Jinxie’s Mid-life Reincarnation Workout 🪵

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m starting a new log after a ~6 year lifting hiatus because of orthopedic issues per a physiatrist.

I resumed training in the beginning of 2021, after building opportunistically a nice pandemic-inspired home gym. (I don’t plan on returning to the gym, though I kept my $99/yr deal so I can lift when I travel.). At the time, I could only bench press 185x1, hex DL 300x1, and squat 185x1. At the moment, I’m doing a 5/3/1 program and I’m seeing some pretty decent gains, fueled by muscle memory.

A few notes. I have abandoned the conventional deadlift in favor of hex bar deadlifts. And I’ve converted to a close-grip bench press for my primary benching. And I’m doing seated overhead presses in lieu of standing. At 51, I’m entitled, haha. I’m a wuss, I know, but I have endured a dozen ortho surgeries (at shoulders, biceps, and elbows), which is what landed me on the side lines.

In terms of logging, I primarily will be logging the big 4 power movements. I have abandoned specialized arm work since I bench close grip, dip and do a lot of accessory pulling, including chin and pull-ups; though I still do triceps rope extensions, for fuller triceps — still want big arms. I don’t miss working arms intensively, not one bit.

Current numbers:

CG Bench Press: 248 lbs

Seated OHP: 171 lbs

HB Deadlift: 378 lbs (undertrained movement)

Back Squats: 253 lbs (I’m taking it slow here bc I injured my lower back and am still recovering)

Vitals: 5’8”; 170 lbs.

I’ll post some current pics in the next entry.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here are some physique shots. Currently a little wet from loading creatine. I just turned 51.

I’m trying to achieve a sturdy, balanced body that’s reasonably strong; I’d like to hold around 175 to 180 lbs. I’m not looking to get hyooge at my age and I don’t want to replace my suits, lol.

IMG_7630.JPG

IMG_7653.JPG

IMG_7646.JPG

Here are comparison photos from late 2013 at around 165 lbs. I stopped lifting heavy several months later, and then stopped lifting altogether in around August 2014.

View attachment 206645

View attachment 206646

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
And away we go.

Just returned from vacation, deload week. Lost 5 lbs (back down to 170 lbs) — all the weight I had gained from loading creatine the week before vacation, weird. Skipped last two squat workouts bc of intransigent achey lower back. Feels better. Gonna try to double up this week, if it feels right.

Off topic, bought my wife a new boneyard Bella 2.0 bar for $100 this morning. Her first dedicated bar. She’s stoked.

Back Squats:
Warmups
165x3
185x3
205x10 (felt good, but not gonna press it)

Viking Press Squats (sissy):
2x10

Leg Extensions:
2x10

Single-legged Hamstring Curls:
3x10

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Close-grip Bench
Warmups
150x5
175x5
195x7 (bad set, 3 short of projected; safety bars were too high — or my chest not high enough)
185x7

Standing Viking Press Chest Press
3x10-20

Gymnastic Ring Push-ups
3x10 (such a pump even from so few)

Pulley Tricep Rope Extensions
3x10-15

Not bad for a post-vacation workout, but still disappointed. Felt stronger before I left. Patience, grasshopper.

Last edited:
cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
For your age, and not working out for 6 years.. that's an impressive start. Actually, it's impressive regardless of age.. can't wait to see where this training takes your physique! I've taken off for a couple years and got skinny, then skinny fat, etc. lol so you obviously live a fairly healthy lifestyle and/or have good genetics.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For your age, and not working out for 6 years.. that's an impressive start. Actually, it's impressive regardless of age.. can't wait to see where this training takes your physique! I've taken off for a couple years and got skinny, then skinny fat, etc. lol so you obviously live a fairly healthy lifestyle and/or have good genetics.
Appreciate that. Hope to impress.

I’ll be rooting for you too, brother!!!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hex DLs:
Warmups
230x5
260x5
300x10 (felt good, despite very sore lower quads from sissy squats; was only able to do 1 of these a couple months back)

Beginning to think I need to adjust upwards my max bc I’m doing 8-12 reps on all AMRAP sets. Any thoughts? I know most folks recommend not doing so, but I’m not a big fan of this much volume.

Landmine T-rows:
3x10-12

Lat Pulls:
3x8-10

Facepulls:
3x10-15

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hex DLs:
Warmups
230x5
260x5
300x10 (felt good, despite very sore lower quads from sissy squats; was only able to do 1 of these a couple months back)

Beginning to think I need to adjust upwards my max bc I’m doing 8-12 reps on all AMRAP sets. Any thoughts? I know most folks recommend not doing so, but I’m not a big fan of this much volume.

