Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Always good to start easy on deads. I have the V2 SSB from Titan and it’s excellent.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Before getting really sick with Covid (forcing me to take off 6-8 weeks), I was only benching around 225 lbs and hex bar DLing close to 400 lbs. But then I lost 20 lbs in 25 days, reaching as low as 162 lbs for the first time in many years.

Well, the weight came roaring back and about one month later, I’m back up to around 175 lbs. Still sort of weak, but strength is building predictably. And oh yeah, I just recently turned 53.
Bench Press: 95x10, 125x8, 155x6, 185x6, 205x4, 225x2, 240x1 (heaviest push since surgery — went up nicely)
at 175lbs, post surgery, when you were benching 225 pre-surgery(?) a 240 x 1 seems damn respectable to me...

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
at 175lbs, post surgery, when you were benching 225 pre-surgery(?) a 240 x 1 seems damn respectable to me...
Haha, thanks man, but I was benching around 280 lbs pre-surgery at 188 lbs. I think I could manage 250-255 lbs now, so not too far. Hope to get to 275 lbs by year end, while staying 175-180 lbs. But the great thing is it’s pain free now and my form is better. The sky is the limit, lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Always good to start easy on deads. I have the V2 SSB from Titan and it’s excellent.
Yeah, thanks, I’m really looking forward to it given my perennial shoulder challenges! Mine is V2 too, I’m pretty sure. Like new condition, but a few years old.

I’ve managed to keep my legs reasonably developed just hiking and walking hills regularly the last 2 years. It will be interesting to see how that translates. Still have a little fear after the myofascial tear a few years back. Man that hurt, and then it recurred months later. In any event, this is long overdue — just need to man up, haha.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, thanks, I’m really looking forward to it given my perennial shoulder challenges! Mine is V2 too, I’m pretty sure. Like new condition, but a few years old.

I’ve managed to keep my legs reasonably developed just hiking and walking hills regularly the last 2 years. It will be interesting to see how that translates. Still have a little fear after the myofascial tear a few years back. Man that hurt, and then it recurred months later. In any event, this is long overdue — just need to man up, haha.
You don’t need to train to failure. Leave sets and reps in the tank. As long as there is progression over time, you should expect a stimulus eventually. Especially as far as waking up/restoring old/previously built muscle.

It can be very, very difficult to build brand new muscle, but getting back to 80% of old previous size is usually comically easy.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You don’t need to train to failure. Leave sets and reps in the tank. As long as there is progression over time, you should expect a stimulus eventually. Especially as far as waking up/restoring old/previously built muscle.

It can be very, very difficult to build brand new muscle, but getting back to 80% of old previous size is usually comically easy.
This is great advice as I continue to avoid! Appreciate you, brother!

And, thankfully, just confirmed I have the Titan SSB V2. I probably should have been more careful to make sure, since the V1 notoriously sucks ass, but it all worked out. Surprised to see these on sale for $256 (and you can always get 10% off), pretty good deal. But I got mine for $140 and it’s like new, so all good.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Howdy folks! Hope y’all are getting swole(r) and having a grand time!

Getting stronger, bit by bit, but just haven’t had as much time as I’d like to invest bc of aggressive summer travel schedule. I go to Chicago this coming weekend, and then I have 3 weeks to focus b4 going to Virginia for a week for college homecoming. Hope to start getting 4 days/week vs 2/week for last 6 months.

9/16:

Bench press: 95x8, 125x8, 155x6, 185x6, 210x3, 225x3, 235x1, 245x1 (Heaviest since shoulder surgery; should be good for 252.5-255 lbs; goal is to get back to 275-280 lbs by Thanksgiving, about what I was lifting with the multi-grip bar b4 surgery, but at 188 lbs — now I’m 175 lbs.)

DB Incline Press: 75x8, 85x6, 85x4
(Using Iron Masters, 1st gen, dumbbells now, go up to 120 lbs; the handles are really long, about 25% > conventional, and thus harder to balance, esp for first rep on heavy sets; they feel at least 5-10 lbs heavier to me.)

