MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like just the right cycle for your intentions.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
"-Var that’s probably Winnie 50mg/day "

:ROFLMAO:

The infamous "WinVar".
Yeah the sucky part of that is the a lot of people going for Var are trying to get the healing effects too and are getting quite the opposite in the form of brittle connective tissue...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
"-Var that’s probably Winnie 50mg/day "

:ROFLMAO:

The infamous "WinVar".
Yeah the sucky part of that is the a lot of people going for Var are trying to get the healing effects too and are getting quite the opposite in the form of brittle connective tissue...
Definitely didn’t give my wife any of the same results as all of the other var she’s taken, so she ditched it. Honestly she didn’t get much at all out of it, so it could be bunk entirely - I’ve only ever used it in a stack, so for all I know it’s chalk water.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely didn’t give my wife any of the same results as all of the other var she’s taken, so she ditched it. Honestly she didn’t get much at all out of it, so it could be bunk entirely - I’ve only ever used it in a stack, so for all I know it’s chalk water.
You know how that works. Just pretend its var and it may work. Placebo is powerful! :)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know how that works. Just pretend its var and it may work. Placebo is powerful! :)
Placebo is a helluva drug! Best thing is, at the end of the day it’s all you, you just didn’t know it. We humans are trivial beasts.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
05/24/2019 - Day 33
BW 214.2

Back Extension
2x17

Pull-ups
2x10

Box Jumps
2x5

Deadlift, Hookgrip on Powerbar
135,225,315x5
365x3
405 3x3
+straps
405,425x3

4” Blockpulls
365 3x3

Back Extension ss w/ Pull-ups
3x17 / 3x8

No belt today; first time pulling 4 plates since the surgery. Felt pretty snappy and just focused on technique. Grip is already getting stronger. Need to rebuild some work capacity!

Feeling good, enjoying the new addition of the 3AD. The Excalibur SARM powder actually tastes very good, which was a worry of mine.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
05/25/19 - Day 34
BW 212.0

10” Logpress (clean once)
72x10
122x5
142 2x5
152x6

Standing BB Strict Press
95,125x3
155 2x8, 1x6+2 push press

NG DB Flat Bench
55x26
50x30

Overhead Band Tri Ext (like Circus DB)
Monsterband under foot 3x11/arm

DB Curls
10,15x20
20x8,10,12

Band Pullaparts
Mini 3x30

Lat blood flow

Returned kegs for 10 sets of 8-10 while everyone did very light keg loads (cardio)

Fun day, back muscles were very sore from deadlifts but didn’t have any trouble cleaning the log. Kept it very light and just feeling out technique for first time in months. My tricep lockout actually felt weakest on the strict pressing so need to probably get some heavier benching in soon and/or some push pressing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
05/27/19 - Day 36

Squat
45 2x5
135x5
225,275,315x1
355 4x2, 1x8

Hyper Extensions
+45 5x10

Chest-Supported Inc DB Row
75 2x12, 2x8

GHR
3x15

Keeping in trend with previous 2 microcycles, today’s AMRAP squat set was a true balls-out RPE 9.5-10. Temporarily lost some hearing and just kinda focused on not passing out after the set. A good day under the barbell.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
05/27/19 - Day 36

Squat
45 2x5
135x5
225,275,315x1
355 4x2, 1x8

Hyper Extensions
+45 5x10

Chest-Supported Inc DB Row
75 2x12, 2x8

GHR
3x15

Keeping in trend with previous 2 microcycles, today’s AMRAP squat set was a true balls-out RPE 9.5-10. Temporarily lost some hearing and just kinda focused on not passing out after the set. A good day under the barbell.
Solid. You doing 5th set? I pop in here and read time to time. But haven’t read through in a while

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Solid. You doing 5th set? I pop in here and read time to time. But haven’t read through in a while
For my squat, I have been last few weeks. Pressing & deadlift I have only been cleared to use my bicep for about 5 weeks so those I’m just rebuilding as I see fit.

5th Set works. It produced my best total to date, & it helped my wife set a world record in the circus db.