Landmine T-rows:
3x10-12

Lat Pulls:
3x8-10

Facepulls:
3x10-15

If you scroll up on my log you'll see where my amrap numbers ended right about March when I went on my deload. I used the 531 app which was awesome, and ran 2 full cycles. I was truly nearing PR's on everything and breaking numbers I hadn't seen in years.... within 2 cycles.

At that point, deload was forced, but if I had kept the cycles going it was definitely time to increase 1rm and restart the amraps. Deadlifting 355 for 13 reps, and squatting 265+ for around 10s was getting too taxing and my bench started going backwards actually.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
also for the first time basically in a decade I'm not running creatine right now. I do think it helps me a LOT on a strength cycle, especially bench. Maybe i'll work it back in after another 1-2 weeks of my cut.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you raise the training max, just do a slight bump - 10-20lbs on the lifts. You don’t want to overdue it and don’t want to run out of road - you aren’t going to keep adapting so fast, so you will naturally begin bleeding off reps as the weight increases over cycles. The wave cycles naturally progress linearly as your adaptation stalls. So you want to be starting around 10+ reps so you have room for it to be 9, 8, 6,5,4,3 before having to totally restart. If you add too much now you will shorten the runway longterm before hitting that necessary reset.

Training max is a not a daily max; it’s literally just an arbitrary value that when plugged into your progression scheme gets you working with loads you’ve found optimally balanced between what allows you to progress and that you recover best from. Like for squats I need my AMRAP to float somewhere between a 6 & 11-rep max, and only lifting at an RPE of 8-8.5. If I go heavier I am going to get obliterated for weeks ahead, or lightly injured. Bench I can go a little heavier on, but need some back off volume as well. Every lift is different.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you raise the training max, just do a slight bump - 10-20lbs on the lifts. You don’t want to overdue it and don’t want to run out of road - you aren’t going to keep adapting so fast, so you will naturally begin bleeding off reps as the weight increases over cycles. The wave cycles naturally progress linearly as your adaptation stalls. So you want to be starting around 10+ reps so you have room for it to be 9, 8, 6,5,4,3 before having to totally restart. If you add too much now you will shorten the runway longterm before hitting that necessary reset.

Training max is a not a daily max; it’s literally just an arbitrary value that when plugged into your progression scheme gets you working with loads you’ve found optimally balanced between what allows you to progress and that you recover best from. Like for squats I need my AMRAP to float somewhere between a 6 & 11-rep max, and only lifting at an RPE of 8-8.5. If I go heavier I am going to get obliterated for weeks ahead, or lightly injured. Bench I can go a little heavier on, but need some back off volume as well. Every lift is different.

especially for natural dudes over 30. the recovery setback can be weeks, easily, if you are going RPE 10 every day. or even a couple times a week to be honest.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you scroll up on my log you'll see where my amrap numbers ended right about March when I went on my deload. I used the 531 app which was awesome, and ran 2 full cycles. I was truly nearing PR's on everything and breaking numbers I hadn't seen in years.... within 2 cycles.

At that point, deload was forced, but if I had kept the cycles going it was definitely time to increase 1rm and restart the amraps. Deadlifting 355 for 13 reps, and squatting 265+ for around 10s was getting too taxing and my bench started going backwards actually.
Thanks much, Dustin. Much appreciated. I’m gonna consider this for sure.

And that’s some good weight for volume youre lifting, sir!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In, looking great!! Keep it up
I’m passing muster for my age — you’re looking truly great, my friend! I haven’t had abs like you in a while, if ever. Keep moving the iron up the never ending hill!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Alright, I’m persuaded to hold off for now as I’m in the range you mention. Appreciate the valuable input.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
especially for natural dudes over 30. the recovery setback can be weeks, easily, if you are going RPE 10 every day. or even a couple times a week to be honest.
For sure — and I’m 51. I think I’m gonna hold off adjusting upward for now. I’ve been holding some reps back, but I’m still feeling pretty achey for several days from squat and deadlift days. Maybe I need to pullback 1-2 RPE wise, particularly on the DLs, as opposed to resetting my maxes in the second cycle. Indeed, I already reset them once after a couple cycles, so it may be overkill. I’m in this for the long game, at least the next 2 decades. Masters here I come, lol.

