Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep, I am so with you on that! I have prepped people for physique shows but can't keep myself on a plan without wanting to try whatever it is that looks cool that I am not doing. LOL

Lately though (last 3 years) it has been even harder. I had to get out of my head with the planning because I kept running into injury issues the kept me from being able to comply which would set me off. Made me not enjoy any of it so I just ate instead. Kind of that all or nothing thing that @Hyde mentioned to me in my log. Now I just have to correct it.
Next time our goals are in line with each other (if your interested) we should do a group log or something. Make each other stay accountable.

I've thought about doing this open to everyone on the thread. Put up a good diet model, a calorie calculator and a workout plan and see who wants to join in. Online group training. I would tell everyone to start their own log individually but then everyone has to update twice a week in the group log and each person get assigned a different day if that makes sense.

So I'm just going to use random numbers names here but, maybe on Monday and Thursday me, you and Hyde have to report to the group log, then Tuesday and Friday mikereyn, biceps and match have to report in añd so on. It would probably be a lot of work to get everybody on the same page though LOL. But I think it would be effective as a group training tool I'm not saying for the people's names that I listed but for anyone who has a hard time staying on track

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Next time our goals are in line with each other (if your interested) we should do a group log or something. Make each other stay accountable.

I've thought about doing this open to everyone on the thread. Put up a good diet model, a calorie calculator and a workout plan and see who wants to join in. Online group training. I would tell everyone to start their own log individually but then everyone has to update twice a week in the group log and each person get assigned a different day if that makes sense.

So I'm just going to use random numbers names here but, maybe on Monday and Thursday me, you and Hyde have to report to the group log, then Tuesday and Friday mikereyn, biceps and match have to report in añd so on. It would probably be a lot of work to get everybody on the same page though LOL. But I think it would be effective as a group training tool I'm not saying for the people's names that I listed but for anyone who has a hard time staying on track
If you start that: count me in.

My current plans are: restart all REAL lifting on Oct 31st. Maintenance calories and weight for 4 weeks while I regrow my twigs (via muscle memory) back to their former non-twigginess, then body fat loss for 6 weeks, then 4 weeks maintenance, then 6 weeks bulk, etc, until I get to my hawaii trip in June (if all works out well) which should be just after my next body fat cut finishes up.

I wouldn't post my weights for my workouts though. Too ashamed of my low numbers! :ROFLMAO:

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

My current plans are: restart all REAL lifting on Oct 31st. Maintenance calories and weight for 4 weeks while I regrow my twigs (via muscle memory) back to their former non-twigginess, then body fat loss for 6 weeks, then 4 weeks maintenance, then 6 weeks bulk, etc, until I get to my hawaii trip in June (if all works out well) which should be just after my next body fat cut finishes up.

I wouldn't post my weights for my workouts though. Too ashamed of my low numbers! :ROFLMAO:
That time frame would work for me. My cousin us getting married in june back home in San Diego so. I haven't been back there scince my wife passed away and I wasn't looking at all like myself when I was there so I really want to go back looking like the mini Jay cutler that I used to look like.lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I probably wouldn't be able to do it till spring time because I gotta drop weight and get my cardio up soon. So why don't you just spend the winter getting your strength back together and healing up and then you'll be good to go

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have never done a group workout thing like that on here. I did do it for a while on the Train heroic App doing Zac Evenesh's Garage Gym Gladiators group and that was a lot of fun and highly productive.
We have also done a few challenge threads, and transformation threads where we all put up our specific goals and updated in that log throughout then did some voting based on people with like goals. They were all very successful and a lot of fun. Most people made excellent progress because we were all helping hold each other accountable.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weighins at 7am ET & comp start at 9am on Saturday?

You’re already at weight, just hold the course, sodium lower until you’re weighed in, then lots of sodium and simple easily digestible carbs that don’t make you feel sick. Something like cream of rice with honey & a side of pickle juice, or a bowl of rice & soy sauce, you get it. Maybe add a little fruit, a pedialyte or half-strength Gatorade with added salt, ready to rock.

Haribo gummy bears or glucose tabs while warming up if you need a top off to keep glucose levels up.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

You’re already at weight, just hold the course, sodium lower until you’re weighed in, then lots of sodium and simple easily digestible carbs that don’t make you feel sick. Something like cream of rice with honey & a side of pickle juice, or a bowl of rice & soy sauce, you get it. Maybe add a little fruit, a pedialyte or half-strength Gatorade with added salt, ready to rock.

Haribo gummy bears or glucose tabs while warming up if you need a top off to keep glucose levels up.
Damn @Hyde cream of rice with honey sounds good. I've been stuck on cream of rice with frozen cherries post workout the last few weeks. I love oatmeal but the cream of rice is a great change of pace. I've noticed a lot of pro bodybuilders have been doing the cream of rice thing lately too

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Change in plans, the strongman events were supposed to start at 9:00 and that has changed now because too many people backed out of strong man and it's going to be a bench press only competition.

