MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree with that, and actually when I do my warmups with an empty bar I'm often pulling the bar down into myself to create that tightness. You're right, there is a happy medium where the bar is heavy enough to create some good practice, but not so heavy to as risk injury. 175 was just enough yesterday for dad to call it good because I could tell he didn't know how to handle/manage the weight even though it was not anywhere near too heavy for his legs. He finished out with 6-8 plates on the leg press for sets of 10+ lol.

Actually, if I did 8, he'd do 10. if I did 10, he'd do 12 reps lol. He loves to display his strength on leg press
Got to love it when there is a little competitive nature there. Makes things a little more fun. Now you know to get the last upper hand you have to have him start so you go last every time. LOL

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up (waiting for bench)
DB curls
Laterals
DB bench

Bench
10 x 95
5 x 140, 180
1 x 210, 235, 260, 280, 295
10 x 235 (reps PR I'm sure)
12 x 205
20 x 135 - wide grip

CGBP
5 x 155, 175, 185

Lying ez bar skullies
3 x 10-12 x 60lbs

Dips
BW x 13, 10, 10
(I need to remember my belt for weighed dips)

Notes
So I kinda got into my own way here today, again playing with my progression, then gym math got confusing on the fly, lol. I should have left well enough alone and stuck to my normal progression

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So today instead of our normal bench session I was able to talk my boy into learning squats.

So I never went heavy, which maybe the body needed anyways. But it was super rewarding to see him squat.

I think he could squat 365 this year if we wanted to, zero joke.

Squats
5 x 135, 185, 225

Front squats
5 x 65, 95, 135,

Leg press
5 x 10
Damn boy! I think we want him to

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Warm up (waiting for bench)
DB curls
Laterals
DB bench

Bench
10 x 95
5 x 140, 180
1 x 210, 235, 260, 280, 295
10 x 235 (reps PR I'm sure)
12 x 205
20 x 135 - wide grip

CGBP
5 x 155, 175, 185

Lying ez bar skullies
3 x 10-12 x 60lbs

Dips
BW x 13, 10, 10
(I need to remember my belt for weighed dips)

Notes
So I kinda got into my own way here today, again playing with my progression, then gym math got confusing on the fly, lol. I should have left well enough alone and stuck to my normal progression
Hell yeah good volume and some good weights!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man sometimes when you're on a different supplement it builds up so slow and you're not 100% sure it's doing anything till suddenly you see those PRs start hitting. But coming off the 9 weeks of epi I'm definitely feeling it this week. Just a little less eye of the tiger and machismo.

work/home schedule has been pretty busy. I was lucky enough to get 2 rounds of golf in though. Walked 4hrs for 4 miles last night, and today will be walking about the same so the added cardio is good. a few rest days is making me crave the barbell though.

Weight was 198 today which seems pretty stable/accurate.
My snoring has returned a bit as it seems to around 200lbs, and sleep quality is down a bit so I am thinking getting back down to sub 190 would be a smart move.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@Dustin07 are you still cutting? How are you doing it these days? I recall you saying when your carbs or kcal are too low, your wife calls you out for being cranky or irritable.

Now that I’m back to lowering kcal a little (just a little under maintenance), I’ve noticed that 50g carbs for breakfast isn’t enough to keep me in a good mood. I’m irritable just a couple hours. How many carbs do you need and at what interval to maintain mental health while still cutting?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@Dustin07 are you still cutting? How are you doing it these days? I recall you saying when your carbs or kcal are too low, your wife calls you out for being cranky or irritable.

Now that I’m back to lowering kcal a little (just a little under maintenance), I’ve noticed that 50g carbs for breakfast isn’t enough to keep me in a good mood. I’m irritable just a couple hours. How many carbs do you need and at what interval to maintain mental health while still cutting?
What you eat and in conjunction with what else concurrently is going to impact blood sugar levels and satiety a lot. 50g carbs from rolled oats is radically different than jasmine rice, for example.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What you eat and in conjunction with what else concurrently is going to impact blood sugar levels and satiety a lot. 50g carbs from rolled oats is radically different than jasmine rice, for example.
Right, but I’m not hungry at all. My breakfast today was 1 cup oats, 3 eggs, 1oz beef jerky, a scoop of casein and half scoop of cluster dextrin. FWIW, the same breakfast with 5 oz grilled chicken thighs instead of the casein will do the same thing…irritable in a couple hours and not hungry at all.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right, but I’m not hungry at all. My breakfast today was 1 cup oats, 3 eggs, 1oz beef jerky, a scoop of casein and half scoop of cluster dextrin. FWIW, the same breakfast with 5 oz grilled chicken thighs instead of the casein will do the same thing…irritable in a couple hours and not hungry at all.
If you’re not hungry and you believe your blood sugar is still stable & sufficient hours later, ie it’s not “hanger”, then adding more food is probably not the likely solution.

It’s probably a ‘you’ thing. A couple hours into the day is usually when I often get bored of work, or start feeling mentally fatigued, or whatever.

