SilentBob's (no-drama) chatroom

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's called Hellenism and the borrowing of foreign technologies was not a new idea. The Persians did it centuries before with the building of Pasargade, Susa, Persepolis, etc. They usually imported workers from around the empire to help with the construction of their projects.

If only people would take more of the Persian philosophies today...
Which is why they call it the Hellenistic period...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the persian people as a whole had it going on-but like america today-the leaders at the top are fools.
The main problem was that Cyrus didn't establish a strong heir to the throne. His two sons Cambyses and Bardiya really fumbled during this critical time and it took far too long before a well-suited leader, Darius I, abdicated the throne.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The main problem was that Cyrus didn't establish a strong heir to the throne. His two sons Cambyses and Bardiya really fumbled during this critical time and it took far too long before a well-suited leader, Darius I, abdicated the throne.
i guess the same could be said of washington. this country has succeced in spite of our leaders.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate politics.

That is all.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hellenism is a Greek term and does no encompass the peak of the Persian empire.
I was speaking of the period directly following the hellenic which was during the macedonian occupation, yes Greece... called the hellenistic period. Where he word comes from I had assumed it was Greek but my knowledge of persian history is only for the interaction with Greece during the those two periods...

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was speaking of the period directly following the hellenic which was during the macedonian occupation, yes Greece... called the hellenistic period. Where he word comes from I had assumed it was Greek but my knowledge of persian history is only for the interaction with Greece during the those two periods...
I was merely stating that the idea now known as Hellenism is not exactly a Greek idea. There are a lot of romantic notions concerning Greece, but many of the things we know as Greek are from Persia. It's so sad that so few have any knowledge about these amazing people particularly Cyrus the Great (IMO one of the few that deserve the epithet of "The Great").

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was merely stating that the idea now known as Hellenism is not exactly a Greek idea. There are a lot of romantic notions concerning Greece, but many of the things we know as Greek are from Persia. It's so sad that so few have any knowledge about these amazing people particularly Cyrus the Great (IMO one of the few that deserve the epithet of "The Great").
yah I get you're drift and it must have been a great civilisation, an interesting study to be sure. I do feel kind of slighted that my knowledge is so one sided now that you mention it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yah I get you're drift and it must have been a great civilisation, an interesting study to be sure. I do feel kind of slighted that my knowledge is so one sided now that you mention it.
Over the past coupe of years, I've become really interested in ancient Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia. It gets a little confusing sorting out all of the tribes that were in this area (especially during the Akkadian Empire), but I've amassed a decent collection of works.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Over the past coupe of years, I've become really interested in ancient Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia. It gets a little confusing sorting out all of the tribes that were in this area (especially during the Akkadian Empire), but I've amassed a decent collection of works.
I love ancient history but don't do much reading anymore. Once in while I see a documentary on TV.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love ancient history but don't do much reading anymore. Once in while I see a documentary on TV.
At this point, I'd rather read history books than another damn research journal.

Check out Tom Holland's books called Rubicon and Persian Fire. Amazing.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
At this point, I'd rather read history books than another damn research journal.

i forget the authors name, but fingerprints of the gods was interesting.

han**** i think was his name?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i forget the authors name, but fingerprints of the gods was interesting.

han**** i think was his name?
Yeah, that's him. I bought that for my fiancee last Valentine's and she loved it. She really wants to go see the Nazca lines.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Thanks maybe I'll check those out....

