KLEEN's Recovery and Cut Log = RLS Dermacrine, NTBM Gear and other goodies to start.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hello everyone, Great conversation in here. Yes staying lean is very important year round, however how lean is always to be determined by the individual. I feel sloppy in the 12-15% range due to the fat pockets under my chest and the loose skin from when I was a big boy.

Also I am going to have to disagree and happily this time with DW on the eating cleaner for a cut with the lean gains. I was recomping before but now I am definitely dropping fat fast enough to be considered a cut. I need to weigh myself tomorrow but I have lost 2 1/2 belt loops in the past 3 weeks since starting the diet. I would guess I am close to 195-196 right now so that would be 6-7 lbs since starting the diet and filling up that first week so that is about 2 lbs per week. The recomp effect was simply my muscle filling up with glycogen but now that the glycogen levels are more consistent the weight is coming off quickly. I am getting compliments from everywhere. Women are turning around to stare at me when I walk by. I have not noticed this in a while. Young hot ones too! WooHoo! Multiple guys in the gym have been commenting now about how lean I am getting and that I look like I am growing a too. I credit that to the fullness and the fact I may still be experincing some muscle memory. I eat a bad meal just about every weight workout day and one on Sunday as well.

I was 198 last time I weighed in and was looking pretty good I feel I have lost about 2 lbs since then.

Today workout treadmill 45 minutes 512 calories, then for my walk at lunch I walked the bayou for about 3.5 miles and did 3 stops to do 20 step ups per leg and a set of 30 pushups for a total of 60 step ups per leg and 90 pushups.

Be back when i get home for further discussion and updates.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is great news man on the progress. I think this has become my current favorite thread. I'm learning so much in here its not funny. Great job Kleen!!

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Looking good...cant wait for the updates!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To continue, If I were actually trying to do a Prep I am not sure what the effect would be right now fat loss and muscle maintenance if not growing a little is the result while losing weight relatively rapidly. My weight days are about calories and my cardio days are all about leaning up. He is very big on eating for exactly what you are trying to accomplish at that moment, IE not over a period of time but specifically at that time.

I would agree with DW that for a Prep one would probably want to keep things a lot cleaner however I have plenty of time before I do any more shows to get this down. I am actually thinking of starting a Lean Gains log and keeping up with it as a learning tool for anyone who doesn't want to spend the that ludicrous amount for info that will surely be in the book for at most $50.00 when it comes out. If so I will try different methods and approaches over the course of 4-6 weeks and rate it and comment on the differences I notice.

Josh, I will go have a look at iron addict and see what you are talking about. Right now I couldn't be happier with my results. I said 2 weeks ago I though I would be able to see abs in 4 weeks. I am still inline to see that in that time frame. They are playing shadow games now. My good side is showing the cuts, my serratus and obliques are showing pretty good and my skin is loosening up from the quick weight loss. It will begin tightening up here in a week or so if my weight loss slows.

I notice a lot of the visceral fat is gone now and I only have a little sub q to go to have those abs. I am thinking right around 185 I should look MONEY! I may have even built myself back up to the picture in my Avitar which was before my 2 year plague of injuries. I was 181.5 there and 5.25% I am thinkin I should have a heck of a set of abs by the time I hit 185.

The good news coming from this shoulder injury is my elbow has not even showed ANY sign of the old nagging tendonitis so the time off while waiting for the surgery, and recovering definitely did some good for them.

Vascularity is like a road map once I eat or before I eat when I had higher carbs the day before they look like a road map going down my arms and my calves. Shoulder vein I love so much is showing more branches of veins going off of the main one. I even saw a vein in my quad the other day after cardio. So I know I am getting leaner. I just took my measurement after having eaten twice today my waist above my navel is down to 34 1/8 inch down from right at 36 and the 36 was fasted so things are definitely going my way.

I am also finding it WAY easier to get my water in. I just drink a lot more in the mornings during the fast than I was before which has put me close to 1.5-2 gallons a day instead of about 1 gallon.

Rick, I have to admit this diet is so liberating and truly effective. I am sure you will enjoy it. You can definitely get away with more than you would in a regular diet but also keep in mind that many of the meals I am having are still mostly relatively clean. Just not anything I would normally eat while cutting weight. My splurge on spaghetti is 93/7 lean ground turkey and whole grain pasta, and what not but definitely 2 -3 meals a week are me eating what I want for a meal. I had a triple meat jalapeño burger from sonic. Now that isn't a 2-3 time a week thing but you get the drift. one day was a nice size peice of pizza and 75 grams of whey protein. So mix and match works really well. Keeping moderation in ind with the freedom and this diet works, no questions asked even if you don't count calories. I am really enjoying it with estimations at this point. When I am ready to turn up the heat I will but right now fat is melting off without counting cals and anyone who knows me and my style convenience and efficiency of workouts is my thing. I love lifting but I want to dedicate as little time the diet as I have too. I know a lot about nutrition and I learned so I could formulate my own plans or take something presented to me and be able to understand how to modify or simply apply it to myself in the most convenient way.

Last edited:
BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff kleen. That burger from sonic sounds amazing :D

The lean gains log would be great buddy. I'm interested!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello everyone, Great conversation in here. Yes staying lean is very important year round, however how lean is always to be determined by the individual. I feel sloppy in the 12-15% range due to the fat pockets under my chest and the loose skin from when I was a big boy.