But I want to do more strongman comps, and training for that always means mashing things up, so I can only say I’m butchering it at best.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
For my squat, I have been last few weeks. Pressing & deadlift I have only been cleared to use my bicep for about 5 weeks so those I’m just rebuilding as I see fit.

5th Set works. It produced my best total to date, & it helped my wife set a world record in the circus db.

But I want to do more strongman comps, and training for that always means mashing things up, so I can only say I’m butchering it at best.
I like it for squats too. I have a hard time finding the groove in my squat. But I always know by that 5th set its there

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Rented Westside Vs The World last night. Definitely worth the few bucks, very entertaining powerlifting documentary. Some of the stories were just crazy!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gf is out of town this weekend, might have to rent it. What platform is it on?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, just caught up on the log. Good to see the grip coming back so quick. Your training choices always look so sound to me that I find it difficult to come up with things to comment on in here other than just "keep up the good work" or the occasional "good stuff man" on a particularly impressive.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gf is out of town this weekend, might have to rent it. What platform is it on?
I am almost certain it would be worth the $4-5 to you. YouTube, Google Play, Vudu have it for $4, and Amazon Prime & Vimeo have it for $5. I used Vimeo because I could use PayPal with them and I like what they stand for as a company.

It will probably get you fired up to get better honestly. I know I was.

Also, just caught up on the log. Good to see the grip coming back so quick. Your training choices always look so sound to me that I find it difficult to come up with things to comment on in here other than just "keep up the good work" or the occasional "good stuff man" on a particularly impressive.
Thank you - I try to be thoughtful, realistic, and also not a pussy whenever I can make myself look objectively at training. I am basically responsible for guiding Jessica’s training atm (which does NOT mirror my own) so I have had to think about training methodology a lot lately.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
05/29/2019 - Day 38
BW 214.2

Warmup

Bench
45 3x5
95,135,165x5
185x3
205x2
230,250,275x1
205 3x8

2-Board
225,230x5

Pull-ups
2x10, 3x9

Rolling DB Tri Ext
35x15
40x10,10,9

Seated Rear DB Flyes
20 3x12

DB Curls
15,20x15
25x8

First time touching with over 200 in months. Changing my entire setup on bench to go with my new healed shoes - did it more like in the video and instantly felt like I was much more stable as well as getting more from my lower body. Couldn’t believe it felt better first time practicing it even. Grip and bicep felt very confident, blasted 275 up easier than an opener.

Mark Bell may be a douche, and you could argue Mendy is too I suppose, but Scott is a really good guy in person and he is the best combined raw and shirted bencher in history. If you are serious about your bench, there is probably something useful to hear in this video.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, i guess i need to watch that video before tomorrow's bench day.

What does the wife's comp schedule look like this year?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, i guess i need to watch that video before tomorrow's bench day.

What does the wife's comp schedule look like this year?
Strongest Woman in the World is end of August at the Alaska State Fair outside Anchorage - they just announced yesterday there will be a 50lb salmon toss event (srs) Depending on placing there determines if she receives an invite to the Arnold Pro in March, which is the most exclusive heaviest comp in the world. They only take 12 women & it’s an open weightclass show.

America’s Strongest Woman is mid October in Miami Beach, and World’s Strongest Woman is early November in Daytona Beach I believe. As they’re so close and both in Florida, I suspect she’ll only do one of those.

Heeled shoes helped me plant deeper in my bench.
They were not helpful at all with my feet out in front of me, but tucked back some they instantly felt useful.

Say whatttt?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those Eskimo women will be tickled pink at tossing salmon instead of seals. Easy money!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks like a full competitive season. Wishing her the best in the comps, I'd love to see her get back into the Arnold (obviously). And those are my favorite types of events at strongman shows, the ones where they kind of bring in an aspect of the local region/culture. A salmon toss is perfect . Better get to practicing!

How bout you, you gonna get your feet wet again in a few months? 5-6 maybe? Id love to do a comp soon, really getting that urge to compete as it always brings out my best. Probably wont be able to swing anything until early next year after I graduate and move back towards the MW.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Those Eskimo women will be tickled pink at tossing salmon instead of seals. Easy money!
This is the actual fake salmon:

IMG_2365.JPG

Looks like a full competitive season. Wishing her the best in the comps, I'd love to see her get back into the Arnold (obviously). And those are my favorite types of events at strongman shows, the ones where they kind of bring in an aspect of the local region/culture. A salmon toss is perfect . Better get to practicing!