Appreciate the valuable feedback!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
For sure — and I’m 51. I think I’m gonna hold off adjusting upward for now. I’ve been holding some reps back, but I’m still feeling pretty achey for several days from squat and deadlift days. Maybe I need to pullback 1-2 RPE wise, particularly on the DLs, as opposed to resetting my maxes in the second cycle. Indeed, I already reset them once after a couple cycles, so it may be overkill. I’m in this for the long game, at least the next 2 decades. Masters here I come, lol.

Appreciate the valuable feedback!
I think dapack is right under you in age or thereabouts so that gives a good idea of another strong power lifter at around 50 and what he's capable of/recovery etc.

You might look into a few other items:
A. what is your nutrition and supplementation lifestyle like right now? Can you add fish oil to help with achy joints, and maybe improve hydration for muscle recovery etc? I like to play with a lot of supplements in the mens health section that have a lot more impact on me as I approach 40 than it ever would have at 20.

B. I prefer to do conditioning/cardio post workout rather than pre for 2 reasons. 1) i use all my raw energy on the barbell and have a better session, 2) I think 20-30 minutes on the treadmill not only gives me that LISS cardio to burn some cals but helps my body recover better from hard squat and dead lift days. oh and 3) it's a half our of the day where I can watch sports on my youtube app and not have my wife tell me how boring golf is.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for what it's worth I've been to this rodeo many times in many ways. I competed in CrossFit, I have done power lifting, bulking, cutting, 2 and 3 a days, strength training etc. Right now I'm really liking the tight calories, 3-4 barbell sessions a week, followed by the LISS cardio. it seems to give the most bang for my buck. keeping muscle mass, burning fat, and not killing my energy levels

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think dapack is right under you in age or thereabouts so that gives a good idea of another strong power lifter at around 50 and what he's capable of/recovery etc.

You might look into a few other items:
A. what is your nutrition and supplementation lifestyle like right now? Can you add fish oil to help with achy joints, and maybe improve hydration for muscle recovery etc? I like to play with a lot of supplements in the mens health section that have a lot more impact on me as I approach 40 than it ever would have at 20.

B. I prefer to do conditioning/cardio post workout rather than pre for 2 reasons. 1) i use all my raw energy on the barbell and have a better session, 2) I think 20-30 minutes on the treadmill not only gives me that LISS cardio to burn some cals but helps my body recover better from hard squat and dead lift days. oh and 3) it's a half our of the day where I can watch sports on my youtube app and not have my wife tell me how boring golf is.
Thanks for the tips. I believe I have a few questions pending for DaPack about his training.

I used to consume tons of supplements from ages 35 to 45, but couldn’t tell a difference from most of them, so I ceased my expensive habit. These days, other than creatine, I only take curcumim, ashwaganda, weekly vitamin D, and sometimes I cycle SAMe. I do have lots of fish oil, so I’ll reincorporate that for a try. I also need to be drinking way more water (hydration, as you mentioned).

Appreciate you!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m about to be 31, but I’ve been using PEDs for a decade. I feel I’m particularly injury prone and have to do more preparation to lift than most peers I feel, but I can tell you I cannot do RPE10 basically ever without consequence. I think it is worse for the drug-user. You supercharge your maximum horsepower output, while none of your parts get upgraded - it becomes much harder to keep things from breaking.

I can count the number of times I squat or deadlift at RPE10 intentionally in a year on one hand. Combined. Testing true limits is not optimal for training. You need to consistently train hard, but not absolutely redlined. Then you go backwards.

I think holding back even further on RPE for deadlift specifically is better than lowering training max, for me, as well. Squat it’s better to lower the training max and keep the perceived efforts a little higher; deadlift really beats me up.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m about to be 31, but I’ve been using PEDs for a decade. I feel I’m particularly injury prone and have to do more preparation to lift than most peers I feel, but I can tell you I cannot do RPE10 basically ever without consequence. I think it is worse for the drug-user. You supercharge your maximum horsepower output, while none of your parts get upgraded - it becomes much harder to keep things from breaking.

I can count the number of times I squat or deadlift at RPE10 intentionally in a year on one hand. Combined. Testing true limits is not optimal for training. You need to consistently train hard, but not absolutely redlined. Then you go backwards.

I think holding back even further on RPE for deadlift specifically is better than lowering training max, for me, as well. Squat it’s better to lower the training max and keep the perceived efforts a little higher; deadlift really beats me up.
Really appreciate the insights. I’m with you on the deadlifts.

