Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
“Never tie your PR, dude.”
-Louie Simmons
I honestly tried not to, but I had so much luck with pounding out a few at 290+ last weekend that I figured don't rock the boat and just keep that momentum.

Next Tuesday my wife has a surgery so I'll be home with her most of the time. My goal is to have a great bench session Sunday with my boy and then next week is a toss up so there may be a gap of time there to contend with.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My only complaint is lack of volume. Really felt like I needed more today but not enough time.
I felt the same way about today's training session. But, if frequency is high enough, that's OK right? When will you hit it again?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
But, if frequency is high enough, that's OK right?
after 25 years I don't know the science. I studied all of Hyde's recommendations for Dapack, watched how many days they take off pre comp etc and I feel like if I miss a week I go backwards. of course, if I do too much, I go backwards... lol

When will you hit it again?
Sunday with my boy for sure. So it's a toss up on whether or not I will go for 305 having a 14yr old spot me. if we get my buddy to join us for an all out bro sesh I'll probably go for it. If not, then i'll have a killer volume day for sure lol

either way I do feel good knowing that twice this week I hit 295 zero problems. 300 felt good and that what was a pie in the sky PR appears to be in my back pocket now.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
after 25 years I don't know the science. I studied all of Hyde's recommendations for Dapack, watched how many days they take off pre comp etc and I feel like if I miss a week I go backwards. of course, if I do too much, I go backwards... lol

Sunday with my boy for sure. So it's a toss up on whether or not I will go for 305 having a 14yr old spot me. if we get my buddy to join us for an all out bro sesh I'll probably go for it. If not, then i'll have a killer volume day for sure lol

either way I do feel good knowing that twice this week I hit 295 zero problems. 300 felt good and that what was a pie in the sky PR appears to be in my back pocket now.
Don’t sweat it; you are doing work and obviously getting stronger.

When you take time off, you recover and shed fatigue. If fatigue was piling up, like in the beginning of/immediately prior to a peaking cycle, that time off at the end will make you stronger - provided you are doing enough work to maintain technical proficiency.

Most people can take 4-7 days off of a movement pattern entirely and still execute it very well. The more trained/advanced a lifter is and the hotter their nervous system runs, the longer they can maintain proficiency. Gender, years of experience, and steroid use all can impact this ability. Plus personal preferences of course - some people convince themselves they need more practice than they really do.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Most people can take 4-7 days off of a movement pattern entirely and still execute it very well. The more trained/advanced a lifter is and the hotter their nervous system runs, the longer they can maintain proficiency. Gender, years of experience, and steroid use all can impact this ability. Plus personal preferences of course - some people convince themselves they need more practice than they really do.
you know what's funny is how much I am still developing the skill of bench press. after a million reps (actually I did the math, it's probably less than 200,000 reps) I am still noticing some things improving. My descent at 295 and 300 yesterday felt incredible, like a light bulb went off. They were a tiny bit on the slow side but felt crazy controlled. I'm becoming more aware of seeing people absolutely collapse at the bottom as well on heavy efforts and I think my own experience + observing others is helping to improve my form a bit. (plus that advice you gave me last summer to get 315+ in my hands as often as possible)

You have a porcupine lodged in your throat and you still trained. Fuk volume
ahaha yeah. I told my wife I finally understand why my grandpa walked around with a handkerchief 😅 I wasn't snotty at the gym or anything but the past few days have felt like my head was in a tunnel, hard to hear and focus. My buddy suggested I take an antihistamine so I popped an allegra after the gym yesterday and felt almost immediately better, today I feel 99% recovered, except I slept on my arm poorly and my left shoulder is killing me like when you get a stiff neck from a bad pillow lol

