• Established
Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
inda11

inda11

Awards
I do intermittent fasting all week then on weekend end up drinking way to much!

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
I feel like a pig! This just doesn't feel right! Im convinced that it works tho

Johnnyboy004

Johnnyboy004

Awards
I do intermittent fasting all week then on weekend end up drinking way to much!
Haha. Yeah, not only does the booze ruin a weeks worth of hard work, but then it will also cause you to eat all types of food late night that makes it even worse.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
it has to to be the GH increase... I cant understand it... I am eating the same amount/food per week that i have been eating for months and my lifts are up. I feel leaner - look leaner- weight is dropping slowly.

inda11

inda11

Awards
Haha. Yeah, not only does the booze ruin a weeks worth of hard work, but then it will also cause you to eat all types of food late night that makes it even worse.
Yeah it totally kills the fasting hours aswell. Then when i have hang over i can't eat anything

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So guys I have a few questions. I know there are several calculations for calories but what do you all use. I am getting .75-1g of protein per lb and equal or slightly less carbs and about .5g/lb fat or less. I have lost 33 pounds as of today, I am very strong compared to my weight but no were near my prime. I want to bulk up a little more but finish cutting what's left of my lower belly fat. My arms and back and chest and legs are more cut than ever, stomach is lean but not enough.

Is it a matter of time til I finish burning the fat, or do I need to change my nutrient proportions, or do specific exercises for te belly fat, because if I remember correctly there are 3 types of fat and the lower stomach is hard to get because it has large deposits of a certain kind. I'm a bit rusty since I have been off the forums a while.

Anyways I am gaining strength and muscle, would it be more beneficial to up carbs or protein at this point to accelerate some muscle growth. I think I am around 2000-2500 calories. But I estimate that between the gym and my job I burn around 600 a day plus normal maintainence. I am thinking my calories are too low, but like I said I am really trying to trim the test of the lower belly fat.

Ref: body weight is 170, 5 foot 9 frame. I'm mesomorphic, I can play with my body weight easily which is awesome. I bulked to 200 then cut to 170, but I really only wanted to go to around 180, but I guess my body decided what my lean weight was. Not my imagination.

Thanks for any advice guys. Also my Lg has been gym fasted at around 10-11 then eat after, big meal. Snack mid day, then supper. Then drink water for the rest of night til bed. Gettif 16-17 hours of fast or more some days. I have cut so much I hate the side view of myself because I am so thin now!

ToNNNNyT

Awards
Sup guys got a cut coming up and I was wondering what you were thinking of my macros:

Workout day: 355p/150c/67f
Total cals : 2623

Rest day: 330p/105c/70f
Total cals : 2378

My carb break down is this for workout days : 35% of total carbs intake 90-120mins before my workout,45% in my post workout meal and 20% in my 1st meal(however I was thinking about making this a intraworkout shake)

Its my carb break down for rest days that I'm struggling with though as I cant bit figure out a breakdown that would allow me to eat enough fat per meal to hit my marcos but not cause increases in fatty acid transport into adipose tissue from the insulin spike.

As I'll be IF'ing my eating window with be probably be 2pm to 10pm to allow for carb backloading.

Oh my weight is 237lb at 18%-20% bf(Thats a pure guess as I can see the outline of my abs and obliques as well as upper abs.
Oh yeah and my goal is to drop down to 8%bf so thats about 30-35lb of weight to drop(maybe less as I hope to hold onto my mass)

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap.. TOO much info on this thread for my country ass to understand..

ToNNNNyT

Awards
if you are natural, then thats a little low in fats imo
I'm going to assume that you are talking to me considering that the person above me also posted a question about his fat intake.

Yeah i'm natural,would you suggest that I drop the protein intake and bump the fat intake up or drop the carbs instead?

Also what fat intake would you recommend?

inda11

inda11

Awards
Will a longer fast 24 to 36 hr fast benefit me or will i be increasing my chance of burning muscle as fuel?

Vipersg123

Vipersg123

Awards
  • Established
Longer fasts here and there are fine, you won't have to worry about "burning muscle as fuel"

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Eat stop eat. Very well researched by Brad Pilon.

Flexappeal

Awards
  • Established
Just tried protein fluff, good stuff!! and filling too!

On another note,
I did all my calculations on rippedbody web site...I don't know why but this doesn't look right to me, but i know i did the calcs. right...

here's how it looks:

Rest Day --- 2000 cal/180+PRO/>125CHO/80FAT

Train Day --- 2800 Cal/240PRO/300CHO/50FAT

right now I'm laid off, i usually add 200 calories to the protocol when I'm back at work. Im an electrician so I burn a lot during the workday, 200 may even be too low for addition.

I also noticed it was hard to stay low fat on train days without going to overboard with CHO or PRO?

Johnnyboy004

Johnnyboy004

Awards

On another note,
I did all my calculations on rippedbody web site...I don't know why but this doesn't look right to me, but i know i did the calcs. right...

here's how it looks:

right now I'm laid off, i usually add 200 calories to the protocol when I'm back at work. Im an electrician so I burn a lot during the workday, 200 may even be too low for addition.

I also noticed it was hard to stay low fat on train days without going to overboard with CHO or PRO?
I dont think thats an exact science. I think it's a good tool to find a baseline for you. I am pretty insulin sensitive for example. So even complex carbs are something I need to be careful with. Jmo.

Sucks too, because I love bread and pasta.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards

On another note,

here's how it looks:

Keep protein consistent. Drop carbs to ONLY veggies and all fats are from meats on non training days

inda11

inda11

Awards
As you get leaner and weight decreases do you keep adjusting your macros?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Eat all starchy carbs post workout to control glycogen stores and recovery. All other meals are protein, fat and veg

ToNNNNyT

Awards
As you get leaner and weight decreases do you keep adjusting your macros?
Then nutrient timing comes into play (be it carb backloading, or spacing meals 4-5 hours apart or placing most of your carbs around a workout etc)

Then after that when it really starts to slow then adjust your marcos(or increase cardio however most people tend to go overboard with the cardio)

inda11

inda11

Awards
Then nutrient timing comes into play (be it carb backloading, or spacing meals 4-5 hours apart or placing most of your carbs around a workout etc)

Then after that when it really starts to slow then adjust your marcos(or increase cardio however most people tend to go overboard with the cardio)
Is timing important? I thought the whole point with lean gains is the flexibility you have in it so it doesn't actually feel like a planned diet more just a way of life.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Is timing important? I thought the whole point with lean gains is the flexibility you have in it so it doesn't actually feel like a planned diet more just a way of life.
When u wana get into the nitty gritty sub 8%, timing is probably the key factor.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Carbs are a NON essential macro.
We used them to recover and build muscle.
This is why carbs post can be beneficial at this timing.

Do what feels good for you.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It depends on the current state of your diet at that point, imo.

All that stuff may not even be needed for your situation.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quite honestly I have nothing to prove.. ;) I don't like having my pics floating around on line.

Kleen, DW, and numerous other vets have seen my pics. I do exist.
I can vouch for this guy. From just the few pics I have seen, "Frank" has one of the most impressive physiques I have seen ever grace a forum. But like he says, he has nothing to prove. He is one of the few on a short list of people (DW, Kleen, and a couple others) on this forum that I will listen to every word they say for a reason.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
For those that have tried alternate day fasting, how did you find it compared to lean gains? I'm making the switch today

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can vouch for this guy. From just the few pics I have seen, "Frank" has one of the most impressive physiques I have seen ever grace a forum. But like he says, he has nothing to prove. He is one of the few on a short list of people (DW, Kleen, and a couple others) on this forum that I will listen to every word they say for a reason.
Aww shucks lol thanks.

For those that have tried alternate day fasting, how did you find it compared to lean gains? I'm making the switch today
I never did that but I've done extended fasts before. 36hrs once a week when I was deep into dieting.

I like straight fasting better personally.

What's bringing on the switch?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I guess that Frank guy knows a thing or 1,000 lol, thanks for the kind words my friend.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My physique sucks, but it's because I'm a lazy alcoholic.

Adf is nice for fat loss, difficult to schedule as you lose some benefit unless you truly alternate days long term. It's a drag because you eat mon wed fri sun tues thurs sat and repeat

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think I will ever do ADF, but when trying to diet down I do love the extended fasts once or twice a week for accelerated fat loss.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I don't think I will ever do ADF, but when trying to diet down I do love the extended fasts once or twice a week for accelerated fat loss.
Is there a link to this protocol been doin leangains and love it but lookin to switch it up a bit due to my self diagnosed ADD i cant do one thing for a long period of time i end up sitting at mcdonalds waiting for 5 double cheeseburgers like im doin right now

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Aww shucks lol thanks.

I never did that but I've done extended fasts before. 36hrs once a week when I was deep into dieting.

I like straight fasting better personally.

What's bringing on the switch?
I'm just curious, i'm going to train eod and fast eod for 24 hours then brake the fast with a low calorie ie 400 or so meal.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is there a link to this protocol been doin leangains and love it but lookin to switch it up a bit due to my self diagnosed ADD i cant do one thing for a long period of time i end up sitting at mcdonalds waiting for 5 double cheeseburgers like im doin right now
That's a good way to spin your wheels, quite honestly.

I'm fairly ADD with things, and like to experiment on myself but when something is working and more importantly you can say things like "I love it" you are likely better off just staying the course. If anything small changes.

If it ain't broke. Yadda yadda.

I'm just curious, i'm going to train eod and fast eod for 24 hours then brake the fast with a low calorie ie 400 or so meal.
Got ya. Well good luck. I think you'll be back lol.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
The hardest part about ADF is getting the calories in on your feed days. After a day of fasting your stomach will start to shrink, not a ton, but it adds up. It gets harder and harder to eat 5-7k calories on feed days. Then you start snacking on sugar all day... This in turn leads to some hella cravings on your fasted days...

Also, you would want to make sure you workout very early on your feed day for maximum nutrient utilization. Protein intake becomes very tough as well 400ish grams in a day is not easy for most people.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
That's a good way to spin your wheels, quite honestly.

I'm fairly ADD with things, and like to experiment on myself but when something is working and more importantly you can say things like "I love it" you are likely better off just staying the course. If anything small changes.

If it ain't broke. Yadda yadda.

Got ya. Well good luck. I think you'll be back lol.
True true thanks frank

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The hardest part about ADF is getting the calories in on your feed days. After a day of fasting your stomach will start to shrink, not a ton, but it adds up. It gets harder and harder to eat 5-7k calories on feed days. Then you start snacking on sugar all day... This in turn leads to some hella cravings on your fasted days...

Also, you would want to make sure you workout very early on your feed day for maximum nutrient utilization. Protein intake becomes very tough as well 400ish grams in a day is not easy for most people.
Yeh, one of many reasons I don't think I will ever do it. The lean gains method of IF has worked beautifully for me, and I see no reason to change it to anything more extreme. If I had to do a contest prep or something, I may look at alternative strategies, but being fairly loose with lean gains I can still keep and maintain around 6% bodyfat

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established

I'm starting with 350g's protein/350g's carbs/70 fat for my macros on a feed day, i'm going to be running a log of MK677 for 3 months, apparently it increases appetite quite well so i'm not too worried at this point about getting my macros in.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeh, one of many reasons I don't think I will ever do it. The lean gains method of IF has worked beautifully for me, and I see no reason to change it to anything more extreme. If I had to do a contest prep or something, I may look at alternative strategies, but being fairly loose with lean gains I can still keep and maintain around 6% bodyfat
Yah can take LG to any level you want by making certain adjustments. You can play with fasting lengths etc...you can throw in 1 or 2 more extreme burn days. Plenty of ways to tweak it. You can steal cals off other days to have a refeed day and add activity to increase intake. I don't use activity at par. I designed a spreadsheet were I use a tollerance to calculate the percentage I want to employ activty in my diet. That way I can alter it based on my findings, right now I have it set at 50%... Another thing is to get the activity level for your lifestyle in cals. I use these as changeable levels in my program as well. Right now I have it set to 1200 on wd's and 800 on non for my burn as an active person. This too can be adjusted to get a more accurate measurement. These numbers are used to develop and algorithm from my personal experiences. The calorie levels are calculated from the IF caclulator and fed into my spreadsheet with my activity and calories consumed.

dfrancin

Awards
I'd really appreciate if some of you IF bro's can come help a noob out with my log!! Thanks

It's called Dave's Killer Stack! It won't let me post the link since i'm under 50 posts :(

Thx in advance!

Johnnyboy004

Johnnyboy004

Awards
Damn 6% is an impressive goal to achieve. Well, impressive for putting on all that muscle and not just being a skinny guy. What macros do you try to hit each day?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
id try teh ADF but i really dont think id be alble to sleep

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Man I have so much to learn but I really want to give this a go in a couple weeks. I just get confused about the whole macro thing. geez its like information overload.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man I have so much to learn but I really want to give this a go in a couple weeks. I just get confused about the whole macro thing. geez its like information overload.
It's not confusing. Get 1g/lb of protein, at least 50g of good fats. The rest past that you have to experiment to find what works best for your individual biochemistry

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
It's not confusing. Get 1g/lb of protein, at least 50g of good fats. The rest past that you have to experiment to find what works best for your individual biochemistry
You say at least 50g fat but on the ripped body site for helping with macros it says fat between 20-40 on training days and double on rest days for example i follow 30g wo days and 60 off days

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You say at least 50g fat but on the ripped body site for helping with macros it says fat between 20-40 on training days and double on rest days for example i follow 30g wo days and 60 off days
I just think for overall health its better to stay higher than that. The RDA for fats is 65g a day for a 2000 cal diet, with 20g from saturated. And its the saturated that really counts, as that is what is the raw substrate for hormone production