Doors open at 9:30 a.m. weigh in start at 10:00 a.m.

Athletes meeting at 10:30 and competition starts at 11:00

There is a set minimum number of weight that is going to be on the bar and it's 200 lb or something like that. So what they're going to do is call out a weight 225 it doesn't matter what weight class you're in if you want to attempt 225 you will hop in and we will go through turns at 225.

So since my opening left is going to be 320 lb I'm going to have a little bit of extra time while they go through the initial rounds which will probably be the guys in smaller weight classes.

My plan was to have a shake with a bunch of carbs in it at right after I weighed in. I was going to put everything in a blender and liquefy it at home that way I can slug it immediately and then just keep snacking on gummy bears or whatever if I need to in between but if you have a better approach please share.

Once everyone's gone through their first attempt I'm not exactly sure how it goes from there but I'm assuming everything will continue in a similar fashion for the second attempt and the third attempt.

I'm calling and ordering pizzas to the gym after my second attempt LOL, hoping they'll show up shortly after we finish.

There's only 14 competitors total spread out amongst five weight classes now. And it looks like my weight class only has me and three other guys. Some of the later weight classes only have one guy in them.

I'm a little aggravated because a whole gym backed out of this meat and they were one of the original founders of this it's a memorial and a fundraiser for student athletes scholarships and the memorial itself is remembering a few people that died who used to introduce people to the sport of strongman and powerlifting and two of those people were members of the gym that backed out of this meat because they're going to a sanction meet they've completely lost sight about what this was all about. It's kind of sad actually but nonetheless it's more of a fundraiser than anything I'm just going to go do my thing and try to have a good time

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Today I was 198.2 again

My past few days diet was as follows

300 calorie protein bar and a medium Dunkin' donuts coffee with cream only 360 total

A small salad with 5 oz of grilled chicken Greek yogurt and hot sauce and it works out to 450 calories

100 calorie Greek yogurt cup and an apple works out to about 130 calories

Light to moderate cardio with just water

One cup of fairlife milk one scoop of protein powder made into a shake and poured over Rice Krispies 480 calories

6 oz of lean meat, two servings of rice and a bunch of vegetables and some sauce 1000 calories.

So I've been eating 2400 calories a day for the past 5 days or so and it's had me losing a pound a day until today.

ZLB70

ZLB70

Awards
By the way, the shake my buddy recommended was protein powder milk oats and cherry pie filling and he said to liquefy it and slug it right after weigh-ins. Actually sounds pretty f****** good lol
+1 for the cherry pie filling, sounds good.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I just noticed there's lots of typos in my post, talk to text, sorry guys.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cook up some cream of rice and put it in that shake too. It will give it a nice consistency and give you some carbs that are not just sugar, and it digests very quickly so it will get in your system fast.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
By the way, the shake my buddy recommended was protein powder milk oats and cherry pie filling and he said to liquefy it and slug it right after weigh-ins. Actually sounds pretty f****** good lol
With respect to your buddy, because that shake sounds awesome, he clearly doesn’t know what’s optimal for hydration.

No fucking protein powder. Your muscles are not going to fall off from doing 7-9 singles to work up to a max bench. You can have a shake when you are done before your pizza, if you somehow don’t believe the 100+ grams in a whole commercial pizza will suffice.

No milk, no oats. Lactose, fiber, wtf man. Pie filling? I know we talked about a bit of fructose, but we’re talking 20, 30 grams max. Eat all the pie you want when it’s done bro. This is about fueling the lift.

You need a carb powder you digest for real. Karbolyn, Vitargo, dextrose, cyclic dextrin, etc. Add one or two carb powders to water, and add a cup of juice or eat a serving of fruit you enjoy (not dates or anything else very high potassium).

Some people do really well oat powder (blended oats) or corn starch (waxy maize). If you have an iron gut and want them, you can add a little, but they shouldn’t be the core of the drink. Or cream of rice as mentioned, but I never do this.

Add lots of salt. At LEAST 750mg, maybe up to double that if you feel flatter. You can use soy sauce packets from a Chinese restaurant if you prefer to shoot them and keep the salt out of the shake.

You want to drink enough fluid that hunger isn’t really a concern. If you need or want to add a little solid for satiety after, go with low-fat easily digestible bar like Rice Krispies.

Bring some honey or glucose tabs like I mentioned for when lifting begins.

No amount of fat, NONE, will be beneficial to your hydration and performance consumed that close. It will only slow gut motility & thus rehydration. Fat slows/stabilizes blood sugar release, but in this context of only 90 minutes we basically just want to turn blood glucose up and keep that bitch riding high until the last benchpress is done.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
With respect to your buddy, because that shake sounds awesome, he clearly doesn’t know what’s optimal for hydration.