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You have a porcupine lodged in your throat and you still trained. Fuk volume
honestly only things that keep me from training are either schedule conflicts, or like all out depression. I'll train in a bad mood, but not in a low mood, I've learned sometimes that mental health recovery is actually more important for me even than physical recovery.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you know what's funny is how much I am still developing the skill of bench press. after a million reps (actually I did the math, it's probably less than 200,000 reps) I am still noticing some things improving. My descent at 295 and 300 yesterday felt incredible, like a light bulb went off. They were a tiny bit on the slow side but felt crazy controlled. I'm becoming more aware of seeing people absolutely collapse at the bottom as well on heavy efforts and I think my own experience + observing others is helping to improve my form a bit. (plus that advice you gave me last summer to get 315+ in my hands as often as possible)

ahaha yeah. I told my wife I finally understand why my grandpa walked around with a handkerchief 😅 I wasn't snotty at the gym or anything but the past few days have felt like my head was in a tunnel, hard to hear and focus. My buddy suggested I take an antihistamine so I popped an allegra after the gym yesterday and felt almost immediately better, today I feel 99% recovered, except I slept on my arm poorly and my left shoulder is killing me like when you get a stiff neck from a bad pillow lol
I’m dealing w shoulder pain on the left also. It’s the way I sleep or bad posture on the couch so I can be close to My Lady. I drive w left arm, when I put my harness on for working in the bucket it hurts then. Thought it was rotator or labrum but I can’t feel it notching, clicking or popping. No movement hurts other than flys which I have abandoned. Can barbell bench, incline db, barbell row, pull-down, lat prayers, seated military press, and Skull crushers on an incline all feel great. I can take a week off and it still hurts. Maybe it’s just tendinitis?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m dealing w shoulder pain on the left also. It’s the way I sleep or bad posture on the couch so I can be close to My Lady. I drive w left arm, when I put my harness on for working in the bucket it hurts then. Thought it was rotator or labrum but I can’t feel it notching, clicking or popping. No movement hurts other than flys which I have abandoned. Can barbell bench, incline db, barbell row, pull-down, lat prayers, seated military press, and Skull crushers on an incline all feel great. I can take a week off and it still hurts. Maybe it’s just tendinitis?

IDK but I always start with kettlebell armbars to prehab any inkling of a shoulder injury. 99% of the time that fixes it within a couple weeks. if it's worse than I have to dig in from there, but usually that's my solution.

in my case, weds night it suddenly flared up out of absolutely nowhere while sitting on the couch for a moment. almost nauseating. then it went away. woke up thursday and it was sore around the top of the tricep and down. But today it seems fully recovered. sometimes I just try to ignore some aches and pains cause it's hard to know what's in my head and whats legit unless it lingers.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@MrKleen73
would you be willing to post an example 1 day of nutrition for me here? breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner etc? I have an idea of where your macros are but I'd like to see the full break down, and maybe fiber sources.
I would like to forego my daily lunch salad as it's been difficult to choke down lately. but it's been a great source of greens for me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@MrKleen73
would you be willing to post an example 1 day of nutrition for me here? breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner etc? I have an idea of where your macros are but I'd like to see the full break down, and maybe fiber sources.
I would like to forego my daily lunch salad as it's been difficult to choke down lately. but it's been a great source of greens for me.
Sorry Brother, I can't share the specifics of his meal plan as much as I would like too.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warmup
Empty bb press, power cleans
Deads and cleans at 135lb

Deficit (2")
5 x 135, 225
3 x 235, 285, 335
1 x 385, 405

From the ground
3 x 5 x 315

Leg ext
3 x 15

Superset with
Leg curls
3 x 15

Notes
Feeling a bit gassed today, but got the work in. Still weirdly congested.

Although my lifting partner struggled today too and missed his 405 attempt so maybe we have just been burning it hard lately.

only other thing worth noting is today (Dec 1) I'm off epi so my supplement stack is pretty much just:

Anabolic Effect
Phosphatidic Acid XT
Orchic Extract
Alpha Gel

Thinking of getting some Anabolic XT or Growth Factor to throw in the mix.

