Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, I agree, but I wasn’t really looking for a fight lol. Not a whole lot of options left when folks start throwing punches.
“So Officer, then I told him, ‘My sister can hit harder than that - and she ain’t got no arms!’ You should have seen the look on his face then”

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad you didn't get injured or an arrest record. LOL Happy you "won" if you had to get into it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, I’ve got a minor rib fracture. Doc says no boxing for 4-6 weeks and that squats and bench press type movements are probably a bad idea. But I’m clear to do anything that doesn’t cause discomfort. Will just play it by ear and do what don’t hurt.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So, I’ve got a minor rib fracture. Doc says no boxing for 4-6 weeks and that squats and bench press type movements are probably a bad idea. But I’m clear to do anything that doesn’t cause discomfort. Will just play it by ear and do what don’t hurt.
Hurt ribs are no fun, hope it heals up quickly.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good luck with the recovery!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, as a workout log update, I’m planning on a summer cycle. Haven’t figured out exactly what yet, but probably nothing too wild. Haven’t done a real one in a few years, so should be primed to make some serious gains.

Maybe 600/week Test E for 16 weeks and like 4 weeks SD to kickstart and maybe 3-4 weeks of something similar at the end if I decide to do a meet this summer.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any of y’all got some decent ideas for chest work I can do with a cracked rib? I’m thinking I can get away with body weight stuff like dips and push-ups. I know I can’t bench or do flyes that’ll open the rib cage up or put too much pressure on it. Just looking for some ideas that I can try since doc said I’m good to do anything that doesn’t hurt.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any of y’all got some decent ideas for chest work I can do with a cracked rib? I’m thinking I can get away with body weight stuff like dips and push-ups. I know I can’t bench or do flyes that’ll open the rib cage up or put too much pressure on it. Just looking for some ideas that I can try since doc said I’m good to do anything that doesn’t hurt.
That’s tough. Light machine work or bands? Ribs suck, I really dunno what to do pain free with those busted up

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That’s tough. Light machine work or bands? Ribs suck, I really dunno what to do pain free with those busted up
I’m having the same problem. I think I’ll probably try out some machine work and just keep it relatively light and high volume. Not expecting to build a lot of muscle while I heal up, but can maybe maintain some.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Try looping a band in an X pattern behind your upper back for the pull-ups if they go well unloaded. You can make them massively harder with a light band if you tolerate it. Can take my 50 rep push-ups down to a hard set of 20.

You could also try extremely slow tempo with a brutal emphasis on constant contraction, like 10 second reps. Won’t build any strength but you’re bound to push the fascia limits if you are well hydrated, consuming carbs, sodium & pump compounds like agmatine, nitrates, etc.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try looping a band in an X pattern behind your upper back for the pull-ups if they go well unloaded. You can make them massively harder with a light band if you tolerate it. Can take my 50 rep push-ups down to a hard set of 20.

You could also try extremely slow tempo with a brutal emphasis on constant contraction, like 10 second reps. Won’t build any strength but you’re bound to push the fascia limits if you are well hydrated, consuming carbs, sodium & pump compounds like agmatine, nitrates, etc.
That’s a good idea. Tempo work might be the move right now.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like you could use some pain killers man, like oxy or norco. I’ve had 13 ortho surgeries and they definitely helped me, not to suggest being cavalier about narcotics bc the addiction is very real, obviously. Hang in there.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like you could use some pain killers man, like oxy or norco. I’ve had 13 ortho surgeries and they definitely helped me, not to suggest being cavalier about narcotics bc the addiction is very real, obviously. Hang in there.
I should be fine with just ibuprofen. I got by with that with a broke back, so a cracked rib ain’t no thing. Pain isn’t even all that bad, comparatively. Just don’t wanna do any exercises that put too much stress on it since it risks a full break, which I’d like to avoid if possible lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB Low Inc (T513): 50 x 6 x 3
Pulldown: 70 x 10, 90 x 10, 110 x 10
Machine Press: 55 x 15 x 2
Seated CS Row: 2pps x 8 x 2
a1. Dips: BW x 10, 8
a2. Push-up (tempo): BW x 8, 7
Straight Arm Pulldown: 60 x 15, 12

