KLEEN Cut's back on the supplements but not the progress!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well my workout ended up not happening. I started making myself a sand bag to do the workout and it ended up being a longer project due to my original idea failing horribly. I didn't want to wait or have to spend 30 on a heavy duty duffle-bag. What I came up with was interesting and a combo item now. It is a 90 lbs sand bag, and "kettle bell".

I made out of an old no longer used fitted bed sheet, 3 "3 MIL" contractor bags, 2 bags all purpose stone, duct tape and a lot of creative thinking. Total cost $8.20 for the rocks and maybe half a roll of duct tape. The contractor bags were 32 for $17 so $1.59 worth of bags so a total expense of $9.79. I can make many more things with that box of them. I know it is not "cool looking" but it sure gets the job done.

The sheets saved me $20 to $30 on a heavy duty bag and allowed me to fashion a kettle bell like handle with the excess material. The 3 contractor bags are hella strong too! I removed the air and tied each tightly before doing the next. So it is super strong then the sheet is rolled around it tightly, so there are 3 layers of sheet on top of the contractor bags. Then duct tape to keep things tight & reinforce the material too. I didn't want it all duct tape because that would make it slippery when not using the handle like sand bag work.

Tomorrow I will make another one at 135 lbs, and a Bulgarian training bag or two. Maybe even cut open an old ball and make a light weight medicine ball for my daughter or one arm movements. I may film it for anyone who just wants to use an old sheet over a $20-30 heavy duty bag. Can get a bag of sheets at a resale place for nothing.

90 lb sand bag kettle bell combo.jpg

Anyway I worked too long on it because shopping took a while. I was looking for ideas for making training things from stuff in the hardware store. So I will do the tested workout tomorrow. It is just a circuit, although a crazy one. It should be done in 15-25 minutes from the other times I am seeing. It will tire me but won't hurt my training Monday.

turff49

turff49

Awards
Should've said something man.pm me your address and I'll send you an old duffle bag. I've got 3 or 4 of them buried out in the shop. Be more than happy to send you one.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Should've said something man.pm me your address and I'll send you an old duffle bag. I've got 3 or 4 of them buried out in the shop. Be more than happy to send you one.
PM Sent and you are too kind!!!!

1 - Heroic Warm-up

2 -Complex

Keg Carry - 5 x 30
Kettlebell Rack Carry - 5 x 30
Lunge Jumps - 5 x 10
Knees to Elbows - 5 x 10
Pull-up Series - 5 x 5

3 - Mobility Cool Down
1 x 8:00

Did the Keg Carry with sand bag and the KB Rack carry with DB's time was 36:24 not too good but I basically almost quit a few times it was so hot and I couldn't breathe.

Whoah, I almost bit off more than I could chew with the new sand bag. It was only 90 lbs but compressed my chest and diaphragm so it was very hard to breathe. I won't lie I almost wanted to quit once. I hit my head against the pec deck doing the knee to elbows and already couldn't breathe. I was exhausted but then told myself to get my ass going.It was a total beast out in the 101 degree sun! I used 50 lbs DBs for the rack walks. My time was pretty rough at 36 minutes and some change. It wasn't the weight that got to me so much as holding it on my diaphragm. Oh well I have lots of room to improve here obviously!

He has a pretty good workout planned for this evening. The tested lift will be SUMO Deads, I have only done these once or twice and was not too good at them so I am not sure how tonight will go but I am going to give it some hell! I am expecting some hell. I think I end up doing a 7-8 minute block of kettle bell swings, and an 8 minute tire dragging block.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to do some sumo, but changed back to conventional and with some form corrections I actually do those better.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Interested to see how you did with those deadlifts boss

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I used to do some sumo, but changed back to conventional and with some form corrections I actually do those better.
Yeah the conventional is a much simpler lift. Nowhere near as technical as the Sumo. My understanding is that powerful squatters tend to do really well in the sumo.
Interested to see how you did with those deadlifts boss
Well not too bad, last time my strength was not on par with my conventional dead lifts. This time I hit 435 and got 455 about 6 inches off the floor before my legs started bucking. That seems to be dead even with my conventional right now. I expect to see some serious strength gains over the next few months. I have never trained quite the way I am right now and I feel like my strength will follow along in spades! Considering I was up at 500 a year or two ago I know I have it in the bank.