Also I am going to have to disagree and happily this time with DW on the eating cleaner for a cut with the lean gains. I was recomping before but now I am definitely dropping fat fast enough to be considered a cut. I need to weigh myself tomorrow but I have lost 2 1/2 belt loops in the past 3 weeks since starting the diet. I would guess I am close to 195-196 right now so that would be 6-7 lbs since starting the diet and filling up that first week so that is about 2 lbs per week. The recomp effect was simply my muscle filling up with glycogen but now that the glycogen levels are more consistent the weight is coming off quickly. I am getting compliments from everywhere. Women are turning around to stare at me when I walk by. I have not noticed this in a while. Young hot ones too! WooHoo! Multiple guys in the gym have been commenting now about how lean I am getting and that I look like I am growing a too. I credit that to the fullness and the fact I may still be experincing some muscle memory. I eat a bad meal just about every weight workout day and one on Sunday as well.

I was 198 last time I weighed in and was looking pretty good I feel I have lost about 2 lbs since then.

Today workout treadmill 45 minutes 512 calories, then for my walk at lunch I walked the bayou for about 3.5 miles and did 3 stops to do 20 step ups per leg and a set of 30 pushups for a total of 60 step ups per leg and 90 pushups.

Be back when i get home for further discussion and updates.
You fugger!! eatin all that good chow and gettin away with it while I suffer!! You sonofabitch!! I want fuggin details!! not time for me to experiment but I will probably adopt this plan and try and perfect it when this prep is over. Sounds like the answer to my prayers... I believe you though 1st well it's Chris and he is very straight and second I have had some success with similar diets but never had the balls to experiment further. Plus I was missing some pieces...:think:

Oh and I pretty sure I have this carb up think licked, I mean it was right there in front of my face all along. 8 hours 800 grams and I spill over just a bit the next day I look good. I just have to stop the carb up about 12 hours before. It's a mixture of medium and high glycemic carbs. Potatoes, pasta, bagels, frozen yogurt and rice. I even put chocolate sauce on the yogurt. Just have to keep the fat low with all those carbs...

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I appreciate all the info Kleen. I'll 2nd what Barbell Beast said and agree that a Lean Gains thread would be a very good idea. It would be beneficial to a lot of people and I think it would blow up due to the interest in it. I know how limited you are lately on time and such, but there is a lot of benefit in a thread like that with your knowledge and experience behind it.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this thread keeps delivering the goods.I agree the lean gains log interests me

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seems like some of the NTBM lineup would fit well with Lean Gains.

Gear during the fasted period and with meals.
Need2Slin before evening gorging.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That burger from sonic sounds amazing
eatin all that good chow and gettin away with it. Potatoes, pasta, bagels, frozen yogurt and rice. I even put chocolate sauce on the yogurt. Just have to keep the fat low with all those carbs...
I really don't fancy these foods anymore. Honestly. I guess I've been eating clean too long. LMAO

Just pass me a steak and some asparagus and I'm a happy chappy.
Or steak and black beans. I feel all "cowboy" when I eat that. :laughing:

The only thing that lures me away is a little dark chocolate from time to time. :sad6:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really don't fancy these foods anymore. Honestly. I guess I've been eating clean too long. LMAO

The only thing that lures me away is a little dark chocolate from time to time. :sad6:
Refeeds have there value though...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
this thread keeps delivering the goods.I agree the lean gains log interests me
Yeah it is nice we will see here in about a month or so I will go get blood work to see how this is affecting lipids and what not.
Seems like some of the NTBM lineup would fit well with Lean Gains.

Gear during the fasted period and with meals.
Need2Slin before evening gorging.
Yes the better protein bars are great for a nice bump in calories and protein without being so full you want to hurl.

You know TG I was in a bind and needed some food quick to break a fast. However I truly enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more if it were a large turkey or buffalo burger on whole wheat but the cool thing about it is that there is room for the leniency within reason. When I end up eating something like that I do adjust the rest of the day to reflect the portions.

Your meal you mentioned sounds more like my fast breaker today with carbs added in. 10 oz New York Strip, Fresh Green Beans, and a cup of cilantro rice. I was carbing today since it was a lift day.

What attracted me to the diet is that it is very easy to do and in order to get your calories in daily you almost have to choose calorie dense foods that would normally be a no-no on any other diet to cut. I have to be honest when I started it I thought it would be all hype but the proof is in the pudding. From 202 to 195 this morning in about 3 weeks, 2 inches lost in waist and my body is beginning to look like a Warrior again instead of a retired one. I have only lost 1/8 of an inch in my arms since I was 208 around Christmas and I wasn't looking all that great then.

Refeeds have there value though...
They sure do. The cool thing about nutrition is there are a lot of great ways to do things. For me to get in 250 grams of carbs in an 8 hour window I have to get in some simple carbs and some good fats.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah I will fill you in on todays workout tomorrow. I am going to spend time with my Queen now. Gotta have my priorities. ;)

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some nice progress Kleen. I'm wondering how bad my hunger is going to be for the couple hours leading up to the 8 hour window.

Also do you think Need2slin would still have use in a diet like this? I was wondering about it and want to use it but since this diet already increases insulin sensitivity, will there be any added benefit using it?

