I hate genetics

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Okay well I have been running into sort of a problem the last month that i have been strength training. Strength is going okay but I am steadily losing weight. And I am losing a good deal of weight. It kind of sucks because I need to hold at least 184 lbs by the start of football in spring and I don't really know what to do to fix this problem. Should I be eating more? I figured this would cause more fat retention since volume on strength training isn't all that high. The 30 minutes of sprinting that i do twice a week I am sure has a big part of this but it is a huge difference in muscularity from a month ago till now. Would maybe eating a high carb meal 30 mins before sprinting or so help this a little? Anythign?! :rant: :frustrate

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. You training is geared towards strength, not size so the growth stimulus is reduced greatly.

2. You probably are not eating enough to maintain the muscle you have gained (since you did do a PH cycle).

3. You're sprint training isn't helping AT ALL.

This goes to show that heavy weight does not equal size increases. Its tough to be a bodybuilder (or at least try to look like one) and be an athlete in which speed, endurance and strenght are the focus withouth being blessed (the majority of professional DB's and LB's.

You could try to incorporate more size training but at this point you really have to pick a goal. It will be REALLY tough to maintain the weight you were during your PH cycle while still focusing on strenght training. What you could try to do is focus all your compund exercise on strenght training but everything else towards myofibrillar hypertrophy (reps from 6-10 w/ moderate weight)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good advice Bobo.

Oddly enough when I was in strength training mode, keeping my weight and gaining really wasn't much of a problem for me. Gotta love being an endo... NOT. lol

Granted, I also ate well enough to keep my size during those 12-16 strength training weeks.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Alright thanks for the advice. Is there anything I could do to decrease muscle loss during sprint sessions? I am also on nolva still for another 2 days so I am pretty low on water which is probably why my weight is down more than usual as well.

Renton405

Awards
I would add a weight gainer shake with each of your meals, espesially the breakfast..try eating as many calories as you can durring breakfast....I usually add an NlargeII shake with my breakfast and dinner meals when I wanna gain...and it helps greatly...

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
"This goes to show that heavy weight does not equal size increases"---so bobo, if lifting heavy weight doesnt equal more size, then what does?

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
rep range and set amount and several other things -- sorry to answer the question for you bobo

its well known that rep range is a huge factor in strength training vs size training

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"This goes to show that heavy weight does not equal size increases"---so bobo, if lifting heavy weight doesnt equal more size, then what does?

Time under tension w/ progressive load. In essence Bean is right. The rep range is usually higher which will increase the overall time under tension and then increase that load over time will keep encouraging new growth.

My programs have this concept built into it so its almost impossible not to do it right.