Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, that will give you the freedom to load up and fuel up without having to worry too much about cutting. It will be interesting to see your strength increases at that weight….hey PRs on everything.
Deadlift just gets harder if you get too fat - your belly gets in the way of optimal position and grip suffers with fatter hands. But if you can make it up on squat and bench, it could still pay out - it’s about the total.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like from your starting point to get to too fat you would really have to work harder on gaining weight than improving leverage points. You are already pretty lean, or were when you changed gears. So you probably have a lot of room to add before the gut becomes the restrictive portion of the lift.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like from your starting point to get to too fat you would really have to work harder on gaining weight than improving leverage points. You are already pretty lean, or were when you changed gears. So you probably have a lot of room to add before the gut becomes the restrictive portion of the lift.
That is a good point - gaining weight doesn’t necessarily help the deadlift, but gaining deadlift specific muscle does (even if it’s in the abs). So as long as the ratio of fat to muscle accumulation doesn’t get totally overblown, I should still expect to be a better lifting machine overall. All of the best deadlifters do have tremendously thick waistlines.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is a good point - gaining weight doesn’t necessarily help the deadlift, but gaining deadlift specific muscle does (even if it’s in the abs). So as long as the ratio of fat to muscle accumulation doesn’t get totally overblown, I should still expect to be a better lifting machine overall. All of the best deadlifters do have tremendously thick waistlines.
I was listening to Dave’s table talk podcast today episode 201 with Greg Panora and Luke Edwards. It’s like 3 hrs long I’ve made it like 1.5 hrs but it’s highly entertaining and the west side stories are great. Didn’t know if you had seen it or not but I thought you might enjoy this episode!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was listening to Dave’s table talk podcast today episode 201 with Greg Panora and Luke Edwards. It’s like 3 hrs long I’ve made it like 1.5 hrs but it’s highly entertaining and the west side stories are great. Didn’t know if you had seen it or not but I thought you might enjoy this episode!
Oh dude that one was great; we were talking about it in the gym this morning - when Luke gets to the part about Louie snorting horse liniment & nobody even questioned him, I started cracking up

There’s a lot of gold in that episode, both entertaining stories but also a look at how training really was there at the time (and what ended up being more/less effective).

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Excited For you!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So as long as the ratio of fat to muscle accumulation doesn’t get totally overblown, I should still expect to be a better lifting machine overall. All of the best deadlifters do have tremendously thick waistlines.
30Ib isn’t a great deal on your frame these days mate. Go ham.
yeah dude huge difference in 30lbs of cheeseburgers vs the 30lbs you'll put on. it's a helluva commitment but zero doubt the strength gains are going to be phenomenal.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/14/23
BW 241.6

5 min walk

Back Extension
1x15

GHR
2x15

ss w/ Situps on GHR
3x15

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

Squat
45 3x2
135,225x3
315,385x1
+belt
425,455,480,505x1
425x3,3,1 *left adductor popped 3rd set

6/15/23 - morning

Reverse Hyper
210 2x20

Decided to add a few heavier singles in this session to keep some skill with greater intensity. Very happy with how that went - 505 moved just like 480 & 455, very smooth technically and no real slowdown. I hadn’t used any ammonia and thought about another hop to 530 but kept my focus - this was purely training, no testing. I am fairly confident 540+ would have been there.

Moved onto backdown sets to get my volume in. Everything was moving well, no shifting, but while coming down during my 3rd set my left (previously torn) adductor started to tear on rep 1. I instinctively cut it high & reversed to lockout successfully. I hoped I had just popped the seam on the leg of my boxer briefs, but the mild pain came pretty quickly to confirm.