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some nice progress Kleen. I'm wondering how bad my hunger is going to be for the couple hours leading up to the 8 hour window.

Also do you think Need2slin would still have use in a diet like this? I was wondering about it and want to use it but since this diet already increases insulin sensitivity, will there be any added benefit using it?
Rick, here is how I am doing this and I am using Need2Slin and Aplha-T2 (and clen but that is besides the point ;) ).

Need2Slin - 3 per day, 1 upon waking, 1 before first meal, 1 before post workout meal
Alpha T2- 2 in AM, not enough to have more as I am almost out
PES Shift - 3-4 per day, afternoon dose and 2 pre-bed

The clen and coffee in the AM keep me fine all day until I break my fast though I have some BCAAs around 10 AM (almost time actually!) and sometimes I munch on the celery. Now that I don't have a morning dose of Epi, hunger is not so much an issue anymore. To give you an idea, I gained weight eating pretty lean on this, no more than 2800 cals on most days and continued to cut fat, there is something to this diet... :arms:

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rick, here is how I am doing this and I am using Need2Slin and Aplha-T2 (and clen but that is besides the point ;) ).

Need2Slin - 3 per day, 1 upon waking, 1 before first meal, 1 before post workout meal

The clen and coffee in the AM keep me fine all day until I break my fast though I have some BCAAs around 10 AM (almost time actually!) and sometimes I munch on the celery. Now that I don't have a morning dose of Epi, hunger is not so much an issue anymore. To give you an idea, I gained weight eating pretty lean on this, no more than 2800 cals on most days and continued to cut fat, there is something to this diet... :arms:
Thanks a lot for that info Oufinny. I have been considering adding AT-2 in when I start too, so its nice seeing how you are running things. I'm learning from you guys as you 2 are kinda the trend setters right now ;)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
good call.you don't wanna end up on the couch :puke:
You know that is right. We still fawn over each other after 10 years. Makes a lot of couples sick. I love that about us, people ask if we just got together or just got married, but it is just the way we are.

Well Need2slin has some awesome ingredients and although the fasting increases insulin sensitivity I can see where it could be used especially for the fast breaking meal. In essence mostly to assist in increasing insulin sensitivity even farther. Perhaps ideal for someone who is TypeII diabetic or borderline. Now if this was not my main goal I don't think a partitioner is needed at all and right now I am not using one. However I can not say as far as how much more of an effect it would have. I would assume there would be some though for sure.

As far as hunger your Ghrelin release runs in cycles and conditions itself to your feeding patterns. I think it took me about 3-4 days and then the hunger was not an issue at all until eating time. Now I did get very hungrey those first days but honestly the hunger only lasted about 10-15 minutes and when I just waited it out it went away. However I get hungry when it is time to eat for sure!!! I tend to go for my walk at lunch then come back and have my meal. Just to get the activity up, burn that last bit of fat then while my body has been worked a bit hit it with the nutrient bomb! KABOOM FOOD!!!! Today was 12 oz of turkey meatloaf, 1 whole wheat bagel with 2 tbls strawberry preserves, low fat cream cheese, and a cup and a half of spinach. My last meal was 10 oz lean steak cooked on foreman grill, and another ton of spinach. I am going to put back just a little more her shortly since I missed a meal earlier with work being so busy. I didn't even have time to make a blueberry chocolate protein smoothie. I did however eat an extra 2 oz of almonds and shoot 15 grams of aminos since I had a cup of water at my desk, I just dumped the bcaa's in it swirled it around and slammed it to keep protein synthesis up.

If I were limited on money I might go with Gear instead since the SPP in it stays around in the intestines longer to be absorbed when needed. It can be added to the BCAA doses during the fast to have at least a tiny bit of protein particles available at all times during the fast.

Yead definitely something to this. I am sure I would be doing even better counting every tiny little thing but these foods are familiar to me I just know what I have in front of me within 200 cals for the day. However my suggestion which I am going to do soon is just get out what I need for the day and take 2/3 - 3/4 of it to work and eat it there and then have my finishing meal at the end of the day anything I didn't finish that day take home and eat with that last meal. Then I can adjust from there.

Thanks a lot for that info Oufinny. I have been considering adding AT-2 in when I start too, so its nice seeing how you are running things. I'm learning from you guys as you 2 are kinda the trend setters right now ;)
I don't know if we are trend setters, we are following a trend setter's plan for sure. I can only take credit for the researching I did and knowing my body as well as being willing to take the leap for the chance that something this freeing could possibly be effective. However honestly I am learning more about it even now. This truly is the only way I can have this much freedom. Carbs tend to be a nono for me on any other diet. I mean I eat 200 grams regularly and the fat will start to accumulate at these caloric levels. Not so here it is dropping rapidly.

Without going into it too much this was my workout from yesterday. All are 15 reps at a slower tempo and the ones I did not make it to 15 on have the reps listed.

Bench 95, 115, 155, 160x13 doing the push ups the day before effected weight used.
Standing Shoulder press 65, 95, 95x9
Dips bwx15, +5 x 15

This morning cardio 45 minutes on treadmill 509 cals, I am just putting it on manual and increasing the incline ever couple of minutes instead of the interval setting. I started it on 6.5 and ended it on 13.5 for the last 10-12 minutes. I read while walking so don't stare at the time.

