What? Aw hell no, hold up, huh? ohh okay!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty dress you have there under the x-wife

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So today didn't go as planned. I was warming up on squats and at the bottom of one of my squats my anterior tibialus area leading into my ankle just got like a twinge or something. I immediately rolled it out and it had some disgusting knots.

I have come to the conclusion that:
1. I need to drink more freaking fluids. I have a feeling that this and the upper back cramp a few weeks ago, toppled with a no AC gym and profuse sweating, leads to dehydrated muscles.
2. Due to my schedule being unable to be consistent due to work I may have to sometimes workout 3 days in a row, or do things like 4 of 5 days. When that happens I should try and switch the exercises around a little. All of those pulls yesterday followed by a squat heavy day today may not be ideal.

Easy fix is sort of what I did today. I focused on upper body today and will get the remainder of my squat volume on Saturday, thus making me not miss out on volume for the week. I will lose a hair this week bc I spent all that time trying g to squat so it was a slight waste.

I ended up doing full range floor press
Bar x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10
+ chain each side x 8
+ another chain each side x 8
175 plus chains x 3 x 5

Incline Swiss press
Bar x 10
+50 x 8
+90 x 3 x 6
Did this instead of OHP due to sore foot and it was set up already.

Unfortunately I wasted a lot of time setting up to squat, but still had fun, got some work done, and learned something to avoid this.

That's all peoples

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Hey, whatever keeps you in the game this go round

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey, whatever keeps you in the game this go round
Absolutely. I'm trying to be smart and adapt to circumstances.

I gotta admit, it would be nice to say "Monday Tuesday Friday Saturday" instead of "okay, these have to be the 4 days if I am gonna make it four days this week."

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hi bar squats
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 8
255 x 6
+belt
275 x 5 x 5
+tempo
225 x 5
225 x 2 x 7

Just kinda all squatted out here, plus tired from pushing kids around the zoo all day yesterday.

Sit ups off GHR
BW x 12, 12, 10, 10

Belt squat holds
2 blue bands x 1 minute
+90 x 1 minute
+270 x 1 minute
Dat pressure doe. That's what happens when you do this at the same time as Boss. He was working up to 9 plates each side apparently, I was done at 3 plus the 2 blues.

Been super hectic but I'll catch up on all of your logs tonight. Gotta a kids b day to get to!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bench
135 x 10
160 x 3
+2 chainz
+ 2 more
160 x 6 x 3
Little longer than every minute on the minute. The weight at the top made me want wrist straps on and well, it is a bitch wrapping them every freaking time in that minute. It was more like 1.15-1.30.
https://instagram.com/p/6xhTjKRX8p/

Close grip bench
160 x 3 x 9

Push press(tried behind the neck and just couldn't move it well. So when to front style
95 x 8
115 x 8
135 x 6
150 x 6
150 x 5
150 x 4
Lock out got rough as my triceps felt blasted. Otherwise moved nicely.

Meadows rows
+25 x 10es
+50 x 2 x 8es
+75 x 2 x 8es

Half kneeling face pulls
70 x 15
90 x 3 x 12

Went pretty well. Lower body still a little
Blah so switched to upper lower. Only down side with same type of exercise selection with less frequency is I get whooped after like exercise 2. With more frequency my muscles recover better, but hip can start to bother. I will just keep doing my blocks using prioritizing based on feel if it will be full body or upper/lower.

Solid session. Feeling pretty tan and slightly jacked. Depending on the dental work I am getting done with determine when I lift next.

Thanks for reading fellas.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So guys, forced deload. Had a back tooth pulled. Some bone came out with that sucker. The doctor said "do you have to lift heavy at work" and I said no, but I powerlift for fun...and he said I shouldn't be lifting heaving at the moment. Kinda stinks, but I just got a new fender jazz bass so I will just play that :)

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Sucks about the tooth.. You were on a roll lately too.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He still posts on IG. I think he got into crocheting.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm posting in case any of you guys would be so kind to give this a look. I'm looking for ideas on what is my weakness. I am trying some new form, but I feel like it was muscle more so than form. Again, much appreciated if anyone has the time. If I can manage to post consistently for awhile I will get this thing running again, but I am just not gonna do it if I am sporadic again bc that wastes you guys time.

https://youtu.be/l3ddH4Iigl4

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a mediocre bencher, so with that said:

It looks like your wrists are a little behind the elbows as you get closer to the chest.