Not really sure why this happened - my sincere hope is that it was just scar tissue breaking free. I did not collapse during this squat like the original tear 20 weeks ago, nor am I in as much pain or disability, so this is still plausible to me. Took 15mg Mk677, 900mg Curcumin, & injected 5mg TB500 into my adductor before bed.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
6/14/23
BW 241.6

5 min walk

Back Extension
1x15

GHR
2x15

ss w/ Situps on GHR
3x15

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

Squat
45 3x2
135,225x3
315,385x1
+belt
425,455,480,505x1
425x3,3,1 *left adductor popped 3rd set

6/15/23 - morning

Reverse Hyper
210 2x20

Decided to add a few heavier singles in this session to keep some skill with greater intensity. Very happy with how that went - 505 moved just like 480 & 455, very smooth technically and no real slowdown. I hadn’t used any ammonia and thought about another hop to 530 but kept my focus - this was purely training, no testing. I am fairly confident 540+ would have been there.

Moved onto backdown sets to get my volume in. Everything was moving well, no shifting, but while coming down during my 3rd set my left (previously torn) adductor started to tear on rep 1. I instinctively cut it high & reversed to lockout successfully. I hoped I had just popped the seam on the leg of my boxer briefs, but the mild pain came pretty quickly to confirm.

Not really sure why this happened - my sincere hope is that it was just scar tissue breaking free. I did not collapse during this squat like the original tear 20 weeks ago, nor am I in as much pain or disability, so this is still plausible to me. Took 15mg Mk677, 900mg Curcumin, & injected 5mg TB500 into my adductor before bed.
Awesome numbers as usual…..man I hope you didn’t re-injure your adductor, hopefully all your healing compounds will help. It was definitely good you got on top of it so quickly.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah hopefully you just bust through a little scar tissue and will resolve very quickly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A guy from the gym I’ve known for years referred me to his ART guy the other week that he swears by. I completed all their intake paperwork today and got the first available appointment in 10 weeks They have also put me on the waiting list for any cancellations, with a few people ahead of me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A guy from the gym I’ve known for years referred me to his ART guy the other week that he swears by. I completed all their intake paperwork today and got the first available appointment in 10 weeks They have also put me on the waiting list for any cancellations, with a few people ahead of me.
Yeah, I just made 2 appointments for my ART guy next week when I get back. It is the best thing I have found out of all of the treatments I have undergone.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/16/23

Widegrip Bench
45,135,155,175,195,215,225,235,245x8

BB JM Press
45,95x20
115x15

Straightbar Tri Pressdown
10 rep sets working up to:
88x10
104x7

alt w/ Wide NG Lat Pulldown
99,110x20
121,143x15
165x9

Reverse Pec Deck
Warmup
160x10+4+3 rest pause

Hammercurls
45x12,10

Back Extension
90 2x12

ss w/ GHR Situps
+25 2x10

BB Wristcurls
50x14 underhand, 13 overhand

10 min walk

Woke up hacking green snot yesterday (no surprise as it’s week 2 of a new summer daycare program for my boy). Feeling fatigued from whatever sinus bug I have, so I slept in a bit later & kept this session a bit easier/abbreviated.

Between all the carbs I’m eating these days & the Mk677 last 2 nights, my pumps are absolutely insane.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How’s the adductor? Can you feel any bumps in it when you poke it?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How’s the adductor? Can you feel any bumps in it when you poke it?
I’ve had 3 sleep cycles now and I feel it’s doing really well. I can squat to depth without pain in a close/medium stance, but I can’t get wide yet without discomfort. If I load my leg harder in a wide position it may bark.

No bumps, no bruises!

All that considered, I’m still hopeful it was scar tissue; either way it’s essentially the best case scenario. I plan to pin more TB500 tomorrow night.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds good, hopefully full recovery with no further issues!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Back atcha! Looking forward to some Fajitas on the Blackstone this afternoon after my lower session. What do you have planned for today?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/18/23
BW 245.6

5 min walk

Back Extensions
2x15

ss w/ GHR Situps
+25 2x12

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

Rogue 8” Hi Handle Trapbar
150x5
240x3
330,420x1
+belt & straps
510,560,580,610,630x1

GHR
vs miniband x12
vs mini & micro x8
vs mini & doubled micro 2x5

CS NG Low Machine Row
110,130x15
150x12
170x10
190x8

Lying Leg Curl
58x100 straight

Wall Sit
~45 seconds

Good Girls
10,20,30,40,50x10
50x50

ss w/ Bad Girls
50x50

You might be tempted to think a max effort day with a couple reps over 600 was hard training, but contextually this represented a significant deload from the barebones 5x5 floor pulls & 6x10 deficit straightlegs the last 3 weeks have been. Just wanted a break, and honestly this was some good neurological, tendon, and mental conditioning. Adductor felt fine this session.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/18/23
BW 245.6

