wheres the fullness?

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
The past few weeks ive been killing it in the gym, Prs all around. Lately I have been noticing a lack of muscle fullness and motivation to lift. Currently only using a multi.

Anyone know thw issue? Diet has remained constant throughout

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^ This. My water intake makes or breaks my training and how I physically feel. When I don't get enough water I feel like a crippled old man.

In b4 an Iforce minion suggests Tropinol XP and Intimidate SRT.
tropinol xp and intimidate might work...

water is important but also how often are you training? your carb timing might play a factor as well

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When was your last deload or break?
How is your diet and how long have you been hitting it (ie currently cutting for 8 weeks)?
Sleep patterns?
Any other big life stressors?

Have you considered a pre? A non-stim option may even help with your motivation and especially the muscle fullness.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When was your last deload or break?
How is your diet and how long have you been hitting it (ie currently cutting for 8 weeks)?
Sleep patterns?
Any other big life stressors?

Have you considered a pre? A non-stim option may even help with your motivation and especially the muscle fullness.
this is good information to look at....maybe take a step back and look into these things, kind of strange because your hitting PR's with little motivation

probably something outside of the gym thats really affecting the motivation even though the pr's i would think should show that your body is still doing good with the training

or take tropinol xp and intimidate srt to fix it (J)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Whats your recovery like? If you PR often (like 1RM PR, not rep PR) then perhaps a deload week may be warranted to get the motivation but up or perhaps try selecting some new exercises (or variations) to want to get back into the gym.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Lol. Pretty sure Young Gotti was playing along.

Hopefully
This.

YG isn't like the other minions. He actually takes the time to post in detail which is where the other minions (not all of them) fall flat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well said Hayden. I highly respect YG. He mentions a product that can help in whatever the circumstance may be (not always an Iforce product either) and then fallows up with sound advice on training and nutrition. I view him more as a rep then a minion.

I was poking fun at some minions who will remain nameless and just pimp products.
Oh I know, believe me. I spent a bit of time chasing a few of them around the Nutrition, weight loss and bulking forums (given up now) because every time someone new needs advice, they pimp a product blindly and, if enough of them do it, it comes across as being like a miracle supplement. The last thing I want is for a newbie to think that supplements are the answer for everything.

IMO, the nutritional subforums should be kept to advice on nutrition and helping new people understand that diet is one of the most important factors to training success and not any supplements you can take.

Plus I 'poke fun' at them as well mostly because their posting style is so out of the ordinary for AM. Hardly any reps here blindly post supplement recommendations without considering what has been said previously in the thread and the OP's situation and many also recommend other products outside of their own line. Hence why AM is my preferred forum of choice.

amarula

Awards
Whats your recovery like? If you PR often (like 1RM PR, not rep PR) then perhaps a deload week may be warranted to get the motivation but up or perhaps try selecting some new exercises (or variations) to want to get back into the gym.
Was thinking the same thing

rosemont83

rosemont83

Awards
This.

YG isn't like the other minions. He actually takes the time to post in detail which is where the other minions (not all of them) fall flat.
It was a good tag team of a joke lol
I've read and enjoyed many of YG's posts.
He's koo. Even makes fun of his bros but everyone knows whats up

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
The past few weeks ive been killing it in the gym, Prs all around. Lately I have been noticing a lack of muscle fullness and motivation to lift. Currently only using a multi.

Sounds like you may be overtrained....lots of great supps out there to help recovery like bca's.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you may be overtrained....lots of great supps out there to help recovery like bca's.
Overtraining is a word used far too much when it is not needed. There is a vast difference between overtrained and under recovered. If OP was truly over trained, he would not be breaking PR's. Not to mention BCAA's would do absolutely nothing for recovery.

Overtraining is a CNS issue, not a muscular one and recovery can take 3+ months to recover from:

http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/biolayne-video-log-3-overtraining/
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-difference-between-overloaded-muscles-and-overtraining-part-i/
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-0-585-34048-7_15#page-1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9068095

There are a few graphs floating around that depict the recovery time for actual Overtraining recovery. Believe me, if you can recover from 'overtraining' after 3 days with BCAAs, then you are simply not adjusted to that workload and recovery is slower; you are not overtrained.

