Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have never heard a discussion on solving the passing out. I know what you mean, I've seen stars many times and today I actually wondered if I would finish my top deadlift fully conscious but I haven't actually seen discussion on 'curing' it.

I truly believe its a flexibility and practice thing. I personally do not at all like the crossed arm approach (I have no issue with it, I just am not comfortable with it) and that's likely cause I came into front squats from Oly lifting so from day 1 I had to learn a clean approach.

Klokov does not lack muscularity so for what it's worth, I believe big guys can get into position but like anything, it's likely a tough skill that requires some development. larger guys often take a wider grip if necessary until they can come in more.

you'll often see top athletes bounce the bar at the top to change their grip to jerk position too.

View attachment 234195

edit, I think it was Warsheeper back in the day that said their coach made them use straps when front squatting to force the hands to stay in clean position:

It’s different with deadlift. Speaking from experience there, if that’s happening, it’s a breathing/pressurization/blood pressure management issue. You have to change how/when you breathe, where you place the belt or how tight it is, and/or what your bp is doing.

Realistically, I’m thicker than Klokov. Yes he’s more muscular, but he’s also much leaner. He’s quite lanky, and that grip was developed since he was a child in the weightlifting hall & has kept it as he grew. And he doesn’t have the damaged elbow flexion limitations I have - I thought about trying a strap, as that’s how plenty of people do it, but I literally don’t have one long enough to accommodate my left arm. It simply does not bend that much - it’s mainly off the bar when I Frontsquat now, unless the bar starts to roll forward.

Plus, none of the biggest frontsquats were done with a front rack hold, all by guys much thicker than Klokov. Warrick Brant, Derek Kendall, Jezze all do it cross-armed. Success leaves cues.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is anyone else as impressed as I am, day after day with Hyde's knowledge of the sport, it history and his willingness to share. Hyde you are truly one of the largest assets to this board. Thank you!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is anyone else as impressed as I am, day after day with Hyde's knowledge of the sport, it history and his willingness to share. Hyde you are truly one of the largest assets to this board. Thank you!
I just enjoy talking/learning about lifting (and doing it lol)!

@Dustin07 I was thinking about Klokov being taught to lift properly from a very young age and remembered this interview with Misha you might enjoy. It’s mainly about Misha but I remember finding it fascinating. They talk about being brought into the halls and taught technique. Then eventually they feed them Dbol - the ones who respond well, they keep training for weightlifting

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just enjoy talking/learning about lifting (and doing it lol)!

@Dustin07 I was thinking about Klokov being taught to lift properly from a very young age and remembered this interview with Misha you might enjoy. It’s mainly about Misha but I remember finding it fascinating. They talk about being brought into the halls and taught technique. Then eventually they feed them Dbol - the ones who respond well, they keep training for weightlifting

Haha that's awesome, I'll give it a look!
I remember a klokov interview years ago when they asked him how he felt about Froning. He said Froning very impressive athlete. Must have great pharmacist

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What I know is I’m definitely passing out, as I will get very tingly all over especially in my legs and I lose my vision pretty rapidly (and balance after). But I was using a Cerberus deadlift belt, which is a simple soft ring, not a hard power belt. So excess pressure isn’t as likely as the carotid issue you’re mentioning.

Any tips for ways to combat that?
I am going to be honest I don't know enough about it to probably warrant too much of a good response. It could still just be vagal nerve stimulation and maybe interactions with blood pressure? That or the fact that cross arm technique probably just makes it harder to elevate the shoulders and scaps to fight off the issues compared to other grip options, combining that with the fact most cross arm are due to just how muscular you/individuals who use it are, it honestly seems to me like it is unfortunately one of those trade off situations. Might not be "completely" avoidable without spending time increasing mobility, etc that probably just aren't worth your time just for front squatting, if that makes sense being it isn't a major goal for most in that position.

I usually solve it a bit on longer sets by breathing out/hissing a bit on the way up for front squats/cleans before re-engaging/breathing for the following rep, but I don't know how helpful that is for more maximal attempts. It only happens to me sometimes on longer 300+lbs front squat sets or because I catch a clean wrong.

Sorry I can't offer a better answer. I'm not muscular enough to have this issue too often. ;)

you'll often see top athletes bounce the bar at the top to change their grip to jerk position too.
A lot of them change grips because optimal pressing/jerking overhead positioning doesn't always mean the same hand positioning for receiving a clean.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have y’all tried not being such big bitches? That’s what helps me keep from passing out with front squats.
I have seen Clint Darden use a mega tub of ammonia that he duct-taped open to the top of his Viking harness that he uses to keep the lights on.

