What? Aw hell no, hold up, huh? ohh okay!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya that's a good one and I'm not saying hey let your knees crash. Just that when you send the knees out on the way down it makes sense tey have to come back in at least some to make sure you are in optimal position.

Wish I could find it, only vaguely remember it, but I saw an article relevant to narrow squatters (it was for weightlifters) talking about an actual queue to send the knees in right after rebound to optimize efficiency. Food for thought and not the kind of thing id even tell most ppl because they aren't ready for that, but you all are smart and love discussion so here I am discussing. :p

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1438223077.863207.jpg

here's the gist of it. Again I'm posting this more for broadened discussion and it's not even something I'd tell ppl to do on purpose.

Blah blah blah sorry for the derail.

Edit: still wish I could find the thing I'm thinking of (usually save it on my comp). It was interesting to read how some international weightlifting coaches even queue it that way and it made sense, but again not to the point I'd actively tell ppl to do it (can't say I haven't tried it tho haha).

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Ya that's a good one and I'm not saying hey let your knees crash. Just that when you send the knees out on the way down it makes sense tey have to come back in at least some to make sure you are in optimal position.

Wish I could find it, only vaguely remember it, but I saw an article relevant to narrow squatters (it was for weightlifters) talking about an actual queue to send the knees in right after rebound to optimize efficiency. Food for thought and not the kind of thing id even tell most ppl because they aren't ready for that, but you all are smart and love discussion so here I am discussing. :p
There's this famous weightlifter. Can't remember his name but he clean and jerked over 500lbs and he would squat and catch his cleans literally on his toes (and he did this on purpose). I'm talking heals coming off the ground in Oly shoes.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subd

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great convo guys. I guess this is a kinda like the head up vs head down in the squat now. There are interesting and , not really wrong, different thoughts on what is correct. Credit to Lou as I do always have trouble with the connection with the floor, but at the same time as you guys said I don't want it to go further either way.

Something to keep an eye on and something I didn't notice really, which is why it is nice to be logging here again. Great help from you guys.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fat bar
75 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 3
150 x 2
Not too difficult. Put on belt and wraps thinking Pr and!!!!!!
165 x 0
****! I hate OHP sometimes. Goes from zero to a hundred fast.
+push
165 x 2 x 3
-push
115 x 6
115 x 5
115 x 3
All fast paced

3 count pause bench
135 x 3
155 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 2 x 2
185 x 2 x 2
185 x 4
So think I found some stuff today. On that 225 pauses(and someone counted so they weren't a fast 3 lol) I was pausing like I was touching my shirt. While sitting there at the bottom on the second set I managed to flex my upper body and get tighter, making it feel easier than the first set. Rodja, your pushing out the toes cue helped, but I also found today I feel better and tighter with the heels up more. I know everyone says I need to get them down but I just can't seem to get into a great position this way. I've tried hundreds of times now.

DB rows off bottom rack
50 x 10 each side
80 x 10es
90 x 3 x 10es
Haven't done these in forever and they were tough for me not gonna lie. Will keep in the immediate rotation.

1 arm reverse pec dec
90 x 12es
X 3 x 8es
X 10es
This was all done with little to no breaks just left right left like walking?

Fat V Bar push downs
110 x 20
I died

Solid session today. Feel like I am making some lead way on bench. We shall see when I am comp pressing with a little more weight.

That's all I got you cheeky bastards :D

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice work man. Always good to figure something new out on bench. And that's just how OHP is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup. I can have an OHP fly like its nothing then add 5# and fast fail.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Belt less front squat w/SSB
90 x 2 x 4
140 x 4
180 x 4
200 x 4
230 x 4

Belt less pulls
135 x 5 x 1
225 x 5 x 1
275 x 5 x 1
315 x 4 x 1
So this was crazy, pulls were flying and feeling good. Went to do the 5th single and as I was bracing before I even bent down my upper back locked up like a mother ****er. Never had happened to me before. It feels decent now, just sore. Likely the combo of hitting new weights on front squats and possibly hydration. Freaking sucks bc I woke up early to go before work. Oh well, **** happens.

Back at it with an upper on Tuesday. After this week is some sort of a deload.

Thanks for reading gents

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At least it siding happen on your first single. Good work today.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
At least it siding happen on your first single. Good work today.
I'm just happy it didn't happen during a pull or it would have freaked me out like something non muscular. I guess I was effectively tightening my lats before I went down lol

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Those are the worst. I once cramped up from my toes all the way up to my hamstring. I was literally in tears lol

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are the worst. I once cramped up from my toes all the way up to my hamstring. I was literally in tears lol
I get one about once a year. Freaking brutal.

