MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Saw this in the paper at school.
VMG Global Guilty Of Selling Products Spiked With Steroids - NYTimes.com
January 21, 2010
Guilty Plea in Sale of Products With Steroids
By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and NATASHA SINGER

VMG Global, a sports nutrition company in California, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to selling products under the guise of dietary supplements that had been illegally spiked with steroids, according to court documents.

The Food and Drug Administration has jurisdiction over dietary supplements, defined as products that can offer general health benefits but cannot claim to treat specific diseases or symptoms. Products marketed as dietary supplements that are found to contain undeclared pharmaceutical ingredients like steroids are considered to be illegal, misbranded drugs.

Last year, the F.D.A. warned consumers not to buy products marketed as body-building supplements because of concerns that some items might contain undeclared steroids, which can cause serious long-term health problems like acute liver injury, the agency said.

From 2005 through the middle of 2009, according to the documents, VMG Global, which also does business as American Cellular Labs, knowingly deceived consumers and the government by marketing two illegal drug products that each contained a synthetic anabolic steroid under the guise of dietary supplements.

During this time period, the illegal products, called Tren Xtreme and Mass Xtreme, generated revenue of about $5.6 million, the documents said. Mass Xtreme, for example, contained Madol, a designer steroid first identified six years ago during the investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative, the documents said.

VMG Global pleaded guilty to one charge of introducing unapproved drugs into interstate commerce with the intent to defraud and mislead, according to a plea agreement filed Wednesday in United States District Court in San Jose, Calif.

As part of the plea agreement, the company agreed to pay penalties of up to $500,000. It also agreed to destroy its remaining inventory of the two products.

Rick Collins, a lawyer representing VMG Global, said the company had cooperated with the government to resolve the case in a fair and appropriate manner.

“The felony prosecution and the substantial fine imposed should serve as a warning to supplement companies selling misbranded products that do not fit the criteria for a dietary ingredient,” Mr. Collins wrote in an e-mail message in response to a query from a reporter.

Separately, last Friday, another sports nutrition company, MuscleMaster.com of Northborough, Mass., announced a recall of 17 products marketed as dietary supplements.

The company said it was recalling the products because the F.D.A. thought the items contained undeclared steroids.

A press release from the company said it could not confirm that the products contained steroids and had not received any reports of injury, but had recalled the products out of caution.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Begining of the end for a lot of companies.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welp, looks like we'll all have to go to the gym and just do some quality work instead of relying on help in a bottle. Oh, it's going to be tough, I know. I'm sure we can do it, though.

oy...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welp, looks like we'll all have to go to the gym and just do some quality work instead of relying on help in a bottle. Oh, it's going to be tough, I know. I'm sure we can do it, though.

oy...
God forbid dedication is a part of the equation now.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
kinda amazing how long madol was on the market considering it was part of the balco investigation

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The FDA says that these "supplements" were tanted with steroids wtf... That is so wrong... For one thing, in most of these "supplements" the only compound in it is a steroid/ph, and it was marked as such. These companies weren't tricking consumers into thinking it was a natural supplement, as they labeled exactly what their product had in it!!!! That being said, there are/were plenty of kids using these products and im sure most knew, even though they wont admit it, that they are in fact steroids...

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Are there charges against other companies? Why did they single out VMG Global? How come more compounds like superdrol weren't banned?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established

oy...

That is the most insane thing I have read on this board in 8 years.:nono: lol

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
^ you crazy

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
God forbid dedication is a part of the equation now.
Where can I purchase this...Dedication? How much do I take a day? Would a 6 week cycle be too long? PCT needed? :lol:

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Are there charges against other companies? Why did they single out VMG Global? How come more compounds like superdrol weren't banned?

They singled out VMG to add some consequences to the threats that the FDA has issued. VMG wasnt any worse than any other company it probably just had a better faster case with the FDA. I doubt any of this has to do with any sort of real chemistry or understanding of the drugs involved or really much to do with anything at all (not saying they arent dangerous but thats not really what the FDA cares about realistically). They wanted to make an example of someone and that someone just happened to be VMG. And they didnt ban superdrol cause again they dont necessarily care about the general health they just want the message "if you mess with the FDA your going to pay". The FDA just is using this as a stepping stone to regulate all supplementation and when they want something off the shelves just have to issue a warning rather than having to go through court. At least thats what i think they would do it would only make sense, more control less science needed to prove a point, just fear of lawsuits and money loss.