How bout you, you gonna get your feet wet again in a few months? 5-6 maybe? Id love to do a comp soon, really getting that urge to compete as it always brings out my best. Probably wont be able to swing anything until early next year after I graduate and move back towards the MW.
Yeah almost every event is themed. Keg pressing, keg load race, truck push & dog sled backwards drag. Should be fun!

The Arnold Pro is so hard to make; it’s basically winners only from a handful of that year’s Pro competitions. You see how WSM has 3x the number of guys as the Pro Arnold. But she was only 2 spots away last year so it’s possible!

I am itching to do something. There’s a small local show 07/21 & I have a good acquaintance who I would be competing with. Very simple: Farmers, Log Press for reps, Max bb deadlift, Truckpull. Only the truck remotely makes me nervous. We’ll see how I am 6 weeks from now. Definitely want to do a meet once I gain some weight back eventually.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes indeed - really excited!

208.8lbs this morning:

View attachment 182843

This is as lean as I’ve been in 6 years, at 15lbs heavier than last time, so this is about as beach ready as you’re gonna see this ol’ boy
Just insane bro, you look fantastic. Different person than original pics.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
05/31/19 - Day 40
BW 213.6

Warmup

GHR
2x10

Box Jumps
2x5

Squat
45 2x5
135,225x5
295x3
345x2
375x1
405,425x2

Deadlift, Hookgrip on Powerbar
225,315,365x3
415,455,475,500x1

Hyper Extensions
5x18

Just wanted to let my body feel a little work around 90% on the big lifts. Based on how everything felt I believe I could squat about 455 & pull 550 right now without any taper. I have my regular 5th Set squat Monday so I didn’t do any more technical work on deads after the 500. Will get a bit more accessory in tomorrow.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
“Just letting the body feel it” he says. Pulls 500. Crazy.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So they said WSM 2019 was going to be held in the states this year (first time in years) in Bradenton, FL. We finally booked our hotel room Sunday on Anna Maria Island since they weren’t announcing where the events would be filmed yet & it seemed like a beautiful place.

GUESS WHERE THEY ANNOUNCED LAST NIGHT THE FILMING IS GOING TO BE??

IMG_2366.JPG

We are a 4 min drive or 1.5 mile walk to the beach it’s going to be on. I don’t think there’s a closer possible hotel. Gonna be awesome ♂

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So they said WSM 2019 was going to be held in the states this year (first time in years) in Bradenton, FL. We finally booked our hotel room Sunday on Anna Maria Island since they weren’t announcing where the events would be filmed yet & it seemed like a beautiful place.

GUESS WHERE THEY ANNOUNCED LAST NIGHT THE FILMING IS GOING TO BE??

View attachment 183391

We are a 4 min drive or 1.5 mile walk to the beach it’s going to be on. I don’t think there’s a closer possible hotel. Gonna be awesome ♂
Damn brotha! Livin the dream!!!!! This is honeymoon yes?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Damn brotha! Livin the dream!!!!! This is honeymoon yes?
Nope - just seizing the day! Super cheap fast direct flights from here to Clear Water, which is only a 75 min drive to Anna Maria. WSM is never in America - a lot of fans are gonna sleep on this and realize later it was their chance to see it without leaving the country. Our training partner is 71 and she may never have the chance again, so we’re going!

Honeymoon will be sometime this winter and we plan on doing a real one - like gone a full week, no comps, no watercuts, no scheduled lifting, just the two of us relaxing. We’ve never done that lol

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nope - just seizing the day! Super cheap fast direct flights from here to Clear Water, which is only a 75 min drive to Anna Maria. WSM is never in America - a lot of fans are gonna sleep on this and realize later it was their chance to see it without leaving the country. Our training partner is 71 and she may never have the chance again, so we’re going!