Maybe regular quad flexing for extended periods of time helps keep this away.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I get one about once a year. Freaking brutal.

Maybe regular quad flexing for extended periods of time helps keep this away.
Lol it's gonna take awhile for this one to blow over

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I used to get those all the time.. Then I stopped getting em. Weird.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Deloaderella

Bench 135 x 10
155 x 10
175 x 10
135 x 15
Only had to retake my air once each set. Stay tight or die? Lol

Pec dec
120 x 4 x 8

Face pulls
90 x 3 x 16

Kb rolling tris
25 each hand x 3 x 12

Incline curls
20's x 3 x 8each side

Sit ups off the GHR
Bw x 3 x 10

Did mobility after this. Tried the X wife and I'm a puss. We have a 165lb one that Hoff left at the gym and I just couldn't roll it all the way down my quads. I will learn.

I am having trouble deciding on how to program starting on Sunday...I seen the chad wesley smith strength block planning on YouTube, and it seemed very interesting, but that is just the one phase. I gotta decide how I am gonna do this before Sunday. Just so many good/fun options and you can't do them all. It's more of "how do I want to build momentum, and how to keep it enjoyable?"

End blog spot yall!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I want an x wife. And yea, program selection is a b**ch.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
If you're interested in the CWS strength block video go for it. If you want to do a hypertrophy block beforehand just up the volume and lower the intensity or add some accessory work (or both). Wouldn't think you need to consider a peaking block anytime soon so just spend your time in the other two blocks. How often you spend in each block depends on your goals

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm just feeling it out personally. I think I'll do short blocks of mostly hypertrophy myself.

So
Weeks 1-8 hypertrophy
Weeks 9-12 strength/peak for rep max to reset for another hypertrophy block with hypertrophy assistance. So not a pure strength block as I'm really far out from a meet.

Just an idea.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I want an x wife. And yea, program selection is a b**ch.
Yea I really like a lot of stuff from different groups of people. The normal x wife is apparently 135 and donnie roles it down one leg at a time. This was 165 and I just couldn't get it over the one spot; brutal!

I'm just feeling it out personally. I think I'll do short blocks of mostly hypertrophy myself.

So
Weeks 1-8 hypertrophy
Weeks 9-12 strength/peak for rep max to reset for another hypertrophy block with hypertrophy assistance. So not a pure strength block as I'm really far out from a meet.

Just an idea.
I like how you have a way of at least autoregulating the block. The only thing about hypertrophy blocks is(see below)...

If you're interested in the CWS strength block video go for it. If you want to do a hypertrophy block beforehand just up the volume and lower the intensity or add some accessory work (or both). Wouldn't think you need to consider a peaking block anytime soon so just spend your time in the other two blocks. How often you spend in each block depends on your goals
What does chad use for a hypertrophy block is what I was wondering? Like be uses 70-85% for strength, great. But would hypertrophy be 55-70? The low end of this just seems a little low if this is the case. I hope he does a video for the other blocks.

Or sweetlou, what ideas you have for percents here?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
After reading an article with chad he mentions sets of 5-10 that you can repeat, and mentions a level of volume that is high, but can be maintained for blocks. I also recall Mike Israetel liking sets of 8. Now if I look at what I was used to RPE, and where let's say 8 reps at a 7rpe I land on 71%. Then I could simply repeat that to @8.5-9 and get in a good amount of sets at a repeatable effort. Hmmmmm what do you guys think about this? I have like a hundred ideas brewing. If I can write it, and say "this is why I am doing this" on every part confidently then I will have something I can get behind and build confidence in my training.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just as a heads up brah but some of those 55 and 60% rep work I've done recently (CWS inspired) was sneaky tough hahaha

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just as a heads up brah but some of those 55 and 60% rep work I've done recently (CWS inspired) was sneaky tough hahaha
Do you know the preferred percent range by chance?

Edit: it is 60-70%

Found it!

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Yep you got it. It's all in that book dmax bought everyone my man. Tons of great information in there

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea I really like a lot of stuff from different groups of people. The normal x wife is apparently 135 and donnie roles it down one leg at a time. This was 165 and I just couldn't get it over the one spot; brutal!

I like how you have a way of at least autoregulating the block. The only thing about hypertrophy blocks is(see below)...

What does chad use for a hypertrophy block is what I was wondering? Like be uses 70-85% for strength, great. But would hypertrophy be 55-70? The low end of this just seems a little low if this is the case. I hope he does a video for the other blocks.