Last nights workout was quite simple yet effective!

Hero's Warm Up

A1- DB Front Rack Squats - 40x10, 55x8, 65x6, 75x4, 75x2
- need heavier DB's for this
A-2 Lunge Jumps x 10 x 5 sets

Sumo Dead Lifts - (2 warm ups) - 315x3, 395x2, 435x1, 455xf - got the 455 up about 6 inches then failed.

Kettle Bells Swings 25lbs AMRAP in 5 minutes - lost count over 200 was pretty brutal.

Okay yesterday was my physical but she did not take my blood. She wanted me to wait until mid week so my testosterone shot would not be so fresh and mess up my test levels. So the RADAR1NE & GHAR1NE will actually start later this week. I will write up an intro to the log in the next day or two and transition my posting to over there for the duration of the log.

On to other parts of my physical. The athletic based training and better grasp on nutrition has dropped my blood pressure by 15-20 on both sides. I was averaging 138-142 on diastolic, and 85-90 on systolic there for a bit. Not horrible but not good. Now I am at 121/73 and heart rate was 59. So I am pretty damn stoked about that!

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For me SUMO Deads are like trying to throw a football left-handed. Just awkward no matter how hard I try to do them right.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For me SUMO Deads are like trying to throw a football left-handed. Just awkward no matter how hard I try to do them right.
Yes, I had to read up on them a bit and read that for most people an exaggerated SUMO stance will not be good for them. All the times I tried it before I was mimicking the high level power lifters I have seen do it. This time I did not try to spread my legs anywhere near as far apart and it was much better. However if it is a hard lift for you that is an even better reason to do them. I am trying to adopt the mentality if I am weak in an area I need to make myself stronger there.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, I had to read up on them a bit and read that for most people an exaggerated SUMO stance will not be good for them. All the times I tried it before I was mimicking the high level power lifters I have seen do it. This time I did not try to spread my legs anywhere near as far apart and it was much better. However if it is a hard lift for you that is an even better reason to do them. I am trying to adopt the mentality if I am weak in an area I need to make myself stronger there.
Progress definitely does not come from the "comfort-zone".

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Progress definitely does not come from the "comfort-zone".
The only thing that ever progressed on me from the comfort zone is the size of my belly!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My son was a deadly sumo lifter, he had like 32 inch legs though. I think the stronger leg lifters would prefer sumo, where conventional may be more back power.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My son was a deadly sumo lifter, he had like 32 inch legs though. I think the stronger leg lifters would prefer sumo, where conventional may be more back power.
Yes I would agree, the way they explained in on TNation was that people built well for squatting do really well with SUMO style. I have always been able to pull a little more than I squat but and never had an amazing squat number so I think conventional will be my bread and butter for the most weight moved. However I will train both of them.

Tonight is a conditioning night. I don't have an exact plan other than I intend to make myself sweat for 20-60 minutes. Not sure if I will do GPP stuff, HIIT, or just do some work on the elliptical. We got it fixed woohoo!!!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sumo is often done in high-level geared powerlifting because it can get a bigger carryover from gear. If you ever pull Sumo in even a loose pair of briefs or a squat suit (even with straps down) you'll notice how much better it loads up tension in the gear. Conventional reeeeally has to have the straps set tight, and right, for the lifter to get anything - you'll see a lot of strongmen wear them because gear is often allowed just for the extra support/injury prevention it brings to the table (if they let you use it, why not? You've a full day of events after that 18" deadlift that are gonna beat the crap out of you regardless). When you see it in raw powerlifting, it's just a preference for what seems to work best with your leverages.

Kleen, are you aware of aminos causing any significant kidney loading the way processing whole proteins does? I assumed not but knew you'd likely have discussed this with the doc; i.e. when they told you to keep pro <150g/day if you were allowed to run say 30g of additional bcaas/eaas a day or if that would represent additional strain?