Part of my problem is I’m a hiker and usually do two 5-7 mile hikes a week, reasonably steep grade. And then my wife can only train Saturday-Monday, so I only have a day’s rest between DLs and squats. My hips and legs are sore all the time, and I’m just recovering from a minor lower back injury from losing my retraction during a deadlift. Frankly, I’m astonished that I’m pulling as much as I am given that I’m pretty much always sore on DL day. But my squat definitely is suffering, between lower back issues and lack of recovery.

Can someone’s wife pump me some breast milk — bc I know I’m a ninny? But I do need to listen to my body. So I’m gonna leave more in the tank for my AMRAP sets. I’ve been at RPE 8-9 on DLs; maybe I’ll shoot for 7. That will reduce the volume some.

Ironically, I can do heavy singles all day without overtraining. It’s usually the volume that’s the problem now that I’m old. Then again, I feel like I need more volume for bench press.

I’m thinking about doing a modified 5-3-1, where you do 5-5-5+, then 5x5, and then 5,5, 1+. I think this may help me on the soreness and give my benching the volume I’d prefer.

At any rate, appreciate you. You’re quite wise for 31 yo!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the tips. I believe I have a few questions pending for DaPack about his training.

I used to consume tons of supplements from ages 35 to 45, but couldn’t tell a difference from most of them, so I ceased my expensive habit. These days, other than creatine, I only take curcumim, ashwaganda, weekly vitamin D, and sometimes I cycle SAMe. I do have lots of fish oil, so I’ll reincorporate that for a try. I also need to be drinking way more water (hydration, as you mentioned).

Appreciate you!
In addition to those I like Goat Weed and Maca, but I usually find a supp that includes the Ashwaganda, goat weed and maca. it takes a week or two for it to kick in but my wife knows when it does lol. also I really really like ZMA at night for better sleep when I'm training hard.

yeah that makes perfect sense, well put

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In addition to those I like Goat Weed and Maca, but I usually find a supp that includes the Ashwaganda, goat weed and maca. it takes a week or two for it to kick in but my wife knows when it does lol. also I really really like ZMA at night for better sleep when I'm training hard.

yeah that makes perfect sense, well put
Appreciate the tips.

Try generic daily cialis at 2.5 to 5 mgs per day. It’s completely on-demand, and no semis. It’s dirt cheap at Costco.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really appreciate the insights. I’m with you on the deadlifts.

Part of my problem is I’m a hiker and usually do two 5-7 mile hikes a week, reasonably steep grade. And then my wife can only train Saturday-Monday, so I only have a day’s rest between DLs and squats. My hips and legs are sore all the time, and I’m just recovering from a minor lower back injury from losing my retraction during a deadlift. Frankly, I’m astonished that I’m pulling as much as I am given that I’m pretty much always sore on DL day. But my squat definitely is suffering, between lower back issues and lack of recovery.

Can someone’s wife pump me some breast milk — bc I know I’m a ninny? But I do need to listen to my body. So I’m gonna leave more in the tank for my AMRAP sets. I’ve been at RPE 8-9 on DLs; maybe I’ll shoot for 7. That will reduce the volume some.

Ironically, I can do heavy singles all day without overtraining. It’s usually the volume that’s the problem now that I’m old. Then again, I feel like I need more volume for bench press.

I’m thinking about doing a modified 5-3-1, where you do 5-5-5+, then 5x5, and then 5,5, 1+. I think this may help me on the soreness and give my benching the volume I’d prefer.

At any rate, appreciate you. You’re quite wise for 31 yo!
Have you read 5/3/1 Forever? Essentially, Wendler concedes that everything can work differently for everyone at different points in their training for different lifts as well. I mean that’s just how it is - what is best for your overhead pressing isn’t going to mirror deadlift needs. He offers endless scheme modifications to experiment with as well as insight on when/why they may be good ideas (and for who they aren’t, in his experience).

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Have you read 5/3/1 Forever? Essentially, Wendler concedes that everything can work differently for everyone at different points in their training for different lifts as well. I mean that’s just how it is - what is best for your overhead pressing isn’t going to mirror deadlift needs. He offers endless scheme modifications to experiment with as well as insight on when/why they may be good ideas (and for who they aren’t, in his experience).
Thanks Hyde. I only have templates and haven’t read the book, just some Wendler videos. I’ll check it out. Thanks man.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Seated OHP:
Warmups
5x105
5x120 (hit Jcups 2-3 times, argh!)
9x135 (expected 10; chalk it up to the vacation)

Strict Lateral Raises:
3x10

Internal/External Rotation on Pulley:
2x10

Quick & Dirty!

