Coop's Corner #5: Verbascoside/Lemon Verbena Extract

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Coop’s Corner #5: Verbascoside

Let’s keep this as layman’s as possible so everyone can understand how awesome this compound is.

Verbascoside is the chief component of lemon verbena extract found in Amino IV.

Antioxidants have been shown to be excellent for muscle recovery following exercise. Unfortunately, it’s a double-edged sword: many antioxidants reduce the adaptations to weight training, resulting in poorer performance in the long-run. Examples: resveratrol, vitamin C, NAC, the list goes on. They inhibit a process called “hormesis,” which is quite complex and poorly understood. Google it for further information.

Enter Lemon Verbena, a true all-in-one antioxidant that enhances, not diminishes, the adaptations to physical exercise.

Weight training takes a toll on more than just your muscles. If you look at serum following a weight training bout, you can expect things like high creatinine levels (reflected in bloodwork all too often), elevated inflammatory markers, and transient immunosuppression. Translation: Your blood cells get hit along with your muscles. Thankfully, in healthy humans, lemon verbena is proven to reduce both muscle damage and white-blood-cell damage without blocking the adaptations to exercise [1].

Lemon verbena does this by a complex mechanism (activation of GSH-reductase for those of you who are scientifically-inclined), but what’s important to note is that this antioxidant, cell-protective effect is so profound that it has been noted in repeated trials [2][3][4][5][6], many of which are conducted in actual human athletes. And not only will verbascoside protect your muscles and your immune system, but it preserves your joints as well [7], as demonstrated by a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled human trial: the gold standard in the scientific community.

Lemon verbena may even protect against overtraining, allowing you to push yourself to new limits in the gym
. For instance, anemia is a major side effect of overtraining syndrome, but lemon verbena supplementation has been found to protect red blood cells and even reverse exercise-induced anemia [5][8][9].

But it doesn’t stop there: lemon verbena and its active constituent verbascoside may enhance exercise performance. This is accomplished via four mechanisms:

1. Acetylcholinesterase inhibition [10] – Same mechanism as Alpha-GPC and other cholinergics, which enhance power output in healthy athletes.
2. Blocking the muscular pain signal that makes you quit your set early [11][12] – Same mechanism as rhodiola rosea, again proven in healthy athletes.
3. Directly blocking muscular fatigue by eliminating free radicals [13] – Same mechanism as NAC, again proven in healthy athletes. Unlike NAC, it does not block adaptations to exercise as discussed previously.
4. Improving the efficiency with which your heart pumps [14][15] – This is accomplished via an increase in something known as “prostacyclin,” which as an added bonus, is an effective vasodilator to give you top-notch pumps and nutrient delivery to your exercising muscles. This mechanism is similar to inotropes (ephedrine) in the heart and arachidonic acid (X-gels/X-factor) in the vasculature. This is the primary reason I expected X-gels-esque pumps with Amino IV, and many people are already reporting the unusual pumps for an intraworkout product. The elevation in prostacyclin was huge as per studies: nearly 150%.

Not only are your muscles and heart more resistant to fatigue, but your mind is too. This will allow you to train harder and longer without the concern of overtraining, because verbascoside has you covered on the recovery end as well.

Hopefully that was layman’s enough for everyone here to understand. Even though I tried to simplify the previous Coop’s corners, there were still a lot of lingering questions. Let me know how I did this time!