No fucking protein powder. Your muscles are not going to fall off from doing 7-9 singles to work up to a max bench. You can have a shake when you are done before your pizza, if you somehow don’t believe the 100+ grams in a whole commercial pizza will suffice.

No milk, no oats. Lactose, fiber, wtf man. Pie filling? I know we talked about a bit of fructose, but we’re talking 20, 30 grams max. Eat all the pie you want when it’s done bro. This is about fueling the lift.

You need a carb powder you digest for real. Karbolyn, Vitargo, dextrose, cyclic dextrin, etc. Add one or two carb powders to water, and add a cup of juice or eat a serving of fruit you enjoy (not dates or anything else very high potassium).

Some people do really well oat powder (blended oats) or corn starch (waxy maize). If you have an iron gut and want them, you can add a little, but they shouldn’t be the core of the drink. Or cream of rice as mentioned, but I never do this.

Add lots of salt. At LEAST 750mg, maybe up to double that if you feel flatter. You can use soy sauce packets from a Chinese restaurant if you prefer to shoot them and keep the salt out of the shake.

You want to drink enough fluid that hunger isn’t really a concern. If you need or want to add a little solid for satiety after, go with low-fat easily digestible bar like Rice Krispies.

No amount of fat, NONE, will be beneficial to your hydration and performance consumed that close. It will only slow gut motility & thus rehydration. Fat slows/stabilizes blood sugar release, but in this context of only 90 minutes we basically just want to turn blood glucose up and keep that bitch riding high until the last benchpress is done.
Dr. Hyde, Professor of Iron.

Sounds like really good advice from a master of the art.

You're gonna crush this Smont.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

So I understand a lot of the things you're saying, I definitely see protein powder not being necessary or protein in general not being necessary, but I don't understand what all the talk about hydration is for because I'm not dehydrated I'm still drinking over a gallon of water a day I never cut fluids out I just reduced them from 2 gallons to one gallon but I'm very well hydrated. I'm also not jonesing to eat junk food I'm just ordering pizza for everyone for after the competition's over it's not the carb load. Also if you don't think the oats and pie filling has any benefit I don't need to eat it later it's not like I going to be jonesing to eat oats and pie filling LOL.

That shake is just what he uses for a massive carb refeed on his high carb days, he's not a powerlifter or a strong man though so he probably doesn't know any better and he's just assuming put a bunch of carbs in a blender zip them through so they're easily digestible. Honestly I didn't read your entire Post in detail cuz I'm driving at the moment and using talk to text but when I get home I will read it better I didn't see your exact recommendations but I'm sure they're in there somewhere so I'll get back to you on that later tonight.

I do have a supplement I picked up a few weeks ago that I've used a few times intra workout and I want you to take a look at what's on the label because I have a feeling that'll be something good to sip on throughout the event as all the carbohydrates in it are straight glucose and it also has some form of ATP and something else I can't remember off the top of my head when I get a second I'll take a picture of the label

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
By the way I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass I know that you know way better than this guy does I just didn't fully read everything so when I get a chance I will once I get off the road

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ok cool, so take in a bunch of carb powder and sodium, it's kinda like I would do for a normal intra workout I just won't add any eaa's, is there any benefit to adding creatine and caffeine? Also take a look at this label, I use this sometimes in your workout and I thought maybe adding two or three scoops of this might be good as well, crap I can't get a clear picture.

Each scoop contains 15 G of carbs from glucose has no fat contains sodium calcium and magnesium all in very very small amounts though and then at the bottom there's a 15 gram prop blend of glucose d ribose, adenosine 5 triphosphate disodium salt, caffeine from green tea 98 mg per scoop d pinitol which I actually have no clue what that is, and coenzyme q10.

So three scoops of that would give me 45 G of carbs from glucose syrup with some adenosine 5 triphosphate and 300 mg of caffeine.

Do you think that has its place or don't touch it right now. Got something I normally buy I just found it in a bargain bin for $6 a container so I grabbed a couple and I use it in a pinch when I can't get my pre/intra workout mix

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Not even gonna lie I got goosebumps reading this post. I haven't read something non gear related that is this interesting and well thought out. This makes me wanna go to the gym today and actually drop my reps to below 8 per set lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also is there anything I should avoid doing tonight, like food or liquid wise? my plan was just to eat some chicken and steak and steamed vegetables maybe a half a cup of rice big glass of water with some lemon juice and then cut off all food and liquids after that just to make sure I wake up a pound or two lighter.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wow, so I actually just did some reading on d pinitol and it's a impressive looking supplement, at least on paper. They probably included it because it's a glucose transporter and a glucose disposal agent "kinda" but outside of that it looks like a great general health supplement.