Tomorrow I am going to do change to a push, pull routine which will get each one of them worked twice a week every other week. Should afford me enough recovery time as well as give my legs the attention I want to give them that and the wife has some goals for her squats and deads she wants to work on as well. This way I can Deadlift and Squat instead of only doing one.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna start a push/pull/legs routine here soon. I was thinking
Day 1 - chest/shoulders/triceps
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - legs/abs
Day 4 - rest
Repeat.
Similar to yours?

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - legs/abs
Day 4 - rest
Repeat.
Similar to yours?
I like that except day 1 looks like a hell of a lot for a workout.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - legs/abs
Day 4 - rest
Repeat.
Similar to yours?
Mine was completely seperated, tuesday push, thursday legs, Saturday Pull.
However I am going back to a Push Pull only workout.

Push workout will include
BB Flat Bench 2 warm ups 2 work sets, hammer strength incline 1 work set
standing shoulder press,1 warm up 2 work sets T-Cups (mix between front raises and lateral raises) 1 work set
Dips 2 work sets, L-Fly 1 work set ( overhead DB triceps ext but bring dumbbell across body to other shoulder and extend back up while reaching across the chest with non working arm holding near armpit for stability)
Leg Press1 warm up 2 work sets, Squats 1 warm up and one widow maker set.

Pull will be
Lat Pull Downs 2 warm ups and 2 worksets, Straight Arm Lat Pull 1 work set
Hammer or Inverted Rows 1 moderate weight warm up 1 work set. Incline DB Shrugs 1 work set.
BB Curls 2 work sets, DB Hammer Curls 1 work set
Dead Lifts 2 warm ups, 2 work sets, Standing Leg Curls 1 work set.

Progression will be Tues - Push, Thur - Pull, Sat - Push, Tues - Pull, Thurs -Push, Sat - Pull and so on... Cardio Mon-Wed-Fri, abs are done on cardio days. Calve work just not needed... I get it from jogging and my calves are beast mode naturally.

It looks like more than it is on paper. It comes down to basically 3 work sets per target area. However I love different angles so the single work sets on the secondary exercises will give me that variety while still keeping overall volume down. Once I can lift heavier the second exercises will probably be maximal effort high reps to shove blood into the already worked muscles and stretch fascia. Like as heavy as I can go 15-20 reps

I may change it up a bit as I go this is just a rough draft. I tend to like to get in and blaze through my workouts the exercise changes may end up annoying me. If so back to mostly compounds only I go.

Oh yes I did want to mention remember I said I measure my waist the other day but had already eaten. I measured this morning and 33 3/4 inches I was a bit over 36 starting so I am pretty happy for sure.
Doing planks the this morning I looked down my shirt and noticed the loose skin was now hanging down. I was getting a little frustrated before that because I had lost a lot of girth and weight and my abs weren't showing. But when I saw this it reminded me of my last major cut. When this happened I was right around the corner from prominent abs. I stood up in front of the mirror and pulled the skin a little tighter and sure enough all six of them were staring back out at me. Weird how much even a little loose skin softens your look up. I have to admit while the skin is catching up when bent over and gravity makes is droop a little it looks gross but I know it will catch up just like it did last time. With good posing you can not even see it like in my avatar. One day I may even take of pic of that while it is hanging just to show you all what I mean. Not ashamed of it, it is what it is. :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pull workout 3/24/11

I am really concentrating on keeping that tempo slower, weights are going up slowly and I am enjoying it. I have to admit the workout seemed a bit busy to me even though I enjoyed the different angles, I am removing the ancillary stuff and going with the minimalist approach and will simply alternate between an A and B Push and Pull workouts. So I get the angles in that I want. Although who knows if I am nice and sore tomorrow I may just roll with this but I am thinking even less volume honestly especially as the intensity rises. I plan to take it down to about 10-12 reps here in another couple weeks.

15 reps, 2-1-2 tempo

Lat Pull Downs 75, 120, 122.5
Straight arm Pull Down 60

HS Dorian Row 45, 50, 52.5
Incline Shrugs 55

BB Curls 50, 60
DB Hammer Curls 25x10

Deads 135, 225 185 grip failed hands have been very sweaty gonna get some chalk
Leg Curls 100

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried those incline shrugs, they felt good but different. I'm going to give them another shot.

Do you think they'd help a More Muscular pose more than regular shrugs?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I tried those incline shrugs, they felt good but different. I'm going to give them another shot.

Do you think they'd help a More Muscular pose more than regular shrugs?
I really don't know for sure. In my opinion the more area of a muscle worked, and having a better quality contraction is going to be a superior exercise for adding size so long as weight progression is the method of training.

Make sure to arch your back some. I found for me the best overall contraction came when I arched it just enough that the bottom ribs rested on the bench but not much of my chest. Also play with the angle as well. Find one that gives you what you feel the optimal contraction is and then start focusing on progressing in weight and the growth will come. This also works some of the posterior rotator cuff muscles that often gets neglected as
well as some of the other smaller muscles used to retract the back and shoulder girdle. Considering we almost all try to keep the shoulders from rolling forward during pulling movements these muscles are often only trained statically instead of through there range of motion. So this will add much detail to your back, a good back pose will win you a show over a good most muscular because honestly everybody and there brother has a good most muscular, not everyone has a YOKED and detailed back, and that wins shows.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cardio and progress update.