Edit: this link has a good graph depicting recovery times for overtraining and overreaching http://www.springerreference.com/docs/html/chapterdbid/336216.html

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
It could possibly just be in your head. The lack of motivation might be subconsciously making you think your physique looks different. Idk just food for thought. If your training is good and you keep hitting PRs, then I don't see the need to switch up your program but maybe just a few days off could be the key. If your diet has remained the same I'm sort of leaning to it might just being a mental thing.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Overtraining is a word used far too much when it is not needed. There is a vast difference between overtrained and under recovered. If OP was truly over trained, he would not be breaking PR's. Not to mention BCAA's would do absolutely nothing for recovery.

Overtraining is a CNS issue, not a muscular one and recovery can take 3+ months to recover from:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-difference-between-overloaded-muscles-and-overtraining-part-i/
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-0-585-34048-7_15#page-1

There are a few graphs floating around that depict the recovery time for actual Overtraining recovery. Believe me, if you can recover from 'overtraining' after 3 days with BCAAs, then you are simply not adjusted to that workload and recovery is slower; you are not overtrained.
Agreed about the over training.

How is your carb and water intake?

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
You look like you know more about this than me, but I figure while grasping at straws... If I take a couple days off lifting, sleep lots, and eat an entire pizza, I fill out like a boss.

bakerwil

Banned
Awards

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-0-585-34048-7_15#page-1

Edit: this link has a good graph depicting recovery times for overtraining and overreaching http://www.springerreference.com/docs/html/chapterdbid/336216.html
Doing PR's is intensive - after a couple or a few weeks of this, you can find yourself 'unrecovered' 'overtrained' whatever. I apologize if I am not clear on the definition of 'over trained'. With the state he has got in, did he say he is still doing PR's or did you assume so? If he is, he won't be for much longer. Needing a break and or needing to re-look at what is making you 'unrecovered' is necessary when this happens. One of the main things that have helped me recover is BCAA's. Personally, I really notice a difference between the bulk NP BCAA's and the new PES Amino IV - awesome supplement. Recovery has never been better. Cheers.

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
You look like you know more about this than me, but I figure while grasping at straws... If I take a couple days off lifting, sleep lots, and eat an entire pizza, I fill out like a boss.
Now your talking recovery!

fast00

fast00

Awards
more carbs and water if supplementing might wanna add GMS or a pump product and take some rest days

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Doing PR's is intensive - after a couple or a few weeks of this, you can find yourself 'unrecovered' 'overtrained' whatever. I apologize if I am not clear on the definition of 'over trained'. With the state he has got in, did he say he is still doing PR's or did you assume so? If he is, he won't be for much longer. Needing a break and or needing to re-look at what is making you 'unrecovered' is necessary when this happens. One of the main things that have helped me recover is BCAA's. Personally, I really notice a difference between the bulk NP BCAA's and the new PES Amino IV - awesome supplement. Recovery has never been better. Cheers.
Depends on the kind of PR. Rep or 1rm and how long in between each 1rm. More than likely he is in a state of overreaching moreso than overtrained.

BCAA's may help muscular recovery, but im not convinced they will save your CNS from being fried; especially if your programming is average. But most bbers dont train with nearly enough intensity (at high enough of your 1rm- not perceived intensity) to cause overtraining.

Unless he elaborates further, we will never know :D

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your hitting PRS who cares. Definatley not overtrained otherwise you would be getting weaker. Did you switch from high reps to low reps recently? I personally would ride it out until gains stop then switch to higher reps for a month or so. Could also do a deload week but I wouldntwouldn't do that until gains stop.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

How often are you lifting?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Lack of fullness + lack of motivation is almost always a sign of glycogen depletion. I'd do a heavy carb refeed and watch the fullness, pumps, and lifts soar

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Lack of fullness + lack of motivation is almost always a sign of glycogen depletion. I'd do a heavy carb refeed and watch the fullness, pumps, and lifts soar
This and I'm not just agreeing because it's coop, this is about spot on.

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This and I'm not just agreeing because it's coop, this is about spot on.
Yep for me this is often the case, about not having enough carb in my system, butmit is weird that he would be able to hit PR at the same time as been carb depleted

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yep for me this is often the case, about not having enough carb in my system, butmit is weird that he would be able to hit PR at the same time as been carb depleted
It happens. PRs (1RM) aren't reliant on the glycolytic system but rather rapid phosphate donation/CNS activity

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Wow. This thread blew up.

