Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everybody!

Happy birthday man!
Hawaiian bagels? I can’t say I have heard of those before but looks like a good meal.
The dough is yellow tinted & a lot like those Kings Hawaiian sweetbread rolls - made into delicious bagels! They offer practically zero satiety, just 50g of carbs/240 cals you could smash effortlessly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everybody!

Happy birthday man!
Hawaiian bagels? I can’t say I have heard of those before but looks like a good meal.
The dough is yellow tinted & a lot like those Kings Hawaiian sweetbread rolls - made into delicious bagels! They offer practically zero satiety, just 50g of carbs/240 cals you could smash effortlessly.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I bought some Peach Stuff sausage, I was surprised how good it was !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh, Happy Birthday !!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MMMMMM Bagels! I had an everything bagel yesterday but didn't really have much to put on it. I mixed some plain greek yogurt with some habanero salsa and made a spread for it that was pretty good. Not amazing but definitely did the trick. I actually prefer to use a good spicy hummus on my bagels now instead of cream cheese or other spreads. Just seems a little healthier, brings in some fiber and other nutrients and just tastes damn good.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
MMMMMM Bagels! I had an everything bagel yesterday but didn't really have much to put on it. I mixed some plain greek yogurt with some habanero salsa and made a spread for it that was pretty good. Not amazing but definitely did the trick. I actually prefer to use a good spicy hummus on my bagels now instead of cream cheese or other spreads. Just seems a little healthier, brings in some fiber and other nutrients and just tastes damn good.
I just found a Brand - Flavor of Hummus I really like, I have been using it as a condiment on about everything !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks all! It was a great one.

Happy birthday old man
Shoot, I feel like I’m just getting going!

Mashing up some ripe avocado is very good on a toasted bagel as well!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/9/23
BW 252.2

5 min walk

GHR
BWx12

Roll Adductor & Soles of Feet
DB Suitcase Carries
DB One-leg Deadlift

Deadlift, stiffbar
135x5
225,315,385x3
+belt
425,455,475x3
+straps
475x5

Deficit SLDL, beltless
335 4x8

Pretty exhausted going into this one, so I pulled the volume back & dropped accessories to just focus on getting some quality lifting in.

Drove about 600 miles from Friday night and yesterday. Took my son to see my Mom on my birthday Friday night, then wife & I went to a United States Strongman competition in MO yesterday while Grandma watched him. The morning session was a Masters Pro show and the afternoon comp was amateurs. Wife judged for BOTH shows. We brought her circus dumbbell & weights so she could train for her upcoming contest between the shows.

Brian Shaw was there as a guest celebrity, and we were invited to come train with him during the half time, but the Masters show ran late so we simply didn’t have the time to leave the venue to go with him & get back for her to judge. My wife is 6 weeks out from an all-time world record attempt, so we had to focus on executing what mattered: we brought our foam drop-pad right into the venue & set up on the concrete floor in front of all the athletes. Her coach was there to help as well, and my wife smashed out an excellent 2x2 with a 125lb fat db. Quite a few of both the pro & amateur athletes watched her lift.

It was really nice to just get to go watch a competition without having to watch over & entertain my son for the first time ever. He had an awesome time with my family at the carnival and we all got to have a birthday dinner together as well. It was a great weekend!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
7/9/23
BW 252.2

5 min walk

GHR
BWx12

Roll Adductor & Soles of Feet
DB Suitcase Carries
DB One-leg Deadlift

Deadlift, stiffbar
135x5
225,315,385x3
+belt
425,455,475x3
+straps
475x5

Deficit SLDL, beltless
335 4x8

Pretty exhausted going into this one, so I pulled the volume back & dropped accessories to just focus on getting some quality lifting in.

Drove about 600 miles from Friday night and yesterday. Took my son to see my Mom on my birthday Friday night, then wife & I went to a United States Strongman competition in MO yesterday while Grandma watched him. The morning session was a Masters Pro show and the afternoon comp was amateurs. Wife judged for BOTH shows. We brought her circus dumbbell & weights so she could train for her upcoming contest between the shows.

Brian Shaw was there as a guest celebrity, and we were invited to come train with him during the half time, but the Masters show ran late so we simply didn’t have the time to leave the venue to go with him & get back for her to judge. My wife is 6 weeks out from an all-time world record attempt, so we had to focus on executing what mattered: we brought our foam drop-pad right into the venue & set up on the concrete floor in front of all the athletes. Her coach was there to help as well, and my wife smashed out an excellent 2x2 with a 125lb fat db. Quite a few of both the pro & amateur athletes watched her lift.

