Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I see tons of posts about diets, but I dont really see fruit ever included.

Is it pointless or something? I try to eat bananas at least. Id think the potassium would be good.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
YES!!!!

The only thing I really avoid like the plague is refined sugar and starchy foods (white potatoes, corn, etc)

Otherwise everything is game in moderation and as long as it fits within your macros and calorie intake. I think the key rule is to not have a high amount of carbs in your 2 latest meals. Carbs affect GH output plus you dont want that bloat right before bed

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
hell ya i eat fruit.

almost any kind i can get me hands on. pretty much anything that comes from the earth is ok in moderation, like someone already mentioned.

the only time i would avoid it is on low or no carb days, if you have any of those. try eating it before hitting the gym to bring up your glucose levels.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
I eat a lot of fruit. Really like banana's, apples, grapes after workout. I also do not eat carbs except from veggies my last one or two meals. Most of the time only green veggies after 6 pm.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
in the last week i have ate apples bananas grapes watermelon blueberries and raspbarries
i love fruit it's the only tasty thing i eat

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see tons of posts about diets, but I dont really see fruit ever included.

Is it pointless or something? I try to eat bananas at least. Id think the potassium would be good.
Yes, I eat fruit. No, eating fruit is not pointless. Many people have misconceptions about fruit and when and how it should be used and therefore won't eat it, but there's nothing wrong with fruit (or carbohydrates) consumption, whether cutting or bulking.

~Team APPNUT

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Earth's candy!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been tearing up some watermelon over the past few days. I've been dipping it in yogurt!

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
i eat fruit everyday. i use lots of fruit in my smoothies in the morning. lots of fruit have more to offer than just the carbs most think of. berries are high in antioxidants, pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory, mangos have probiotics, and fruit are a good source of fiber.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Bananas after workouts along with some oats and protein powder - that's it. Fruits are fine if you want to eat, but they really aren't essential.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i eat fruit everyday. i use lots of fruit in my smoothies in the morning. lots of fruit have more to offer than just the carbs most think of. berries are high in antioxidants, pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory, mangos have probiotics, and fruit are a good source of fiber.
Good post! Most of my fiber and carbs has come from fruit lately. Except for the pizza I just had ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raisins
Bananas
Pineapple
Apples

I usually have at least 3 of these at the house at all times.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raisins
Bananas
Pineapple
Apples

I usually have at least 3 of these at the house at all times.
I bought a pineapple at sams the other day... I wanna go cut into that right about now MMMMM

I gots tha strawberries, raspberries bananas and nectarines

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
yes we eat fruit. why wouldnt you eat fruit is the real question. Like someone said fruits are high in antioxidants and fiber-help clean out all that waist that builds up in your stomach. Bananas even help raise test levels. At least thats what ive read up on but someone can correct me if im wrong. Im sure other fruits do too. Eat your fruit mof*cka! It's good Lol.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Yes of course I eat fruit. A lot of my fruit consumption is during meal one in the A.M. to cause an insulin spike and reduce hunger throughout the day. Also I sometimes, especially lately since im broke as a joke, eat fruit post workout to help fill my carb quota.

Being broke as s*** I tend to eat lots of banana because the potassium in banana helps to counterbalance all of the sodium I consuming in my poor mans canned foods. Although I would eat canned tuna regardless of wealth.....

Like some other people said, the anti-oxidant properties of fruit is very beneficial to our heavy (or deficit) calorie diet requirements as bodybuilders/weight lifters...

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Yes, every morning. Raspberries, strawberries, peaches, pears and nectarines oh my!

Sweekaters

Awards
Fruits are extremely overrated. They are basically simple carbs and minimal vitamins that are sold at a massive markup compared to the production cost. Recent studies have also come out that show the antioxidant benefits fruits are purported to have are virtually nonexistent. I personally never eat fruit, and I have never had a single problem health-wise.

anoopbal

Awards
Fruits are extremely overrated. They are basically simple carbs and minimal vitamins that are sold at a massive markup compared to the production cost. Recent studies have also come out that show the antioxidant benefits fruits are purported to have are virtually nonexistent. I personally never eat fruit, and I have never had a single problem health-wise.
Can you post the study?

I don't think any nutritionist will ever say what you just wrote.

Sweekaters

Awards
Can you post the study?