I really doubt the FDA really gives a **** about anything other than how much stuff they can regulate, thats what they get paid for and they arent about to start letting what pays them slide under the radar.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
Because the government gets to choose who wins and who fails for one.

And for two, they are pretty stupid. I mean, they seem clueless considering the recent ban and they left off the most potent one in Superdrol. Even though most don't agree with the ban, it could have been much more effecient and they could have just banned them all. Any ******* with a computer and the internet could learn that if any of them, superdrol should have been on the list.

I didn't realize that the gray market steroids were so profitable. $5.6 million from steroids from one company I haven't even heard of. Looks like there lawyers got them taken care of though.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
The FDA says that these "supplements" were tanted with steroids wtf... That is so wrong... For one thing, in most of these "supplements" the only compound in it is a steroid/ph, and it was marked as such. These companies weren't tricking consumers into thinking it was a natural supplement, as they labeled exactly what their product had in it!!!! That being said, there are/were plenty of kids using these products and im sure most knew, even though they wont admit it, that they are in fact steroids...
Which part of this, dietary supplement /= steroid, do you not get?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey come on, there was cellulose and other natural fillers in the capsule too :D

What confuses me is exactly under which laws the criminal charges were filed.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Because the government gets to choose who wins and who fails for one.

And for two, they are pretty stupid. I mean, they seem clueless considering the recent ban and they left off the most potent one in Superdrol. Even though most don't agree with the ban, it could have been much more effecient and they could have just banned them all. Any ******* with a computer and the internet could learn that if any of them, superdrol should have been on the list.

I didn't realize that the gray market steroids were so profitable. $5.6 million from steroids from one company I haven't even heard of. Looks like there lawyers got them taken care of though.
Those are probably the profit numbers and may be skewed somewhat but when yiu get into the business of retail and look at the numbers, small sales add up very quick and very easy.

Take an average price (the old prices-40-75,bucks) and divide it into that figure, see what you come upwith In terms of bottles sold. I'm sure they also earned from other internet ventures as well that were spun off due to their popularity. It is not so hard to imagine once broken down.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They singled out VMG to add some consequences to the threats that the FDA has issued. VMG wasnt any worse than any other company it probably just had a better faster case with the FDA. I doubt any of this has to do with any sort of real chemistry or understanding of the drugs involved or really much to do with anything at all (not saying they arent dangerous but thats not really what the FDA cares about realistically). They wanted to make an example of someone and that someone just happened to be VMG. And they didnt ban superdrol cause again they dont necessarily care about the general health they just want the message "if you mess with the FDA your going to pay". The FDA just is using this as a stepping stone to regulate all supplementation and when they want something off the shelves just have to issue a warning rather than having to go through court. At least thats what i think they would do it would only make sense, more control less science needed to prove a point, just fear of lawsuits and money loss.

I really doubt the FDA really gives a **** about anything other than how much stuff they can regulate, thats what they get paid for and they arent about to start letting what pays them slide under the radar.
Dilusional.

These companies have sold illegal drugs under the guise of dietary supplements. Illegal drugs are illegal to sell. They sold illegal drugs.

Quit blaming the government and making martyrs of these companies. They knew that they were doing. They knew very well. They are responsible for the regulations being imposed.

Kids knew what they were taking? Have you read what kids in the know know?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
For fk's sake..
Someone jus PM'd me and asked if I worked for the FEDs, second time this happened.

First off, you are a joke.
Second, just because I may appear in some threads seemingly agreeing with what they do does not mean that I am on their jock...

Third, I was engaged to someome that worked with the FEDs. That was torture, why would I be on their jock? I know what type of org they run.

Lastly, just because I may not agree with everyone's perspective, does not mean I'd copp to the FEDs about something I see here or anywhere, I do not sell info...it's not that profitable as some may think.

I have sold substances related to steroids before AND STILL DO ....
Would I post that if I worked for the FEDs..

Some internet freaks are pretty even with apes on the chain, imo!

Oh yeah, if you missed it, you are a joke, k?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
actually too, rereading it, doesn't seem like anyone was convicted of a felony, just was charged? so let off for a 500k fine.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For fk's sake..
Someone jus PM'd me and asked if I worked for the FEDs, second time this happened.

First off, you are a joke.
Second, just because I may appear in some threads seemingly agreeing with what they do does not mean that I am on their jock...

Third, I was engaged to someome that worked with the FEDs. That was torture, why would I be on their jock? I know what type of org they run.

Lastly, just because I may not agree with everyone's perspective, does not mean I'd copp to the FEDs about something I see here or anywhere, I do not sell info...it's not that profitable as some may think.