Honeymoon will be sometime this winter and we plan on doing a real one - like gone a full week, no comps, no watercuts, no scheduled lifting, just the two of us relaxing. We’ve never done that lol
Very cool man that is going to be a blast! I’d go if it were in the cards but no go this year. I guess a trenny-moon is off the table then eh?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats awesome man. Great instincts on just picking up the hotel room. Bradenton and Winterhaven, Florida are the towns where my college baseball team went to for spring break all 4 years for me. Truly a beautiful part of our country that is respected less than it should be. Everyone thinks of beach when they think of Florida, but this is winding roads with some beautiful country with orange gloves with rolling hills and lakes on the other side. I think you'll love it down there. Y'all lucked out...!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Very cool man that is going to be a blast! I’d go if it were in the cards but no go this year. I guess a trenny-moon is off the table then eh?
I don’t really wanna fight my whole honeymoon

Thats awesome man. Great instincts on just picking up the hotel room. Bradenton and Winterhaven, Florida are the towns where my college baseball team went to for spring break all 4 years for me. Truly a beautiful part of our country that is respected less than it should be. Everyone thinks of beach when they think of Florida, but this is winding roads with some beautiful country with orange gloves with rolling hills and lakes on the other side. I think you'll love it down there. Y'all lucked out...!
That’s awesome, got me even more hyped now!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/01/19 - Day 41

Farmers ~80ft
150x2
180x2
200x1 finally started feeling decent

10” Logpress
72x10
122,142,162x5
172 3x5

Seated Military
95,135x7
165 3x3 felt heavy af

JM Press
95 3x12

BB Curl
20 2x50

Pretty bad training; woke up exhausted, probably workout hangover from lifting heavy yesterday. Energy was nil and everything felt too heavy despite lots of rest between work.

Crazy pump on the high rep curls (tendon building). Looking way more jacked than I am strong; delts and even arms looking juicy. First time with a weighted carry since January so that was a little victory. Jessica also ran the 200s

Adding M1A at 40mg daily this last month. Will be trying to keep cals down to improve body comp as well as limit strength increase. Not trying to do dumb-dumb things right now, just rebuild for the future.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/03/19 - Day 43
BW 216.2

GHR
3x10

Squat
45 3x5
135x5
225x3
295,335x2
360 4x2, 1x9 RPE9

Back Extension
55 5x10

Chest-Supported DB Row
60x12
70 3x12

Standing Calves
100 3x10

Yesterday we helped my father-in-law set up a huge old Universal Gym Centurion cable tower down in his basement. We are going to lay down stall mat before final assembly so it’s just mocked for the minute, but it will be dope - has a Viking Press, Chest Press, leg press, upper and lower pulleys.

Naturally, this demanded 3 pieces of lasagna & multiple slices of cheesy garlic bread - bloat and power accordingly on tap today. Only had M1A in me for 48 hours, but feeding it is already producing changes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/05/19 - Day 45
BW 218.8

Bench
45,95,145,195x5
225 4x6

Yellow Slingshot
250,260x5

Pull-ups

Rolling DB Tri Ext
40x15
45 3x12

DB Curls
15x15,16,17

Rope Facepulls
60 2x25

Well, up 6lbs in 5 days from the M1A and yesterday was lower carb, caloric deficit, fasted til 2pm even. Getting jacked; even was able to hit same amount of pull-ups as last week despite being 5lbs heavier, if that illustrates how much horsepower it’s adding.

Feeling very good, not getting beat up with sides or anything.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/05/19 - Day 45
BW 218.8

Bench
45,95,145,195x5
225 4x6

Yellow Slingshot
250,260x5

Pull-ups

Rolling DB Tri Ext
40x15
45 3x12

DB Curls
15x15,16,17

Rope Facepulls
60 2x25

Well, up 6lbs in 5 days from the M1A and yesterday was lower carb, caloric deficit, fasted til 2pm even. Getting jacked; even was able to hit same amount of pull-ups as last week despite being 5lbs heavier, if that illustrates how much horsepower it’s adding.