Water intake might be low im between 2 and 4 litres a day. Varbs are high bc im bulking.

Typical day is 150g protein 200-400g carb and 50-60 fat

Carbs vary by how I feel.

No supplements right now do to lack of funds

Sodium is high if anything

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Water intake might be low im between 2 and 4 litres a day.
Using a scale before/after a workout, I found that I burn ~2.5L water in about 60-80 minutes of mid-high intensity. I drop ~2L over 8 hours of sleep. Completely winging the math, I'd say I need more than 6 - 8.5L/day total to stay well-hydrated.

I think you're dry, homie.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards

Have you recently stopped any other supements, and has your weight remained the same or is it changing?

Often with dehydration you can notice several lbs different over 1-3 days. Water weight because of consption is low.

Also being on only a multi now, if you were on something else, especially hormonal it can take weeks to make you feel less full and smaller.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Supplements Ive liked for muscle fullness, in order:

Arachidonic Acid (X-Factor)
Glycerol Monostearate/High Volume
Creatine Monohydrate
Karbolyn

Of course, backing off the volume and/or upping calories is smart as well as is paying attention to your water intake.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Supplements Ive liked for muscle fullness, in order:

Arachidonic Acid (X-Factor)
Glycerol Monostearate/High Volume
Creatine Monohydrate
Karbolyn

Of course, backing off the volume and/or upping calories is smart as well as is paying attention to your water intake.
My muscle hardness and fullness increased with volume and ara.

I am not a big fan of karbolyn. I would highly recommend dark matter and carbion. One scoop of each with the appropriate GDA

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My muscle hardness and fullness increased with volume and ara.

I am not a big fan of karbolyn. I would highly recommend dark matter and carbion. One scoop of each with the appropriate GDA
High reps + ArA is typically a winning recipe for muscle fullness.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Have used any supps for arojnd 6 months now... I have 50 $ a week for food so there isnt room for much.

Weight is steadily increasing. Im ay 191 from 170 in late june. Was 162 at my competition early june.

What are basic supps yall would suggest? Any new stuff ive missed out on? Willing to buy one or two with xmas money.

Maybe ill start a life log if interest is there so I could get some better advise in the future

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have used any supps for arojnd 6 months now... I have 50 $ a week for food so there isnt room for much.

Weight is steadily increasing. Im ay 191 from 170 in late june. Was 162 at my competition early june.

What are basic supps yall would suggest? Any new stuff ive missed out on? Willing to buy one or two with xmas money.

Maybe ill start a life log if interest is there so I could get some better advise in the future
As far as products go:

Anabeta elite : get what you pay for. The things that work are either expensive because of it or reasonably priced due to popularity and larger runs. works well with following ingredients ; forskolin, agmatine, carnitine, GMS

XFactor: very good, as we train it gets depleted: can argue a steak to get ara, but supplemental is easier. Works well with things that inhibit FAAH, and 5-LPO to prevent breakdown. Again. Here you can use ; agmatine

As far as test boosters. Depends on age ect

Can't go wrong with something like muscle marinade for endurance and focus if ever lacking : high volume or hemavol works well with it too

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I hear that Tropinol xp and intimidate srt could help you

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
As far as products go:

Anabeta elite : get what you pay for. The things that work are either expensive because of it or reasonably priced due to popularity and larger runs. works well with following ingredients ; forskolin, agmatine, carnitine, GMS

XFactor: very good, as we train it gets depleted: can argue a steak to get ara, but supplemental is easier. Works well with things that inhibit FAAH, and 5-LPO to prevent breakdown. Again. Here you can use ; agmatine

As far as test boosters. Depends on age ect

Can't go wrong with something like muscle marinade for endurance and focus if ever lacking : high volume or hemavol works well with it too
I bet to differ re: ArA. Eating a steak and supplementing in the appropriate manner are not the same. When taken with food Ara will not be selective for muscle tissue whereas taken fasted, ArA + exercise will ensure it is directed to the muscles being worked.