Last edited:
PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
IDK but I always start with kettlebell armbars to prehab any inkling of a shoulder injury. 99% of the time that fixes it within a couple weeks. if it's worse than I have to dig in from there, but usually that's my solution.

in my case, weds night it suddenly flared up out of absolutely nowhere while sitting on the couch for a moment. almost nauseating. then it went away. woke up thursday and it was sore around the top of the tricep and down. But today it seems fully recovered. sometimes I just try to ignore some aches and pains cause it's hard to know what's in my head and whats legit unless it lingers.
Weird phantom pain. And then it just went away. And why do we all own a “bad pillow”. I have one I love and the other fuks my shiz up. I should just throw the damn thing out.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Weird phantom pain. And then it just went away. And why do we all own a “bad pillow”. I have one I love and the other fuks my shiz up. I should just throw the damn thing out.
Once I put in about ten+ lbs this past winter as weird as this sounds I had to start sleeping with my arms in a different position lol. It's not like I put on 60lbs of muscle. But as I grew I did have to position my arms different in bed lol

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Once I put in about ten+ lbs this past winter as weird as this sounds I had to start sleeping with my arms in a different position lol. It's not like I put on 60lbs of muscle. But as I grew I did have to position my arms different in bed lol
So maybe I need to cycle pillows through. I’ll have a bulking pillow and a cutting pillow. Lmao

I freak my wife out when I sleep. I can sleep incredibly well on my back, but I will snore. Doesn’t wake me up but she will. Lol. I sleep in the “laid to rest in a coffin” position. That freaks her out too. Otherwise I look like I’m at a Pantera concert Circa 1998 killin it in the mosh pit!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Check your infraspinatus and scalenes (maybe supraspinatus? I’m blanking a bit specifically at the moment). There’s certain shoulder muscles and neck muscles that might need some self massage/rolling out that get aggravated by specific sleep positions for some people depending on pillow, bed, etc.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Got my cardio caught up.
The walk down to the beach was so easy I wondered if it was worth it. The walk back up the hill had me huffing and puffing and sweating a bit, dogs are happy though. About 40f degrees this morning.

Screenshot_2023-12-02-10-05-43-36_23438d5da09a4b7312b6b4d0ac293f71.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-02-10-05-01-13_23438d5da09a4b7312b6b4d0ac293f71.jpg
IMG20231202094615.jpg
IMG20231202091916.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Forget that, the people really just want to see Kleen do the 10,000 calorie challenge on video! 🤣🤣🤣
You supply me with the A5 Wagyu ribeyes for the day and I am in! I know I could do 10,000 grand on that, what would it be like 2lbs of that stuff. Basically 1.25lbs of fat there. LOL. Only a $1000 dollar day, but I could force it down. ;)
Got my cardio caught up.
The walk down to the beach was so easy I wondered if it was worth it. The walk back up the hill had me huffing and puffing and sweating a bit, dogs are happy though. About 40f degrees this morning.

View attachment 238320View attachment 238321View attachment 238322View attachment 238323
It looks like your dogs want you to go faster! ;)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You supply me with the A5 Wagyu ribeyes for the day and I am in! I know I could do 10,000 grand on that, what would it be like 2lbs of that stuff. Basically 1.25lbs of fat there. LOL. Only a $1000 dollar day, but I could force it down. ;)

It looks like your dogs want you to go faster! ;)
Always, I wish they wanted to pull me up hill as much as they do downhill

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Heck yeah man looks nice there! I keep trying to convince my wife to move back to Alaska, but I don’t think I’m going to win the battle
I'm with her lol

It's beautiful up here and I'm doing my best to enjoy it but it honestly feels colder every year. On the east side of our state it can feel warmer at 25f in the snow than it does over here at 38f. I don't totally understand that but I'm told it's because of the humidity and the icy cold water particles in the air