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Saw my physiatrist yesterday for trigger point injections. I have trigger points all over my back. Doc said it’s all good, just muscular. Treatment hurt like hell and left my back feeling like I just deadlifted. Will take today off as well, and resume tomorrow. Hoping this will help my squat — my lower back pain has been the limiting factor.

I’ve also decided to change my diet from from modest carbs to substantial carbs. I’ll be shooting for ~170 grams of protein, ~350 grams of carbs, and ~100 grams of fat. I’ve only been eating around 100 grams of protein per day, but now I have prepared drinks and even cereal with 20+ grams.

I’m a little concerned about a wet look, but I’d like to gain some weight (5lbs or so) and thicken up a little. Currently weighing 169 lbs. I was 176 lbs a couple weeks ago, but as soon as I stopped loading creatine, the water left me. Maybe I need to keep taking more than 2.5 grams per day for the time being. The creatine is very old, but I think it’s pretty stable.

Following this post are some current pics. (I only could embed them by putting under separate posts.) I just looked back, and I’m still down 4 inches on my legs since 2014 — and I’m sure they’ve grown 2-3 inches since beginning of year! When you’re old, like me, you lose it if you don’t use it.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Progress photos:

IMG_1336.JPG

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
IMG_1337.JPG

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Back Squat:
Warmups
170x5
185x3
215x6 (legs still feeling perpetually sore, but these felt pretty good)

Saving myself for a big hike tomorrow.

Leg extensions:
3x10

Hamstring Curls:
3x10

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You’re more jacked now than most of these young bucks. Be proud!
Thanks brother. Thank goodness for muscle memory, cuz I’m still embarrassingly weak. But strength will follow.

Sounds like you’re in a somewhat similar boat. I see you were heaving really hyooge loads just months back. Look forward to watching your comeback with this blast.

Glad you were able to enjoy the outdoors for that stint! Looks beautiful.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Started the day with a 6 mile hike/wog (15
min miles), followed by huge lunch (pupusas). Squatted yesterday, so legs and hips are pretty sore now. Came home and equivocated over working out, but my wife and workout partner pushed me through it!

CG Bench Press:
Warmups
145x5
166x5
185x10
185x8 (widened grip, but well within rings)

Viking Press Chest Press
3x8-12

Elevated Gymnastic Ring Push-ups
3x10

Tricep Rope Extensions
3x8-15

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm no expert, but I have years of experience with creatine and I know that the commonly accepted idea is that 5g is optimal and anything more than that your body will just excrete.... that said, I never saw any value in less than 10g / day for myself. but I always felt like after about a week of loading 10g+ of creatine daily I truly saw some incredible strength progress.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm no expert, but I have years of experience with creatine and I know that the commonly accepted idea is that 5g is optimal and anything more than that your body will just excrete.... that said, I never saw any value in less than 10g / day for myself. but I always felt like after about a week of loading 10g+ of creatine daily I truly saw some incredible strength progress.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve always responded to 2.5 mgs to 5 mgs per day. And I loaded this time, and definitely put on the typical 5 or so pounds. I think I’m going to buy a new bag and go with 5 to 10 mgs per day, at least for a while. Thanks man, appreciate you.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
right on, just stay hydrated! I have noticed after say 2 months of being on all my supps if I don't drink enough water, my appendix region starts to feel off like there is a rock in there. I have had days where if I lay on my stomach in bed it feels a tiny bit like like laying on a small pebble. I have had an MRI though and been told I have "chronic appendicitis" so it just flares up on occasion and heals on it's own. I have no idea if its related at all just seems like it from experience lol .

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hex Bar DLs:
Warmups
3x215
3x250
3x290
3x335
1x350
1x365 (I project a 400 lbs or so max, but this is the heaviest I’ve gone since my comeback this year. Not too hard, but my lower back is still a little achey post workout. It’s just the way it is — I have an S curved spine (scoliosis) and I’ve run out of Pamprin, haha.)

Bc of huge rogue bumpers, I ran out of real estate; in future, I’m gonna use thinner plates so I can go higher. I can only fit around 375 lbs on the 50 lbs bar. 9.25” sleeves are too short.

My 117 lbs wife (5’6”) just started hex bar DLing a couple months ago, and she hit an easy triple at 200 lbs today, but then failed at 215 lbs — couldn’t move bar off floor. Trying to persuade her to take creatine, to help her gain weight, but she’s refused so far. (She’s around 12% bf.) In a year, she’ll be a little beast.