Source: Neuron -->

Background
After ingestion, fatty acids like arachidonic acid are emulsifed and taken up into enterocytes where they are esterfied on a glycerol backbone to form a triglyceride. Next, the triglycerides and cholesterol esters are bound together to form a chylomicron. This entity can now diffuse into the lymphatics and then into the blood. Once in the blood, the chylomicrons are free to interact with various tissue receptors depending on energy homeostasis. When needed, they can interact with an enzyme called Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL) that will hydrolyze the triglycerides back into fatty acids to be used as fuel or for storage purposes.

The point being...
In which tissue the fatty acids are deposited is a function of the energetic state of the organism overall. In a post-prandial, high fed, state, the dominant hormone is insulin. Similarly, the only isoform of LPL that is active with insulin is located on adipocytes. It should be obvious now that consuming fats when eating will direct them to adipose. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in the context of fish oil, as adipose is now recognized as a great contributer to endogenous hormone production like the prostanoids.

But...
In the context of Arachidonic Acid, the final destination should be skeletal muscle. Luckily, there is an energetic state which favors fatty acid delievery to this tissue: Exercise (or acute starvation) [1]. In an exercise-induced environment, LPL on skeletal muscle becomes active which serves as an adjunct to glycolysis for the TCA cycle via beta-oxidation. Similarly, the enzyme DGAT also becomes active in skeletal muscle which functions to store excess fatty acids as triglycerides. Since both of these enzymes are heavily active during exercise, it is clear that an excess of fatty acids are being removed from blood plasma into skeletal muscle as a reservoir (this also serves to decrease insulin insensitivity [2]).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This was one of the major limitations with the baylor study as it did not specify that ArA should be taken PWO or fasted. Improvements were still made, but they could have been far more favourable.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I bet to differ re: ArA. Eating a steak and supplementing in the appropriate manner are not the same. When taken with food Ara will not be selective for muscle tissue whereas taken fasted, ArA + exercise will ensure it is directed to the muscles being worked.

Source: Neuron -->

Background
After ingestion, fatty acids like arachidonic acid are emulsifed and taken up into enterocytes where they are esterfied on a glycerol backbone to form a triglyceride. Next, the triglycerides and cholesterol esters are bound together to form a chylomicron. This entity can now diffuse into the lymphatics and then into the blood. Once in the blood, the chylomicrons are free to interact with various tissue receptors depending on energy homeostasis. When needed, they can interact with an enzyme called Lipoprotein Lipase (LPL) that will hydrolyze the triglycerides back into fatty acids to be used as fuel or for storage purposes.

The point being...
In which tissue the fatty acids are deposited is a function of the energetic state of the organism overall. In a post-prandial, high fed, state, the dominant hormone is insulin. Similarly, the only isoform of LPL that is active with insulin is located on adipocytes. It should be obvious now that consuming fats when eating will direct them to adipose. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in the context of fish oil, as adipose is now recognized as a great contributer to endogenous hormone production like the prostanoids.

But...
In the context of Arachidonic Acid, the final destination should be skeletal muscle. Luckily, there is an energetic state which favors fatty acid delievery to this tissue: Exercise (or acute starvation) [1]. In an exercise-induced environment, LPL on skeletal muscle becomes active which serves as an adjunct to glycolysis for the TCA cycle via beta-oxidation. Similarly, the enzyme DGAT also becomes active in skeletal muscle which functions to store excess fatty acids as triglycerides. Since both of these enzymes are heavily active during exercise, it is clear that an excess of fatty acids are being removed from blood plasma into skeletal muscle as a reservoir (this also serves to decrease insulin insensitivity [2]).
I wasn't saying they were equal I was just giving an example Of a dietary source.

mightymatt84

mightymatt84

Awards
Eat more carbs increase water intake and use a good preworkout. Maybe your current diet is no longer up to the demands of your workouts ie you are now carrying more muscle and hitting the gym harder so you might need to increase your macros.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I would say increase water intake if you haven't already.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Eat more carbs increase water intake and use a good preworkout. Maybe your current diet is no longer up to the demands of your workouts ie you are now carrying more muscle and hitting the gym harder so you might need to increase your macros.
This is very true, what used to be a lot of food for me is now barely enough to keep me going with about 10% more lean body mass than I had a few years ago.

It seems that not continually increasing calories is the primary reason why people plateau in muscle size and strength.