MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And he did it with a camber bar... Oh wait, no it was just bending...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Amazing !!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And that’s a 65lb bench bar too, purpose built. Jimmy is pushing the limits of the bars, benches, shirts, and in general reality.
Yeah, that is insane. Shoot finding a bench for that kind of weight is probably a challenge!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/1/23
BW 254.8 yesterday

Circuit:
Band Pullaparts Monstermini 4x25
Band Pressdown Monstermini 4x25
CS DB Row 40 3x25
Incline DB Bench 40,40,45x25

Bench
45x10
135,225x3
255,285,315,345,370x1
+ double ply slingshot
385,400x1
-slanger
315x5
317x6,3,4

ss w/ Pull-ups
4x10

This was totally exhausting; by the time I got to the rep work I was pretty much spent (as evidenced by only managing 3-4 reps in final sets). Easiest set of the day was the single at 400, but that black slingshot I used today is double ply, a size smaller, and fresh compared to the worn out yellow I’ve been using, so it was a real cheat code.

370 raw was a grind, and I more or less feel like I’ve run out of road on this weekly linear method at the minute. I need probably ~15lbs on my bench in the next 6 weeks or so to be able to push it up to the 407 threshold reliably with orals. So I’m in a good spot, but I think I’ll either go to a heavy/light weekly bench rotation ala Lilliebridge method, or probably something more conjugate.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah that looks like it would take it out of you. Nice session!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
45x10
135,225x3
255,285,315,345,370x1
+ double ply slingshot
385,400x1
-slanger
315x5
317x6,3,4
how are your wrists/forearms doing at that weight? I can't recall which wrist wraps you wear. even at only 315+ I feel more than ever how important quality wrapping is for my wrists.

so it was a real cheat code.
up down up down left right left right a b select start 😅😅💪🤘

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
how are your wrists/forearms doing at that weight? I can't recall which wrist wraps you wear. even at only 315+ I feel more than ever how important quality wrapping is for my wrists.
Fine, they’re pretty well adapted. I don’t put on my wrist wraps until after 315 unless it’s a work set/AMRAP situation. Between past grip training, avoiding straps on most accessories, using axles periodically, and not putting on my wraps early, I’ve developed a decent grip & set of forearms.

This is what I use, 80cm EliteFTS Constrictors:

They’re closing out the black & blue - you can get a pair for $16 right now. I promise you will not regret them if you are looking for a serious wrap.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that is a good price. My gym reapers are starting to get worn out a bit, tempting to throw another pair in the gym bag.

on a side note, I like that video Dave did on that link. that's exactly how I prefer to run mine as well (pinching the thumb loop rather than poking thumb through)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fine, they’re pretty well adapted. I don’t put on my wrist wraps until after 315 unless it’s a work set/AMRAP situation. Between past grip training, avoiding straps on most accessories, using axles periodically, and not putting on my wraps early, I’ve developed a decent grip & set of forearms.

This is what I use, 80cm EliteFTS Constrictors:

They’re closing out the black & blue - you can get a pair for $16 right now. I promise you will not regret them if you are looking for a serious wrap.
I believe these were the ones I used if so they were definitely legit.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wrist wraps were a must for me when I did bench heavy!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Wrist wraps were a must for me when I did bench heavy!
Me too. I try to do all my warm ups without them but I tend to put mine on a lot earlier than Hyde. might be half mental though cause if I'm vacation gym benching hitting 250lbs with no preWO and no wraps is seemingly much easier lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Me too. I try to do all my warm ups without them but I tend to put mine on a lot earlier than Hyde. might be half mental though cause if I'm vacation gym benching hitting 250lbs with no preWO and no wraps is seemingly much easier lol
Whenever you put them on now, try to hold them back one or two more warmups from what you’ve been doing. Don’t risk your safety by any means, but just try to slowly accommodate your wrists over a long period.

They are a safety item first, to help prevent folding/drops, so definitely use them! But don’t be enslaved to them for something like 70% range work, unless going all out.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
They are a safety item first, to help prevent folding/drops, so definitely use them! But don’t be enslaved to them for something like 70% range work, unless going all out.
That's good advice. I could probably comfortably hold out until 225 for reps or 250 as a warm-up. They are like knee sleeves and lacing up my shoes in the locker room at this point. it's part of the ritual that gets my mind ready.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/2/23
BW 254.0

Cable Facepulls
50 4x25

Transformer Bar GM from Pins
45,135,185,225x5
+belt
275,315,365,405,455x5 PR

SSB Frontsquat, beltless
65,155,205,245x5
275 3x8

Reverse Hyper
270x15
360 3x12

ss w/ GHR Decline Sit-ups
2x15

Bit of an easier “squat” day late last night. Just got some work in for my low body without aggravating or pushing anything. I think I could have did one more set of Anderson goodmornings at 475 or 500, but it wouldn’t have been worth what it could have cost me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Learning from your choices all the time! Risk and Reward, weigh it out and don't just be dogmatic in following a plan.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Learning from your choices all the time! Risk and Reward, weigh it out and don't just be dogmatic in following a plan.
Yeah ultimately the entire reason I’m doing GM 5’s is a deload compared to a max single, so to go to the brink is a bit self-defeating.