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm with her lol

It's beautiful up here and I'm doing my best to enjoy it but it honestly feels colder every year. On the east side of our state it can feel warmer at 25f in the snow than it does over here at 38f. I don't totally understand that but I'm told it's because of the humidity and the icy cold water particles in the air
It’s like when the house is 68 in the summer w AC on and you r in shorts and a tank, but when the heat is only set to 68 in the winter you r in sweats and a hoodie

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t know if there really is anything to it, maybe some but how much idk.

last summer after a shower I turn it down as cold as it can go and stay as long as I can. Been at it now for like maybe 6 months. My cold tolerance seems to be definitely better then I remember.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm with her lol

Well, this is the easiest way to explain the humidity effect to out of towners that I have come up with from trying to explain why it feels so much hotter or colder here at the same temperature as where they live.

When it is 105 outside it is pretty hot even if you are not directly in the sunlight absorbing the heat from the sun on your skin, it really isn't too bad. However if you go to get into a 105 degree hot tub you slip in slowly to let your body get used to the heat on your skin. It is the same temperature though, the density of what is at that temperature is much greater causing you to feel the temperature much more. Same with walking outside in 38 degrees, yeah that is cold but if someone through a cup of water from the fridge on you it is shockingly cold. Water is pretty much 100% humidity.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
15 x 95, 95
3 x 145, 195, 235, 265 (short pause)
1 x 285, 295, 295

Slingshot
1 x 315
2 x 300

Raw
7 x 240
10 x 205

2 second pause
3 x 5 x 185

(Mostly so my boy could practice pauses at well)

Tricep extensions
3 x 15+

DB incline press
3 x 10+15

Machine flies
3 sets

Cardio
LISS treadmill while we did Duolingo (hea doing German)

25min

Notes
Sunday session with my boy.
Considered 300+ today but didn't want to over reach with the young spotter. Happy with the upper end work though nonetheless. The 295 was CLEAN. probably my best quality rep there.

My holding pattern at 295/300 doesn't bother me at all. I feel like. Building a great base.

Another note
My boy is too self conscious still to let me teach him a good barbell squat but after leg press today I tricked him into hack squats cause he said he doesn't want his legs to get as small as mine

Long story short the kid is hack squatting like 200+ on his first attempt for 5s and triples lol

Screenshot_2023-12-03-12-53-02-83_801c3494cc30bc6d615367769f98046d.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-03-14-05-27-36_23438d5da09a4b7312b6b4d0ac293f71.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff Man, nice session with the boy. Great work from him on the hacks too!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice workout….it’s always good when you’re able to bring your son, and can teach them first hand how to properly train. Hack squatting over 200 lbs for reps is good start for your son. 👍

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice session and always great when you get to teach your kid something new! Like that Duolingo note too. I was really consistent earlier in the year with French lessons, but dropped off. Haven't gotten myself to recommit fully yet, but should!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well, this is the easiest way to explain the humidity effect to out of towners that I have come up with from trying to explain why it feels so much hotter or colder here at the same temperature as where they live.

When it is 105 outside it is pretty hot even if you are not directly in the sunlight absorbing the heat from the sun on your skin, it really isn't too bad. However if you go to get into a 105 degree hot tub you slip in slowly to let your body get used to the heat on your skin. It is the same temperature though, the density of what is at that temperature is much greater causing you to feel the temperature much more. Same with walking outside in 38 degrees, yeah that is cold but if someone through a cup of water from the fridge on you it is shockingly cold. Water is pretty much 100% humidity.
it's so weird man. Texas is the worst humidity I've seen. In fact, I didn't really know what humidity was until I was doing business in Austin in my late 20s and couldn't figure out why my skin felt wet when it was like 65f out. I thought it was just oily water or something from the hotel.