Tricep Ext s/s Tricep Pushdowns: 35x12/12, 40x12/12, 50x10/10

Weighted Ab Crunches: x15, x15, x15

9/18:

Hex DL: 150x8, 200x5, 240x5, 280x5, 330x3, 370x3 (These felt heavier than expected. Heaviest I’ve gone since shoulder surgery. Just picked up a pair of nearly new Iron Grip urethane 45s for $80!!! Alas, they are slightly bigger than my bumpers and hit the ground like iron!)

Hyperextensions: 3x25 (Back is sore today from a lot of hiking lately.)

Seated OHP: 45x8, 70x8, 90x6, 110x6, 125x6, 135x4 (Took it easy on these; I’ve lost a fair bit of strength; haven’t been focusing on them enough since shoulder surgery.)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is the first time in a long, long while that I’ve trained a body part twice in a week. But it’s time to start stepping it up a little so this old man can keep pace with you youthful phuckers.

Bench Press: 95x8, 135x8, 175x6, 205x4, 225x4 (probably had one more, but that’s it), 250x1 (that’s the most I’ve hit since surgery without leaving much in the tank; 257.5-260 is the probable max); 185x10.

Back to ~1.5xBW, 10 months post surgery, happy as a clam!

Incline DB Press: 75x8 (tweaked my shoulder throwing these up; not loving these IronMaster DBs, but have to get used to them as I’m out of room for heavy DBs); 75x8 (that’s a wrap!)

Tricep Extension s/s Pushdowns: 45x10/10, 50x10/10, 55x10/12

Short but sweet.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Progress Pic — back is broadening; need to start incorporating dips, which I’ve avoided bc they’re hard on my recovering shoulders.

IMG_5443.JPG

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
maybe you could start with assisted dips either on the "dip machine" or with bands and work your way up to legit dips?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lookin sexy old man.
He could do a lot worse, couldn’t he? This is admirable shape, @jinxie

maybe you could start with assisted dips either on the "dip machine" or with bands and work your way up to legit dips?
Thought this same thing, double up a big band around the upper arms or wearing a slingshot would take a lot of stress off the most dangerous part of the lift while letting you still try them out.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Appreciate you, broski! I can actually do regular dips again, just need to be careful, disciplined.

I’ve run out of gym room and am actually selling my nice dip station. But I ordered some handles for my rack. The last ones I tried were too wide, but these have 2 sets of handles, so they might work. We’ll see — they arrive today; I’ll return them if I don’t like them.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’ve run out of gym room and am actually selling my nice dip station. But I ordered some handles for my rack. The last ones I tried were too wide, but these have 2 sets of handles, so they might work. We’ll see — they arrive today; I’ll return them if I don’t like them.
This wouldn't be my recommendation for a newbie recovering from an injury but going back to my xfit days of course we always had gymnastics rings hanging from the rigs for dips... doesn't take up any space. you may or may not gain more from the added use of stabilizers, you may or may not increase risk of injury. however you can still use bands on ring dips as well.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This wouldn't be my recommendation for a newbie recovering from an injury but going back to my xfit days of course we always had gymnastics rings hanging from the rigs for dips... doesn't take up any space. you may or may not gain more from the added use of stabilizers, you may or may not increase risk of injury. however you can still use bands on ring dips as well.

View attachment 236218
Thank brother — I have them set up already, but haven’t used them since my surgery. I think I might hang up my cleats as for dips. Emailed my ortho and he pretty firmly cautioned against doing them ever again. It’s not a huge deal — I feel I work my chest pretty well with just flat and db incline, and I’m about to add a second session using my parallel multi-grip bar, which will include close grip.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
9/28

Back

Lat Pulldowns: 100x12, 115x10, 130x10

Low Rows: 100x10, 115x10, 130x10

Hyperextensions: x25, +20x15, +30x15

9/30

Bench: 95x8, 135x8, 175x6, 205x4, 230x4 (was a struggle!), 185x8 (shoulder is still bothering me a little, so laying low.)