You might be tempted to think a max effort day with a couple reps over 600 was hard training, but contextually this represented a significant deload from the barebones 5x5 floor pulls & 6x10 deficit straightlegs the last 3 weeks have been. Just wanted a break, and honestly this was some good neurological, tendon, and mental conditioning. Adductor felt fine this session.
Yeah, that was probably the right move on the trap bar DL's. Less adductor, easier on lower back, and a lot less volume overall. Of course you always seem to make great audible calls. I have learned a lot from watching how you swap things out and reading your reasoning. I love tapping into all of that info you have access to with all of the high level people you and your wife make it your business to train with and learn from. Just reading how you manage a lot of things in your training helps me to conceptualize the process better even though you and I are on different training paths. Anyway, just wanted to let you know how much seeing you do the right thing while maintaining a life balance and good family priorities has had a positive affect on me. You are indeed a good influence which is an awesome find in today's landscape.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, that was probably the right move on the trap bar DL's. Less adductor, easier on lower back, and a lot less volume overall. Of course you always seem to make great audible calls. I have learned a lot from watching how you swap things out and reading your reasoning. I love tapping into all of that info you have access to with all of the high level people you and your wife make it your business to train with and learn from. Just reading how you manage a lot of things in your training helps me to conceptualize the process better even though you and I are on different training paths. Anyway, just wanted to let you know how much seeing you do the right thing while maintaining a life balance and good family priorities has had a positive affect on me. You are indeed a good influence which is an awesome find in today's landscape.
Man that is a very cool thing to read; I appreciate you saying that and am glad if you found anything useful!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Watching you still powerlifting makes me want to powerlifting, but then I remember that I’m old and crippled and decide against it.
Lol just depends on what you really want to do. You have to want it. You cannot possibly justify the time, energy, pain, and attention you will invest unless it’s simply an arbitrary priority, for love of the game.

I know there will be a time when competition is behind me, either from too much injury or simply a lack of passion to go on, but that’s how it is for everyone. My hope is I can do it as long as I still desire, and that I can lift in some capacity beyond that until I die!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol just depends on what you really want to do. You have to want it. You cannot possibly justify the time, energy, pain, and attention you will invest unless it’s simply an arbitrary priority, for love of the game.

I know there will be a time when competition is behind me, either from too much injury or simply a lack of passion to go on, but that’s how it is for everyone. My hope is I can do it as long as I still desire, and that I can lift in some capacity beyond that until I die!
Agreed!!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I can't imagine, not being able to lift in my future !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
2 days later, still feeling good? no significant doms etc? even without the volume... 630 is quite heavy lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2 days later, still feeling good? no significant doms etc? even without the volume... 630 is quite heavy lol.
Nothing from the hi handle singles, but between the heavy banded GHRs for the first time in years and the hi-rep tendon work for my hams and hips, those are both feeling smoked!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/20/23
BW 247.4

Band Pullaparts, Presses, Facepulls, Pressdown, Rotators

Bench
45x10
135,185x5
225x3
255,285,310,330,345x1
+yellow slingshot
360,375x1
-gear
300 4x6

Closegrip Bench
255 4x6

29 work reps at 300+lbs: things are beefing up! Today felt like some hard-ass work, but this day always is - and it does seem to be working.