References

1. Funes, Lorena, Lucrecia Carrera-Quintanar, Manuela Cerdán-Calero, Miguel D. Ferrer, Franchek Drobnic, Antoni Pons, Enrique Roche, and Vicente Micol. "Effect of Lemon Verbena Supplementation on Muscular Damage Markers, Proinflammatory Cytokines Release and Neutrophils’ Oxidative Stress in Chronic Exercise." European Journal of Applied Physiology 111.4 (2011): 695-705. Print.
2. Funes, L., S. Fernández-Arroyo, O. Laporta, A. Pons, E. Roche, A. Segura-Carretero, A. Fernández-Gutiérrez, and V. Micol. "Correlation between Plasma Antioxidant Capacity and Verbascoside Levels in Rats after Oral Administration of Lemon Verbena Extract." Food Chemistry 117.4 (2009): 589-98. Web.
3. Li, Jingxian, et al. "Effect of Verbascoside on Reducing the Concentration of Oxygen Free Radicals of Skeletal Muscle during and after Exercise." Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society 5 (1998): n. pag. Web.
4. Carrera-Quintanar, L., L. Funes, E. Viudes, J. Tur, V. Micol, E. Roche, and A. Pons. "Antioxidant Effect of Lemon Verbena Extracts in Lymphocytes of University Students Performing Aerobic Training Program." Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports (2010): No. Web.
5. Liu, Ming-Ju, Jing-Xian Li, Hong-Zhu Guo, Kwong-Man Lee, Ling Qin, and Kai-Ming Chan. "The Effects of Verbascoside on Plasma Lipid Peroxidation Level and Erythrocyte Membrane Fluidity during Immobilization in Rabbits: A Time Course Study." Life Sciences 73.7 (2003): 883-92. Web.
6. Mestre-Alfaro, Antonia, Miguel D. Ferrer, Antoni Sureda, Pedro Tauler, Elisa Martínez, Maria M. Bibiloni, Vicente Micol, Josep A. Tur, and Antoni Pons. "Phytoestrogens Enhance Antioxidant Enzymes after Swimming Exercise and Modulate Sex Hormone Plasma Levels in Female Swimmers." European Journal of Applied Physiology111.9 (2011): 2281-294. Web.
7. Caturla, Nuria, Lorena Funes, Laura Pérez-Fons, and Vicente Micol. "A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Effect of a Combination of Lemon Verbena Extract and Fish Oil Omega-3 Fatty Acid on Joint Management." The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 17.11 (2011): 1051-063. Web.
8. Zhu, M., N. Tan, H. Zhu, G. Zeng, W. He, B. Yu, and X. Chen. "Anti-Sports Anaemia Effects of Verbascoside and Martynoside in Mice." International Journal of Sports Medicine 31.08 (2010): 537-41. Web.
9. Quirantes-Piné, R., et al. "Phenylpropanoids and Their Metabolites Are the Major Compounds Responsible for Blood-cell Protection against Oxidative Stress after Administration of Lippia Citriodora in Rats." Phytomedicine 20.12 (2013): 1112-118. Web.
10. Kahraman, C., I. I. Tatli, I. E. Orhan, and Z. S. Akdemir. "Cholinesterase Inhibitory and Antioxidant Properties of Verbascum Mucronatum Lam. and Its Secondary Metabolites." Z Naturforsch C 65.11-12 (2010): 667-74. Web.
11. Isacchi, Benedetta, Romina Iacopi, Maria Camilla Bergonzi, Carla Ghelardini, Nicoletta Galeotti, Monica Norcini, Elisa Vivoli, Franco Francesco Vincieri, and Anna Rita Bilia. "Antihyperalgesic Activity of Verbascoside in Two Models of Neuropathic Pain." Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology (2011): No. Web.
12. Genovese, Tiziana, Irene Paterniti, Emanuela Mazzon, Emanuela Esposito, Rosanna Paola, Maria Galuppo, Placido Bramanti, and Salvatore Cuzzocrea. "Efficacy of Treatment with Verbascoside, Biotechnologically Produced by Syringa Vulgaris Plant Cell Cultures in an Experimental Mice Model of Spinal Cord Trauma." Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology 382.4 (2010): 331-45. Web.
13. Liao, F., R. L. Zheng, J. J. Gao, and Z. J. Jia. "Retardation of Skeletal Muscle Fatigue by the Two Phenylpropanoid Glycosides: Verbascoside and Martynoside from Pedicularis Plicata Maxim." Phytotherapy Research 13.7 (1999): 621-23. Web.
14. Pennacchio, Marcello, Elizabeth Alexander, Yana M. Syah, and Emilio L. Ghisalberti. "The Effect of Verbascoside on Cyclic 3′,5′-adenosine Monophosphate Levels in Isolated Rat Heart." European Journal of Pharmacology 305.1-3 (1996): 169-71. Web.
15. Pennacchio, M., Y. M. Syah, E. Alexander, and E. L. Ghisalberti. "Mechanism of Action of Verbascoside on the Isolated Rat Heart: Increases in Level of Prostacyclin."Phytotherapy Research 13.3 (1999): 254-55. Web.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Makes sense why pumps are off the charts when i use this intra-workout.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
So GLAD to see you back bro. Cool write up. Finishing up my wraath then onto iv.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps plans for this as a Stand alone supp through AS?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Awesome write up coop.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another great Coop's Corner and write up.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Makes sense why pumps are off the charts when i use this intra-workout.
Yeah it's definitely an interesting effect. What's really cool is how much human data there is on the ingredient, and yet, this is the first time it has ever seen use in a supplement.

So GLAD to see you back bro. Cool write up. Finishing up my wraath then onto iv.
Thanks bro, always great to see you too!