You also seem to hold it a little too far over your head at the top instead of carrying the weight in your lats and keeping it over your lower chest area.

And lastly, it doesn't look like you ever hold it at full lock out at the top.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely agree with jim on his top point. Id also say you dont get tight enough in the lower half on the unrack or through the eccentric, your lower half shouldnt be wiggling around like that on the bench if you have a tight base. I almost engage my unrack by starting my leg drive...hard for me to explain but i try to lock my lower half in by pushing up the bench and spreading the floor a lot like a squat, then almost simultaneously unrack with the lats. Then keep my leg drive static throughout the eccentric and an all out push back off the chest.

If you have any luck, hyde, lou, and herder will chime in. They helped me a lot with my bench a while back.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys.

Jim, part of the arm lock thing is my forearm/elbow area was flaring up some so it was uncomfortable to full lock, but I don't think that is why I missed so no excuse. Very good call on taking my time more and getting set properly...something I know I can easily overlook.

Swain, yea I can always get tighter. This is a knew bench position for me as I used to be curled up and on the balls of my feet, I was right but leg drive sucked. I'm desperately searching for the best position. I agree 100% I need to get tighter. I'll keep your set up idea in mind next bench session. Next week is deload so I can work more on form with lighter weight.

Thanks again guys. I always appreciated the AM community, even though I haven't been a part of it for awhile.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm gonna chime in.

Your set up needs work. From a tightness stand point. I greatly prefer a feet first set up so I can arch against my feet and leg drive to set the highest arch. My leg drive starts well before the unrack to make this happen.

Need to let the shoulders sink in and find your lats to help groove the weight. I can tell this isn't happening bc you are tucking way hard to find them. 45 degrees arm angle should be comfortable with lats engaged so you can also loads the major pressing muscles. The lats are not a prime mover.

Head needs to be driven into the bench, leg drive pushing you up, trying to meet the bar as it comes down to have the tightest bottom postiton.

Lately. Flare into the weight some on the reverse to use those pressing muscles. We pressed up, which is proven to be the worst way to bench big weights.

Can try to post vids if needed.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey buddy, good to see you posting videos again. You're doing alright, just tentative in the new setup. If you do all the things you've been doing, but harder, you'll be good.

Legs pushing toward your head harder, Shoulder blades in the back pocket harder. Pull it out with your lats harder. Since you mentioned elbow pain, I'm assuming the tuck got you away from the elbow pain and that's why you did it. I actually really like where you touched, just stay flared so that you stay under the bar like Jim noticed. Then you can reverse with the pressing muscles like Lou said.

I've been having great luck breaking the bench into a two part movement. Once you carry it out as far as your lats will take it, row it straight down with elbows at 8 and 4, then punch it back toward the rack on the press. See if you can find the Greg Nuckols articles on bar path and benching with a flare. If I had to guess a muscle to work, I'd say pecs, since you're being shy about including them by having the tuck. Likely your delts are the strong point so the big flare helps get them involved. Maybe try to iron these things out and then post a triple at 80% in two weeks And we'll have better luck.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey guys, great info and thoughts, all four of you. It's a lot to think about. I am gonna be sure to read through it all a few times before I bench again. You guys are the man(s) ?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You know, I don't use quads on squat or chest on bench...I think I use my PC on pulls at least.

I know thy goals now

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know, I don't use quads on squat or chest on bench...I think I use my PC on pulls at least.

I know thy goals now
Learning to use both of these have helped me a lot.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Learning to use both of these have helped me a lot.
Yea I feel stupid not realizing it sooner. So now, as I am cutting a little bit of weight to get leaner I am also working on weakness and change of technique...let's say the numbers lately have been less then stellar.

That said I hope I step back is followed by two steps forward.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea I feel stupid not realizing it sooner. So now, as I am cutting a little bit of weight to get leaner I am also working on weakness and change of technique...let's say the numbers lately have been less then stellar.

That said I hope I step back is followed by two steps forward.
I had to do the same several times over. Even at the start of this meet prep. But it will result in better results in the long run. I'd rather extend my long term strength curve then float at the edge of my current curve. Green mentions this in his west of west side article.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I cant seem to repeat efforts on deadlifts. What I mean is it seems anytime I have a great deadlift session my next one sucks. Anyone else get this? Training ideas around this?