I did try huffing ammonia before 385, not like traditional nasal breathing but some inhalation with my mouth over the bottle to try to hyper oxygenate a little. I made the lift but it was a closer call than 355 still, timing-wise. Not really the solution.

Something I always forget about but may help - I’ve seen people use cans of portable oxygen for a big whiff before medleys and such right before they destroy everyone. Could be worth a try.

I am going to be honest I don't know enough about it to probably warrant too much of a good response. It could still just be vagal nerve stimulation and maybe interactions with blood pressure? That or the fact that cross arm technique probably just makes it harder to elevate the shoulders and scaps to fight off the issues compared to other grip options, combining that with the fact most cross arm are due to just how muscular you/individuals who use it are, it honestly seems to me like it is unfortunately one of those trade off situations. Might not be "completely" avoidable without spending time increasing mobility, etc that probably just aren't worth your time just for front squatting, if that makes sense being it isn't a major goal for most in that position.

I usually solve it a bit on longer sets by breathing out/hissing a bit on the way up for front squats/cleans before re-engaging/breathing for the following rep, but I don't know how helpful that is for more maximal attempts. It only happens to me sometimes on longer 300+lbs front squat sets or because I catch a clean wrong.

Sorry I can't offer a better answer. I'm not muscular enough to have this issue too often.

A lot of them change grips because optimal pressing/jerking overhead positioning doesn't always mean the same hand positioning for receiving a clean.
I still appreciate your feedback, thank you. Something I forgot about until just now is the barbell club has a Viking harness that I can try as well if the SSB doesn’t work out for me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/15/23

Circuit, 3 rounds:
Band Pullaparts Light 3x35
Push-ups 3x25
Standing Cable Low Rope Row 80 3x25

Band Snatch, Rotators

Swissbar Widegrip Bench
35,85,135x5
175,185,195,205,215,225,235,245x10
225 2x10

Swissbar JM Press
35,85,125x10
175 2x10

BB Strictpress
45,65,85,105x10
105 3x12

Waved from 8x8 to 10x10 on widegrip bench, and used the Swissbar in a reverse grip to take some pressure off my pec & shift some emphasis. I did enjoy getting the push-ups in prior. I did not do reverse hyper or lats because I deadlift tomorrow. Normally this day is early Friday, but I had to work until 3am Friday for a special work maintainence window.

Got up at 3:30 today and went with the wife to the gym she’s been doing her strongman Saturdays on before she goes to work. She worked up to a circus dumbbell single of 118lbs on a cylinder style db, then went to her globe-style db and did 2 singles with 130lbs and one with 135lbs!

That ties her lifetime PR at 10-12lbs lighter bodyweight, and is a 5lb best at this size.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great to see both you and the wife are making progress !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s some serious early morning volume with that 10x10 on Widegrip Bench. You had your lifting and cardio all rolled into one on that workout.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/16/23

Back Extensions
2x20

ss w/ Back-Supported Hanging Leg Raises
2x15

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

Dynamic Squat
45 2x5
135,225x3
315 5x3

Dynamic Deadlift, stiffbar
225x3
315x2
355 10x1

Snatchgrip Deadlift
+straps & belt
355,365,375x8

Lying Leg Curl
68,88x25
108 2x12

alt w/ Lat Pulldown
77,99,121x15
143 2x10

Did NOT want to get out of bed today, and everything was tight. Still, got some really great practice in, and my low back & hamstrings were absolutely smoked by the end. Some good stimulation for quads, lats, & abs too.

12 weeks out today.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Love that snatch grip, I've been throwing it in with rows for lat width but totally forgot about working them into deads since I haven't really had any emphasis on oly lately.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/18/23

Band Pullaparts, Flyes, Presses, Rotators

Circuit, 3 rounds x25 each:
Band Pressdown Monstermini
CS DB Row 30
Incline DB Bench 30

Bench
45x10
135,185,225x5
255x1
275x11+1 forced rep PR

Incline Bench
45,95,135,185,205,225,235,245x6

Basically a deload/light session instead of the usual heavy bench, to help prepare for the next push ahead. Very happy with 11 reps at 275!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
7/18/23

Band Pullaparts, Flyes, Presses, Rotators

Circuit, 3 rounds x25 each:
Band Pressdown Monstermini
CS DB Row 30
Incline DB Bench 30

Bench
45x10
135,185,225x5
255x1
275x11+1 forced rep PR

Incline Bench
45,95,135,185,205,225,235,245x6

Basically a deload/light session instead of the usual heavy bench, to help prepare for the next push ahead. Very happy with 11 reps at 275!
Man, deload light session and finish with 275 for 11 on Bench.💪

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man, deload light session and finish with 275 for 11 on Bench.
Lol well 275 is 68% of 405, so a light week in the context of where all this is going.