I have sold substances related to steroids before AND STILL DO ....
Would I post that if I worked for the FEDs..

Some internet freaks are pretty even with apes on the chain, imo!

Oh yeah, if you missed it, you are a joke, k?
Chill Brah... we know's U'z da copz.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
I want to say that it is the same one which floated around sites for a few months but I'm not sure.
It's specific to this case, not a general letter, so I wouldn't see why it would.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Dilusional.

These companies have sold illegal drugs under the guise of dietary supplements. Illegal drugs are illegal to sell. They sold illegal drugs.

Quit blaming the government and making martyrs of these companies. They knew that they were doing. They knew very well. They are responsible for the regulations being imposed.

I wasnt making a martyr of this company. I was making a point as to why the FDA chose to file charges against that particular company. You dont seem me saying there are no inherent risks involved with steroid useage or that they are safe. However given the amount of things on the market that are legal and hold absolutely no beneficial value and a great deal of negative side effects including tobacco and alcohol. Which clearly do have negative consequences. The statement was intended to get the message that VMG was singled out to prove a point. Does this FDA do their job? yes they do. I dont have a problem with the FDA nor do i have a problem with that these companies are told to stop producing steroids and marketing them falsely. No one is making a martyr out of any supplement company. The fact of the matter however still is they chose that company and made an example of them.

NOR did i say i knew kids who knew what they are doing, I do know plenty of people my age that know how to cycle and run PCT's and i know even more who dont, that wasnt even part of the argument. In fact there wasnt an arguement at all, I merely said the FDA made a point of that one particular company to set an example of so that all the others do what they want.

I also dont see the part where you think i was defending the company from the FDA, i never said that they wherent guilty of what they where being charged with.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who cares about steroids being pulled... I need instant fat loss gratification! Bring back T-3 and Clen :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wasnt making a martyr of this company. I was making a point as to why the FDA chose to file charges against that particular company. You dont seem me saying there are no inherent risks involved with steroid useage or that they are safe. However given the amount of things on the market that are legal and hold absolutely no beneficial value and a great deal of negative side effects including tobacco and alcohol. Which clearly do have negative consequences. The statement was intended to get the message that VMG was singled out to prove a point. Does this FDA do their job? yes they do. I dont have a problem with the FDA nor do i have a problem with that these companies are told to stop producing steroids and marketing them falsely. No one is making a martyr out of any supplement company. The fact of the matter however still is they chose that company and made an example of them.

NOR did i say i knew kids who knew what they are doing, I do know plenty of people my age that know how to cycle and run PCT's and i know even more who dont, that wasnt even part of the argument. In fact there wasnt an arguement at all, I merely said the FDA made a point of that one particular company to set an example of so that all the others do what they want.

I also dont see the part where you think i was defending the company from the FDA, i never said that they wherent guilty of what they where being charged with.
I was speaking in general.

Far too often kids and freedom fighters cry about how the supplement industry should be left alone to do what they want because the consumer has a right to put whatever he wants in his body. Well that is just bull****. Yes, I am indeed free to poison my body, but I am not free to manufacture and sell that poison, when it is an illegal drug, simply because there is a demand by educated consumers.

Somone has to be the example. They knew very well what they were doing.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
i agree somewhat with DD post right above me ^ whatscares me alot is when companies like AX laced their supps with illegal drugs (slim xtreme) and im pretty sure hdx2 were laced as well my testicles shrinklet up like crazy. worse then on test.... plus afterwards i felt like **** and no sex drive high fat gains

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
It's specific to this case, not a general letter, so I wouldn't see why it would.
I couldn't pull it on my phone earlier, and the link looked familiar, so i thought it was the same, i'll take a look at that...thanks

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
I was speaking in general.

Far too often kids and freedom fighters cry about how the supplement industry should be left alone to do what they want because the consumer has a right to put whatever he wants in his body. Well that is just bull****. Yes, I am indeed free to poison my body, but I am not free to manufacture and sell that poison, when it is an illegal drug, simply because there is a demand by educated consumers.

Somone has to be the example. They knew very well what they were doing.

Kids want PH/DS around becase they either lack the source for real AAS, or they have no idea how to train, diet, sleep or be disciplined and they lack patience for natural gains. Freedom fighters would make crack and heroin legal if they could... Manufacturing illegal drugs is wrong, I agree. Mis-representing those drugs as natural supplements is wrong too I agree with that as well. Those types of powerful drugs being available to 16 year old kids or anyone with they money and a supplement shop near them, getting advice from (maybe some educated) some idiot who thinks PCT is an acronym for some type of rest regime is wrong as well.