I am cutting up like a ginsu. Seems every couple days I notice a new line or separation. That or an existing one is deeper.

Cardio today Treadmill 45 minutes 483 cals, followed by 10 minute hip stretches in sauna. I pulled my hip flexer in my right leg a few years back and noticed it changed my gate a bit but it has been giving more issue as of late. The height of my roundhouses and side kicks with that leg is only about to where I could kick someone 5'9-5'10 in the chin, where I can firmly plant my left foot on a 6'3" mans chin without any problem. I noticed my right leg now tracks a little inside from the tightness. I didn't realize when I pulled it I would really need to work on stretching my hips more so as not to allow the favoring I did with it to effect the normal range of motion. So now I am trying to correct this by stretching my hips more frequently and what better time than after cardio, or place than in a hot sauna. That way I can not cool down during the stretching.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Push - 3/26/11

Had a nice workout today, I can't wait to be able to lower reps a little and go up in weight but todays workout was very productive and I felt like a champ seeing my reflection in the mirror. Finally for the first time in a while I got my legs to have that jello feeling by doing what I know to be best for me mixed with a favorite technique I learned from doing DC training. Weights are still going up and my shoulder is holding out very well. As a matter of fact I don't think I have felt any joint specific pain in some time. I do have re-conditioning pain in some of the muscles around the joint but it is VERY minor. However they are on both sides so I am confident it is simply from working muscles that had quite a while off during the pre-surgery and recovery phase and the ever increasing weight is slowly working on them.

Here is the workout you will notice it is nowhere near as busy however the work sets end up being pretty much the same.

All sets are 15 reps unless specified otherwise.

BB Flat Bench - 95, 135, 160x15, 165x14 - I only got 14 on 160 last time, so not too bad of a step up. Slow and steady increases are the goal and I am happy with this.

Standing Shoulder Press - 65, 75, 80 these were nice, I am pretty sure I will be up to 80 next week however getting some plate mates is going to be a necessity.

Dips - BW 15, 15, 9 was nice, I felt a little slipping of form on the 3rd set so I stopped there. The slower reps make everything so much harder , well that and just being out of condition for this from the surgery. I have found that my chest does not hurt if I only take my upper arms to parallel instead of sinking all the way into a stretch with the dips as I normally do. It is also what is recommended in the book I am reading that is about acquiring muscle mass safely. It is called Beyond Brawn II and I highly recommend it for anyone trying to learn

Leg Press - 4 plates, 10 plates, 12 plates, Finally Quad stimulation!!! Yes!
Squats - 75x15 just to get lower back awake, then a Widow Maker set of 20 with 225. This set probably took a good minute and a half to 2 minutes. Last 5 became staggered singles but of course never taking the bar off my back just taking a couple breathes and hitting another rep, taking a few more and another one until I got to 20. Was awesome and my legs were jello afterwards.

Oh Yeah good news my daughter fought in her first tournament today, she took 2nd place in her division for Sparring and 3rd in Kata. She was ahead of the girl who beat her in points but the girl was rushing her and when she would front kick her the force would sometimes knock her off balance and she would fall. Even though the other girl was not awarded points after 3 times they gave the match to the other girl on a foul out basis. That is okay she was 2 points ahead and if the front kicks that pushed the other girl halfway back across the mat hadn't knocked her down she would have taken her division EASILY. Now I just need to teach her to side step the rush and roundhouse into the bread basket when they do this and she will be a force to be reckoned with. She is only 7 so this is one heck of a start... Oh yeah she was the lowest belt in the division everyone else was a belt above her and she was the only one who had to fight as many times as she did.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cutting up like a ginsu huh!! Sounds awesome man, and once I get everything in place (I made an order today for some more BCAAs and other stuff) I'm going to start the lean gains up. I'm working on figuring out stuff like cals, macro ratios and such, and cardio too, but I am excited about this, especially hearing about the success you are having with it

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cutting up like a ginsu huh!! Sounds awesome man, and once I get everything in place (I made an order today for some more BCAAs and other stuff) I'm going to start the lean gains up. I'm working on figuring out stuff like cals, macro ratios and such, and cardio too, but I am excited about this, especially hearing about the success you are having with it
Yes Sir as a matter of fact my next post will be a summary of progress made from the beginning. I went back and captured my start dates, and places I mentioned weight and body fat and did some math to see exactly what 1 month on Lean Gains has brought to the table. Hit me up with your email and some stats, a little more about how you react to carbs and what not, your calorie intake I will give you some suggestions from the month of experience I have so far.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes Sir as a matter of fact my next post will be a summary of progress made from the beginning. I went back and captured my start dates, and places I mentioned weight and body fat and did some math to see exactly what 1 month on Lean Gains has brought to the table. Hit me up with your email and some stats, a little more about how you react to carbs and what not, your calorie intake I will give you some suggestions from the month of experience I have so far.

Will do bro. I appreciate the help!:arms:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Composition progress since beginning & starting Lean Gains

I was curious about a few things since I was so busy I had not kept track of what I was doing as much as I should. Sure I was posting it but not keeping track of dates of measurements or starting the new diet. So I went back and searched through this log to get some data. I will compile it below.