It was really nice to just get to go watch a competition without having to watch over & entertain my son for the first time ever. He had an awesome time with my family at the carnival and we all got to have a birthday dinner together as well. It was a great weekend!
I love reading this, I like seeing people spending time with family and just living life and having fun.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife is 6 weeks out from an all-time world record attempt, so we had to focus on executing what mattered: we brought our foam drop-pad right into the venue & set up on the concrete floor in front of all the athletes. Her coach was there to help as well, and my wife smashed out an excellent 2x2 with a 125lb fat db. Quite a few of both the pro & amateur athletes watched her lift.

that's awesome, sounds like her training is on fire right now too!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like such a great time. I bet the boy enjoyed his time with grandma too!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's the most important part !! I know my Grandkids LOVE there time with Grammie !! I think she might spoil them ?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
that's awesome, sounds like her training is on fire right now too!
Yeah she really has been getting some great sessions in overall. She benched 4x8@160 in the Phoenix last week, putting on some good top end tricep size/lockout power. And both her regular deadlift and farmers deadlift have been climbing steadily as well despite her bodyweight getting down to 150. I think having that second deadlift instance weekly with the farmers is making the difference.

That's the most important part !! I know my Grandkids LOVE there time with Grammie !! I think she might spoil them ?
She didn’t even try to put him to bed before we picked him up - there he was at 11:15pm in his jammies, watching cartoons, wide awake waiting for us!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah she really has been getting some great sessions in overall. She benched 4x8@160 in the Phoenix last week, putting on some good top end tricep size/lockout power. And both her regular deadlift and farmers deadlift have been climbing steadily as well despite her bodyweight getting down to 150. I think having that second deadlift instance weekly with the farmers is making the Difference.
Hopefully we can get to see some good video .

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/11/23

Circuit, 4 rounds x25 each:
Band Pressdown Monstermini
CS DB Row 25
Incline DB Bench 25,30,35,40

Bench
45,135x5
185,225x3
255,285,315,340,360x1
+yellow slingshot
375,390x1
-gear
310 4x6

Closegrip Bench
225x12

Benchpress weights are starting to get serious! I would say it feels heavy, but it’s always felt that way - the numbers just continue to escalate. Trying to add some extra warmup work in to raise GPP as well. Totally out of time for closegrip training, so I just repped 2 plates as I stripped the bar down.

Also, bumped DHB to 100mg on Sunday to begin week 8 of blast - now 300/200/100 test/mast/dhb. I can definitely see a big difference in how I’m filling my shirts and shorts out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is your best bench ?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol I know - not exactly the 4x6@260lbs done with a slow eccentric tempo per usual, but it’s all I had in me with zero rest!
I was looking at your slingshot numbers and thinking OK, 60lbs to go to chase down Hyde. then I saw the CGBP and though **** me running lol that's 1 more rep then my all time best with comp grip 😅 😅 not sure I've even tried cgbp over like 205 ha. gonna have to step it up some.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was looking at your slingshot numbers and thinking OK, 60lbs to go to chase down Hyde. then I saw the CGBP and though **** me running lol that's 1 more rep then my all time best with comp grip not sure I've even tried cgbp over like 205 ha. gonna have to step it up some.
When you see me do the 4x6 closegrip lately, that’s actually done with a tempo. I don’t keep it strict but usually 2-4 second eccentrics.

Today I had just finished the last 310x6, pulled the change off, got back on the bench and pumped out 12 closegrip normal speed. I don’t even know what I could do comp grip for max reps at 225 - it’s not really relevant to 1RM at all.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Hyde @Dustin07 you both have some very impressive lifts / numbers ! You inspire us all !! Thank you!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s awesome your wife is going for a world record in a few weeks, very impressive. Glad you and your family had a great time, and it’s always fun with the little ones, especially at that age where everything is an exploration. As impressive as that best Bench of 391 is, I believe you’re getting ready to fly by that and break the 405 Bench barrier.💪

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/12/23
BW 251.0

Circuit, 3 rounds:
Goblet Squats BWx25,20,15
GHR BWx20,15,15
GHR Sit-ups BW 3x20

Frontsquat
45,95,145x2
195,245,275x1
+belt
315,355,385x1
-belt
225 3x8

Legpress
+360,540x20

Good Girls
40,80x20
100,120x15

Felt really exhausted going into this for some reason and also had to train extra late so I couldn’t use my normal caffeine, but I was pleasantly surprised with my strength. Frontsquats just kept blasting up! I started passing out once I got to 315, so I had a spotter help me rerack 355 & 385 and shut it down for safety’s sake there - but I am fairly confident I could have eclipsed my lifetime best of 415 (if I could stay conscious). So that’s exciting.