I am not disagreeing with you. And VMG took the fall yes. But if it wasnt them it would be someone else and all that would change is the name of the company, and exactly the same circumstances.

And i think most members on this board appreciate the average american is way too dumb, lazy, and stupid on the subject of body building, steroids or even just health in general (look at our obesity rate, and not the BMI since its flawed the actual skin fold test results for america). I think everyone on this board appreciates that there is a very small minority of the population who can "reasonably" (i say reasonably instead of responsibly cause some of the doseages we use really are way above any type of clinical application) use steroids and have the proper knowlege to do so. Otherwise i think 99% of the population in america shouldnt be anywhere near them, educated people are few and far between.

Now it gets to the point of how far our gov't has to go to protect us from ourselves. And honesly with what i see people doing to themselves and each other its a little late to try and make anyone self reliant or responsible. How u feel the gov't should work is up to you however, and realistically it doesnt matter what you think the gov't is how it will be at least for the majority of all our lifetimes.

To the few people who can run steroids responsibly yes it does suck. For the kids and idiots out there, ya its probably a good idea this ban went through. However incorrectly marketing and distribution of illegal substances is illegal and anyone who par-took in that should have consequences. I do think we all knew this day was coming, I am not shocked by it at all. In fact I am amazed it lasted this long to be completely honest.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Dilusional.

Hmm, almost 6 million in sales and how much in fines and lost product? A couple million at most? I would take that and do it everyday. Really is no deterrent for them not to do it IMO. Think about it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm, almost 6 million in sales and how much in fines and lost product? A couple million at most? I would take that and do it everyday. Really is no deterrent for them not to do it IMO. Think about it.
Oh, I don't disagree that they choose to do what they do with the "taxation" possibilities considered.

As long as "fines" are all the cost then this can and will continue and understandably so.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
To the few people who can run steroids responsibly yes it does suck. For the kids and idiots out there, ya its probably a good idea this ban went through. However incorrectly marketing and distribution of illegal substances is illegal and anyone who par-took in that should have consequences. I do think we all knew this day was coming, I am not shocked by it at all. In fact I am amazed it lasted this long to be completely honest.
Bold:
That would eliminate 95% of every company around the internet ... just from plain old destiny, it probably wouldn't ever happen. Of course if the consequence is small relatively then it would probably only eliminate 50%.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't doubt if they didn't already know this from day one or at least somewhere a few years in.

Take a look at how many people that have actually been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law VS how many have basically taken slaps on the hand and been allowed to walk free, close shop, and pop up somewhere else....makes you think.

purelife1

I wouldn't doubt if they didn't already know this from day one or at least somewhere a few years in.

Take a look at how many people that have actually been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law VS how many have basically taken slaps on the hand and been allowed to walk free, close shop, and pop up somewhere else....makes you think.
yes it seems like all they got was a slap on the wrist..$500k and they keep $5.5 million..sounds like an awsome trade to me..

sometimes i think its all in the luck of the draw..i know people who got busted with only a few items etc and done time and others who had enough to go away for years and get fines and probation..

do i agree with the ban no but they were warned well before this happened so it should come as no surprise...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno, 500k out of 5.5 million in SALES. the question is, what was their profit on the sales like? Since thats the gross number, its hard to say. it probably was most of their profit on it i'd guess after operating expenses

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I don't disagree that they choose to do what they do with the "taxation" possibilities considered.

As long as "fines" are all the cost then this can and will continue and understandably so.

I think Im following along, it would appear that until somebody gets locked up, or "they"(gov.) throw the "book" at someone, it will surely continue.

My biggest gripe is that this isnt going to solve anything, Im still worried that my protein, vitamins and herbs are tainted with lead, melamie, and amphetamines, not steroids.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I am not disagreeing with you. And VMG took the fall yes. But if it wasnt them it would be someone else and all that would change is the name of the company, and exactly the same circumstances.
VMG took the fall only because ACL was the most pimped out company that "max muscle" carried. if "max muscle" wasn't around, or their staff had a frikken clue what they were selling - i.e. read ACL's flyer on tren (direct quote) " one step away from the potent hormone trenbolone", this wouldn't be the craptastic mess it is. dammit, i saw the flyers. how in the hell anyone could read that and think for a second it meant "natural" and "non-steroidal" is beyond my comprehension.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
VMG took the fall only because ACL was the most pimped out company that "max muscle" carried. if "max muscle" wasn't around, or their staff had a frikken clue what they were selling - i.e. read ACL's flyer on tren (direct quote) " one step away from the potent hormone trenbolone", this wouldn't be the craptastic mess it is. dammit, i saw the flyers. how in the hell anyone could read that and think for a second it meant "natural" and "non-steroidal" is beyond my comprehension.
People will claim ignorance in the face of the law. Believe me, some people knew what they were doing ...