1/26/11 Start Date, 205 lbs, estimated 15% LBM 174.25, Fat 30.75 condition was normal carb intake, not full and not depleted. Waist 36.7 inches

2/21/11 calipered 13.4% @ 194 lbs, LBM 168, 26 Fat, condition lower carbs but not completely depleted average daily carb intake 150 grams

2/28/11 Start Lean Gains dietary approach - 194 lbs

3/27/11 calipered 10.9% @ 194 lbs, LBM 172.85, 21.146 Fat condition still lower carb but not depleted. Average carb intake 165-170 grams via alternating slow and higher carb days. I basically go back and forth between 180-220 grams of carbs on weight days and 100-120 on cardio days. I started out higher than this but have come down more since the first week and a half of starting this to something more comfortable to me personally. Waist measurement a dead on 33 inches. Down over 3 since the beginning.

Over all summary since I believe I was over 15% at the start of this I am not sure what the difference is here however 11 pounds have been lost.

Since I started using a caliper at that point we will go from the month during the Lean Gains approach.

From 2/28/11 to 3/27/11
Weight - 194 , 194 = no change
Body Fat - 13.4%, 10.9% = down 2.5%
Fat lbs - 26, 21.15 = down 4.85 lbs
LBM lbs - 168, 172.85 UP 4.85 lbs

Keep in mind I stopped using the Dermacrine before using this and I have been taking 1 Forged a day, on occasion adding in 1 Adderllin but really have been taking a VERY minimalistic approach on the other supps. I am using a yohimbine based transdermal every other day as well.

So I guess I stated this was a cut however this is the truest recompositioning effect I have ever experienced. The rate of fat loss is easily acceptable for a muscle retaining cut, however I am adding LBM at the exact same rate which is pretty awesome! Let's be honest here and say that no one would bother cutting if the recomp effects acted this quickly. I had 6 weeks of training prior to this that "should" have basically taken advantage of the muscle memory factor. However I will not discount that some of the progress could still have been from muscle memory however I was losing LBM on the other diet and not the other way around.

GUESS WHO IS STAYING WITH LEAN GAINS!!!!!!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LEAN GAINS looks amazing and your stats shows that. I did think that maybe some of your success may have come from the benefit of muscle memory initially, but if you look at what happened before you went on lean gains it tells a different story...I'm sold on it! :D

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was curious about a few things since I was so busy I had not kept track of what I was doing as much as I should. Sure I was posting it but not keeping track of dates of measurements or starting the new diet. So I went back and searched through this log to get some data. I will compile it below.

1/26/11 Start Date, 205 lbs, estimated 15% LBM 174.25, Fat 30.75 condition was normal carb intake, not full and not depleted. Waist 36.7 inches

2/21/11 calipered 13.4% @ 194 lbs, LBM 168, 26 Fat, condition lower carbs but not completely depleted average daily carb intake 150 grams

2/28/11 Start Lean Gains dietary approach - 194 lbs

3/27/11 calipered 10.9% @ 194 lbs, LBM 172.85, 21.146 Fat condition still lower carb but not depleted. Average carb intake 165-170 grams via alternating slow and higher carb days. I basically go back and forth between 180-220 grams of carbs on weight days and 100-120 on cardio days. I started out higher than this but have come down more since the first week and a half of starting this to something more comfortable to me personally. Waist measurement a dead on 33 inches. Down over 3 since the beginning.

Over all summary since I believe I was over 15% at the start of this I am not sure what the difference is here however 11 pounds have been lost.

Since I started using a caliper at that point we will go from the month during the Lean Gains approach.

From 2/28/11 to 3/27/11
Weight - 194 , 194 = no change
Body Fat - 13.4%, 10.9% = down 2.5%
Fat lbs - 26, 21.15 = down 4.85 lbs
LBM lbs - 168, 172.85 UP 4.85 lbs

Keep in mind I stopped using the Dermacrine before using this and I have been taking 1 Forged a day, on occasion adding in 1 Adderllin but really have been taking a VERY minimalistic approach on the other supps. I am using a yohimbine based transdermal every other day as well.

So I guess I stated this was a cut however this is the truest recompositioning effect I have ever experienced. The rate of fat loss is easily acceptable for a muscle retaining cut, however I am adding LBM at the exact same rate which is pretty awesome! Let's be honest here and say that no one would bother cutting if the recomp effects acted this quickly. I had 6 weeks of training prior to this that "should" have basically taken advantage of the muscle memory factor. However I will not discount that some of the progress could still have been from muscle memory however I was losing LBM on the other diet and not the other way around.

GUESS WHO IS STAYING WITH LEAN GAINS!!!!!!
First off Impressive work Chris.

I was just about to say the same thing RickRock13 said about muscle memory. You did come off shoulder surgery and the poundage decreased then you increased it again.

Yes I think many bodybuilders in this situation would keep body fat the same instead of leaning out because of the dreaded losing some muscle with leaning out and you knew muscle memory would happen so you took full advantage of this situation and got the best of both worlds. That is a wise decision.

are you doing body part exercises?

are you fully back to the kinds of poundage's you were lifting when you had no shoulder trouble and at your all time peak or close to it?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No not at all John, however I am lifting at abuut a 2-1-2 tempo so that slows me up a bit and I am being cautious. I am doing all body parts and training hard but smart. Weight is not the goal for me any longer growth and aesthetics so as long as using progressive poundages I don't have to go down into the singles any father than 8 reps and can still grow on 15. I will lower reps at the 3 month mark which is the 12 of this month.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Update workout and 2 month picture comparison.