The guy who runs my gym is a hybrid athlete, doing strongman comps as well as endurance events (triathlons, etc) and Alex Viada is doing his programming. He weighs 220s w/ abs at 6 foot and only consumes 100-140g pro usually but 6-700 carbs and limited fats. W/ his lower bf the carbs seem to be utilized really well and obviously the 'low' protein isn't affecting his gains any.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killer session big guy! Your BP and HR is fantastic!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I would agree, the way they explained in on TNation was that people built well for squatting do really well with SUMO style. I have always been able to pull a little more than I squat but and never had an amazing squat number so I think conventional will be my bread and butter for the most weight moved. However I will train both of them.
Yah Kris is a big squatter. His Sumo is super wide too, and he's a raw lifter. He used a belt on the really heavy lifts though.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sumo is often done in high-level geared powerlifting because it can get a bigger carryover from gear. If you ever pull Sumo in even a loose pair of briefs or a squat suit (even with straps down) you'll notice how much better it loads up tension in the gear. Conventional reeeeally has to have the straps set tight, and right, for the lifter to get anything - you'll see a lot of strongmen wear them because gear is often allowed just for the extra support/injury prevention it brings to the table (if they let you use it, why not? You've a full day of events after that 18" deadlift that are gonna beat the crap out of you regardless). When you see it in raw powerlifting, it's just a preference for what seems to work best with your leverages.

Kleen, are you aware of aminos causing any significant kidney loading the way processing whole proteins does? I assumed not but knew you'd likely have discussed this with the doc; i.e. when they told you to keep pro <150g/day if you were allowed to run say 30g of additional bcaas/eaas a day or if that would represent additional strain?

The guy who runs my gym is a hybrid athlete, doing strongman comps as well as endurance events (triathlons, etc) and Alex Viada is doing his programming. He weighs 220s w/ abs at 6 foot and only consumes 100-140g pro usually but 6-700 carbs and limited fats. W/ his lower bf the carbs seem to be utilized really well and obviously the 'low' protein isn't affecting his gains any.
I can see that with the suits helping for Sumo style.

Not that I know of. She gave me up to 170, and I was limiting to 150 but still getting in aminos. Now that things have been proven stabilized I am just shooting for 150-200 a day, moderate fats and carbs. Normally closer to 150 but if I go to 200 it is not a big deal, even 400 a few days wouldn't matter in the big picture. She told me she considers me stable and the kidney damage I do have is not progressing. Limiting the protein is more of a best practice for me than a restriction at this point.

Killer session big guy! Your BP and HR is fantastic!
Thanks Mark! I am having a lot of fun with this training. My elbows hurt just a tiny bit the day after or maybe into the following day but are fine befoe I train again. I can deal with having minor soreness here and there. That is part of this life but the chronic stuff I was dealing with is no good.

Yes I was very pleased on both my BP and my heart rate. I give most of the credit to the training style and intensity. My heart rate is always being pushed. The conditioning afforded by the GPP every workout is amazing.

Yah Kris is a big squatter. His Sumo is super wide too, and he's a raw lifter. He used a belt on the really heavy lifts though.
I think belts are still considered raw. It is no knee or elbow wraps and no assistance suits if I am correct.

I was feeling pretty tired last night and made the conscious decision to rest. I think that Wednesdays may be an optional rest day. I seem to be doing something each weekend day now so a night off in the middle of the week actually feels good and warranted.

Tonight is basically a repeat of last weeks Wednesday training. I am hoping to beat my best Floor Press this week! I got 310 last week so going to try for 315 tonight. Not looking forward to the tire drags either! Added another minute to them this week!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last night was a great lift! Crushed it and got a new PR for the Floor Press.