I'm contemplating volume one week, low volume speed next week, and so on.

Sorry bros, don't want to make a thread bc really you guys are the reason I am on here and I am skeptical of people until I get to see what they are about

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I cant seem to repeat efforts on deadlifts. What I mean is it seems anytime I have a great deadlift session my next one sucks. Anyone else get this? Training ideas around this?

I'm contemplating volume one week, low volume speed next week, and so on.

Sorry bros, don't want to make a thread bc really you guys are the reason I am on here and I am skeptical of people until I get to see what they are about
I say turn every training session into a speed/technique session. 5-6 triples at 70%, add 5# each week. Focus and be picky on every rep, in speed, technique, and feel. Film every set. Do this until you're perfect at it and then your technical efficiency will be such that you will easily repeat efforts.

Another thing is that specific deadlift volume should be much lower than the other two lifts. Its too taxing. You can't really fudge deadlift frequency, either. You're basically stuck to once a week at maximum, and you should be a little below Prilepin. That makes it important to get lots of first reps with short rest, to focus on the execution intensely, and to hammer assistance.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say turn every training session into a speed/technique session. 5-6 triples at 70%, add 5# each week. Focus and be picky on every rep, in speed, technique, and feel. Film every set. Do this until you're perfect at it and then your technical efficiency will be such that you will easily repeat efforts.

Another thing is that specific deadlift volume should be much lower than the other two lifts. Its too taxing. You can't really fudge deadlift frequency, either. You're basically stuck to once a week at maximum, and you should be a little below Prilepin. That makes it important to get lots of first reps with short rest, to focus on the execution intensely, and to hammer assistance.
Yep.

I only pull heavy 1 time every 3 weeks or so, and usually just in meet prep. It's a taxing lift to recover from, and, for me, comes with the highest injury risk.

I typically pull once a week for speed work. Mine is usually singles in meet prep, but I do CAT type work in the offseason with triples at a slightly higher percentage. Always after squatting as well.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys, I gotta take that advice and figure how to add it to my program. I'm basically in a volume phase and it's going great except pulls. Pulls is like "week 1 awesome! Week 2 who was strength?" Lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys, I gotta take that advice and figure how to add it to my program. I'm basically in a volume phase and it's going great except pulls. Pulls is like "week 1 awesome! Week 2 who was strength?" Lol
I do the CAT pulls in a volume block, usually following the base building scheme immediately after squatting (also usually for CAT work, but regular volume work should be OK too).

I believe the base building model is 80% of a training max for 5 sets of 3.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do the CAT pulls in a volume block, usually following the base building scheme immediately after squatting (also usually for CAT work, but regular volume work should be OK too).

I believe the base building model is 80% of a training max for 5 sets of 3.
I'll keep that in mind. I was doing 3 x 8, then 4 x 6, then 5 x 5 with small percentage increase(literally like 3-5 percent) and that first deadlift session killed me. Working good on the other lifts even with AMRAP on last sets. 80% for triples sounds very manageable. Gotta figure how I want to do it but I'll work off of that.

I appreciate the help James

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd rather see you do low rep repeats with a set rest period between sets or a time cap. So 3 reps 8-10 sets. Then just cycle percents like 60-65-70%-deload. Squatted volume, limited rest increases intensity via a different modality, a lot of first reps, plus some extra conditioning.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd rather see you do low rep repeats with a set rest period between sets or a time cap. So 3 reps 8-10 sets. Then just cycle percents like 60-65-70%-deload. Squatted volume, limited rest increases intensity via a different modality, a lot of first reps, plus some extra conditioning.
Interesting, I have about a week before my next micro cycle so I am really going to have to think about this. I haven't really thought about setting it up that way before, but it does raise some pretty solid training considerations. Thanks brotha!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting, I have about a week before my next micro cycle so I am really going to have to think about this. I haven't really thought about setting it up that way before, but it does raise some pretty solid training considerations. Thanks brotha!
Np dude! This is how I like to program my own squats bc for some reason that is the lift that kills me most esp on reps. So o fee your pain.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anyone ever think it's weird how you can say what ever the **** you want and people look at it as facts in powerlifting circles as long as you have a big total? Isn't it cray?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone ever think it's weird how you can say what ever the **** you want and people look at it as facts in powerlifting circles as long as you have a big total? Isn't it cray?
Its also funny how pretty much anyone with a big total is now offering programming as if they did their own programming that got them to where they are.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Its also funny how pretty much anyone with a big total is now offering programming as if they did their own programming that got them to where they are.
Lmao good observation