Next week plan currently is a top single on SSB, then the following is a top triple on comp squat.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That workout Tuesday looked like a beast, no wonder you were wore out. The lesson of knowing when to push the limits, and when to pull back is so valuable in this game, whether strength training or for the physique. And being able to read the signals from your body is so important. As an older guy I can say it’s just as important as knowing how train and eat properly. I really love the way you and Kleen take the time in your logs to just give simple explanations on adjustments and what led to them. Young lifters could learn so much just from following your’s and his logs.👍

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah ultimately the entire reason I’m doing GM 5’s is a deload compared to a max single, so to go to the brink is a bit self-defeating.

Next week plan currently is a top single on SSB, then the following is a top triple on comp squat.
I will be anxious to see your numbers !

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/4/23

Circuit:
Push-ups 3x25
Standing Cable Low Widegrip Row 80 3x25

Widegrip Multigrip Camber Bench
45x10
+80 chain
45,135,185x3
155 8x3

Incline Bench
45,45,135,185,225,245x8
265x7 PR

HS CSR
90/side x15
135 2x12

Circuit was easier than last week, even adding a set of pullaparts, so conditioning is improving some. Introducing speed work again now that it’s about 9 weeks out. Excited to see incline feeling stronger than ever - you know that’s a great sign for bench!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh nice work on the PR if Incline is going up you know flat is. Awesome to hear your conditioning is improving at your current weight too. Not common for adding a lot of mass while improving conditioning. Well done Sir!

Watch you match your Comp Squat with your SSB, now that would be a serious sign of things to come!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh nice work on the PR if Incline is going up you know flat is. Awesome to hear your conditioning is improving at your current weight too. Not common for adding a lot of mass while improving conditioning. Well done Sir!

Watch you match your Comp Squat with your SSB, now that would be a serious sign of things to come!
Lol brother if I managed that I’ll fly you up for dinner to celebrate

I think my best single is in the 400s. I think I have done something for a set of 5 once that indicated a 480ish estimated 1RM? So if I even break 500 I’ll be stoked.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol brother if I managed that I’ll fly you up for dinner to celebrate

I think my best single is in the 400s. I think I have done something for a set of 5 once that indicated a 480ish estimated 1RM? So if I even break 500 I’ll be stoked.
Yeah for some reason my SSB was always a little closer to my Comp Stance than a lot of people, probably because I trained with the SSB most of the time during my prep and regular training due to my shoulder issues.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah for some reason my SSB was always a little closer to my Comp Stance than a lot of people, probably because I trained with the SSB most of the time during my prep and regular training due to my shoulder issues.
What was your best single on it that you recall? And best straight bar squat ever?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What was your best single on it that you recall? And best straight bar squat ever?
I don't think I have ever singled on the SSB but my highest triple was 465 if I remember correctly, and my highest ever straight bar was 501.5 or something at my meet. I also have to highbar squat or my shoulder would get gnarled up. We only used straight bar the last 3-4 weeks of prep to retrain my CNS for it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is awesome and super impressive!! So 13 days and new record holder!!
Hopefully! You never know how things will go down until the dust clears, and even if she breaks it that doesn’t necessarily mean someone else won’t too, or lift even more & set it higher. BUT I can say she’s primed to put on a show!

We’ll empty the db down to 84lbs and she will do some more technique work Wednesday, then probably do something 100-115 Saturday for last practice before she starts her watercut the following week.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/6/22

Facepulls
33 4x25

GHR
2x15

ss w/ Back-supported Hanging Leg Raise
2x15

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

Strictpress
45x20
95 4x15

Deadlift, stiffbar
135,225x3
315,405x1
+belt
450 6x4

RDL
+straps
315 2x12

TRX Fatman Rows
4x12

Feeling fat, sweaty & strong - when 405 beltless flew just like 315, I knew I was on. Sixth set of 450 felt just like the first, easy money. Low back & hams were PUMPED after RDLs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hopefully! You never know how things will go down until the dust clears, and even if she breaks it that doesn’t necessarily mean someone else won’t too, or lift even more & set it higher. BUT I can say she’s primed to put on a show!