I don't think any nutritionist will ever say what you just wrote.
Sure.
htt p://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/djq072
This was a massive study conducted on 400,000 separate people, those who consumed the most fruits and vegetable were found to have a slightly (3%) lower risk factor than those who consumed next to none. The benefit is there, but it has largely been overblown, the benefit is barely statistically significant.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
I only eat steroids & cocaine, oh and of course noobs with my ak 47 and i turned out just fine

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Everyday. Lots of it. In shakes, with breakfast and lunch and pineapple with every meal if I can. Bromelain helps with digestion. The only thing I try to stay away from is raisens and dried fruit in general. Too much concentrated sugar and not very filling so for my purpose it`s pointless calories and sugar.

anoopbal

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I knew that you were gonna quote that one. Here is the quote from the same author of the study:

"In my view, there is a good body of evidence that fruit and vegetables do matter for cancer -- it certainly matters for heart disease," Thun said. "It's not as strong as initial studies suggested."

Decades of research have shown that eating processed red meat increases risk of cancers in the digestive tract and that obesity is associated with colorectal and breast cancer. But "the story on vegetables and fruits has been harder to nail down," Thun said.

Dr. Christine Gerbstadt, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, warned against slacking off on daily fruit and vegetable intake because of this study.

She pointed out eating fruits and vegetables has benefits beyond the cancer realm.

"It does help with lowering weight and blood pressure, lowering diabetes risk or lowering blood sugar. Those are all health benefits that increase lifespan significantly."

They also provide soluble and insoluble fiber, minerals, high nutrients and low calories, she added.

Sweekaters

Awards
"It does help with lowering weight and blood pressure, lowering diabetes risk or lowering blood sugar. Those are all health benefits that increase lifespan significantly."
[/B]
The fiber, mineral, and vitamin contributions of fruit are minimal at best. There are so many other foods that you can get all of these things from in much greater quantities. Fruit would be great for the average person because it would likely keep them full and replace the garbage they would have otherwise eaten, but if you can nail down your nutrition, I see no reason to eat it. I've never found a study suggesting that fruit was DIRECTLY correlated to improved health, in the sense that the nutritious qualities of it couldn't be replaced by any other food.

anoopbal

Awards
I don't know where you are looking at. But there are number of studies and metanalysis which shows the benefits of fruits & vegetables in diseases.

And it is not just fiber and vitamins, there are number compounds which are yet to be discovered in fruits and vegetables which is very now established and which can prevent diseases. The thousand of phytochemicals discovered recently is a good example. And who knows we might discover a few hundreds more in the next 10 years.

Here is a few studies that I just saw.All recent studies and there are a lot more.

Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies.
He FJ, Nowson CA, MacGregor GA.
Lancet. 2006 Jan 28;367(9507):320-6.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Increased consumption of fruit and vegetables has been shown to be associated with a reduced risk of stroke in most epidemiological studies, although the extent of the association is uncertain. We quantitatively assessed the relation between fruit and vegetable intake and incidence of stroke in a meta-analysis of cohort studies. METHODS: We searched MEDLINE, EMBASE, the Cochrane Library, and bibliographies of retrieved articles. Studies were included if they reported relative risks and corresponding 95% CIs of stroke with respect to frequency of fruit and vegetable intake. FINDINGS: Eight studies, consisting of nine independent cohorts, met the inclusion criteria. These groups included 257,551 individuals (4917 stroke events) with an average follow-up of 13 years. Compared with individuals who had less than three servings of fruit and vegetables per day, the pooled relative risk of stroke was 0.89 (95% CI 0.83-0.97) for those with three to five servings per day, and 0.74 (0.69-0.79) for those with more than five servings per day. Subgroup analyses showed that fruit and vegetables had a significant protective effect on both ischaemic and haemorrhagic stroke. INTERPRETATION: Increased fruit and vegetable intake in the range commonly consumed is associated with a reduced risk of stroke. Our results provide strong support for the recommendations to consume more than five servings of fruit and vegetables per day, which is likely to cause a major reduction in strokes.

Intakes of fruits, vegetables, vitamins A, C, and E, and carotenoids and risk of renal cell cancer.
Lee JE, Giovannucci E, Smith-Warner SA, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Curhan GC.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Dec;15(12):2445-52.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants have been proposed to reduce the risk of renal cell cancer. However, few prospective studies have examined the intakes of fruits, vegetables, and antioxidant vitamins in relation to the risk of renal cell cancer. METHODS: We prospectively examined the associations between the intakes of fruits, vegetables, vitamins A, C, and E, and carotenoids and risk of renal cell cancer in women and men. We followed 88,759 women in the Nurses' Health Study from 1980 to 2000, and 47,828 men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study from 1986 to 2000. We assessed dietary intake every 2 to 4 years using a validated semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. The Cox proportional hazards model was used to estimate study-specific multivariate relative risks (RR), which were pooled using a random effects model. RESULTS: A total of 248 (132 women and 116 men) incident renal cell cancer cases were ascertained during 2,316,525 person-years of follow-up. The consumption of fruits and vegetables was associated with a decreased risk of renal cell cancer in men (multivariate RR, 0.45; 95% CI, 0.25-0.81, for >or=6 servings of fruit and vegetable intake/d versus <3 servings/d; P test for trend = 0.02), but not in women (multivariate RR, 1.17; 95% CI, 0.66-2.07, for the same contrast; P test for trend = 0.25; P test for between-studies heterogeneity = 0.02). Intakes of vitamins A and C from food and carotenoids were inversely associated with the risk of renal cell cancer in men only, but we cannot exclude the possibility that this was due to other factors in fruit and vegetables. No clear association was observed for vitamin E in women or men. CONCLUSIONS: Fruit and vegetable consumption may reduce the risk of renal cell cancer in men.

Plasma vitamin C level, fruit and vegetable consumption, and the risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus: the European prospective investigation of cancer--Norfolk prospective study.
Arch Intern Med. 2008 Jul 28;168(14):1493-9.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Epidemiologic studies suggest that greater consumption of fruit and vegetables may decrease the risk of diabetes mellitus, but the evidence is limited and inconclusive. Plasma vitamin C level is a good biomarker of fruit and vegetable intake, but, to our knowledge, no prospective studies have examined its association with diabetes risk. This study aims to examine whether fruit and vegetable intake and plasma vitamin C level are associated with the risk of incident type 2 diabetes. METHODS: We administered a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire to men and women from a population-based prospective cohort (European Prospective Investigation of Cancer-Norfolk) study who were aged 40 to 75 years at baseline (1993-1997) when plasma vitamin C level was determined and habitual intake of fruit and vegetables was assessed. During 12 years of follow-up between February 1993 and the end of December 2005, 735 clinically incident cases of diabetes were identified among 21 831 healthy individuals. We report the odds ratios of diabetes associated with sex-specific quintiles of fruit and vegetable intake and of plasma vitamin C levels. RESULTS: A strong inverse association was found between plasma vitamin C level and diabetes risk. The odds ratio of diabetes in the top quintile of plasma vitamin C was 0.38 (95% confidence interval, 0.28-0.52) in a model adjusted for demographic, lifestyle, and anthropometric variables. In a similarly adjusted model, the odds ratio of diabetes in the top quintile of fruit and vegetable consumption was 0.78 (95% confidence interval, 0.60-1.00). CONCLUSIONS: Higher plasma vitamin C level and, to a lesser degree, fruit and vegetable intake were associated with a substantially decreased risk of diabetes. Our findings highlight a potentially important public health message on the benefits of a diet rich in fruit and vegetables for the prevention of diabetes.

Sweekaters

Awards
Good info. I guess it takes a strong man to admit he's beaten, because that's some pretty damn convincing information. The thought that I might have to replace one of my steaks with an apple makes me shed a manly tear though =,(
How do you think things like biotest superfood stack up against real fruits and veggies?

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I RARELY eat fruits. I hate most fruits to be honest. And the ones I like are the more expensive ones lol so I do stay away from them... for now.

That being said, I've always said that when I reach 30 years old.. My diet will have a complete turn around with tons of health foods, fruits, veggies, fish, nuts and stuff like that.

Right now I'm young and can afford to keep my diet at steaks, burgers, fries, rice, bread, milk, and protein shakes lol.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Who gives a f*ck!? I mean really....dude simply asked if we eat fruit. Yes, and it is good and good for you....whether it slightly beneficial or greatly beneficial....who freakin knows and cares. Gah! Everybody has to turn everything in to some biga$$ debate quoting this and that and in the end, it doesn't freaking matter. I could find a study that said that meat was over rated..........

Sorry, Im a little pissed off today!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Fruits help me mix up my diet and eat more while im bulking. I don't hide from simple sugars or anything though.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Who gives a f*ck!? I mean really....dude simply asked if we eat fruit. Yes, and it is good and good for you....whether it slightly beneficial or greatly beneficial....who freakin knows and cares. Gah! Everybody has to turn everything in to some biga$$ debate quoting this and that and in the end, it doesn't freaking matter. I could find a study that said that meat was over rated..........