Or sweetlou, what ideas you have for percents here?
To be honest I've been using more of an rpe scale and repeated efforts for a desired volume. Once I achieved it I added weight the next week. Simple but I'm using some new movements I don't have percents for. For my comp work I'm using percents and building conditioning and work capacity.

My two goals this off season were work capacity and hypertrophy.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep you got it. It's all in that book dmax bought everyone my man. Tons of great information in there
I actually found it in the video he briefly talks about it. I'll eventually get the book.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To be honest I've been using more of an rpe scale and repeated efforts for a desired volume. Once I achieved it I added weight the next week. Simple but I'm using some new movements I don't have percents for. For my comp work I'm using percents and building conditioning and work capacity.

My two goals this off season were work capacity and hypertrophy.
That's what made me think RPE is no real numbers to work off on some hypertrophy stuff. Good stuff Lou. I like the idea of conditioning with the comp lifts too.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's what made me think RPE is no real numbers to work off on some hypertrophy stuff. Good stuff Lou. I like the idea of conditioning with the comp lifts too.
I'm using Sam Byrd's methods for the main lifts actually. Also link your email to any of the bros we all got the book.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm using Sam Byrd's methods for the main lifts actually. Also link your email to any of the bros we all got the book.
I don't. What book we talkin about?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hmm never really followed much of Sam Byrd. I'll give it a look tomorrow.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Yeah, just PM any of us your email address and we'll send the link. It's Israetel's and CWS' book. Scientific principles of strength training

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, just keep going! That one knot where all the quad muscles tie into the tendon, chill on that spot, let it rest on your kneecaps, gotta do your adductors, the whole 9. Most important is to let it chill on the bad spot on your back for as long as you can or ten minutes, whichever comes first. We x wife everything but the sides of our torso, our IT, And our forearms. Everything must go!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dude, just keep going! That one knot where all the quad muscles tie into the tendon, chill on that spot, let it rest on your kneecaps, gotta do your adductors, the whole 9. Most important is to let it chill on the bad spot on your back for as long as you can or ten minutes, whichever comes first. We x wife everything but the sides of our torso, our IT, And our forearms. Everything must go!
I just couldn't do it haha. I'll work up to it. I couldn't imagine the pain of that in my IT band. One day. Ill need to not be using it solo and have someone that I am not embarrassed to see me squirm lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely best to have an x wife buddy. I only know one guy who can handle an x wife on the IT, And he had 30 years of martial arts and leg kicks and caning to temper his IT

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Last deload day yay

Squat
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10
Then moved the pins up and did some clusters. It was easier to get in good position, but It was kinda a pain putting it back. Any body every felt this pain? Lol

Deadlift
225 x tons of triples taping and checking form.

Belt squat marches on top of tons of mats
Gray + 90 x 3 sets

Then did some mobility. Almost got the x wife down my quads today so that was cool. That was the hardest part of the day lol. Little more mobility. Sunday I will start my training. Still some trouble programming it, but I gotta come up with something quick! I have ideas, but it's hard to get it just right.

I'll end up okay though. It will be a learning process as always.

Sincerely,
Bobby Valentine

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice little deload. Focusing on dialing in form and getting some mobility/x wife work. I like it

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post your ideas and maybe we can help you dial it in?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Post your ideas and maybe we can help you dial it in?
I think I am on to something here, but I will. For me a lot of the hard part is "what am I going to not do that I like?" Part of which is why I understand all the guys loving conjugate training at the gym...but I like structure and progression and 97 variations is too hard for me to program lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think I am on to something here, but I will. For me a lot of the hard part is "what am I going to not do that I like?" Part of which is why I understand all the guys loving conjugate training at the gym...but I like structure and progression and 97 variations is too hard for me to program lol
It is fun. But I always found that even for conjugate I got the best results when I only had 4-6 variations at most so I could track them.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hypertrophy Block
-all work is beltless this block
-it is set up this way as I do not have 6 days to get to the gym like CWS. 4 is hard enough for me.
-this is the low end of sets and percents purposely. The plan is to up volume and/or intensity each week of the block and really earn that deload by week 3
-deadlift planning taken from CWS
-The EMOM work can build up to 12 reps and/or slight intensity(even considering accommodating resistance)
-I did not care a ton for the idea of stopping the competition lift for these blocks so EMOM work allows me to work on form/efficiency, allows me to practice set up many times, and can help my **** conditioning
-during the deload week I can make adjustments
-2 hypertrophy blocks in a row is the idea
-the strength block will have all of the glorious pause variants and pin variants. Just wasn’t sure that they were optimal hypertrophy type movements