In Western WA, everyone complains about the humidity but it's different, I've never had my skin be wet just from existing in the air. However it's similar in that when I'm on the east side of WA (desert) or down in Arizona 100F is more comfortable than 80f in the Seattle area.

here's where it's weird. 50F in PHX is actually pretty cold. in Seattle area, it's t-shirt weather.
In eastern WA like Leavenworth when there's 4ft of snow on the ground and it's 19-25F, it actually feels much warmer than stuff I've experienced in Tacoma at water level when it's like 20-30F+. Actually for me it's about 40F. that's my cut off, as soon as we dip below 40F (usually late Oct - April ish) it just becomes bitterly cold. like hands shaking cold. it's crazy.

it does help to distract yourself though. throwing on some sweats and going outside for cardio, or getting into a round of golf, or skiing etc and you suddenly notice every sun break (warmth) etc and feel pretty good. Unless it rains, then holy cow, pure misery lol.

Good stuff Man, nice session with the boy. Great work from him on the hacks too!
Nice workout….it’s always good when you’re able to bring your son, and can teach them first hand how to properly train. Hack squatting over 200 lbs for reps is good start for your son. 👍
Honestly I think he could probably hack more than me at this point, I've used a hack squat machine so rarely I have always found them to be very hard. I've seen him leg press 450 and I try to watch his knees and use these machines as a precursor to prepare him for squat form. Getting him on a hack squat machine was sorta cool because I felt like we had an even better chance to truly look at foot position, knees etc and start to develop some good habits. The kid is strong as hell but now he's talking about a buddy of his doing arm work and whatnot so I'm glad that as a freshman in high school that competitive side is coming in. before long training sessions with dad will probably fall off but he will be training more regularly with the bros at school and hopefully with some good etiquette and form that I can teach him in the meantime.

Nice session and always great when you get to teach your kid something new! Like that Duolingo note too. I was really consistent earlier in the year with French lessons, but dropped off. Haven't gotten myself to recommit fully yet, but should!
Tu necesitas practicar tus idioma todos los dias! I'm sitting around a 635 day streak I think. I always get more time in before and after Mexico trips. it's so freaking hard but I have sorta accepted that it's a lifetime pursuit!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you find that Duolingo is very helpful? I really need to learn Spanish, I have been here since 1987 and only know a few words and most are curse words. I have some people around i could probably practice with if I had any sort of base vocabulary.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Do you find that Duolingo is very helpful? I really need to learn Spanish, I have been here since 1987 and only know a few words and most are curse words. I have some people around i could probably practice with if I had any sort of base vocabulary.
honestly? extremely. I listen to as much spanish music as I can, and try to watch some spanish tv but so far duolingo has done far more. On our trip to Guadalajara last month really almost nobody spoke English and we did fine. I didn't realize how far my spanish had come until my wife said she'd be stuck at the airport without me lol (shows you how brave she is to truly enjoy herself in an area where she couldn't communicate with anyone but me).

we briefly (like 3 months) did these Thursday night spanish classes in a classroom setting with I think 12 other people. THAT I think had a super big impact, despite being slow, my wife was doing much better picking things up there and I'm sorta surprised the only spanish she still remembers was from that class. but one more weekly obligation until 7:30 at night on thursdays was just too much for us.

my only plan right now is to continue with duolingo until I complete it, then figure out the next thing. I have seen folks in like PVR who will do facetime classes with you and thought about a 30 minute session in the morning on my way to work. If we truly move to Mexico our plan is to hire a tutor down there as well.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
honestly? extremely. I listen to as much spanish music as I can, and try to watch some spanish tv but so far duolingo has done far more. On our trip to Guadalajara last month really almost nobody spoke English and we did fine. I didn't realize how far my spanish had come until my wife said she'd be stuck at the airport without me lol (shows you how brave she is to truly enjoy herself in an area where she couldn't communicate with anyone but me).

we briefly (like 3 months) did these Thursday night spanish classes in a classroom setting with I think 12 other people. THAT I think had a super big impact, despite being slow, my wife was doing much better picking things up there and I'm sorta surprised the only spanish she still remembers was from that class. but one more weekly obligation until 7:30 at night on thursdays was just too much for us.