Sorry, Im a little pissed off today!
Dude.. you need to eat some fruit. It looks like low blood sugar has got you irritated.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
LOL........that is funny because I see an endo every 3 months for my hypoglycemia.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
i eat alot of fruit not really too close to bedtime cause it naturally turns to sugar but after a mid day meal i will throw in two different fruit in yogurt.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I take in around 6 servings of home grown fruit everyday....i have my own fruit garden, apples, pears, grapes, berries, strawberries, nannnnnnas, peaches, etc.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I take in around 6 servings of home grown fruit everyday....i have my own fruit garden, apples, pears, grapes, berries, strawberries, nannnnnnas, peaches, etc.
Damn... I got a big ass backyard. After we lay down a stained concrete patio i might look into some sort of garden. home grown fruit ftw

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
I grow my own tomatoes with the "Topsy-Turvy" thing they advertise on T.V. They are small, portable, and require little to no maintenance and they make some lush and delicious tomatoes. I have one growing your average tomato and another growing cherry tomatoes for salads and such. If you follow the instructions you get some nice tomatoes really quick.

And a tomato is a fruit!

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I grow my own tomatoes with the "Topsy-Turvy" thing they advertise on T.V. They are small, portable, and require little to no maintenance and they make some lush and delicious tomatoes. I have one growing your average tomato and another growing cherry tomatoes for salads and such. If you follow the instructions you get some nice tomatoes really quick.

And a tomato is a fruit!
I considered grabbing one of these. Can you row inside? If so did it attract any bugs or anything?

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
I considered grabbing one of these. Can you row inside? If so did it attract any bugs or anything?
I don't think it would be possible to "row" inside. But honestly I haven't tried it and can't verify my statement through any experience.

I live in rural Pennsyltucky, next to corn fields and lots of manure and I haven't had any problems with bugs. So no food friendly pesticides needed (if their really is such a thing:bigok:).

It's really worth the bang for your buck if you eat tomatoes; I eat them on burger and salads daily so I figured why not?

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think it would be possible to "row" inside. But honestly I haven't tried it and can't verify my statement through any experience.

I live in rural Pennsyltucky, next to corn fields and lots of manure and I haven't had any problems with bugs. So no food friendly pesticides needed (if their really is such a thing:bigok:).

It's really worth the bang for your buck if you eat tomatoes; I eat them on burger and salads daily so I figured why not?
Hahah, you know what I meant. :hitwithrock:

On a serious note, thanks for the information.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
No problem man...

I live in Lancaster County its all about the farming here. I'm surrounded by fields on all sides. We actually had to learn about farming techniques in my high school science class.....Kidding aside its a beautiful area....

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No problem man...

I live in Lancaster County its all about the farming here. I'm surrounded by fields on all sides. We actually had to learn about farming techniques in my high school science class.....Kidding aside its a beautiful area....
Sounds nice. I am a city guy (chicago) but I wish I was able to grow more food, its the only real downside. Me and my gf are really into cooking, so I would love to be able to source my own, organic veggies/fruit/herbs.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Sounds nice. I am a city guy (chicago) but I wish I was able to grow more food, its the only real downside. Me and my gf are really into cooking, so I would love to be able to source my own, organic veggies/fruit/herbs.
It really is a beautiful area. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, moved here as kid and never really left. I did the whole college thing in Boston and Philadelphia but made my way back to Lancaster.

There's a massive ton of people who grow their own food around here, not just farmers. We have 2 organic food shops in a town with a population of less then 5,000 people, which is insane. My neighbor raises cattle, owns some farmland, but doesn't really farm "human food" in any large quantity; anyway she is always being neighborly and dropping off home grown zucchini, strawberries, blueberries, lettuce, and "shoe fly" pies, etc.. It's pretty awesome, mainly because I'm always freaking eating.....

Wish I could grow more then tomatoes (have the land for it), but I don't have time with all the traveling i do for work.....I wind up eating out way too much...and having my gf take care of my tomatoes way to frequently lol.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Damn... I got a big ass backyard. After we lay down a stained concrete patio i might look into some sort of garden. home grown fruit ftw
It does come with a price. I deal with rattle snakes and bees. I get stung at least 1-5 times a year. Luckily I haven't been bitten yet.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
I eat 2 bananas grapes and an orange everyday. Great energy boost with a meal!