Week 1-3
Day 1
Front Squat 2 x 7 @70% (high stress)
Competition Bench 9 x 3 @60% EMOM
Close Grip Bench Press 3 x 9 @60% (low stress)

Day 2
Competition Deadlift 9 x 3@60% EMOM
SLDL 3 x 9@60-65%week1(low stress), 3 x 8@65-70%week2(medium stress), 2 x 7@70-75%week3(high stress)
Belt March/hold
Upper back variation(row variant)

Day 3
Competition Squat 9 x 3@60% EMOM
Hi Bar Squat 3 x 8 @65% (medium stress)
Full ROM Floor Press 3 x 8 @65% (medium stress)

Day 4
Tempo Squats 3 x 9 @60% (low stress)
OHP 2 x 7 @70% (high stress)
Core work
isolation upper body work

What do you think AM?

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I'd like to see a little more upper body volume, honestly. In the form of accessory exercises for the back/shoulders/arms. Program it efficiently and you're talking adding another 15 minutes to each session, if that (and hardly impeding recovery).

Here's how I'd rearrange it:

Front squat
Bench EMOM
CGBP
Delts/arms accessory

Deadlift EMOM
SLDL
Belt marches/holds
Upper back accessory

Squat EMOM
High bar
OHP
Delts/arms accessory

Tempo squat
Floor press
Upper back accessory
Core

...messes with your stress levels on day 3 and 4, but I think you'd live. My 2 cents, hopefully others will chime in

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd have to watch chads video as I'm not familiar with this style of layout with all the percents and what not. But I like lifts suggestions.

Can I ask why you picked the variants you did to get a better idea of your layout and what your issues are and your goals for this block and where do you think you need mass to make progress?

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I'd have to watch chads video as I'm not familiar with this style of layout with all the percents and what not. But I like lifts suggestions.

Can I ask why you picked the variants you did to get a better idea of your layout and what your issues are and your goals for this block and where do you think you need mass to make progress?

Chad operates (in accordance with the literature) in the 60-75% range during his hypertrophy blocks. He rotates low, medium, and high stress days for each lift. Low = 60-65 Medium = 65-70 High = 70-75. Rob has condensed it into 4 days though.

Squat:
Comp, high bar, front, tempo

Deadlift:
Comp, SLDL

Bench:
Comp, CGBP, floor press, OHP

These are pretty standard. I mean, he's gonna build mass everywhere he needs to. As far as the issues with his specific lifts he'll have to chime in, obviously, but I think he's done well. The way I see it, be straightforward during a hypertrophy block. Pick variants that will help you build mass and worry about selecting lifts that'll attack weak movement patterns during your strength block. That's 100% opinion though.

Only chiming in again because I can't freaking sleep :(

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Overall looks solid, maybe slightly adjusted like swim posted.

I'll just add when you do the EMOMs to focus on form and bar speed. Especially at the lighter weights I was practicing being perfect technically and moving the weight with purpose. :D

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd like to see a little more upper body volume, honestly. In the form of accessory exercises for the back/shoulders/arms. Program it efficiently and you're talking adding another 15 minutes to each session, if that (and hardly impeding recovery).

Here's how I'd rearrange it:

Front squat
Bench EMOM
CGBP
Delts/arms accessory

Deadlift EMOM
SLDL
Belt marches/holds
Upper back accessory

Squat EMOM
High bar
OHP
Delts/arms accessory

Tempo squat
Floor press
Upper back accessory
Core

...messes with your stress levels on day 3 and 4, but I think you'd live. My 2 cents, hopefully others will chime in
I am definitely all for the extra accessory. The only reason I didn't add more is because I don't know how long the sessions will run. I do have a limited time in the gym. Enough to get a good workout, but not DMax style on all days. If time allows I will definitely implement more accessory work. Good call.

Honestly it is just asking myself the question "what can I do good for hypertrophy?" I'll be honestly I don't entirely know. I used to do bro work outs for years, and as I finally learned some stuff about programming it has been all powerlifting. I do know quads and glutes are issues of mine. Upper body it is hard to tell. I miss lifts at the transition portion of benching; meaning I don't miss on the chest, or at *******. I would imagine some larger pecs could be useful? I dunno.

Overall looks solid, maybe slightly adjusted like swim posted.

I'll just add when you do the EMOMs to focus on form and bar speed. Especially at the lighter weights I was practicing being perfect technically and moving the weight with purpose. :D
Good tip, and I intend to. With my physical issues, which I largely believe stem from twisted hips(functional short leg), I really need to focus on form to remain balanced and pain free.