my only plan right now is to continue with duolingo until I complete it, then figure out the next thing. I have seen folks in like PVR who will do facetime classes with you and thought about a 30 minute session in the morning on my way to work. If we truly move to Mexico our plan is to hire a tutor down there as well.
That is one thing i can say I am lucky to have if I do indeed start learning Spanish. Due to my location I have a plethora of people who would help me by having some conversations in Spanish as long as I was showing the initiative they would actually be honored I was trying to learn and happy to be a part of it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
it's so weird man. Texas is the worst humidity I've seen. In fact, I didn't really know what humidity was until I was doing business in Austin in my late 20s and couldn't figure out why my skin felt wet when it was like 65f out. I thought it was just oily water or something from the hotel.

In Western WA, everyone complains about the humidity but it's different, I've never had my skin be wet just from existing in the air. However it's similar in that when I'm on the east side of WA (desert) or down in Arizona 100F is more comfortable than 80f in the Seattle area.

here's where it's weird. 50F in PHX is actually pretty cold. in Seattle area, it's t-shirt weather.
In eastern WA like Leavenworth when there's 4ft of snow on the ground and it's 19-25F, it actually feels much warmer than stuff I've experienced in Tacoma at water level when it's like 20-30F+. Actually for me it's about 40F. that's my cut off, as soon as we dip below 40F (usually late Oct - April ish) it just becomes bitterly cold. like hands shaking cold. it's crazy.

it does help to distract yourself though. throwing on some sweats and going outside for cardio, or getting into a round of golf, or skiing etc and you suddenly notice every sun break (warmth) etc and feel pretty good. Unless it rains, then holy cow, pure misery lol.

Honestly I think he could probably hack more than me at this point, I've used a hack squat machine so rarely I have always found them to be very hard. I've seen him leg press 450 and I try to watch his knees and use these machines as a precursor to prepare him for squat form. Getting him on a hack squat machine was sorta cool because I felt like we had an even better chance to truly look at foot position, knees etc and start to develop some good habits. The kid is strong as hell but now he's talking about a buddy of his doing arm work and whatnot so I'm glad that as a freshman in high school that competitive side is coming in. before long training sessions with dad will probably fall off but he will be training more regularly with the bros at school and hopefully with some good etiquette and form that I can teach him in the meantime.

Tu necesitas practicar tus idioma todos los dias! I'm sitting around a 635 day streak I think. I always get more time in before and after Mexico trips. it's so freaking hard but I have sorta accepted that it's a lifetime pursuit!
Did your son ever struggle with butt wink on a squat? My son can't get figure out how to stick his butt out so his lower back rounds every rep on a squat, so he's only doing goblet squats with a light dumbell now. Any thoughts?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did your son ever struggle with butt wink on a squat? My son can't get figure out how to stick his butt out so his lower back rounds every rep on a squat, so he's only doing goblet squats with a light dumbell now. Any thoughts?
A little but wink is actually not an issue. A pronounced one, not so good. Also he may just need to work on his initial set up. I am sure @Hyde or one of the powerlifters might have more good suggestions to fix it but it could also just be bone / hip structure.

Also the goblets are a great way for him to learn to keep the chest high and thoracic spine extended. Have him try some different foot placements too, maybe he can find one that allows him to drop into the bottom a little better with his structure.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That is one thing i can say I am lucky to have if I do indeed start learning Spanish. Due to my location I have a plethora of people who would help me by having some conversations in Spanish as long as I was showing the initiative they would actually be honored I was trying to learn and happy to be a part of it.
man I have tried so much to use that perk. I have a ton of mexican co-workers, one of which went to Guadalajara with me last month, and another is 15ft from my desk. I will ask them questions frequently but it's never really enough to "just go for it" and converse in espanol lol. I do better when I'm forced into it Mexico and spanish is my only option. my ears start to pick it up way better when I'm in the country surrounded by it all day.