DB Incline Bench: 55x10, 55x10, 55x8 (went easy bc shoulder is bothering me.)

Tricep Ext s/s Pushdowns: 40x12/12, 50x10/10, 55x10/8

Weighted Crunches: 3x15

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
10/1:

Just did a light back day a few days, so just a quick and dirty one today.

Hex DL: 150x8, 190x5, 240x5, 280x5, 330x5, 390x1 (definitely good for 3+, but taking it easy on my sore shoulder)

Lat Pulldowns: 100x10, 115x10, 130x10

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
10/8:

Bench press: 95x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x4, 205x5, 185x4 (aborted — bad pain at left shoulder, the non-injured one, lol; praying I didn’t tear it!)

DB Incline Press — aborted after one rep at just 35 lbs

Tricep Extensions s/s Pushdowns: 35x15/15, 40x15/15, 50x12/12

10/10:

Used the ice cooler on each of my shoulders while sleeping last 2 nights — will do same for next 2.

Bench: barx45, 95x8, 135x8, 160x6, 185x8 (all sets felt good)

DB Incline: 35x8, 45x8, 55x8, 65x8, 75x6 (felt good)

My shoulders are fine!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Had me scared reading that
Thanks boss, me too! A left shoulder repair after the right would be just dreadful!!! Not until my early 60s, dammit! :)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
10/12:

Quick one …

Hex DL: 150x8, 220x5, 280x5, 330x5, 360x4 (those went up nicely, had 2 in the tank; projecting 415-420 1 rep max, a little less than last year, but I weigh 9 lbs less, and I’m even older, lol!)

Seated DB Curls: 15, 25, 35, 40x8

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Still babying my shoulders …

10/13:

Parallel-grip Bench Press: 45x8, 95x8, 125x8, 155x8, 185x8, 205x5, 205x5 (these bothered my shoulders on the closer grip, but were perfect at wider grip)

Misc. abs and Tricep work.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
WTF you doing in here? Jinxie's Injury Scare Odyssey to compete with Hyde's Strength Odyssey? 😅😅

Even though I have strong reservations about any doctor that says "never again" seems like some more prehab work might be on the agenda for you to make sure those shoulders are BOTH super happy.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
WTF you doing in here? Jinxie's Injury Scare Odyssey to compete with Hyde's Strength Odyssey?

Even though I have strong reservations about any doctor that says "never again" seems like some more prehab work might be on the agenda for you to make sure those shoulders are BOTH super happy.
Good advice! I have one more trip (leave on Wednesday) and then things settle down such that I’ll have more time! I seem to be on the mend, using the polar ice cooler while I sleep, rotating shoulders. Took an epsom bath after this morning’s session, lol! Thanks brother!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
10/15:

Hex DL: 150x8, 190x5, 240x5, 280x5 (stopping bc of low back pain from yard work, lol)

Hyperextensions: +20x15, 15, 15

Low Pulley Rows: 100x10, 115x10, 130x12

Stopping bc of pain; live to fight another day

10/16

Bench: 95x8, 135x8, 160x8, 185x10, 205x6 (rt shoulder still bothering me a little), 185x8

DB Incline: 45x10, 55x10, 65x8, 75x8

Tricep Extensions s/s Pushdowns: 45x12/12, 50x10/10, 55x10/8

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good advice! I have one more trip (leave on Wednesday) and then things settle down such that I’ll have more time! I seem to be on the mend, using the polar ice cooler while I sleep, rotating shoulders. Took an epsom bath after this morning’s session, lol! Thanks brother!
good luck homie. I've had a couple rotator cuff injuries and now days anytime I feel even a TWINGE in my shoulders, I immediately start throwing in extra banded work and kettlebell armbars. knock on wood.... it has really really helped keep me healthy.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I deload this week, perfect timing. Hope to catch up on some logs this week. (Visiting friends in VA and going to college homecoming — should be fun! Buddy will probably drag me to some hot yoga ****, lol. I could use it!)