Blood sugar fasted yesterday at both 10am and noon was 102 yesterday, and BP after a couple cups of coffee at noon was 132/78, pulse 64, so I did not take Mk677 last night & am done with it. It has way to big of an impact on water retention (+6lbs in a week) and glucose to have a place in what’s already a power bulk, injury or no. I’ll use GH if necessary, but the all-day GH bleed of MK is too hard on my sugars. I will keep an eye on glucose and implement some Metformin if necessary.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The slingshot work is easier than the raw; I actually raised my top slingshot single 10lbs this week instead of 5 like everything else to make it a bit harder. I have been using it more as the future method than a real builder. Just letting my body partially handle the weights to come.
I am really loving that it lets the body practice much heavier weight without destroying you. the last SS session I had I bobbled 320 or 325 from the bottom and it made it clear to me how important it is to maintain 100% focus through that entire lift on these heavier weights.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am really loving that it lets the body practice much heavier weight without destroying you. the last SS session I had I bobbled 320 or 325 from the bottom and it made it clear to me how important it is to maintain 100% focus through that entire lift on these heavier weights.
And the value of a slight pause, or at a minimum changing direction under control.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/21/23
BW 246.2

5 min walk

GHR
1x15, 3x12

ss w/ GHR Sit-ups
+25 3x10

Double KB One-leg Deadlift
DB Suitcase Carries

Frontsquat
BW,45,95,115,135,155x10

15” Rackpulls w/ straps
135,225,315,365,415x5
+belt
465x5

Legpress
230,320,410,500x20

Walking Lunges
BW 3x10/leg

Adductor did well with everything tonight, so hoping for a faster turnaround than last time. Increased GHR & sit-up volume, flushed a ton of blood into my legs, and got some useful work in without taking any chances.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear the adductor seems to be recovering well. Nice session!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/23/23
BW 246.0 yesterday

Band Pullaparts, Flyes, Presses, Snatch

Widegrip Bench
45x10,5,10
95,135,175,195,205,215,225,235,245,255x8

BB JM Press
45,95,115,135x15
155x12

Wide NG Lat Pulldown
80,120,160x10
200x8

Chin-ups
4x8

Band Pullaparts
Monstermini x50

8x8 is hard. So is training while getting fatter, in the summer humidity, as it turns out.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
In reading more conjugate stuff and watching your posts I've been trying to tinker with more wide grip cautiously, ever so cautiously since historically it's been hell on my shoulders but I gotta say lately... some good wide grip with zero shoulder pain has yielded crazy different doms that I'm not used to. sorta digging it!

So is training while getting fatter, in the summer humidity, as it turns out.
😅🤘

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
6/23/23
BW 246.0 yesterday

Band Pullaparts, Flyes, Presses, Snatch

Widegrip Bench
45x10,5,10
95,135,175,195,205,215,225,235,245,255x8

BB JM Press
45,95,115,135x15
155x12

Wide NG Lat Pulldown
80,120,160x10
200x8

Chin-ups
4x8

Band Pullaparts
Monstermini x50

8x8 is hard. So is training while getting fatter, in the summer humidity, as it turns out.

Funny, but not. Sometimes you just have to do what ever it takes!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look at that weight climbing though! Good stuff! Doing the damn thing as usual!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/25/23
BW 245.4

5 min walk

GHR
BWx12

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift
Roll Adductor & Soles of Feet
Hip Stretching

Frontsquat
BW,45,95,145,195,215x5

Deadlift, stiffbar
135x5
225,315x3
385x5
+belt
415,435,455x5

Deficit SLDL, beltless
315 4x8

GHR
vs miniband 2x12

Wide NG Pull-ups
3x10

Another super sweaty solid deadlift day in the books! Making progress and setting up to keep things progressing in weeks to come. Raises Frontsquat weights some and was happy to notice nothing from the adductor.

Bumped DHB to 70mg this week (along with my 200 mast e & 300 test e).

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good to hear your adductors are not giving you a problem!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session, good to hear the adductors are holding up nicely!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/27/23

Band Pullaparts, Presses, Facepulls, Pressdown, Rotators, Rows

Bench
45x10
135,185x5
225x3
255,285,315,335,350x1
+yellow slingshot
365,380x1
-gear
305 4x6

Closegrip Bench
260 4x6

This one was truly tough! 350 moved really easily, but the rest of the session was brutal. I don’t even know if I should deload next week or if it’s fine to just keep pushing - every week this day is always hard AF, and every week I manage to still complete it.

This is the most I’ve benched since my elbow surgery in December.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Only one way to find out.