The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
can i play along :)

my CCW:
P3120006.JPG
kimber series 1 1911

old skool CCW:
P2260001.JPG
German Luger 1920 in .30 Luger

any of you guys do the 2 gun or 3 gun comps?

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
^^^drools :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Why hello there gentlemen.

I am relatively new.... but picked up a Springfield XD 9mm subcompact for CC.

Love this thing.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established

Love this thing.
great guns, what holster are going going to CCW with? if you ahvent picked one out look at CrossBreed holsters, ive got one for my FS 1911 and the wifes Glock30, the gun just disapers when i carry eather one

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Love this thing.
Well there's a name from the past! Howdy howdy!

can i play along :)

my CCW:
View attachment 64659
kimber series 1 1911

old skool CCW:
View attachment 64660
German Luger 1920 in .30 Luger

any of you guys do the 2 gun or 3 gun comps?

Nice li'l collection there! Definitely diggin' the Kimber.

Update on my shottie:

Since business with Z-Cord has been booming lately, and there's a nice li'l sale going on at a local sporting goods store, I am FINALLY putting a sight on that Mossberg. It won't be a reflex like I had planned, but I think this will work out just as good if not better. TruGlo dual color red dot for $39.99. I'm heading down there tomorrow to get it. And sadly, I STILL have not shot that bastard!!! I think come hell or high water, I'm going to shoot it this weekend. I may have to strap it on and ride the bike somewhere, but I'll do it, dang it!!!

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Oh great... roid heads with firearms..

Seriously how have i missed this thread. I <3 my weapons and my gun. Theyre all for fun!

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
skeet / trap shooting seems like it will actually happen this fall finally..

Next need a pistol so I can go target shooting with my inlaws. :)

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
skeet / trap shooting seems like it will actually happen this fall finally..

Next need a pistol so I can go inlaw shooting with my targets. :)
Dude.. they cant be that bad. Skeets fun as hell. I should have my entire fall off so im sure ill end up busting some clays

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
nah quite the opposite actually. :) They are my best bet at getting my wife to say ok to the idea of a gun in the house ironically :)

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Skeet should be a good deal over all, i its $10 for 25 rounds (gun rental included in the price), $6 for 25 targets and tip the machine guy. Fun way to spend the afternoon i think

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
nah quite the opposite actually. :) They are my best bet at getting my wife to say ok to the idea of a gun in the house ironically :)
Keep 'em! Lol. That doesn't seem bad to rent a shotgun and shoot clays. I think i pay around 7$ a round for skeet and i dont rent

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
honestly if i was going to go out and buy 25 target 12 gauge rounds (assuming i even could in this state with no firearms ID card) it would cost more than 10 bucks.. :)

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
honestly if i was going to go out and buy 25 target 12 gauge rounds (assuming i even could in this state with no firearms ID card) it would cost more than 10 bucks.. :)
Jersey? I think it was 20-25 a pretty case (100) in ny. However i could be way off since i confuse numbers and memories since im constantly moving

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
reposting the same question for the new crowd. :)

Assuming i do go for it - given my budget it will either be a Springfield XM .45 or a Baretta 92FS 9mm

In terms of reliabilty they both seem to be pretty much the same. Mag capacity is close enough give or take 1 round i think?

9mm would be cheaper ammo wise but for HD cheap doesnt really factor in. and I personaly like the Grip and trigger safety.

So the question is for HD would 9mm be good enough? I know the big thing would be which fits better in the hand and which you would be more comfortable shooting. I know it would not be the same comparison to using Birdshot vs 00 buck for HD, but I am still on the fence.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established

Assuming i do go for it - given my budget it will either be a Springfield XM .45 or a Baretta 92FS 9mm

In terms of reliabilty they both seem to be pretty much the same. Mag capacity is close enough give or take 1 round i think?

9mm would be cheaper ammo wise but for HD cheap doesnt really factor in. and I personaly like the Grip and trigger safety.

So the question is for HD would 9mm be good enough? I know the big thing would be which fits better in the hand and which you would be more comfortable shooting. I know it would not be the same comparison to using Birdshot vs 00 buck for HD, but I am still on the fence.
You may want to take a look at the SIG P250. (I use one for my bed room gun (Page 14)) They make the firearm so it is modular as in you can move the whole trigger control system into a different body and have your choice of a Fullsize, midsize, or compact size. And never sign for a new gun. Plus you can use the same trigger system for any size ammo. ei. 9mm, .357sig, .40, .45.

(This Firearm is only shoot in DA, may be wierd the first time shot.)

Because the only thing that has the serial number is the trigger control system. Not the frame of the firearm.

P250-2SUM-detail-firecont.jpg

This is a kit they sell with both the Full size and compact size. (Only one trigger control system)

P250-2SUM-detail-Hero.jpg

Here is the P250 Caliber X-Change Kits from SIG:
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/high-capacity-p250-caliber-x-change-kit-334.aspx

Some more SIG P250 Picture Pron

P250-FS-N-detail-hero.jpg
P250-FS-N-detail-bty.jpg
P250C-DP-detail-HERO.jpg
250C-TB-Detail-Hero.jpg

Company listing:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p250-2sum.aspx

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
damn you, more choices now! :)

What is the price point for a full size? is it in the same ballpark?

