• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. Let that back heal.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Yea I gotta rest it and quit trying to push, I have to make myself think long term

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hammerstrength rows are every bit as effective. I'm not saying don't do bb or db normally, but if you're having issues I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about subbing in the HS. Dorian had one of the greatest backs ever seen built off HS; they're a terrific break on the core while you heal.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-10-14
Lower
Single leg split squats- 50 lb dbs- 4 sets I didn't count reps I just went until I felt I was a rep or 2 from failure
Horizontal leg press machine- 12,12,6,3,12
Worked up to the full stack for 3 reps then did a drop set
Lying ham curl- 10,10,8,6,8
Somersault squats- 15,12,10,10,15
Only got up to a 25 per side... These felt incredible
All in all not bad even though I'm avoiding squats and stress on my lower back I was able to get some solid work in, my legs are feeling it already and my back feels perfectly fine so, mission accomplished

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Hammerstrength rows are every bit as effective. I'm not saying don't do bb or db normally, but if you're having issues I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about subbing in the HS. Dorian had one of the greatest backs ever seen built off HS; they're a terrific break on the core while you heal.
we have a machine row but we don't have any hammerstrength stuff, I guess I could use the machine we have though, I'll give it a shot next week

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey if you can do it pain-free, use it - gotta train the best you can, however you can, and training hard doesn't have to mean that you aren't training smart.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-13-14
Chest power/ back width
Bench press- 250,2,2,2,2 225x3
Kroc rows- 60's x35 per side
Rear pull ups- 8,8,6,6,2
Wide grip pulldowns- 12,12,15
Time was short this morning and I was running on less than 3 hours sleep, solid work with all things considered though, I have re found my maintenance cals ice held steady at 185 since my initial drop in weight so I think I can slightly lower cals again

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice presses and those rear pullups are hard, Rocky!

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
They're ridiculous, the only thing that makes my last sore anymore are those rear pull ups

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They're ridiculous, the only thing that makes my last sore anymore are those rear pull ups
I love ChinUps and PullUps but those rear pull-ups kill me! Respect to you for doing them!

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine turned me on to them he hits sets of 15 between his deadlift sets and his lats resemble wings so I'm trying to get on his level haha

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was a lot lighter I did those, and I think I never could get over 6. They do kill the lats.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
He should be everyone's hero, and he makes those look easy haha

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-14-14
Db single leg split squats- 50's x 6 per leg 35's x 12 per leg
Lying leg curl- 12,10,8,8,5,5
Leg extensions- 12,12,12,12
Seated leg curl- 12,12,10,10
Seated calf raises- total destruction, I counted the first set at 20 while doing 2 second holds at the top but after that set I just took every set til I felt like crying them I'd stretch my calves and start again they're shaking with every step I take right now
Felt like a solid day, I've never had an injury before but it's seriously messing with my head, my squat and deadlift were at an all time high for me and now every time I go in the gym and can't do those lifts I feel like I'm losing so much poundage on those lifts

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leg wobble FTW. Once the back heals you'll be beastin it again. Let the back heal.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Split squats are so taxing to me...

You'll be back at it and stronger than ever, Z.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Split squats are so taxing to me... You'll be back at it and stronger than ever, Z.
I hate split squats, they're definitely taxing and when I get to about the 50 lb dbs I find it really hard to get any kind of balance

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate split squats, they're definitely taxing and when I get to about the 50 lb dbs I find it really hard to get any kind of balance
I keep a bar in one hand for balance reasons, even on BW splits. Never know when your leg will decide to quit.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not like you're neglecting your lower body or upper back at all - you may initially lose some strength on squat while your body has to readjust to the highly technical movement and get used to the weight again, but it will come back quick. And deadlift, depending on the layover, might actually improve with rest. I ran a heavily modified Smolov Junior squat program once for 8wks. Did not deadlift, any variation, for 2 whole months. At the end, I set a 5lb squat PR off-cycle over my best on-cycle PR, and Deadlift hadn't dropped at all. And picked up a nice little bit of knee tendonitis from squatting 5x/wk that took almost a year to shake lol, but that's irrelevant. Point is, deadlift is hard to weaken unless you're losing lots of weight or neglecting back/leg/core training, which you're not.