Notes: not bad. A little discomfort on all the chest work, but back work was ok at these weights. Nothing serious enough that I have concerns. Will keep this type of chest work until I feel closer to 100%, but should be ok to keep the train rolling like this.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am surprised dips didn't push that rib, I get a lot of movement and stretch with dips.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am surprised dips didn't push that rib, I get a lot of movement and stretch with dips.
They didn’t feel great, if I’m being honest. But none of the chest work did, and they didn’t feel materially worse, so it’s probably ok. I didn’t note it, but they were done with something of a tempo too. Basically everything was, but not all of it with specific intent for tempo timing. Just moving in a hyper-controlled manner to work the muscles and not do any serious damage.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They didn’t feel great, if I’m being honest. But none of the chest work did, and they didn’t feel materially worse, so it’s probably ok. I didn’t note it, but they were done with something of a tempo too. Basically everything was, but not all of it with specific intent for tempo timing. Just moving in a hyper-controlled manner to work the muscles and not do any serious damage.
Yeah, unless the rib was cracked through a large portion of the bone I would think only ballistic movement, and possibly even a new impact is going to cause a full break. As long as it doesn't start getting more tender over time you are most likely on the right path. Of course you don't need me to tell you that.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Walmart clothes bro. Get you a $5 pair of shorts and a similarly priced graphic tee, some budget underwear. We would do this on camping trips or if someone needed a shirt for tacky for stones.

Nothing says I’m about to load some stones like a $5 graphic tee from Walmart.
tacky for stones?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, unless the rib was cracked through a large portion of the bone I would think only ballistic movement, and possibly even a new impact is going to cause a full break. As long as it doesn't start getting more tender over time you are most likely on the right path. Of course you don't need me to tell you that.
Yeah, that’s my bet too. Doc seemed a little more skittish than I am, but he wasn’t like a sports guy. I think pushing max weight on pressing movements or sparring is a not great idea for a few more weeks, but most everything else is just gonna be a pain tolerance thing.

I mean, I’m obviously not that concerned since I signed up for a spartan race on May 21st lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, that’s my bet too. Doc seemed a little more skittish than I am, but he wasn’t like a sports guy. I think pushing max weight on pressing movements or sparring is a not great idea for a few more weeks, but most everything else is just gonna be a pain tolerance thing.

I mean, I’m obviously not that concerned since I signed up for a spartan race on May 21st lol.
Insanity! Then again working while going to law school you have to be a little crazy! It will damn sure be worth it in the end though! Doc has to be skittish so if things go bad they can say you went against their recommendations.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

“It’ll probably be fine!”

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good to see you back at it Jim!

just caught up - sorry to hear about your divorce and losing your gym gear. hope that rib isn’t giving you too much curry mate!

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Atlas stones for strongman competition training. Competitors use tacky (think like pine tar) to help stick to the concrete spheres for the lift.
aaaaaaaaah lol ok thats funny :)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another test in the A.M. Spent a few days last week in Houston, and still haven’t found a gym there, so pretty bleh week workout wise. Probably gonna hit a chest/back day after my test and then crank down for my last final Wednesday. Flying out to Miami Wednesday afternoon and will be gone til Saturday. If the hotel gym is decent, I’ll probably get a few workouts in while I’m out there.

If not, I’ll just enjoy my vacation. I start work next Monday in Houston, so I’ll be there full-time again and on a regular work schedule, so things should get pretty damn consistent in here.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another test in the A.M. Spent a few days last week in Houston, and still haven’t found a gym there, so pretty bleh week workout wise. Probably gonna hit a chest/back day after my test and then crank down for my last final Wednesday. Flying out to Miami Wednesday afternoon and will be gone til Saturday. If the hotel gym is decent, I’ll probably get a few workouts in while I’m out there.

If not, I’ll just enjoy my vacation. I start work next Monday in Houston, so I’ll be there full-time again and on a regular work schedule, so things should get pretty damn consistent in here.
Time to light it up

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back in the office this week. Didn’t get back into Houston until early Monday morning and have a long day planned today. Plan is to get up early tomorrow and go check out a gym close to the office. Pics look great, and it should be exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll be on a regular schedule when I get that squared away.

10k Spartan Race is this Saturday. I’ll probably plan to have 3 workouts done before that (Wed-Thu-Fri). Then I’ll be back on a Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri schedule.

I’ll probably look to join a Houston boxing gym early next week, and once I get that figured out I’ll update how that’s gonna fit in. Most likely situation is 2x a week on Wed-Sat. Might double up my Fridays in addition to Sat (or instead of). If I do that, it will be an AM lift before work and a PM at the boxing gym after leaving the office.

We’ll see.

Also, still bouncing around the idea of a summer cycle. Not sure there is a PL meet I’d be interested in doing around the end of the summer, but if not I may just do a “look good nekkid” cycle as my reintroduction to AAS.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nekkids!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!