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
and unless i move out of state i doubt i would ever get a CCL so it would be for HD or target shooting max.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
damn not bad at all thats a really good price to be sure!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Nice li'l collection there! Definitely diggin' the Kimber.

Update on my shottie:

Since business with Z-Cord has been booming lately, and there's a nice li'l sale going on at a local sporting goods store, I am FINALLY putting a sight on that Mossberg. It won't be a reflex like I had planned, but I think this will work out just as good if not better. TruGlo dual color red dot for $39.99. I'm heading down there tomorrow to get it. And sadly, I STILL have not shot that bastard!!! I think come hell or high water, I'm going to shoot it this weekend. I may have to strap it on and ride the bike somewhere, but I'll do it, dang it!!!

thanks, but b4 you buy that trueglow checkout primaryarms.com and look at thier sights.....i had an aimpoint micro clone on my AK for about 6 months and its handled a class with about 1500rnds and another 3000rnds after that, it was about $70ish delivered

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established

to be honest if you can control a fast hammer hit (3rnds fired fast) and keep a great grouping with 9mm or .45acp it will be a toss up, cause placement of the shot is king.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
to be honest if you can control a fast hammer hit (3rnds fired fast) and keep a great grouping with 9mm or .45acp it will be a toss up, cause placement of the shot is king.
I figured this much, Will try to shoot both first and see which one I like more, or am more accurate with. Aim small miss small.. yes its from the Patriot but it is still valid. :)

Other other plus to the SA is the rail to mount a light. Not sure how they mount to a Baretta (to the trigger guard??)

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I figured this much, Will try to shoot both first and see which one I like more, or am more accurate with. Aim small miss small.. yes its from the Patriot but it is still valid. :)

Other other plus to the SA is the rail to mount a light. Not sure how they mount to a Baretta (to the trigger guard??)
They make a Beretta with a rail. M-9A1

M9A1.jpg

Also a .40 cal version.
http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-96a1/

Main site:
http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-department/firearms/handguns/full-size/

I believe there is a company out there that makes a adapter for the regular non rail M9.
Found it:
http://www.survivalconsultants.com/tacrail.htm

also:
http://ustacticalsupply.com/surefiremr11.aspx

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established

some newish 92's come with a rail now milled to the frame.....but if it was me i would rock a SA XD 9mm anyday

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
need to make a trip to ShoreShot and try out some of them. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Check out the Beretta PX4 Storm series as well. I have one in .40 cal and really like it. It's a bit more ergonomic and updated from the 92 series; not to mention, not that expensive either. I've never been a fan of Springfield handguns for some reason (always felt weird in my hand), but I love my M1A. Regardless though, they are good guns.

Most modern 9mm defense loads should be nearly as sufficient as .40 or .45 in stopping power based on different ballistic studies and real life shooting scenario statistics that I've read. I carry a Glock 26 Gen 4 with either 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense or 124 gr +p Gold Dot in it. I absolutely trust my life with that gun and either ammo load. Now for HD, I would still recommend something in .45 ACP. I have a Glock 21 in my bed stand with 230 gr Winchester PDX1 ammo in it. That's the same type of ammo the FBI uses currently.

Honestly though, you just need to go rent and shoot a few different guns at the range and see what you like. I think a good 9mm defense load is more than enough for HD. It's definitely a lot cheaper to shoot/practice with 9mm. It just comes down to preference in the end. Both calibers are more than capable of providing good HD.

Now...If I make it to my gun safe, then I'm pulling out the Remmy 870. There's nothing more welcoming than a 1 oz. slug. :D

Actually, I keep full power 00 Buck loaded in it, but I always have a few on my side saddle as an option!

-T1

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
at some point my father inlaw will hand me down his remmy and ithaca. the remy will be getting a 18.5 barrell the same day :) get some federal FC 00 and i am GOG :)

I was leaning pistol for the ablity to use it one handed in any situation. but hell if one is free might as well get the pistol too :)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out the Beretta PX4 Storm series as well. I have one in .40 cal and really like it. It's a bit more ergonomic and updated from the 92 series; not to mention, not that expensive either. I've never been a fan of Springfield handguns for some reason (always felt weird in my hand), but I love my M1A. Regardless though, they are good guns.

Most modern 9mm defense loads should be nearly as sufficient as .40 or .45 in stopping power based on different ballistic studies and real life shooting scenario statistics that I've read. I carry a Glock 26 Gen 4 with either 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense or 124 gr +p Gold Dot in it. I absolutely trust my life with that gun and either ammo load. Now for HD, I would still recommend something in .45 ACP. I have a Glock 21 in my bed stand with 230 gr Winchester PDX1 ammo in it. That's the same type of ammo the FBI uses currently.