I can tell you 275 for AMRAP felt a lot less intense than 360 raw & 390 SS for singles last week!

I would be lying if I told you I didn’t say “Light Weight” during training today

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Dustin07 That is perfect !!!!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol well 275 is 68% of 405, so a light week in the context of where all this is going.

I can tell you 275 for AMRAP felt a lot less intense than 360 raw & 390 SS for singles last week!

I would be lying if I told you I didn’t say “Light Weight” during training today
Oh yeah, I agree totally with that….that comment was more for the rest of us.😎

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How far out are you again for the meet? Like 13 to 14ish?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/19/23
BW 252.2

Circuit, 3 rounds:
Beltsquat 90 3x20
Reverse Hyper 180 3x20
GHR Sit-ups BW 2x20

Giant Cambered Bar Squat
85x5
175,265x3
355,405x1
+belt
455,495,525,550x1 PR

SSB Frontsquat
65,155x5
245 3x8

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 2x15

GHR Sit-ups
+55x8

Put 100lbs on my PR for the giant cambered bar from last winter, and this was only my second time ever using it. Very pleasantly surprised - I just kept adding weight & it kept blasting right up. Excited to see where things go this prep!

IMG_8384.JPG

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is a great Picture! Impressive !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s a lot of plates.

We need to get a belt squat. Do you have a specific one at your gym and do you like it?
The plates felt extra cool to me because the bar is so heavy empty - I have to manage 625 on it if I want to do 6/side!

Yes it’s a Rogue Monster Rhino belt squat. I have used quite a few belt squats, and honestly it’s my favorite. Better than EliteFTS, Bells of Steel, Matt Wenning’s, Titan Fitness, Pit Shark. It has a place for band pegs, jcups for RDL/Zercher combos, clearance to set a box behind it for boxsquats, moderate footprint, and if you have their Monster rack it can be integrated.

I feel it’s worth every penny of the $2,300. I would honestly get one if we just had the space in the garage. A very versatile lower body machine, that can also be used for cable rows, shrugs, curls, and extensions as well.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sweet. Ya I've been looking a bit at them, not sure exactly what is the next addition, everything I am looking at next isn't cheap. Maybe a flywheel too..

Sorry just thinking out loud. 😅

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
7/19/23
BW 252.2

Circuit, 3 rounds:
Beltsquat 90 3x20
Reverse Hyper 180 3x20
GHR Sit-ups BW 2x20

Giant Cambered Bar Squat
85x5
175,265x3
355,405x1
+belt
455,495,525,550x1 PR

SSB Frontsquat
65,155x5
245 3x8

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 2x15

GHR Sit-ups
+55x8

Put 100lbs on my PR for the giant cambered bar from last winter, and this was only my second time ever using it. Very pleasantly surprised - I just kept adding weight & it kept blasting right up. Excited to see where things go this prep!

View attachment 234413
dude... that PR is awesome. great pic too. little jealous of the shoulder vascularity 😅💪 Looks like you're really carrying the weight well on your bulk here as well

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Monster !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/21/23

Circuit:
Band Pullaparts Monstermini 4x25
Push-ups 3x25
Standing Cable Low Widegrip Row 80 3x25

Swissbar Widegrip Bench
35,85,125x10
185,195,205,215,225,235,245,255x10

Swissbar JM Press
35,85,125x10
175x10,6
135x15

Had to bounce earlier than expected so I didn’t get the lat work I wanted in, but it was another brick in the monolith.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
7/21/23

Circuit:
Band Pullaparts Monstermini 4x25
Push-ups 3x25
Standing Cable Low Widegrip Row 80 3x25

Swissbar Widegrip Bench
35,85,125x10
185,195,205,215,225,235,245,255x10

Swissbar JM Press
35,85,125x10
175x10,6
135x15

Had to bounce earlier than expected so I didn’t get the lat work I wanted in, but it was another brick in the monolith.
Your meet coming up in 11.5 weeks is it power lifting or strong man?

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
7/19/23
BW 252.2

Circuit, 3 rounds:
Beltsquat 90 3x20
Reverse Hyper 180 3x20
GHR Sit-ups BW 2x20

Giant Cambered Bar Squat
85x5
175,265x3
355,405x1
+belt
455,495,525,550x1 PR

SSB Frontsquat
65,155x5
245 3x8

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 2x15

GHR Sit-ups
+55x8

View attachment 234413
That’s an impressive PR, and that’s a really cool shot of all the plates. You can still see those veins in your shoulders, of course I’m sure 550lbs made them pop really good.💪😎