So I am going to start with the workout and then add in some comparison pics from 1-26-11 to this morning 3-29-11.

First lets go with the workout it was pretty awesome. I am going up in ever lift and could have even gone heavier but I am only going to add a total of 5 lbs to each lift per week on isolateral work that means 2.5 lb on each. I plan on buying some micro plates more than likely with this paycheck.

Cardio - 3/28/11 - I did 45 minutes of cardio on my home eliptical this thing is a beast. I was dripping sweat and had a full body pump by the end of it. The resistance even at a moderate level is far superior to the ones in the gym for some reason. My heart rate was in the cardio range making it all the way up to 165 where it stayed for the last 25 minutes. I burned a total of 800 calories according to the machine. I don't know if that is correct but it sure felt about right. Then I did 3 sets of crunches on a stabilizing ball.

Low Pull Workout 3-29-11 - (Every exercise starting lower than shoulder)

Very controlled tempo, not counting anymore but still aiming at the 2-1-2 going by feel. However at the end of the sets if needed to get the 15 I will pause between reps, never releasing the weight, take a few breathes and push on. I had to do this with the deads and pinwheel curls.

HS Dorian Row - 45, 50, 55, and 57.5 last weeks top weight 55 happy with the increase could have squeezed out more but going for quality contractions and adding more weight slowly. As long is it goes up I will grow I don't have to be giving maximal effort just increasing the resistance.

Incline Shrugs - 50, 55, and 60 last weeks top weight 55 - I am liking these more and more each time I work them. I can't wait to see how the added detail frames my tattoo on my upper back.

Pin Wheel Curls 20, 40, and 35x12 - I overshot on these and had to lower the weight to keep the tempo and form that I wanted. I also realized that I should have done regular curls since doing deads after, and done these on my high pull days.

Dead Lifts - 135, 225, 245, 265 - Last weeks top weight 225.

So I mentioned before that my hands have been sweating a lot lately. I really noticed when I stopped wearing gloves and even worse trying to use my versa grips. I have learned a few things but today was pretty awesome. I went to Academy yesterday and picked up a Pitcher's Rosin bag. Much more gym friendly than chalk, and helps prevent blisters that chalk can cause with higher reps as well. Well let me tell you my grip was awesome today. I did use my Versa's for the 245, and 265 on dead lifts but man I stuck to them. Everything else I just grabbed onto and clung. Finally my grip reflected the size of my forearms and I felt POWERFULL! I know I could easily raw grip probably upwards of 500, although I don't know that I could pull that much right now.

I also read up on Liquid Chalk, this is what I found out, go buy Arrid XXXtra dry and spray it on your hands before your workout. Liquid Chalk... All it actually is is an antiperspirant for your hands so the don't sweat, improving your grip. Very interesting and WAY cheaper than 20 bucks.

Okay now for the part you have all been waiting for. The comparison shots. This is 2 months and 11 lbs of weight loss. I will comment on the pics under each of them. My skin is loose right now and you can tell by how it kind of pools a bit on the lower abdominal area and smooths out a bit of the lines for now but that is okay. Also the light reflecting in the mirrors on the wall above and behind me washes it out a bit. I can see my abs better in the mirror since no light glaring behind me. However the pics are at the same angle pretty much so it sets the stage for a good comparison regardless.

Relaxed comparison 1-26-11 to 3-29-11.JPG

First is the relaxed comparison. It isn't evident her how much smaller my waist is but the difference is easy to see in the side comparison shot. Granted I had hair in the first pics but lets be honest I was downright sloppy. As I said I would say I was over 15%, granted my arms and legs are very lean but this was just not a good look. LOL The best part of this picture comparison to me on the front relexaed is that I don't really have titty hang lines under my chest in my newer pics. Also admittedly I was pulling my shoulders back in the first picture to kind of hide that sagging fat under my chest which has been an embarrassment to me since childhood... Actually part of the reason I picked up weights in the first place. In the newer pic I have no need to pull my shoulders back, my lower chest is much leaner, I have striations in my inner pecs when flexed, and you can see the upper chest development peaking out from where it was covered by fat before. it will go away somewhere around 7% but unfortunately not until then. But it looks so much better now I am very pleased. My abs don't really show up as much in this pic I assume it is the lighting and the skin not being taught. However you can see the second line of the second set of abs near the points of my tattoo. Also more obvious on the side shot. My biceps appear larger, and the weight loss in my face is evident.

Side 1-26-11 to 3-29-11.JPG

Now to me this comparison really shows the differences better and you can see that the talk of abs starting to show is not as much wishfull thinking as it may have seemed in the first picture. I am 2-3 lbs away from looking pretty damn impressive. However now at least I can get away with not wearing a shirt without grossing myself out and scaring small children. MOMMY!!!! It's THE BLOB!!!!! I am one of those guys who just doesn't like clothes so that is a good thing. With in the next few weeks these abs and obliques should really be popping but for now I will be very happy with my progress.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Legs,

I keep telling you all my legs are lean so I figured I would snap a few pics I put my foot in a chair and tooks some so the shadows aren't showing exactly how lean they are but still somewhat impressive anyway regarding the separations and what not.