My son, being 14, is not yet comfortable in a public squat rack surrounded by yoga pants everywhere when attempting foreign ideas so we haven't really pushed it that far. in general I'd say no, his biggest fail is knees caving in and heels coming up, but I'm already seeing him fix that big time. I'd have to see your sons squat, generally speaking relaxing the lumbar is either from just not being aware of it or simply squatting too deep. I agree with Kleen, a buttwink in and of itself isn't an injury waiting to happen, where I have seen sorness (still not really an injury though) is guys relaxing their lower lumbar area deep in the squat like on a pause squat for a number of reps.

Love the idea of goblet squats as a squat substitute for now as well. good on you! (y)
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where not getting his butt out is causing the butt wink though.
Generally speaking the things I'm watching first are knees, heels, and good mornings. From there I'm looking at bar path. even though I've gone away from high bar, I think it's fine but a common fail I see in newbs is a higher bar position with a low bar squat so what ends up happening is the barbell is more over their toes than mid foot at the bottom (= sore lower back).

the more I think it through it sounds like you're describing your son as maybe having a low bar position with more of a higher bar style squat?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could just ask your hispanic co-workers to respond to you in Spanish even if you ask in English to help keep things moving. Then you will start remembering to ask in Spanish after a little bit and get a lot more practice that way. Just a thought.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
man I have tried so much to use that perk. I have a ton of mexican co-workers, one of which went to Guadalajara with me last month, and another is 15ft from my desk. I will ask them questions frequently but it's never really enough to "just go for it" and converse in espanol lol. I do better when I'm forced into it Mexico and spanish is my only option. my ears start to pick it up way better when I'm in the country surrounded by it all day.

My son, being 14, is not yet comfortable in a public squat rack surrounded by yoga pants everywhere when attempting foreign ideas so we haven't really pushed it that far. in general I'd say no, his biggest fail is knees caving in and heels coming up, but I'm already seeing him fix that big time. I'd have to see your sons squat, generally speaking relaxing the lumbar is either from just not being aware of it or simply squatting too deep. I agree with Kleen, a buttwink in and of itself isn't an injury waiting to happen, where I have seen sorness (still not really an injury though) is guys relaxing their lower lumbar area deep in the squat like on a pause squat for a number of reps.

Love the idea of goblet squats as a squat substitute for now as well. good on you! (y)
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where not getting his butt out is causing the butt wink though.
Generally speaking the things I'm watching first are knees, heels, and good mornings. From there I'm looking at bar path. even though I've gone away from high bar, I think it's fine but a common fail I see in newbs is a higher bar position with a low bar squat so what ends up happening is the barbell is more over their toes than mid foot at the bottom (= sore lower back).

the more I think it through it sounds like you're describing your son as maybe having a low bar position with more of a higher bar style squat?
I think it's mostly a lack of awareness for his lumbar spine...and I don't know the verbal cues for an 11 year old lol. This is with bodyweight squats also, so can't blame it on bar style yet. He's got the rest down pretty well...chest up, heels down, don't let knees cave (in line with toes), just that tail tuck left.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Deads
8 x 135, 225
1 x 325, 375, 415, 455, 485 (PR)
5 x 365
8 x 315

Bb Rows (supinated)
10 x 135, 165
6 x 185
10 x 135

Tbar rows
4 sets

Superset with EZ bar curls
4 x 10 x 70

Notes
Wife's surgery is tomorrow so we are a bit distracted. House has been full of people since Thanksgiving but I wanted to sneak in and see if I could get my brain back into game mode after a few reps.

IntraWO notes:
I cant believe how fast 415 moved.
Holy crap, just hit 455 so fast like butter.

It killed me to not just reach for 500 in that last rep but I knew TAKE THE PR.

That's how good 455 felt.

Once again nailing PRs on an anabolic effect cycle.