But you can always take your blood sugar to find out & help you tweak your diet if it’s a continual problem. You can get a glucose meter, test strips & lancets for $30 at any pharmacy section in a store on the shelves.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Man sometimes when you're on a different supplement it builds up so slow and you're not 100% sure it's doing anything till suddenly you see those PRs start hitting. But coming off the 9 weeks of epi I'm definitely feeling it this week. Just a little less eye of the tiger and machismo.

work/home schedule has been pretty busy. I was lucky enough to get 2 rounds of golf in though. Walked 4hrs for 4 miles last night, and today will be walking about the same so the added cardio is good. a few rest days is making me crave the barbell though.

Weight was 198 today which seems pretty stable/accurate.
My snoring has returned a bit as it seems to around 200lbs, and sleep quality is down a bit so I am thinking getting back down to sub 190 would be a smart move.
I haven't really been on any kind of cut since about Feb 9th. From Dec 31 to then I dropped from a peak weight of 207 to a dehydrated bottom of like 186.X for vacation.

Now, I haven't been eating on an intentional "bulk" but I did eat to support my training from April 1 until basically last week while on my epi run and weight climbed back up to a peak of about 203, but avg was probably 198/199

I honestly didn't care at all while I was on the epi, I was setting and tying PRs again, and felt great. Being off it though I can feel the difference drastically, lol. Plus there's just real life work stress and running yourself ragged so right now I keep in my mind that I'd like to see sub 190 and see what effect it has on general well being (sleep)

Edit: @GreenMachineX I quoted the wrong post here using Tapatalk lol, this was in response to your question....

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I used to feel like I was one of those who got severe brain fog and some irritability when going low carb but since I started embracing longer fasts occasionally it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Although when I fast 30+, hrs I feel like I do sleep better and am ready for bed a bit earlier. It's kinda nice in some ways, hardest part is distracting myself from food at night lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I used to feel like I was one of those who got severe brain fog and some irritability when going low carb but since I started embracing longer fasts occasionally it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Although when I fast 30+, hrs I feel like I do sleep better and am ready for bed a bit earlier. It's kinda nice in some ways, hardest part is distracting myself from food at night lol
But how low is the limit before you feel those effects?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is going to vary drastically between individuals based on metabolism, temperament, metabolic flexibility, and activity levels throughout the day. The reality is your body will adjust to a deficit or large change in macros but it will take time and that time depends on multiple factors as mentioned above. As Dustin mentioned someone who fasts often, or has longer periods of their days with no carbs for a period develops a more flexible metabolism in regard to the macros is prefers or is able to use easily at any point in the day. It basically develops over the body having to switch fuel sources regularly so the machinery in play for each nutrient is closer to being ready for a shift in nutrient use. Fasting, and things like Carb Backloading situations help to bring this type of metabolic flexibility.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That is going to vary drastically between individuals based on metabolism, temperament, metabolic flexibility, and activity levels throughout the day. The reality is your body will adjust to a deficit or large change in macros but it will take time and that time depends on multiple factors as mentioned above. As Dustin mentioned someone who fasts often, or has longer periods of their days with no carbs for a period develops a more flexible metabolism in regard to the macros is prefers or is able to use easily at any point in the day. It basically develops over the body having to switch fuel sources regularly so the machinery in play for each nutrient is closer to being ready for a shift in nutrient use. Fasting, and things like Carb Backloading situations help to bring this type of metabolic flexibility.
Gotcha. I am just curious to know what his lower limit before he feels cranky was.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gotcha. I am just curious to know what his lower limit before he feels cranky was.
I can't speak for him but I was doing just fine until below 200g of carbs, but my fat is very low and obviously less calories than either of you are eating. However I was fully carb adapted and preferential so still in a similar situation. If fat adapted at a more normal bodyfat for me in the past which is closer to your condition I would say anything over 100g is easy street for me, but the 200 is still when things get a little sucky for me if not fat adapted or avoiding carbs in the AM and loading around my training.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like that, that’s a good way to explain it, metabolic flexibility.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I can't speak for him but I was doing just fine until below 200g of carbs, but my fat is very low and obviously less calories than either of you are eating. However I was fully carb adapted and preferential so still in a similar situation. If fat adapted at a more normal bodyfat for me in the past which is closer to your condition I would say anything over 100g is easy street for me, but the 200 is still when things get a little sucky for me if not fat adapted or avoiding carbs in the AM and loading around my training.
I'd say mine was very similar to this. In the past when trying to intensify my cut (keep in mind this was with me spending summer time weight around 176lbs whereas right now I'm sitting at like 200lbs) I would essentially remove carbs from lunch, very few if any at dinner. my only carb sources were typically breakfast and then from fruits later in the day preWO.

I don't typically feel a negative effect anymore from being low carb, although that said, in addition to the fasting I have played with over the past 18 or so months, my training is usually structured very differently than it was in the past too. with fasting or low carb days being on rest days, which are more frequent, vs the old days where I was aiming to be "training" in some capacity 5-7 days a week. Rest days were actually low carb cardio days... effective, but hard on my energy levels.

yesterday I was telling my golf buddy that at one point I felt like staying fed through a game of golf kept my game stronger. But then I tried it fasting and felt that kept my mind sharper for the full 18 holes. Now I'm not convinced either had a big effect, but actually that conditioning has had the biggest effect. We have walked a lot more golf lately and 4+ hours of rucking your clubs around leaves my legs, feet, and back sore. it's a heck of a LISS workout.