It just annoys the crap out of me sometimes. I got in a disagreement and end of it I just was like "this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on" and left the convo lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lmao good observation

It just annoys the crap out of me sometimes. I got in a disagreement and end of it I just was like "this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on" and left the convo lol
I just let people believe what they want anymore. I just consider it an advantage I know the truth anyways lol

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just let people believe what they want anymore. I just consider it an advantage I know the truth anyways lol
I just don't get the thought process. Having a narrow mind is not great for growth.

Last time I say something about lifting on Facebook lol

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I just don't get the thought process. Having a narrow mind is not great for growth.
This. People take too many things as absolutes. Goes well beyond the lifting world.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just ended up in an argument with some nimwit trying to say that the paused bench is easier than a touch and go bench because it eliminates the stretch reflex (ie saying you get a better stretch reflex with a pause). And was completely incapable of seeing that he was an idiot.

Our convo on here the other day just made me think of you lol.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just ended up in an argument with some nimwit trying to say that the paused bench is easier than a touch and go bench because it eliminates the stretch reflex (ie saying you get a better stretch reflex with a pause). And was completely incapable of seeing that he was an idiot.

Our convo on here the other day just made me think of you lol.
Wow that is stupid. I actually mess with a buddy of mine when he goes to test bench I always say "you gonna pause it like in comp" just because I know he doesn't want to bc he will do less lol

People can suck

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
11/27

Cambered squat
Up to 365 x 1@8
285 x 3 x 8 https://instagram.com/p/BNUSxLkj6Rp/
Belt squat-2 plates x 3 x 10, 1 x 10+4+4+3+1hold
Lunges/anti-flexion dead bug-20lb DBs x 4 x 20 steps/red band x 4 x 16

Das pump. I'll get better with this bar next week. I can't blast through or I'll lose balance.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
11/29

Bench
Up to 255 x [email protected]
190 x 2 x 8, 1 x 12
https://instagram.com/p/BNZjyS2DwNk/

DB incline
50's x 2 x 20, 1 x 15
Triceps burning out

DB facepull
25's x 4 x 15

Pec dec/side raise
70 x 4 x 10/15's x 4 x 10

V bar push down
95 x 4 x 15

DB curl
20's x 4 x 12

Felt a little sluggish, and legs super sore still from Sunday, but overall it was a good session. Not great, but first upper in a minute so I look forward to improving on this.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
12/01/16

Front squat
Up to 265 x 1...moved easy but I literally almost blacked out
Tried harness x 135 x 2 x 8 not comfortable

Deadlift
315 x 12 x 1 with less then minute rest

Leg press
1plate es x 8 wide/8close
2p x 8w/8c
3p x 8/8
4p x 8/8
3p x 8/8

Hyper extension
+25 x 4 x 10

Kettle bell up carries
25's x 4 sets

Man I remember why I never do front squats. I'll likely just do high bar or something next week. And that harness thing just odd. It digs into my gut and forces an unnatural forward fall.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice work in here lately dude, glad to see you back logging. What type of programming you following these days?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice work in here lately dude, glad to see you back logging. What type of programming you following these days?
Basically I have developed my own thing that is very simple and takes aspects from different programs.

Basically On main squat and bench I work up to 1 rep at an 8RPE, then I estimate the days 1 rep make to determine my percentage. I usually rotate 3 x 8, 4 x 6, and 5 x 5. The percentage goes up 3-6% each week and I AMRAP the last set. Assistance is changed in 3-4 week waves slightly and I just try to get better each week. Every 4th week I drop the volume but keep intensity up. Working so far. Deadlift are different as my body can't handle that type of work. I practice singles slightly progressing weight and I rotate in speed dears with bands to maintain health. PR'd in all three lifts this way so I am gonna try to do it again.

Also my assistance is very bodybuilding oriented until like a strength-peak phase.

I swear it's simple as hell when I write it out lol

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice, simple is best. And really as long as you got some method of progressive overload you're gonna get stronger.