For example, If someone tells me that i've been selling an illegal steroid and i am going to face time, i'll become dumb real quick...

Also, about anyone taking the product and believing it was all natural, well, that is just plain ignorance. This is what I do not understand is how someone can even hear a person in the gym talking about something, google it, find a place to buy it, and never come across one thread discussing it and the potential hazards...

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established

I just wonder if and when the penalties will increase. I think most if not all will be slapped on the wrist with a fine like this and then the product eventually banned. The casual user or seller of these products will face far more penalties.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dilusional.

Is that you B?

;)

slacker86

Awards
  • Established

It doesnt matter what you think it matters what you can prove in a court of law. How many average people do you think even know what hormone means? Even further how many people know what trenbolone are?!!? Your assuming a lot of people are educated in many things you are probably over looking. If u got up and asked a jury to define trenbolone, what do u think the answer would be?

And everyone assumes supplements are natural and non-steroidal, cause otherwise they would be perscriptions. The whole point of the FDA is to protect dumbass people from drugs they cant handle and dont know anything about. And if u wanna argue semantics with me thats fine but with ur logic we should just bottle and list (5α,6α)-7,8-didehydro- 4,5-epoxy- 17-methylmorphinan- 3,6-diol diacetate, unless u dont recognize that its heroin. And thus the general population should be able to understand what it is? Plese ur giving way too much credit to a nation that has always proved itself not to think things through. Not that i dislike america i love USA and support everything about it. But just saying our average population doesnt really have the mental capacity to make well informed decisions.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
It doesnt matter what you think it matters what you can prove in a court of law. How many average people do you think even know what hormone means? Even further how many people know what trenbolone are?!!? Your assuming a lot of people are educated in many things you are probably over looking. If u got up and asked a jury to define trenbolone, what do u think the answer would be?

And everyone assumes supplements are natural and non-steroidal, cause otherwise they would be perscriptions. The whole point of the FDA is to protect dumbass people from drugs they cant handle and dont know anything about. And if u wanna argue semantics with me thats fine but with ur logic we should just bottle and list (5α,6α)-7,8-didehydro- 4,5-epoxy- 17-methylmorphinan- 3,6-diol diacetate, unless u dont recognize that its heroin. And thus the general population should be able to understand what it is? Plese ur giving way too much credit to a nation that has always proved itself not to think things through. Not that i dislike america i love USA and support everything about it. But just saying our average population doesnt really have the mental capacity to make well informed decisions.
Hmmm, but this is WHAT THEY DO? I am not sure I follow you on this particular piece?

They do exactly what you mention they should be doing. they bottle a product, put a generic name on the front and the nomenclature on the back...I am not seeing the point in this? From that point on, any jack ass of any trade that has access to a internet connection can just google the nomen and get some info if not all.

They DID google it to find where to buy it and they can tell me that of all those first 10-15 links on google that none showed a bb.com, tnation, elitefitness, am.com, mind&muscle, etc, etc, etc, link ANYWHERE ON THE PAGE? Hogwash! Off all those 10-15 links, the words steroid, post cycle therapy, gyno, liver damage, no d1ck, no sex ..., acne, nolvadex, "torm", "cycle" were never highlighted in black bold print on any sublink? If you go to tf and I kNow if you buy the product the writing is below the bottles with feedback on what people did while taking it (most if not all products have this) ...hold up..let me check...brb

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Ok, back,

Took me less than 60 seconds to click on something drol on tf and bring up the product, click it and bam, right there is a whole write up with feedback below it...

Like i said, you do not even have to KNOW that it is a steroid, just by pure dumb luck anyone can stumble across the fact that it is not natural..

Like before:

People KNOW WHAT THEY ARE taking to some extent but they abuse it thinking it'll be ok, i'll get by, it isn't as bad as doing a narcotic or something. Now, for the <.5% that don't, I feel for those people because they should not even be driving, much less dosing dangerous chemicals.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't trust the ignorant imbeciles of the government to make the decisions as to what should and should not be "poison". :dunno:
Its not that they are deciding its poison, but that its an unnatural substance that has not been scientifically PROVEN to not be poison.