Claims: anti diabetic drug, insulin regulator, anti inflammatory, anti cancer, anti Alzheimer's, immune and hepato protective... Can't remember what else, need to read more

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The supplement you listed sounds like it would be fine at 3 scoops. You want more than 45g carbs obviously, but that’s a fine supplement to include in my opinion. No red flags and mainly perfect.

Nothing in particular you need to avoid tonight.

When I talk about hydration, it’s about being maximally capable. My wife didn’t have to cut either for her show today/tomorrow, but we still want her muscles full as hell once she’s weighed in so she can lift with peak leverage, force production, and safety.

Take your orals tomorrow by 10am if you will be lifting at 11. I would consider 9-9:30am if they won’t make you throw them up.

Good luck tomorrow man. Remember it doesn’t matter if you are nervous, how you feel, block out all the noise and any doubt and focus on doing exactly what you came to do - you have smashed 355 twice now, so 360 is there for the taking. Trust your training and give them hell!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The supplement you listed sounds like it would be fine at 3 scoops. You want more than 45g carbs obviously, but that’s a fine supplement to include in my opinion. No red flags and mainly perfect.

Nothing in particular you need to avoid tonight.

When I talk about hydration, it’s about being maximally capable. My wife didn’t have to cut either for her show today/tomorrow, but we still want her muscles full as hell once she’s weighed in so she can lift with peak leverage, force production, and safety.

Take your orals tomorrow by 10am if you will be lifting at 11. I would consider 9-9:30am if they won’t make you throw them up.

Good luck tomorrow man. Remember it doesn’t matter if you are nervous, how you feel, block out all the noise and any doubt and focus on doing exactly what you came to do - you have smashed 355 twice now, so 360 is there for the taking. Trust your training and give them hell!
Thanks dude

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure if you have any ephedrine…..might be worth adding if you have it……
You got this brother, go kill it !!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was really hoping to sleep in till like 7, but I'm so use to getting up at 4 everyday it just can't. So instead I'm just staring at the ceiling and starving lol. I just stepped on the scale to check and I'm 197.5 in my tshirts and shorts so at least that's not a worry. If I strip I'm probably 196.5-196.8

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Plan for carbs is to mix up 2 scoops of that stuff with, 1/4 tsp salt and some pineapple juice and slug it =780sodium (55g carbs), eat a bag of gold bears (100g carbs) this would be immediately post weigh in. Then il have another scoop of the stuff mixed with water (15g carbs) and Il have a seccond bag of bears to eat along the way. So il have 800+ sodium, between 200-265 carbs total and it will be a very small volume of actual food.

Maybe il bring some apple slices and pineapple chunks or something too

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I probably sound like a nut job but I'm extremely anxious. I wanna eat like 500mg of orals and head to the gym now 😂. Still got about 2-2.5 hours ago. I just can't tell if I'm anxious to do the competition and get my lift or if I'm anxious to get it over with so I can go eat something I like lol.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey bri it's 430 here on the west coast just making breakfast before gym at 7. Just wanted to say good luck..you got this we ate all there in spirit with you. Have fun and crush some good food after!!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck man. I’ve never competed, but any time I have a major event or speech planned I’m anxious as hell and I can’t sleep. I always crush it, so I’m sure you’ll do the same.

Hyde makes a great point. When it’s your moment, forget the noise and interference. It’s you, the bar, and your training to execute your leverage and what you’ve practiced. Everything else is incidental. I’m excited for you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ok, so I showed up early just for the heck of it and as soon as I walk through the door they asked me if I wanted to weigh in so I got to weigh in right away. 197.7 in my shorts.

I think it's a little too early to slam all that caffeine in that drink that I have so I poured off some of it and diluted it with some water and I'm drinking that and I ate all bag of gummy bears which is about 90 G of carbs and three slices of white bread that's another 40 G of carbs and I'm sipping on this water down version of my drink. I'll keep eating little by little as I go and then I'm thinking about 30 minutes before the competition starts I'll slam the drink that has all the caffeine and stuff in it

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I went 315, 335, 360. I feel like I pressed 360 too quickly but they said it was good so I'm happy. My buddy's got the video on his iPhone and I have an Android so the image is going to be crappy so I got to find a way to get it uploaded somehow somewhere where I can show it. Now I'm just waiting for them to announce the winners of each weight class. Being 24 competitors total but I don't know how many were each week last because they didn't announce the weight classes you just went up when your attempt was on the bar

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnfoAjax Workout Logs 10
delsolrob Workout Logs 24
CaribouMT Workout Logs 5
-MVP- Workout Logs 1
Anthony_ Workout Logs 349