Heroe's Warm Up

Super Set 1
BB Floor Press 155x8, 225x5, 245x3, 265x2, 295x1, 315x1 = PR!!!!!
Pendlay Rows 135x6, 235x6, 235x6, 235x6, 235x6, 235x6 - up 10 lbs

Super Set 2
DB Snatch 50x6, 65x6, 65x6, 65x6 - I using 65 2 sets earier this time, they started getting pretty heavy by the end!
Band Pull Aparts - 12 overhand then 12 under for a total of 24 x 4 sets with doubled up thin orange band

Super Set 3
Barbell Shrugs 225x20, 315x15, 365x10 - feeling these today!
Band Triceps Extensions 3 sets of 33 one overhead, one down and far from anchor, and last one down and closer to anchor point.

Tire Drag - 8 Minutes Holy Crap!

Tonight I am just doing a little conditioning. My "Block" is 1/3 mile around so I am going to see if I can't drag the tire with me the whole way.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gooooood job buddy!

I'm gonna be cutting soon and might be stealing your design for the tire sled you made for muh HIIT.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow the strength you are displaying is really impressive.

turff49

turff49

Awards
No joke! After all the heavy lifting you manage to do 8 friggin minutes of tire drag...man on a mission right there!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some big weight moved there... nice job Chris.. congrats on the PR
Thanks Simon!
Gooooood job buddy!

I'm gonna be cutting soon and might be stealing your design for the tire sled you made for muh HIIT.
Awesome man, so cheap and extremely effective. It is a love hate relationship right from the start whether I do tire drag sprints, or for weight at a certain distance or a timed drag it makes you dig deep! That beats the hell out of cardio in my book. Not that cardio doesn't have it's place I have been getting in 30 minutes of LISS here and there.
Wow the strength you are displaying is really impressive.
Thanks Doug! I am really enjoying the programming. He touches on strength just enough for you to get a serious lift and bump up the weight, then gets the rest of the volume with other types of attacks don't continue to beat up the same areas the whole time. I find I am definitely feeling worked the next days but not actually sore. My shoulders and traps feel like they are going to really blow up from this though. The Oly stuff being thrown in is automatically going to bring shoulders up a lot!
No joke! After all the heavy lifting you manage to do 8 friggin minutes of tire drag...man on a mission right there!
Yes Sir! Getting it in and crushing it!

Tonight is going to be great but that last combo looks insane!

Heroes warm up

Clapping Push Ups, 5,4,3,2,1
Squat Jump - 5,4,3,2,1

Tested Lift - Find Max on Weighted Pull up - any grip - no kipping 1,1,1,1,1

100M Sprint - 1,1,1,1,1
Speed Dead Lifts @260lbs 1,1,1,1,1

Cool Down - 6 minutes Foam Rolling

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Man, you have been on FIRE!!!! Those workouts look intense but then again, I've never seen you do anything less!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man, you have been on FIRE!!!! Those workouts look intense but then again, I've never seen you do anything less!
Thanks love2liftkat I have been working hard! Starting to see a little new muscle or muscle returning while leaning out.

So let me get into my workout a bit.

HEROIC WARM-UP

CLAPPING PUSH UP 5,4,3,2,1
SQUAT JUMP 5,4,3,2,1

TESTED Lift
WEIGHTED CHIN UPS - Find your 1 rep max in weighted pull ups (over or underhand grip, strict, NO kipping)
5 SETS BWx3, 25x1, 45x1, 70x1, 90x1 body weight 213

100 M SPRINT x 5 = 17.5, 15.7, 16.1, 16.3, 17.2 seconds
DEADLIFT - Deadlifts will be performed for speed. - 60% = 260 x1, 1, 1, 1, 1

MOBILITY COOL DOWN
10 minutes of mobility / cool down

I had to wait until today to do my workout for Friday due to rain. I was happy with it. I have never tried to see how much I could pull up. I was surprised at 90 with me being 213. On the sprints my best time was 15.7 seconds my last one was 17.2 seconds. I was staying right at 16 but the 4rth dead lift took more out of me and dropped me quick. First time I have sprinted in a long time. Not sure time was accurate I was using my phone and felt like I fumbled to get it stopped while trying to start decelerating. I will need a real stop watch for that type of thing. I loaded my car up with the correct amount for dead lifts before starting the workout. I did all my stuff &did my max pull ups. Then hopped in the car and went to the middle school. I took the weights out on the football field and ran from the beginning of one end zone through to the end of the other which was 110 yards or 100.5 meters. The did my deads right after and walked back to the other end zone and run back once I got there. Was intense!!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crazy intense! Weighted pull-ups with 90 is hardcore! Were these over or underhand?