We’ll empty the db down to 84lbs and she will do some more technique work Wednesday, then probably do something 100-115 Saturday for last practice before she starts her watercut the following week.
You must be so proud ! And the stories you son can tell some day about his Mom & Dad will be awesome !

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Feeling fat, sweaty & strong - when 405 beltless flew just like 315, I knew I was on. Sixth set of 450 felt just like the first, easy money. Low back & hams were PUMPED after RDLs.
What a great feeling to have, this close to the competition !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s awesome she is on pace to beat the record. I had told my wife about it, and she loves how you guys met at the gym and compete as a couple, but when I told her how high a level your wife was competing and she was about to break a world record, about once a week she will ask me has she broke the record. So tell your wife she has a new fan, oh and she’ll say how is that Strongwoman’s husband doing in his competitions, like an after thought. I have to explain you compete at a national level in powerlifting, so I showed her on YouTube the difference in Strongman and Powerlifting, now she is a fan of both of you. Just thought that was cool she checks. Oh and I do tell her you’re getting stronger every week and putting up some really impressive lifts. I’ll have to show her a picture of a 140 lbs circus dumbbell now.💪

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That’s awesome she is on pace to beat the record. I had told my wife about it, and she loves how you guys met at the gym and compete as a couple, but when I told her how high a level your wife was competing and she was about to break a world record, about once a week she will ask me has she broke the record. So tell your wife she has a new fan, oh and she’ll say how is that Strongwoman’s husband doing in his competitions, like an after thought. I have to explain you compete at a national level in powerlifting, so I showed her on YouTube the difference in Strongman and Powerlifting, now she is a fan of both of you. Just thought that was cool she checks. Oh and I do tell her you’re getting stronger every week and putting up some really impressive lifts. I’ll have to show her a picture of a 140 lbs circus dumbbell now.💪
It’s great that your wife is becoming a fan

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s awesome she is on pace to beat the record. I had told my wife about it, and she loves how you guys met at the gym and compete as a couple, but when I told her how high a level your wife was competing and she was about to break a world record, about once a week she will ask me has she broke the record. So tell your wife she has a new fan, oh and she’ll say how is that Strongwoman’s husband doing in his competitions, like an after thought. I have to explain you compete at a national level in powerlifting, so I showed her on YouTube the difference in Strongman and Powerlifting, now she is a fan of both of you. Just thought that was cool she checks. Oh and I do tell her you’re getting stronger every week and putting up some really impressive lifts. I’ll have to show her a picture of a 140 lbs circus dumbbell now.
That’s great! Very cool Yes my wife really is on track to have a genuine shot at it. There are supposed to be 4 ladies attempting it on the 19th.

It’s a BIG boy - the handle is a massive 2.5” diameter that makes it very difficult to clutch. It takes 2 hands just to pull it from the ground, and the clean to the shoulder is much more like flipping a stone end over end than pulling a barbell.

IMG_8440.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/8/23
BW 256.0 yesterday

Circuit:
Cable Pressdown 30x25, 40 3x25
HS CSR 45/side 4x25
Incline DB Bench 40,45,50,55x25

Bench
45 2x5
135,185,225x3
255x2
275x1
285x11 PR

Floorpress
45,135,225x10
245x8
255x6
265x8

Chin-ups
5x10

Incline DB Flyes
50,55x15

Today surprised me in a very positive way. More volume and weight on the circuit work, lifetime best on reps (did 10 more lbs this week for the same 11 reps as 3 weeks ago), hitting 5x10 chins at this bodyweight all things to be happy about.

Maxed out on sushi today, so looking forward to a strong squat hopefully tomorrow night and some continued growth on the bench muscles I trained today.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the Chin-ups 5x10 at 256 lbs BW
That is seriously no joke. Seeing a sub 10% 168lb dude knock out a bunch of pull-ups impresses people but they don't realize how doing it at 250 is like putting an extra 70lb weight on your belt. It might make you stronger for the big lifts, but pull-ups man... every lb of body weight you carry does add challenge it's real.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is seriously no joke. Seeing a sub 10% 168lb dude knock out a bunch of pull-ups impresses people but they don't realize how doing it at 250 is like putting an extra 70lb weight on your belt. It might make you stronger for the big lifts, but pull-ups man... every lb of body weight you carry does add challenge it's real.
Danny Grigsby mentioned on the EFS podcast that every single day his unit does 20 pull-ups as part of their daily warmup. He walks around over 260lbs.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
5x10 pull ups at 250+ lbs is seriously impressive. I was 130lbs in HS, 140lbs in college and could always do 50+ pull ups, it was my best/favorite exercise. I had to work harder to hit 50 pull ups in the 150’s-160’s. I focused a lot more on legs and lower body to hit 170’s and pull ups got way harder. When I hit 180lbs, I struggled to get 20 reps.