You might even improve any minor imbalances doing what you're doing, and end up coming out ahead. Take your time; it's a marathon.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Today was just abs
Weighted crunches ( db behind head)- 20x12,12 30x12,8,8
Hanging knee raises- 12,10,10,10
Cable crunches- 12,8,8,8
Ab wheel- 10,10,10
Hyper extensions- bw x 8,10,10,10
Lookin really lean today and are starting to show when I'm relaxed

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413391809.915550.jpg

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Abs popping through! Way to show them love today.

Lord knows I need too.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
I almost never isolate them but I figure if I'm gonna be lean enough for them to show then they need to be worth showing

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Woke up late this morning and had to miss the gym so my lifts will all get pushed back a day, but on the up side, since getting rid of any lift that stresses my back I noticed this morning that my back is feeling sooo much better hopefully in another week or 2 I won't feel any pain at all

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Aww man this was a terrible week, had a tire blow out Sunday, I put the spare on and was going to replace it on Friday but on Thursday after work I had 2 tires blow out, so I missed the gym again yesterday getting that taken care of, but it's only a couple days missed, overall it wont matter too much

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aww man this was a terrible week, had a tire blow out Sunday, I put the spare on and was going to replace it on Friday but on Thursday after work I had 2 tires blow out, so I missed the gym again yesterday getting that taken care of, but it's only a couple days missed, overall it wont matter too much
Damn. Sounds like the whole bunch need replacing.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Yea that's what ended up happening

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Aww man, I didn't mean to get anyone sick haha

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-20-14
Power chest/ back width
Bench press: 235x 3,3,3,3,3 205x 5,5
Incline db bench: 70's x6 80's x6,5
Kroc row: 70's x 30 each arm
Rear pull-ups: no assistance x6,5,3 w/assistance x6,8
Wide grip pull downs: 12,12,15
6 way raises: 10,10
Bent over rear delt raise: 8,8

Good workout today, my bench stopped progressing so I reset my training max this felt like a much more productive workout today, I'm starting to realize that the Kroc rows are basically a mind over matter type of movement in gonna try out the 80's on those next week

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong inclines right after flat bench. Nice work. Have you tried "varying angle BB presses"? Start with bench flat, BB press, adjust bench up to incline a notch, BB press, adjust up another notch, etc. I'm not sure how adjustable your bench is but this technique helped me progress.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
The benches don't adjust but on my chest hypertrophy days I'm using plates under the bench to vary my incline, I really want to get into a new gym but there aren't that many close to me that are open 24 hours

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good workout today, my bench stopped progressing so I reset my training max this felt like a much more productive workout today
Just read Paul Carter's Base Building last night, and he discusses this in great depth concerning his philosophy on power training. Carter focuses on submaximal work performed with the CAT principle (compensatory acceleration training, ie applying maximal force possible to every rep of submaximal weights). While he doesn't believe in traditional speed work because "those weights are just too damn light to carry over to heavy loads" he basically is preaching that you always want to pushing to increase barspeed with a given weight. As your strength builds, you either decrease rest and/or increase volume. Only when you've really milked a weight and can no longer progress, it's become a joke for you, do you up the intensity of the loading.