turff49

turff49

Awards
Pull up or chin-up? Pull up is underhand(I think) and chin-ups are overhand correct? Just asking as I've never tried a 1rm on either.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pull up or chin-up? Pull up is underhand(I think) and chin-ups are overhand correct? Just asking as I've never tried a 1rm on either.
I've always known an overhand grip is a pull-up and underhand grip is a chin-up. Chin-up is stronger since you are using biceps.

clown007

clown007

Awards
I've always known an overhand grip is a pull-up and underhand grip is a chin-up. Chin-up is stronger since you are using biceps.
That's always been my understanding too.

turff49

turff49

Awards
I always get them confused...lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Crazy intense! Weighted pull-ups with 90 is hardcore! Were these over or underhand?
It was a mix of grips but the last one with 90 was an underhand. No kipping was done on this day!
That's always been my understanding too.
I always get them confused...lol
The chin up is actually a form of a pull up, however the chin up is kind of the nickname for them. People in other areas or some of the training books still refer to the as supinated grip pull ups, or reverse grip pull ups. He said to use varying grips so I did. I did go with the supinated for final set due to strength advantage.

I did BW, & + 25 Pronated & Wide grip, 45 supinated close grip, 70 pronated medium width grip, 90 supinated medium width grip.

I pissed my knee off last night with the sprints. Not sure what happened. I know I felt less stable in the final sprint. I may have just stepped on an uneven part and aggravated my knee it is on the back and outside part of my knee. I am hoping it clears up quick. I have leg work coming up tomorrow. I am already assuming I may need to put it off a day. I will go to the gym later and maybe ride a bike to get the circulation up then sit in the hot tub with my knee against the water jet. Sprinting felt awesome but it doesn't now. Actually I think I know when it happened. I was walking on the side line and trying to set my timer up. I wasn't looking and stepped right off into the pole vault hole with that leg. Caught me off guard and was a hell of a jolt but I didn't think it hurt me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weight Update 210.3!!!!!! That is down from 211.9 last week, so I am averaging about 1.5 lbs a week right now of weight loss, and my lifts go up every week. Things are going really well right now as far as the goals.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Weight Update 210.3!!!!!! That is down from 211.9 last week, so I am averaging about 1.5 lbs a week right now of weight loss, and my lifts go up every week. Things are going really well right now as far as the goals.
That's incredible man! Congrats!
All the hard work is definitely paying off in dividends!!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats Chris.. steam rolling right along!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's incredible man! Congrats!
All the hard work is definitely paying off in dividends!!
Thanks Brother! My physique is definitely changing now!
Congrats Chris.. steam rolling right along!
Thanks Simon, you gotta love when the mojo kicks in and sh!t gets real! I still have other improvements to make too. This is about 75% commitment to diet right now. Keeping a rolling tally but have not officially tracked macros or intake. Just getting in the approximate ranges. Some days are lower fat high carb, some are high fat moderate carbs and some are moderate on both. Most carbs are taken in after 1PM, since workouts are more performance based I try to get in about 75+ grams in before I lift between 1-5PM and the rest after.

Well my knee is still bitching from the sprints the other day. It is definitely a lot better but not healed. I am supposed to be doing a max effort Sumo pull tonight. However I think I may hold off on that and do it tomorrow instead. I also think for Sprints this coming Friday I will wear my Titan knee sleeves just for a little extra support so I feel confident enough to push it.

I am about to write up the log for RADAR1NE and GHAR1NE and will post a link up in here. I plan to have my daughter take some pics of me either tonight or tomorrow for that log and will update them in here as well.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh I will be all over that log. After only a few nights of Ghar1ine I feel more energetic, the dreams are super vivid.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm excited for the log too! Congrats on all of the progress already! Sure hope the knee calms down and heals up!