Perhaps plans for this as a Stand alone supp through AS?
Not a bad idea by any means

Awesome write up coop.
Another great Coop's Corner and write up.
Thanks guys

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice strong write up Coop! To be honest I wasn't going to try an amino product after recoverpro but this write-up convinced me otherwise. I'm going to have to put an order in tomo :)

Philosophy

Philosophy

Awards
  • Established
Thank the lord Coop's back, thanks for everything bud. Now, back to hiding.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Woot..welcome back

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice write-up sir.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dammit, now we are on a countdown until another company uses it lol.

xlb57

xlb57

Awards
Did not even read (yet).

In for a "Welcome back sir". Good to have a source for solid advice and information around here once again.

amarula

Awards
Another awesome post. Thank you for the time you take to post regularly

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
when will we see this tobascoside in our day to day products coop?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Another great read in Coop's corner, interesting to get the details as to how the new AminoIV is so unique and effective after having used it a while. It already proved itself effective to me and now I know the basic science if why.

A big welcome back to Coop!

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Great write up, dude and it's good to have you back.

Any plans for unflavored version of AminoIV? I'd love to mix it in with my current-intraworkout.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I honestly thought I was crazy with how my pumps have been lately. Nice to see a full write up on this, as I knew there would be some interesting stuff. :)

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great write up, dude and it's good to have you back. Any plans for unflavored version of AminoIV? I'd love to mix it in with my current-intraworkout.
How dare you recommend an unflavored AminoIV when it tastes so damn good :)

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Patent it if its not already
Exactly, pull a Kramer and profit :)

1. Welcome back Coop...we've missed you.
2. Great write up, as usual
3. Kicking myself for not being able to pick some of this up on the insider :(

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It really is an antioxidant that should be taken everyday for anyone working out or playing sports. It's not your grandma's antioxidant...its the athletes antioxidant

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Patent it if its not already
There's already a number of patents for verbascocide on its own, as well as in combination with a whole bunch of things. Trying to navigate the existing claims and achieve an enforceable patent would be very expensive, and of questionable licensing benefit.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just about out if my usual intra...will have to give this a try.

Solid write up and welcome back carter :coughs: cooper :D

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards

Nutra's intro pricing on it is pretty solid for anyone who missed the insider.
Remember to sign up and get in on the protein insider when it drops!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I noticed this not long ago:

"Wipo Publishes Patent of Lombardatrading for "Dietary Supplement Comprising Verbascoside and Teupolioside for Lowering Ldl and Increasing Hdl"

Seems there may be applications aimed at improving cholesterol profile/ratios.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome info for a great (and tasty) product

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. Amino IV is fantastic. And I to have noticed an increase in muscle pump.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
Yup, I know what you mean. I really wanted too, but I had just placed an order for some BCAAs.

smoker145

Summed up nicely

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
This guy is a genius that's why I got 4 tubs of it !

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nutra's intro pricing on it is pretty solid for anyone who missed the insider.
Remember to sign up and get in on the protein insider when it drops!

Is that different/separate from the regular PES Insider?. So how do I sign up for this separate Insider?. To be honest, I thought that when I signed up for the regular PES Insider that that was that.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"Antioxidants have been shown to be excellent for muscle recovery following exercise."

^ when administered after exercise or before?

I understand the amino iv is to be taken pre workout, does that mean the pre workout dose covers you for post workout? Or does the verbena need to be dosed post workout as well?

How would one utilize this as a stand alone product, as natty has alluded to will be a reality

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
thats good, i was concerned about that when i saw it, coop what about taurine? intra workout or pre or post since it has anti oxident properties

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats good, i was concerned about that when i saw it, coop what about taurine? intra workout or pre or post since it has anti oxident properties
Pre or intra.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yea but dose it inhibit the response to training? (hypertrophy) as its an antioxitant
Lol read post #1 in this thread. Might help u answer your questions.

Edit: here, from coops original post:

"Enter Lemon Verbena, a true all-in-one antioxidant that enhances, not diminishes, the adaptations to physical exercise."

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Lol read post #1 in this thread. Might help u answer your questions.

Edit: here, from coops original post:

"Enter Lemon Verbena, a true all-in-one antioxidant that enhances, not diminishes, the adaptations to physical exercise."
im talking about Taurine.. not lemon verbena

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
yea but dose it inhibit the response to training? (hypertrophy) as its an antioxitant
Taurine is not an antioxidant in the traditional sense. It will have no effect on training adaptations

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
im talking about Taurine.. not lemon verbena
Taurine is not an antioxidant in the traditional sense. It will have no effect on training adaptations
Well coopers answer is the reason i didn't realize u were talking about taurine, since you were referring to it as an antioxidant (which also judging by coops response, it can be in a "non-traditional" sense?).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards