what exactly is Lasix (40mgs)

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
A client of mine is seeing a Nutritionist and the Nutritionist per scribed her Lasix at 40mgs and Potassium at 600mgs (2x a week) obviously Lasix is a diuretic...

see is seeking weight loss, why on earth would she be given a diuretic (for temporary loss of water weight)

can someone explain this to me and give me some info on the drug "lasix"...

thanks...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A client of mine is seeing a Nutritionist and the Nutritionist per scribed her Lasix at 40mgs and Potassium at 600mgs (2x a week) obviously Lasix is a diuretic...

see is seeking weight loss, why on earth would she be given a diuretic (for temporary loss of water weight)

can someone explain this to me and give me some info on the drug "lasix"...

thanks...
A nutritionist can't prescribe anything. The title means nothing. Anyone can call themsevles a nutritionist as it has no qualifications.

Now on to Lasix. It a diuretic that can be dangerous and if this "nutritionist" is advising him/her to take this for weight loss then he/she is an ...well I will be nice.

Sodium/potassium levels can be manipulated to drop subcutanous water before a show but in no way will this benefit someone who isn't extremely lean (sub 8-10%). It is stricly for asthetics only.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
It's odd that a nutitionist would prescribe Furosemide (lasix) to a client. Here, In Illinois, it can only be prescibed by an MD.

It's usually prescribed for hypertension. The potasium, because potasium is lost through the extra urine output.

If it's being prescribed for weight loss alone, it's a foolish strategy. We all know that, in a healthy person, increased water intake and decreased sodium leads to decreased water retention.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
2x/week dosing is weird too. Usually it's a daily or twice daily med. I wonder if there wouldn't be some "rebound" water retention between doing days.

For appearance sake only, maybe this "nutitionist" knows what their doing. Medically, however, this is not an accepted practice.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
2x/week dosing is weird too. Usually it's a daily or twice daily med. I wonder if there wouldn't be some "rebound" water retention between doing days.

For appearance sake only, maybe this "nutitionist" knows what their doing. Medically, however, this is not an accepted practice.

Maybe trying to get the client to believe in false sense of weight loss. If she she sees that she lost 5 lbs the client will belive in whats the nutritionist is doing.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
By possibly killing their client with a dangerous drug if used incorrectly? Friend of mine was talking about this today. He's on it due to complications of meds for his Hepatitus. He has congestive heart failure and uses it to pull the fluids out of the extremeties and has another drug(forgot the name) for possible sides of cramping due to the diuretic.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Yeah, lasix is used as a treatment for CHF since it lowers the circulating blood volume, leading to decrease afterload, which results in decreased workload on the heart. Electolyte imbalance, and it's manifestations, is one of the potential results. Don't know how long this person is suposed to be on it. Since it's a fitness model, hopefullly it's just a quick water-weight loss for a shoot, then back to normal.

Hey, alot of us do **** to achieve our goals that is a bit risky, but I don't think this "nutritionist" is acting in the manner of a responsible medical professional. If someone wants to act on their own in the interests of "research", so be it. While lasix, in the spectrum of many of the substances used to enhance appearance, is relatively benign, I certainly wouldn't put myself in position of liabilty that this "nutritionist" is.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established

Twice weekly is a good protocol for high dose test. If your just holding a bit too much water and want to keep it from getting out of hand, twice weekly is plenty.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just have to hope that the risks were explained or the person is smart enough to research so they aren't one of the ones who think, "wow this works well with this dosage but i'm holding a bit more so i'll double its rec. dose schedule". I would say BBers have more problems with the diuretic portion of their BB supplement useage than the AS part.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
LASIX (FUROSEMIDE)
Reported Characteristics

Active-Life: About 6-8 hours (Diuretic effects)
Drug Class: Loop Diuretic (Oral)
Average Reported Dosage: 40-100mg total in a 12 hour period
Acne: None
Water Retention: You must be joking!
High Blood Pressure: None
Liver Toxic: Unknown
Aromatization: Does not apply
Lasix is probably one of the most dangerous drugs some pre-contest bodybuildersused. Even the IFBB tests for diuretics, and that is saying somethingLasix was used to excrete excess water during the last day or two before a show.This was said to be especially effective with subcutaneous water (under the skin) so a"ripped to the bone, dry, and hard" look was achieved. Lasix was also used by some tolose weight for weight class oriented sports.

Loop diuretics work by increasing the excretion of electrolytes (sodium, chloride,potassium) which the body normally uses to maintain intra cellular and extracellularwater. Monitoring of the re-absorption of potassium, sodium, and chloride ions duringuse should have been a must, but few did so. Lasix can and has caused death.As to dosages, it depended upon the effect achieved. Normally 20-40-mg wastaken and (over a periods of 2-4 hours) the bodybuilder evaluates the results. This wasfollowed once or twice more at 4 hour intervals if more water loss was necessary. Toomuch water loss makes the body appear flat with no vascularity and makes it impossibleto pump-up before walking out onto the stage. The effects of Lasix begin within about anhour of administration and continue for 6-8 hours. Once "the look" was achieved, it wasunnecessary to ingest more to maintain "the look".

Lasix is very strong and was reported to cause diarrhea, dehydration, dizziness,muscle cramps, circulatory disorders, vomiting, circulatory collapse, fainting, and cardiacarrest. It was considered far more safe to start with 20-mg and repeat every 4 hours thanto use higher dosages for a shorter period of tome. Over 40-mg per dosage increased sideeffects dramatically!