Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You have only been gone for a year! About time you got your butt back in here!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats Jimbo! Good to see you back on here. Are you here in Houston, or out toward Austin now?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well hell, guess it has been about a year, hasn’t it? I’m still up in Austin until probably mid-August. I think I’m planning to be back in Houston after that, but only for a little while before I move to New York City in October for work.

Also, didn’t get in the gym Tuesday. Was at the Texas Capitol to testify on some education bills until 4am or so and basically slept all of Tuesday away.

Did Back yesterday and Shoulders today:

WG Lat Pulldown: 160 x 7, 130 x 9
Thoracic Lat Row: 70 x 7, 50 x 11
CS T-Bar Row: 160 x 7, 135 x 7
HS Upperback Row: 270 x 6, 180 x 9
Kelsi Shrugs: 40 x 7

And Shoulders:

Machine OHP: 200 x 8, 200 x 8
DB Inc. Lateral Raise: 45 x 10, 30 x 14
Cable Lateral Raise: 40 x 8
Cable Y-Raise: 50 x 5, 40 x 5
Rear Delt Swings: 30 x 11, 25 x 13

I don’t include my warm-ups in this. Just the working sets to failure. Each exercise has a specific tempo, I just don’t feel like trying to log that on here because it’s a PITA. Minimum of 3 minutes rest between working sets.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, current macros are: 201g protein, 35g carbs (all around the workout), and 33.5g fat for about ~1250 cals a day. I understand how little that is, but it’s all for a purpose. Spacing protein out regularly through the day and planning to do this for 3-4 weeks tops before reintroducing carbs and calories.

This is a really aggressive mini-cut, and it will be my first time trying this approach, so we’ll see how it goes.

Post-workout body weight is about 189 today.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m also contemplating moving to 6x a week starting next week. Would just be splitting my leg workout into two and doing quads earlier in the week. Figure that’ll let me hit calves 2x a week and also make the leg workouts more productive due to less fatigue. We’ll see how tomorrow goes for the usual (training with a buddy, so my first non-solo workout in a long time) and I’ll decide after.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Whenever I’ve trained keto there’s just no kind of endurance, so keeping sessions very abbreviated and keeping things heavier & lower volume is ideal for me. Get a stimulus and move on kind of thing.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whenever I’ve trained keto there’s just no kind of endurance, so keeping sessions very abbreviated and keeping things heavier & lower volume is ideal for me. Get a stimulus and move on kind of thing.
I have been basically training low volume for quite a while anyway with higher intensity, which I seem to respond pretty well to. I try to keep each session to
I’m also not sure if I’ll truly hit ketosis? Not sure what the minimum carb situation for me to enter that would be, but I don’t expect to drop calories any further than they are now. Just hold this for 3-4 weeks before slowly increasing again. This was basically an immediate calorie drop from what I was eating while bulking, and a pretty damned significant one too, so I don’t expect it to be maintainable for long.

Just hoping to burn some fat off while my body fat percentage is high enough that the huge deficit isn’t a huge issue before trying to build some more muscle again.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Legs

Calf Press: 180 x 11, 180 x 11
Seated Calf Raise: 115 x 7, 90 x 9
Leg Extension: 115 x 7, 100 x 8
Pendulum Squat: 70 x 8
Seated Leg Curl: 70 x 7, 45 x 9
Glute Bridge: 230 x 7

Had to nix the RDLs at the end. Definitely gonna split this into two sessions and move to:

Chest/Back/Quads/Shoulders/Arms/Hams+Glutes moving forward.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Legs

Calf Press: 180 x 11, 180 x 11
Seated Calf Raise: 115 x 7, 90 x 9
Leg Extension: 115 x 7, 100 x 8
Pendulum Squat: 70 x 8
Seated Leg Curl: 70 x 7, 45 x 9
Glute Bridge: 230 x 7

Had to nix the RDLs at the end. Definitely gonna split this into two sessions and move to:

Chest/Back/Quads/Shoulders/Arms/Hams+Glutes moving forward.
Also, dry body weight this morning was ~187. Losing water fast, but expect that to stabilize here pretty soon and then see what we see.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have been basically training low volume for quite a while anyway with higher intensity, which I seem to respond pretty well to. I try to keep each session to
I’m also not sure if I’ll truly hit ketosis? Not sure what the minimum carb situation for me to enter that would be, but I don’t expect to drop calories any further than they are now. Just hold this for 3-4 weeks before slowly increasing again. This was basically an immediate calorie drop from what I was eating while bulking, and a pretty damned significant one too, so I don’t expect it to be maintainable for long.

Just hoping to burn some fat off while my body fat percentage is high enough that the huge deficit isn’t a huge issue before trying to build some more muscle again.
They make those ketone strips that seem pretty failsafe. I’ve never done keto but I did do carnivore for a little over 2 months. The first few days were hell with cravings. But I did eliminate the inflammation in my Morton’s neuroma, dropped to a new low bodyweight, and retained most strength. I was actually strongest I had ever been at that body weight. But I like pizza and being thickkkkkkk. A bold experiment though. I would highly recommend trying it once.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@jimbuick Good stuff man, next time you are down here let's try to get together for a session or a meal or something. Would be awesome to see you again!

By the way, very proud of your efforts to get your law degree. I know how hard you had to work and the type of jobs you did to get through school so I know it was a ton of effort. AWESOME JOB JIMBO!!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
@jimbuick Good stuff man, next time you are down here let's try to get together for a session or a meal or something. Would be awesome to see you again!

By the way, very proud of your efforts to get your law degree. I know how hard you had to work and the type of jobs you did to get through school so I know it was a ton of effort. AWESOME JOB JIMBO!!!!
Absolutely. Hopefully, I’ll be less small and weak then. And thanks man, it was an absolute slog for 7 straight years, but I finally got that part done. Still have to study my ass off for the next 10 weeks for the bar, but the end is in sight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Couldn’t sleep for **** last night, but was supposed to meet a buddy at the gym this morning for chest so I powered through. He ended up forgetting, so I got a **** workout in to start the week for absolutely nothing. Wasn’t able to get much done and strength was meh at best.

Gym did get some new equipment that looks good, though. Plan was already to change up the exercises next week since I’ve been using the same ones for the last 8 or so and have been struggling to progress.

Don’t expect much change this week, though. Forgot to get on the scale, so don’t know where I’m sitting this morning, but I look noticeably leaner.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A not so great session is better than a skipped session for sure.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back today was significantly better:

WG pull-down: 150 x 8, 130 x 9
Thoracic Lat Row: 80 x 5, 50 x 12
HS Upperback Row: 270 x 6, 230 x 9
CSR: 135 x 7, 135 x 6

Planning to roll my 5 days this week. Legs will be a bitch, but it’s just one more go. Will switch to a 6x a week P/P/L starting on Monday. Planning to program that out this weekend. Diet still sucks. Just gotta keep it pushing for a few more weeks.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have had a rough week with a lot of traveling and haven’t been in the gym consistently because of it. Should be back in tomorrow for a shoulder focused push day. Got a wedding to drive to Saturday, but it’s an evening ceremony, so I expect to be able to hit the gym before hand.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hopefully you can get those sessions in! I am sure you are craving them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hopefully you can get those sessions in! I am sure you are craving them.
Not much on that front. Ended up joining some friends in Rockport on Tuesday and just got back today. Also got the flu or something and came down hard on Thursday and am still feeling like death. Am hoping that I can kick this thing before Monday and get back on my usual schedule.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How’s the weightloss coming?
Unclear, but I’m gonna assume not well based on how poorly I have adhered to the diet lol. Lots of alcohol being drank and lots of bad order in food for the last week or two. I think last I checked I was hovering in the mid-180s and do look noticeably leaner, but kinda expected to have a little better predictability in my schedule and to better adhere to the diet.

Will expect to get on a maintenance type plan diet-wise for a few weeks and reassess.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Took a COVID test today and don’t have COVID. Still have a nasty residual cough, but think I’m good to hit the gym tomorrow. No plans to go anywhere any time soon, so hoping I can get back on schedule and have some actual updates for y’all again.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did not get in the gym today. Woke up feeling pretty rough with a lot of congestion and a worse cough. Hoping tomorrow is better but not optimistic.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did not get in the gym today. Woke up feeling pretty rough with a lot of congestion and a worse cough. Hoping tomorrow is better but not optimistic.
Had that same **** around Easter, took about a week to clear out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hope you all feel better!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hope you feel better today!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks fellas. Feeling much better today. Not 100% (residual cough and congestion), but energy is good and I was able to get a decent workout in.

IMG_1258.JPG

Not bad, all things considered.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad you are feeling better!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back 1 went ok today. This is my trap/rhomboid focused session leading into quads tomorrow.

IMG_1262.JPG

The starred sets are PRs at that weight. The cybex rear delt machine was a new addition. It felt pretty good. We’ll see how I’m able to progress with that movement going forward.

Last edited:
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMG_1272.JPG

Didn’t get in towards the back half of last week because of lots of drinking. Got in for chest focused push today and don’t have any obligations this week, so should be a pretty normal one. Here’s hoping I can stay on track and not get derailed by my degenerate friends.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just Say No!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn’t track it the same because I trained with my boy at his gym and can’t really compare progress since machines are different, but just wrapped up Push 2.

2 sets Machine OHP (Arsenal)
2 sets Machine Laterals (Arsenal) (plus partials on second set)
2 sets pec deck (plus forced reps and partials on second set)
1 set costal pec fly
1 set tricep push down

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Keep up the good work ! 💪

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

The thoracic lat rows are just 2 sets per side, but it’s easier to track my rest periods putting them as separate sets.

Push 1 tomorrow to get me back on a Mon-Sat schedule instead of Tue-Sun.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ow my knees hurt just reading about a 7-rep set of leg extensions
Honestly not that bad since they’re done with a tempo, but that’s also maxing out the stack, so I either need to switch machines or drop it to later in the session.

Just prefer training the quads in the fully shortened position before doing exercises that don’t fully shorten them.

Guess I could also buy a gym pin, but not sure it would fit in that particular machine.