Deficits for the win.
Screenshot_2023-12-04-15-54-24-41_801c3494cc30bc6d615367769f98046d.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
And thanks homie, the pulls felt sweet as hell today.

There's a grinder PR, but then there's a clean PR and this one felt hella clean despite also letting me know it was my top effort of the day.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Congrats on the PR! 500 shouldn’t be too far off now.

I think it's mostly a lack of awareness for his lumbar spine...and I don't know the verbal cues for an 11 year old lol. This is with bodyweight squats also, so can't blame it on bar style yet. He's got the rest down pretty well...chest up, heels down, don't let knees cave (in line with toes), just that tail tuck left.
It’s hard to diagnose the cause of butt wink in person, let alone online with not a ton of info, but here we go…

First is it even actual butt wink? Is the spine going from extended to neutral or actually going neutral to rounded. If he’s focusing on pushing back to far and hard or arching into it too much he may just be reverting back to neutral at a certain depth.

You could do quadruped hip rocker test to see if it’s an actual structural issue or mobility. If he can do the rocker fine it means it’s more likely an issue of coordination and stability.

1) you can hammer some front and side planks before and in between sets. Focus on really bracing the core. This should help teach the positions and tension required to hold the right position. I often have people do these when they first learn squats as a superset.

2) You mentioned goblet, but loading anteriorly is my first go to when learning to squat. He can even push the weight out a little in front to force slightly more upright posture and force bracing the core more.

3) Next you could just start with a high box tap and work his way down to lower positions as he gains control and can maintain further. Set it where he would start to wink and work there and lower slightly as he gets better. Can be done with out a box as well just being conscious of consistent depths with good back position before moving on.

Hope that helps, there’s a few other ideas, but tough without knowing his leverages and seeing or visualizing it better.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Congrats on the PR! 500 shouldn’t be too far off now.

It’s hard to diagnose the cause of butt wink in person, let alone online with not a ton of info, but here we go…

First is it even actual butt wink? Is the spine going from extended to neutral or actually going neutral to rounded. If he’s focusing on pushing back to far and hard or arching into it too much he may just be reverting back to neutral at a certain depth.

You could do quadruped hip rocker test to see if it’s an actual structural issue or mobility. If he can do the rocker fine it means it’s more likely an issue of coordination and stability.

1) you can hammer some front and side planks before and in between sets. Focus on really bracing the core. This should help teach the positions and tension required to hold the right position. I often have people do these when they first learn squats as a superset.

2) You mentioned goblet, but loading anteriorly is my first go to when learning to squat. He can even push the weight out a little in front to force slightly more upright posture and force bracing the core more.

3) Next you could just start with a high box tap and work his way down to lower positions as he gains control and can maintain further. Set it where he would start to wink and work there and lower slightly as he gets better. Can be done with out a box as well just being conscious of consistent depths with good back position before moving on.

Hope that helps, there’s a few other ideas, but tough without knowing his leverages and seeing or visualizing it better.
That's a great start, thanks. We'll implement after he's done with his current run of the flu 😔

Almost 100% certain his spine is going from neutral to rounded, for the record.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Deads
8 x 135, 225
1 x 325, 375, 415, 455, 485 (PR)
5 x 365
8 x 315

Bb Rows (supinated)
10 x 135, 165
6 x 185
10 x 135

Tbar rows
4 sets

Superset with EZ bar curls
4 x 10 x 70

Notes
Wife's surgery is tomorrow so we are a bit distracted. House has been full of people since Thanksgiving but I wanted to sneak in and see if I could get my brain back into game mode after a few reps.

IntraWO notes:
I cant believe how fast 415 moved.
Holy crap, just hit 455 so fast like butter.

It killed me to not just reach for 500 in that last rep but I knew TAKE THE PR.

That's how good 455 felt.

Once again nailing PRs on an anabolic effect cycle.

Deficits for the win. View attachment 238393
Oh man... you're so close! Congrats!