It’s a paradox, I’m the biggest and strongest I’ve ever been, but I’m not as good at doing my favorite exercise? The key take away for me is that if you’re doing it at 250+, I need to recondition myself to get back to 50+!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5x10 pull ups at 250+ lbs is seriously impressive. I was 130lbs in HS, 140lbs in college and could always do 50+ pull ups, it was my best/favorite exercise. I had to work harder to hit 50 pull ups in the 150’s-160’s. I focused a lot more on legs and lower body to hit 170’s and pull ups got way harder. When I hit 180lbs, I struggled to get 20 reps.

It’s a paradox, I’m the biggest and strongest I’ve ever been, but I’m not as good at doing my favorite exercise? The key take away for me is that if you’re doing it at 250+, I need to recondition myself to get back to 50+!
I saw a video with Martins Licis mentioning one of his personal standards for himself is he should always be able to manage multiple sets of 10 on pull-ups. If he can’t, he knows his upper back strength isn’t increasing proportionally with his overall bodyweight, so he will make it a point to bring them up to snuff. This is at over 300lbs.

To be a strong man, you need a very strong back, so this always made sense to me.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I saw a video with Martins Licis mentioning one of his personal standards for himself is he should always be able to manage multiple sets of 10 on pull-ups. If he can’t, he knows his upper back strength isn’t increasing proportionally with his overall bodyweight, so he will make it a point to bring them up to snuff. This is at over 300lbs.

To be a strong man, you need a very strong back, so this always made sense to me.
Yeah, that’s exactly how I’ve always believed. It’s such a good measure of relative strength. Back in my younger days I could do one arm pull ups at 205 lbs, but I was competing in arm wrestling and was in my early 30s in the 90s. I can still do pull-ups at 58, but I tried a one arm a couple of months ago, trying to show out for my grandsons, and felt like I was about to rip the old shoulder out of the socket. Getting old sucks.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pull Ups are a love hate for me. I love them, but have never been really good at them. I can get pretty strong on them but never really get into really high reps. I think the most I remember doing was 17 at around 205 when we had a pull up challenge on here years ago.

Congrats on the PR @Hyde!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think the most I remember doing was 17 at around 205 when we had a pull up challenge on here years ago.
ha too funny. back when dapack and I were over at the bodybuildingdungeon (now defunct forum) we did a challenge like that. I dont' recall the criteria but you just reminded me to go find my youtube video of doing pull-ups with a 45lb kb hanging off my belt. looking at that video today i'm like holyshit I was so skinny. abs were pretty dialed but I don't even recognize myself 😅😅😅

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/9/23
BW 256.8

Reverse Hyper & Beltsquat SS
180/90 2x25 each

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift

SSB
65x8
155x3
245,335x1
+belt
425,485,525,565x1 PR
590 MISS (misloaded 600)

SSB Frontsquat, beltless
65x5 rib sore, cut it

Reverse Hyper
360 5x15

GHR Decline Sit-ups
BWx15
+25 2x15

Lot to unpack here. 565 on the safety bar is a titanic PR; 120+lbs I believe. It was only a brief struggle to hold position, so fast on the video you can’t even see the grind.

600 on that bar would basically be one of the greatest lifts of my life, and I truly thought it was there. It felt great walking out with it & on the descent, but as soon as I moved into the sticking point about 40% of the way up it totally dominated me. There wasn’t even a moment for a battle of willpower to take place - it came back down in a flash. I was a bit sore in my right rib after.

As I unloaded the bar the reason for the abrupt miss became clear - in my excitement I only verified the right side of the bar, but I had failed to load a 10 on the left. So when I hit the hardest part of a maximal lift, the load was unbalanced & pulled me down from the right (smushing my bottom rib into my powerbelt). This is pretty disappointing, but it creates bit of mystery at least on what my true potential is right now. Which is much better than if I had, say, loaded 585 properly & simply missed it on obvious lack of strength. I’m also very glad I was able to move past my fear of the number 600 & fully commit to the lift. My mind feels stronger than ever.

Rib was aching just warming up on fronts, so I bagged them, did an extra set of reverse hypers & abs, and called it a night.

IMG_8444.JPG

^565lbs on the SSB