T-bar Rows
3x8-12

Seated Rows
3x8-12

Facepulls
3x10

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Bumpers on a trapbar are the worst - like you said, they just eat up all of the limited real estate. I always wonder why the sleeves aren’t made longer on most. We had a coach who had a custom one made - that thing was 70lbs empty and could be loaded to 800lbs with iron 45s!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bumpers on a trapbar are the worst - like you said, they just eat up all of the limited real estate. I always wonder why the sleeves aren’t made longer on most. We had a coach who had a custom one made - that thing was 70lbs empty and could be loaded to 800lbs with iron 45s!
For sure. I only use one pair of bumpers — I have rubber flooring on concrete without a platform. I’m better off just using the 25 bumpers. As things stand, I can only get around 445 lbs total. I think I’ll pick up another pair of cast iron 45s (70 cents/lb) so I can get a little more mileage out of this bar.

Rogue makes a nice one and so does Bells of Steel. But I find it hard to rationalize spending $350+ on a hex/trap bar, particularly bc I have 3 nice barbells, but I may soon have to cave. Then again, once I hit 500, I’ll return to a conventional barbell.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey don't get discouraged if you move to steel plates and the deadlifts feel heavier. I tend to use bumpers as well because I'm lazy but the steel plates don't distribute the weight the same way and it does legit make it feel like a heavier deadlift even though it's exactly the same weight.

if you're having some lower back soreness throw in some extra core work for both the front and the back. try some RDL's. If you have access to a GHD machine or reverse hypers I'd add those as accessories post workout.

Maybe bent over barbell rows, even power cleans to build that deadlift support.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey don't get discouraged if you move to steel plates and the deadlifts feel heavier. I tend to use bumpers as well because I'm lazy but the steel plates don't distribute the weight the same way and it does legit make it feel like a heavier deadlift even though it's exactly the same weight.

if you're having some lower back soreness throw in some extra core work for both the front and the back. try some RDL's. If you have access to a GHD machine or reverse hypers I'd add those as accessories post workout.

Maybe bent over barbell rows, even power cleans to build that deadlift support.
You’re the man. This is very helpful! I am doing barbell rows or tbar rows every week, but not the other suggestions.

I’m also finding really hot showers afterwards help me. I suppose that’s obvious, but I just learned that last night, haha.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You’re the man. This is very helpful! I am doing barbell rows or tbar rows every week, but not the other suggestions.

I’m also finding really hot showers afterwards help me. I suppose that’s obvious, but I just learned that last night, haha.
Only way to go after lower body sessions for me. Must have!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
For a while I did 10-20 minutes of LISS on the treadmill to warm up for squats and stuff but I later decided my energy was better if I went straight to the barbell, then finished with the LISS.

The RDL's are my superfood of barbell training. I tore a ligament in my back around 2015- or 2016 and my deadlift fell from 450 to 135 and still hurt enough to make me want to puke. I truly believe that RDL's (higher rep sets even, like 8-10+ at lower weight) fixed my back. I put a lot of effort into squeezing my glutes and feeling my right leg do more work (after the injury my left leg became lazy and I realized later when doing pistol squats it lost like half it's strength and I didn't even know it, lol)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I’ve recently jumped on the ice cold shower protocol. Seems to help recovery and the interwebs says it boosts test, even more than the 600 mg I’m sticking in my bum weekly lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’ve recently jumped on the ice cold shower protocol. Seems to help recovery and the interwebs says it boosts test, even more than the 600 mg I’m sticking in my bum weekly lol.
Good call. I used to do this with a Russian beast I trained with, alternating from cold to hot after workout and sauna. He introduced me and claimed the same about recovery and hormonal surge. I think he just wanted to see my package reduced to infantile size at the open showers at the gym, lol.

600 mgs, wow! I think that would render me a threat to society from the dopamine surge.

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good call. I used to do this with a Russian beast I trained with, alternating from cold to hot after workout and sauna. He introduced me and claimed the same about recovery and hormonal surge. I think he just wanted to see my package reduced to infantile size at the open showers at the gym, lol.

600 mgs, wow! I think that would render me a threat to society from the dopamine surge.
My old gym/hot springs in MT had an ice bath and a 104° tub right next to each other. It was divine! Junk shrinkage is real 🤣

600 is just enough to be dangerous

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My old gym/hot springs in MT had an ice bath and a 104° tub right next to each other. It was divine! Junk shrinkage is real 🤣

600 is just enough to be dangerous
That’s an awesome setup for sure.