Added more warmup volume before the big lift and tried to trim rest periods some as well.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s a serious front squat at 385, but your best at 415 is pretty amazing. To be honest, even if I could do a 415 front squat I would be a little freaked out to even attempt it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I can’t imagine what 415 would feel like in a front squat. I remember I took 355 x 1 back around my last powerlifting meet when I cut down to compete as a 165, and I think it almost killed me.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I started passing out once I got to 315

????

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
wow dude, keep going. outside of legit olympic lifters running intense clean and jerks, I don't think I've ever seen someone front squat 385+ before.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

????
When it gets heavier the bar seeks the lowest point and tends to role back onto my windpipe. So I can’t really take on any more air appreciably after I unrack it - once I take the weight, I’m on a very tight clock. And the harder I strain to make the lift, the more oxygen my muscles use up.

I have been able to fix it in the past some, but my delts were also smaller then.

wow dude, keep going. outside of legit olympic lifters running intense clean and jerks, I don't think I've ever seen someone front squat 385+ before.
This is 415lbs from the beginning of 2019:

IMG_8344.JPG

Jezze Uepa has done 893lbs/405kg:

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
When it gets heavier the bar seeks the lowest point and tends to role back onto my windpipe. So I can’t really take on any more air appreciably after I unrack it - once I take the weight, I’m on a very tight clock. And the harder I strain to make the lift, the more oxygen my muscles use up.

I have been able to fix it in the past some, but my delts were also smaller then.

View attachment 234184

took my boy to get his first suit a few weeks back and Mr Ray at the mens store said he needed to go up a waist size and tailer it in because he had that thunder in his legs. You Sir, have the thunder in your legs. hammies/quads looking thick in that shot.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
took my boy to get his first suit a few weeks back and Mr Ray at the mens store said he needed to go up a waist size and tailer it in because he had that thunder in his legs. You Sir, have the thunder in your legs. hammies/quads looking thick in that shot.
Lol they’re bigger now. I still have those shorts and I fill them out these days.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

????
It isn't super uncommon for lifters doing front squats/cleans.

Actual blocking of the windpipe isn't usually an issue unless it is longer sets.

Sometimes if the bar is sitting in the improper position (improper set up, it moves, or you catch a clean not exactly where you want) it can lead to occlusion of the carotid artery. Probably even more susceptible in larger/more muscular individuals since the musculature causes the occlusion not usually the bar directly.

Other times with tons of intrathoracic pressure you can decrease cardiac output which during a longer set can lead to lightheadedness or it can cause vagal nerve stimulation.

Hyde is experienced enough he probably knows this or how to counter it, just a FYI in case anyone else was wondering.

Eclipsing 400+ on Front Squats really is something though, you can get by with some wiggle room in some exercises, but the rigidity needed for that is tough.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It isn't super uncommon for lifters doing front squats/cleans.

Actual blocking of the windpipe isn't usually an issue unless it is longer sets.

Sometimes if the bar is sitting in the improper position (improper set up, it moves, or you catch a clean not exactly where you want) it can lead to occlusion of the carotid artery. Probably even more susceptible in larger/more muscular individuals since the musculature causes the occlusion not usually the bar directly.

Other times with tons of intrathoracic pressure you can decrease cardiac output which during a longer set can lead to lightheadedness or it can cause vagal nerve stimulation.

Hyde is experienced enough he probably knows this or how to counter it, just a FYI in case anyone else was wondering.

Eclipsing 400+ on Front Squats really is something though, you can get by with some wiggle room in some exercises, but the rigidity needed for that is tough.
What I know is I’m definitely passing out, as I will get very tingly all over especially in my legs and I lose my vision pretty rapidly (and balance after). But I was using a Cerberus deadlift belt, which is a simple soft ring, not a hard power belt. So excess pressure isn’t as likely as the carotid issue you’re mentioning.

Any tips for ways to combat that?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have never heard a discussion on solving the passing out. I know what you mean, I've seen stars many times and today I actually wondered if I would finish my top deadlift fully conscious but I haven't actually seen discussion on 'curing' it.

Probably even more susceptible in larger/more muscular individuals since the musculature causes the occlusion not usually the bar directly.
I truly believe its a flexibility and practice thing. I personally do not at all like the crossed arm approach (I have no issue with it, I just am not comfortable with it) and that's likely cause I came into front squats from Oly lifting so from day 1 I had to learn a clean approach.

Klokov does not lack muscularity so for what it's worth, I believe big guys can get into position but like anything, it's likely a tough skill that requires some development. larger guys often take a wider grip if necessary until they can come in more.

you'll often see top athletes bounce the bar at the top to change their grip to jerk position too.

edit, I think it was Warsheeper back in the day that said their coach made them use straps when front squatting to force the hands to stay in clean position:

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

View attachment 234184

One word…..IMPRESSIVE 👏 💪