan, without drastic measures in other types.

I just like that it is not an entire day without eating, going without any carbs, or otherwise drastic measures that would also interfere with normal work and social life.

Additionally, as opposed to keto or other areas, cheating or making a mistake a little bit will not be very detrimental.

2. As the articles, say, I am always hungry. They predict hunger pains will go away during the early morning and late-night, after a week, but it is hard to tell.

Did you guys have any experience with this, too?

3. Is there any metabolic advantage?

a. I can just think of the thermic effect and metabolic effect.

For example, 8 hours of feeding with high protein, high starch foods would generate more energy and be harder to assimilate than 8 hours of sugars and saturated fats.

b. I can also think that psychologically and physically, it feels more satisfying to eat well, if only for 8 hours a day.

4. Of course, I do see the vital role exercise plays.

Resistance training in the middle of the "fed" time is ideal.

Long and slow, or otherwise light cardio is great for the morning and late evening "fasted" times.

5. Any other feedback or scientific references for this?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is just a way to eat less frequent meals which may not be beneficial for MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis)
The only advantage is if it does adhere to your schedule.
Besides that it's just another way to manipulate meals to your own satisfaction.
The only benefit would be if you can sustain this lifestyle

There would be less of a metabolic advantage because you are eating less frequently and may not manipulate MPS to its furthest degree. Sure you may feel more satisfied when eating, but some people can't handle larger surpluses of food. If you can great, but again that isn't relevant to the big picture. 24 hours of meeting your caloric allotment in whatever fashion reigns supreme. I would try to maximize MPS as much as I can to take any net advantage possible.

You would be better off spacing meals out and allowing protein levels to reach their refractory stages before being spiked again as shown in the MPS powerpoint by Layne Norton

The only mistakes one makes on their dietary protocol is if they don't follow their macros/calories and like you said go off and "Cheat" which shows you can't adhere to sustain the current diet setup you have.
Because you eat in a smaller window won't change that.

Martin has a lot of literature on his webpage. I just hate to see people who use IF. Train fasted and don't eat for hours because they have to allot their meals within a window. They kind of defeat the purpose of the whole philosophy (not saying you will). I just think you constantly post threads looking for validity on different programs, exercises, diet plans and not knowing what you truly want to do as your post history reflects.

You need to find something that is stable and sustainable for you to be consistent.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thank you very much. I agree with your analysis.

It's been hard for me to find out something that works.

Others have an "easy time" with keto, etc.

Even my high school trainer, 20 years ago, looked at me with pity and said I was a "hard case" "hard (fat) loser". Then again, his teachings about resistance training, nutrition, etc. have been criticized as bogus, so maybe he is not the best measure to go by.