Feeling very good, not getting beat up with sides or anything.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My lord man. 360x9 seems heavy as **** to me right now so nice set. Also, what I would do for 3 pieces of lasagna to just show up in my fridge right now is unspeakable. That sounds delicious, and like good fuel for an upcoming squat session!

Did you make some more progress on the Mendelson bench set up today?

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My lord man. 360x9 seems heavy as **** to me right now so nice set. Also, what I would do for 3 pieces of lasagna to just show up in my fridge right now is unspeakable. That sounds delicious, and like good fuel for an upcoming squat session!

Did you make some more progress on the Mendelson bench set up today?
Oh I’m sticking with it; it’s already immediately better than before - I always end up with my legs in the same place now (and even both sides), it’s easier on my discs and my shoulders, and really let’s me control the descent. And actually get some leg drive. The consistency of setup is huge.

This was the first week squatting out of last 5 that my squat felt decent. I have had to work harder every single week the previous month for 8 reps at lesser weights - this was the first week I only did RPE9. Normally I am seriously about to die after, like true RPE10 blood vessels popped on my shoulder dead for accessories. The funny thing is I did 405x10 after 455x4 around new year. This is just such a poor bodyweight/leverage for me compared to being fatter.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like you really stumbled on something that is going to work for you. Thats awesome, looking like one of those things that may make several things "click".

After reading that last paragraph...you know what time it sounds like it is? Time to get BEEFY with your new found insulin sensitivity from all the weight loss. Slow and meticulously over 6-7 mo and you could be built like a solid brick shît house at 240-250.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
F'n double post. What is the deal with this since the update?

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
After reading that last paragraph...you know what time it sounds like it is? Time to get BEEFY with your new found insulin sensitivity from all the weight loss. Slow and meticulously over 6-7 mo and you could be built like a solid brick shît house at 240-250.
Yeah that’s exactly right. It’s already happening. I was pushing so hard mentally prior to the wedding with all the stimulants and trying to train in a deficit, but now the wedding is over and the weights are real again - I need to eat enough to keep up with training, and not just exist on stimulants and willpower. Between backing out of a deficit and adding M1A I am blowing up. 219.2lbs this morning.

I am not intentionally trying to gain & will do my best to control the rebound, but it’s happening. Hunger has been high and sleep quality has been great. Basically trying to minimize weight gain now so it’s all primarily quality or water with minimal fat, then I’ll try to hold around whatever weight I settle at in off-time, then gain some more when I go back on in late fall.

Slow and steady, as you said, but letting my body get strong instead of holding down my weight artificially. If I am not strong enough to compete in amateur heavyweight...I’ll just have to get stronger or diet down again to make middleweight later.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/07/19 - Day 47
BW 219.2

Deadlift, powerbar
135x5
225,315x3
365x1
415x3 hookgrip failing
+straps
415x4
+belt
415x5
415x9

SSB GM
172,192x12

GHR
2x20

Lying Leg Raises
3x15 back pump city

Hyper Extensions
5x19

Good day of pulling. Erectors, hams, abs afterward and will do lats tomorrow after logpress. Starting to feel the M1A recovery-wise between sets. Took forever after 415x9 to get on with good mornings even though they were very light. Up 6lbs in 7 days though so I guess that’s to be expected.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/08/19 - Day 48
BW 220.0

10” Logpress
72x10
122,142x5
162,172x3
182,192x5

Incline DB Bench (descending every set)
40x25
55x20
70x20
80x12

Light-ass curls
Plenty

Everyone felt like hammered dog turds Saturday morning so didn’t get much done. Lats were sore from deadlift, repaired elbow was pissed off, had a ton to do all day getting ready for our wedding reception that night. 192x5 on the little log is definitely progress.

Our party that night was super awesome at least, so in the end it was all worth it. But man we worked our butts off to make it all come together how it did!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/10/19 - Day 50
BW 221.0 too much cake

Squat
45 3x5
135x3
225x3,2
275,325x2
365 4x2, 1x10

Hyperextensions
60 5x10

Incline Chest-Supported DB Row
80 4-5x8

Standing Calves
100 4x10

Visited dad for Fathers Day yesterday, then some friends. Been eating a lot of awesome leftover wedding cake Cake power!