Seems like he'd definitely agree with your decision; if you're just hitting grinders for more than a few sessions your best bet is to double back and work where you can really make strides in speed/power. If you struggle with 275 for 5x5 on squat at first, and 6 weeks later you're getting it all done faster, less winded, and the bar is hauling ass, you got stronger.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say I based it on that because I've never read that book but that seems kinda like how I've set up my programming keeping weights the same and adding an extra set weekly but on the 5th week I'll do an amrap set with my training max and then adjust my max based on the amount of reps I get for that amrap

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh I figured you hadn't read it, just sharing that there's some strong people out there who would agree with the way you manipulated your loading based on what you're experiencing. More weight isn't always the answer to increase peak power potential, as you've seen.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Oh I figured you hadn't read it, just sharing that there's some strong people out there who would agree with the way you manipulated your loading based on what you're experiencing. More weight isn't always the answer to increase peak power potential, as you've seen.
well atleast I know that with my own programming I'm doing something right

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-24-14
Back power/chest hyper
Machine rows- 10,8,8,6,6
Cat back rows- 95x8 135x6,6
Bw pull-ups- 10,6,8,6
Incline bb bench- 95x12 135x12,10,6 115x12
Slight decline db bench- 40s x12 50s x12 45s x12
Cable crossover/push ups super set- 15/12,15/10,15/12
Back felt amazing today I took a few days off this week and I think it paid off I felt zero pain in my lower back, and this chest workout felt great, crazy pump, my weights were low but I really focused on the contraction and trying to only use my chest to move the weights I didn't like the low weights but on the hyper days I just gotta leave my ego in the car

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-27-14
Power chest/ hyper back
Bench press: 235x3,3,3,3,3 205x5,4
Incline db bench: 80s x6,6,5
Kroc row: 80s x25 per arm
Rear pull ups: 30 reps unassisted (several sets)
Wide grip pull downs: 12,15,15
Side laterals: 12,12,12
Db rear delt raise: 8,8,8

Good session, widened my grip by about a half inch in each side on bench and it felt much better and much more powerful, felt pretty strong today despite just hitting chest pretty hard on Friday

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting stronger in the pressing and those Rocky PullUps! No expert on bench press but have someone verify your elbows are not dropping below the bench on the downward movement. If they are then widen your grip. Nice job!

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
I'm usually alone in the gym but I could video my bench and that should suffice, the Rockys are getting better, but they're still TOUGH though

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just lower the bar to your chest and raise your head up to look at them. Generally, wider grip equals shorter ROM and thus more power/stronger. Also loads the shoulders progressively harder, so if you're not built to bench you'll eventually have shoulder pains. Just listen if they start growling, and move the grip back in if so.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just lower the bar to your chest and raise your head up to look at them. Generally, wider grip equals shorter ROM and thus more power/stronger. Also loads the shoulders progressively harder, so if you're not built to bench you'll eventually have shoulder pains. Just listen if they start growling, and move the grip back in if so.
Is there a standard range? I usually put my ring or middle finger on the notch.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say "no" as I place my pinky finger on the notch.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
I always kinda thought a general range was having one of your fingers on that notch

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I always kinda thought a general range was having one of your fingers on that notch
This, except different bars have different notch/knurling locations so this rule really isn't that useful. This goes back finding the hand placement on all your lifts that works for you so you can always set up the same no matter what bar you have to use.

Find what works for you. Lower it to your chest and see where your hands are in relationship to your body. Remember it, and tweak as necessary. Simple, but people get hung up on the notches, go to a buddy's gym to train, and end up doing Close-Grip without even realizing it til everything feels heavy as heck lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We have 3 different pairs of standard bars with slightly different notch locations at the healthclub I go to.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
I read something, I think it came from Lilley, it said something along the lines of put your arms out straight while lying on the bench and then make a 90 degree bend at your elbows, and that's where your hands should go

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
10-30-14
Power back, hyper chest
Machine rows- 12,10,8,6,6,6
Cat back tbar rows- 90x8 135x6,6 145x6
Over hand pull-ups- 30 reps across 4 sets
Incline bb bench- 135x15,12,10
Slight decline db bench- 45s x12,12,10
High pulley cable crossovers- 15,15,12

Good day in the gym I've gone about 5 days now with no pain in my lower back which is awesome, and the workout today was great felt really stong on all my back stuff and then when I moved to chest I had a crazy pump, only negatives were that my wrists felt a little cranky on the pull-ups