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, that's him. I bought that for my fiancee last Valentine's and she loved it. She really wants to go see the Nazca lines.
yeah graham han****-that guy lives a very interesting life. goes into the field to research his books-he is in good shape for his age.

the nasca lines are fascinating-i don't blame her for wanting to see them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah graham han****-that guy lives a very interesting life. goes into the field to research his books-he is in good shape for his age.

the nasca lines are fascinating-i don't blame her for wanting to see them.
Have you read Chariots of the Gods?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Have you read Chariots of the Gods?
oh yeah, but von daniken deals more in theories-han**** presents facts, imo. very worthwhile read, it's been awhile i may have to look at it again.

big fan of issac asimov too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh yeah, but von daniken deals more in theories-han**** presents facts, imo. very worthwhile read, it's been awhile i may have to look at it again.

big fan of issac asimov too.
They both present a good showcase as far as presenting unexplained things during an era that construction and/or architecture of that level seems absurd.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hellenism is a Greek term and does no encompass the peak of the Persian empire.
Hellenism is not a persian related term as a matter of fact. It relates to Greece after the death of Alexander

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
They both present a good showcase as far as presenting unexplained things during an era that construction and/or architecture of that level seems absurd.
i agree conventional science has done a piss poor job of explaining the ancient world. besides it's fun to read out of the box theories and explanations. when i was in college in the phillipines theology was mandatory-i was reading asimov's guide to the old testament and drove the nuns nuts.:veryhappy:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Graham Han**** is the author. He did a documentary years back with some preety amazing info that ties back all of the ancient civilizations to at least one older and more advanced civilization that peaked prior to the end of the last ice age. They used a few computer simulations that kept going back to 10,500bce, which was a time the egyptians refer to as "Zep Tepi"

I love ancient history, I have taught about it for years

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hellenism is not a persian related term as a matter of fact. It relates to Greece after the death of Alexander
I never said it was a Persian term. I was merely stating the idea of "Hellenism" did not necessarily originate in Greece.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said it was a Persian term. I was merely stating the idea of "Hellenism" did not necessarily originate in Greece.
I understand. I was just clarifying how it was used most commonly in history. In essence it really is during the fall/decline of greece

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand. I was just clarifying how it was used most commonly in history. In essence it really is during the fall/decline of greece
I would have loved to read 1/10th of the knowledge within the Library of Alexandria or even the Library of Baghdad before it was destroyed by Hulagu.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have loved to read 1/10th of the knowledge within the Library of Alexandria or even the Library of Baghdad before it was destroyed by Hulagu.
there is so much lost information it is mind boggling. Very sad. The Egyptians and many Mesopotamian civilizations were great record keepers and had such great knowledge to pass on.

One can only imagine what they knewe that we still in 2010 cant figure out

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hell i would have loved to see the hidden secrets in the baghbad museum before everything was carted off before our guys got there. speaking of secret knowledge, imagine an all access pass to the vatican.

i believe a lot of knowledge exists that we are not aware of.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hell i would have loved to see the hidden secrets in the baghbad museum before everything was carted off before our guys got there. speaking of secret knowledge, imagine an all access pass to the vatican.

i believe a lot of knowledge exists that we are not aware of.
the vatican has so much info and knows so much. What I am interested in is Pope Leo X. He knew quite a bit

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the vatican has so much info and knows so much. What I am interested in is Pope Leo X. He knew quite a bit
i have heard some fantastical stories about things hidden in the vatican-including a time machine. along with an actual photo of jesus on the cross!!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have heard some fantastical stories about things hidden in the vatican-including a time machine. along with an actual photo of jesus on the cross!!!
a photo? that would be crazy (of course need a time machine for that)

I think there is alot out there in many places around the world that house special information not for the eyes of the general public. I am convinced that there is much more to Khufu's pyramid in Giza after the shafts were shown with the video cameras. Damn Zahi Hawass I hate the f***er

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
a photo? that would be crazy (of course need a time machine for that)

I think there is alot out there in many places around the world that house special information not for the eyes of the general public. I am convinced that there is much more to Khufu's pyramid in Giza after the shafts were shown with the video cameras. Damn Zahi Hawass I hate the f***er
hawass is going to hide anything that shows early egyptians were not solely responsible. hell he could have an actual craft hidden-and you could bet no one would say a word-that guy is a one man gestapo unit.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hawass is going to hide anything that shows early egyptians were not solely responsible. hell he could have an actual craft hidden-and you could bet no one would say a word-that guy is a one man gestapo unit.
He knows too much, and will never tell anything. Some of the heiros at dendur, as well as the seismographic results at Giza, and the queens chamber shaft video are all a part.

You are right he is a mean SOB

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
He knows too much, and will never tell anything. Some of the heiros at dendur, as well as the seismographic results at Giza, and the queens chamber shaft video are all a part.

You are right he is a mean SOB
he is asking that everything egyptian from around the world be returned-good luck on that one.

all the secrets are hidden away, and you can bet hawass will never share. he has assembled a goon squad hitler and stalin would be proud of.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ancient texts are uber intriguing to me.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What area of secrecy is Hawass privy to exactly?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Wow...I want to learn more. Is there a book about all these hidden Egyptian mysteries? I've heard some pretty fantastical ones regarding the Vatican as well. Can either of you point me in the right direction (no google please:) )

If only we knew 1/5 of what was burned in the library of Alexandria...maybe the Vatican has copies?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What area of secrecy is Hawass privy to exactly?
i bet he has all the ancient egyptian AND some hebrew secrets stowed away. seriously, the guy is very selfish and stingy, not to mention a showboater. the spinx was said to contain ancient texts and some even say alexander stashed some texts there.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow...I want to learn more. Is there a book about all these hidden Egyptian mysteries? I've heard some pretty fantastical ones regarding the Vatican as well. Can either of you point me in the right direction (no google please:) )

If only we knew 1/5 of what was burned in the library of Alexandria...maybe the Vatican has copies?
i bet he has all the ancient egyptian AND some hebrew secrets stowed away. seriously, the guy is very selfish and stingy, not to mention a showboater. the spinx was said to contain ancient texts and some even say alexander stashed some texts there.
Alexander from legend had many ancient maps that we copied many times over. I would recommend taking a look at the Piiri Reis map for those interested. It is said that Columbus knew America was there prior to his "discovery".

In terms of what else Hawass has, I would say that much of the anceint technologies that were used around the world (Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Mesoamerica) were probably written down.

One that puzzles me to no end is puma punku is Bolivia. The only way these stones of that size could look this way is with diamond tipped drills, or the melted the stone (I think the had a technology for melting the stone and reforming it). See Tiawanku for an image of that as well. Here is a pic of Tiwanaku

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
like i said modern science has done a piss poor job of explaining ancient mysteries. i saw this show where they were trying to use kites to move stones-they were convinced this is how they built the pyramids-it was a disaster, lol.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kites? Geez some of the ceiling stones in the kings chamber weighed in excess of 100tons.

Pretty hefty kites :lol:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Kites? Geez some of the ceiling stones in the kings chamber weighed in excess of 100tons.

Pretty hefty kites :lol:
exactly-and if i remember right they had a grant for the project-i guess it looked good on paper, lol.

these were professors not uneducated fools-so they were educated fools!!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I liked the theory of an ancient light house in Alexandria that was used in a manner to condense light through a series of mirrors and aimed at in coming enemy ships, which burned them down off the harbor, much like a laser beam.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I liked the theory of an ancient light house in Alexandria that was used in a manner to condense light through a series of mirrors and aimed at in coming enemy ships, which burned them down off the harbor, much like a laser beam.
i remember hearing of that back in hs.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alexandira was a hell of a city at the time of the Romans. It was a huge hub, and was a huge get for Ptolemy after Alexander died

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Alexandira was a hell of a city at the time of the Romans. It was a huge hub, and was a huge get for Ptolemy after Alexander died
yeah, great catch-the damned romans burnt the library, lol. but not before getting important documents i bet-probably stored in the vatican now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, great catch-the damned romans burnt the library, lol. but not before getting important documents i bet-probably stored in the vatican now.

Indeed, they (vatican) know the truth about quite a bit. Damn it