Not much to say about them just showing the talk was not lip service. LOL
DSCF7111.JPG

DSCF7113.JPG

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's some nice progress there Kleen! You have cut up a lot, and it looks like more than 11 lbs lost. I'm sure that is because you actually lost more fat than that. Its just a net loss of 11 lbs also taking adding muscle into account.

Good sh1t man!! :D

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thats very very solid work there espeically for having to do it after the surgery and all

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cardio this morning, 45 minutes on treadmill 489 cals burned.

Weighted ab work 3 sets until failure.

That's some nice progress there Kleen! You have cut up a lot, and it looks like more than 11 lbs lost. I'm sure that is because you actually lost more fat than that. Its just a net loss of 11 lbs also taking adding muscle into account.

Good sh1t man!! :D
Thanks, and honestly the light behind me makes a pretty big difference. I may have to rearrange that room just because of that fact. Good thing I am not vain or anything. ;)
thats very very solid work there espeically for having to do it after the surgery and all
Thanks, I have been hitting it pretty religiously. Not much farther and those abs are going to be worthy of mention.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obvious progress and legs are nukin futs!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Obvious progress and legs are nukin futs!!
Thanks DW! I am hoping to be nice and impressive by the end of the contest even though not in it, I am trying to do this along with you guys.

Speaking of, I need to use a 25% code from one of these guys to order more Better Protein bars. I miss them as part of my 8 hour eating window. That chocolate raspberry sounds good!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks DW! I am hoping to be nice and impressive by the end of the contest even though not in it, I am trying to do this along with you guys.

Speaking of, I need to use a 25% code from one of these guys to order more Better Protein bars. I miss them as part of my 8 hour eating window. That chocolate raspberry sounds good!
Man don't talk to me about food, I'm on day 4 of the Grapefruit diet and a protein bar sounds so good right now...:eek:mfg: I was planning on skipping my carb up this week but it's getting tough already...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man that sucks. I don't know that you should not do the carb up what about a half a carb up at least. Seems the low cals you are on the leptin levels must be getting low and that will slow body fat loss more, as to where the carbs replenish the leptin levels quickly allowing you to start burning fat more efficiently again. If you are concerned just take in half of the amount you would. However I doubt within reason anyway that acarb up will hurt your losses at all.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man that sucks. I don't know that you should not do the carb up what about a half a carb up at least. Seems the low cals you are on the leptin levels must be getting low and that will slow body fat loss more, as to where the carbs replenish the leptin levels quickly allowing you to start burning fat more efficiently again. If you are concerned just take in half of the amount you would. However I doubt within reason anyway that acarb up will hurt your losses at all.
Yah a 400 gram carb up .... good Idea... should get me cookin again...

Read my log about Trenazone I just picked up PA's take on it... pretty exciting...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yah a 400 gram carb up .... good Idea... should get me cookin again...

Read my log about Trenazone I just picked up PA's take on it... pretty exciting...
I read it all went to respond and AM crashed and lost it all! Very interesting stuff though. I am contemplating selling off all my DS, or maybe just doing one last one with the Eq-Plex to help my joint recover. However it is doing golden. As you can tell I haven't mentioned the shoulder unless asked because I am not reminded of it by any pain. I looked at how sloppy I look in those before comparison pics and what I looked like on the DMZ a short time before. Thinking maybe too many sides, and too much shut down for this old dog since I haven't kept anything AGAIN... UGH! But then you tempt me with this! LOL

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

barbellbeast25 buddy!

The choco rasp are by far my favorite.:32: Have you tried using anything in place of the honey? I was thinking of trying SF maple syrup.. Any ideas bro?

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
barbellbeast25 buddy!

The choco rasp are by far my favorite.:32: Have you tried using anything in place of the honey? I was thinking of trying SF maple syrup.. Any ideas bro?
I heard the Walden Farms syrup goes great as a substitue for the honey. I should've ordered more syrup!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There is that Xylitol Honey that is sugar free but I haven't tried it yet. A few different brands out there.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was thinking about some better protein bars but i thought they might be a little calorie dense for my goals at the moment, but I didn't think about using some calorie free syrup to lower the Cal's per bar...not a bad idea ;)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was thinking about some better protein bars but i thought they might be a little calorie dense for my goals at the moment, but I didn't think about using some calorie free syrup to lower the Cal's per bar...not a bad idea ;)
When you hit the Lean Gains even on a cut you can squeeze one or two of these in on workout days, or even in a pinch on a cardio day. If you train in the afternoon one could be your lead in meal, or part of a post workout meal. Post workout meal you are trying to hit a huge percentage of the daily cals there. 100 grams of protein and carbs, and whatever fat I take in with it is pretty much automatic for me on a training day for the fast breaking meal at at a minimum. Remember hitting your 2800-3000 cals on the weight training days in 8 hours is going to be different than what you eat over a typical span of 16 hours . Nutrient dense food will become a necessity not a luxury. This keep them both tasty, dense and high quality. You will kind of need to abandon your typical cutting thought process at first when doing Lean Gains. I am going to make my last batch of these now as a matter of fact. I have a a bag of butterscotch calling my name. I hope it is as good as it sounds!!! I love me some butterscotch! If you can definitely add the Power Butter it lowers fat a good bit and really increases the protein.