But sunday we used carts and by the end of the 18 I was still feeling fully energized and ready for another 18. I think it's cause walking golf had a bigger impact on my conditioning and endurance for the sport than eating or not eating did tbh.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No doubt you had more energy after not walking the 18 holes. That is a good bit of walking and then the fact you are walking on grass most of the day adds more resistance and stability requirements than normal walking would. I bet your conditioning is definitely improving adding in a 4 our walk in grass. That's no joke. The good news about golf is it is still a low impact activity unless you are the ball. So you should be burning mostly fat during your walking around, and less glycogen. I would imagine energy levels and how focused you are has to do with nutrient availability, conditioning, and your level of fatigue when you started playing in the first place.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hat is a good bit of walking and then the fact you are walking on grass most of the day adds more resistance and stability requirements than normal walking would.
Lot of truth to that! I am often surprised to find myself sore in the adductors and ankles after walking more golf.

The good news about golf is it is still a low impact activity unless you are the ball. So you should be burning mostly fat during your walking around, and less glycogen. I would imagine energy levels and how focused you are has to do with nutrient availability, conditioning, and your level of fatigue when you started playing in the first place.
The low impact part is my favorite aspect in terms of cardio/conditioning/LISS. Odds of leaving with an injury are pretty low. Now the downside to golf, is that it's just getting stupid expensive. I used to be able to show up to my local course any time I wanted, pay like $12 and walk 18 holes. Now days even that old run down course is like $40+ to walk and you often have to book it online in advance. Chambers bay is now approaching summer rates so a round of golf even for a local resident like me runs from $175 - $245. $350 if you book it more than 2 weeks out! (and they do not allow carts, so you are walking 7 miles on that course).

Its a great course, but you aren't going to catch me spending $200 to play.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lot of truth to that! I am often surprised to find myself sore in the adductors and ankles after walking more golf.

The low impact part is my favorite aspect in terms of cardio/conditioning/LISS. Odds of leaving with an injury are pretty low. Now the downside to golf, is that it's just getting stupid expensive. I used to be able to show up to my local course any time I wanted, pay like $12 and walk 18 holes. Now days even that old run down course is like $40+ to walk and you often have to book it online in advance. Chambers bay is now approaching summer rates so a round of golf even for a local resident like me runs from $175 - $245. $350 if you book it more than 2 weeks out! (and they do not allow carts, so you are walking 7 miles on that course).

Its a great course, but you aren't going to catch me spending $200 to play.
If you want to go for a long walk with another man, just ask him and save the money…

😂

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench day with my little brother

20 x bar
15 x 95
5 x 135, 185
1 x 205, 225, 245, 265, 280, 290

Slingshot
3 x 300
2 x 315

Raw
10 x 225

Tri rope extensions
3 sets to failure

Kettlebell armbars
2 sets

Took my brother to the gym today for his first time in a few years so it was rushed and a bit hectic swapping out weights, teach form, handoffs, etc but we got some work done. Pretty sure I had 300 in me raw but was happy to have a building day rather than missing a day. Good sesh for a short rushed one.

the important thing, raw or not, was that my little brother saw me handle 3 plates. I was not going to end this day without that happening 😅🤘

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bench day with my little brother

20 x bar
15 x 95
5 x 135, 185
1 x 205, 225, 245, 265, 280, 290

Slingshot
3 x 300
2 x 315

Raw
10 x 225

Tri rope extensions
3 sets to failure

Kettlebell armbars
2 sets

Took my brother to the gym today for his first time in a few years so it was rushed and a bit hectic swapping out weights, teach form, handoffs, etc but we got some work done. Pretty sure I had 300 in me raw but was happy to have a building day rather than missing a day. Good sesh for a short rushed one.

the important thing, raw or not, was that my little brother saw me handle 3 plates. I was not going to end this day without that happening 😅🤘
Sounds like a great time and of course had to show lil bro who the top dog is 💪🏻

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a great time and of course had to show lil bro who the top dog is 💪🏻
amen. he served for 12 or 13 months in Iraq back in the day and runs a farm now, so every once in a while it's nice to take the family podium. Our other little brother is a genetic freak. I'll never forget when I showed him how to squat for the first time in his life in a January and by March he was squatting 365 with great form. Luckily I have him on bench, but he will always be a monster squatter. Both of my brothers are much larger than me. I was 5'10, then my next brother is like 6' or 6'1", and our littlest brother is somewhere around 6'2" or 3", yet they both seem to stack mass as easily as I can.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Deads
10 x 135
5 x 185, 225, 275
1 x 315, 365, 385
3 x 405
10 x 315

RDL
2 x 10+ x 135

Hammer strength lat pull downs
3 x 10

Con junto supre
Ez bar curls
3 x 12 x 70

Seated incline DB curls
2 sets

Deadlift session with my brother again, this time my normal lifting buddy joined us so it was a lot of plate swapping lol

Was very rushed but felt like an accomplished lunch session with the boys.