Honestly though, you just need to go rent and shoot a few different guns at the range and see what you like. I think a good 9mm defense load is more than enough for HD. It's definitely a lot cheaper to shoot/practice with 9mm. It just comes down to preference in the end. Both calibers are more than capable of providing good HD.

Now...If I make it to my gun safe, then I'm pulling out the Remmy 870. There's nothing more welcoming than a 1 oz. slug. :D

Actually, I keep full power 00 Buck loaded in it, but I always have a few on my side saddle as an option!

-T1
I keep Federal Hydroshocks in my 9mm. First round, though, is birdshot. I don't mind giving a warning that stings a little before letting loose. :)

Went and did a little window and real shopping today, John! Stopped in at Gander Mountain (I had to pee) and took a look at a few of those SA's that you aren't fond of. Welp, after handling them, a Sig, and a Colt 1911, and a Ruger (all 45's), I can honestly say that the Springfield XDM is my favorite. It fit my hand very well. They actually didn't have the 45 so i held the 40, but still, it was great. It felt better than any other to me. The weight was just... right! Although the classic 1911 design is nice, I like something more modern. Plus, 8 shots compared to 13... I'm always going to go for more!

I also picked up that TruGlo that I told you about on FB and mentioned in here. Their price was $69.99, on sale for $39.99. I haven't gotten home yet to mount it, but just from tinkering around with it, I definitely think it'll do the job. As long as it holds up and works, I think it'll definitely work out for me. The only disadvantage to it over the open reflex sights I looked at is the weight. My shottie is already decently heavy, and this adds more to it. Ah well... I'm a big boy, right? HA!!

Now... TO GET OUT AND SHOOT THE !@#)!*#)$(* THING!!!!! Maybe this weekend... fingers crossed! I'm going to be INSANELY busy with paracord. Setting up at a city police fundraiser to sell thin blue line bracelets on Saturday night. From all the talk from different departments that I've heard so far, if they buy 3/4 of what they tell me they're interested in, that XDM 45 is going to be in my hands very very soon. Yup... $5 bracelets = $700 gun package. Hopefully I'll have some hand strength and dexterity left after all that weaving to actually shoot that thing, too!!!

:cheers:

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:wave2:

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
where do you find all of these smilies? :) n/m there is a next button.. shows you how often i use them
Remember the words usually; on iPhone 97% of the time.

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
alright. I havent bought a new firearm in a minute. The urge is coming on strong. its going to happen sooner than later. Looking at Kimber and Springfield right now. Either the Kimber pro raptor or springfield xdm. both in the 4 inch models.

I've owned Kimber before, theyre spectacular firearms. I know virtually nothing of the springfield xdm line. for being a gun nut i've really let my self down, but i've never even considered something not in a 1911 or revolver. i do plan to carry. Anyone got anything good to say about the springfields?

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Random question: Any of you guys have an ammo stockpile? If so, how much you keepin?

I think I have about 1000 rounds of 9mm. lol

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
alright. I havent bought a new firearm in a minute. The urge is coming on strong. its going to happen sooner than later. Looking at Kimber and Springfield right now. Either the Kimber pro raptor or springfield xdm. both in the 4 inch models.

I've owned Kimber before, theyre spectacular firearms. I know virtually nothing of the springfield xdm line. for being a gun nut i've really let my self down, but i've never even considered something not in a 1911 or revolver. i do plan to carry. Anyone got anything good to say about the springfields?
never fired one but everything i have read about the SA XDM's makes me want to get one. T-AD will probably own one soon enough and let us all know :)

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Random question: Any of you guys have an ammo stockpile? If so, how much you keepin?

what is the shelf life for ammo stored properly? at least 30+ right?

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
good question. id imagine with some desicant bags or vacuum sealing it could last that if not more.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
never fired one but everything i have read about the SA XDM's makes me want to get one. T-AD will probably own one soon enough and let us all know :)
Long post here, but worth it... Did a cop fundraiser last night to make thin blue line paracord bracelets. In 3 hours, walked out with over $160. 25% went to my girl for helping, $30 to the wife today for gas, and the rest is split between profit, lunch, and restocking cord. But the REALLY good part was the leads. One guy will be wanting a sling for his AK. $50+ in my pocket. A good buddy of mine - K9 and SERT - talked to me about MANY projects. The entire SWAT team will be wanting $10 bracelets, and there's 50 of them. $500, boom. A few of them also want something special - single point sling with bungee. Must have the bungee. He's going to GIVE me one of theirs for me to model after and to keep. (He's also going to give me a Streamlight for the shottie and an expandable baton, since I can't legally have one in PA as a citizen!!!) The single points will NOT be easy, but I know I can do it. And they are willing to pay... BIG time. From what's in my head right now, we're looking at about $100 each, as high quality as I can possibly muster. Atleast 3 of them want one. And SWAT guys love their toys, so... yeah... I'm hoping to put an XDM 45 in my collection in a month or two!!

good question. id imagine with some desicant bags or vacuum sealing it could last that if not more.
If properly sealed and stored, I don't see why it won't last a VERY long time. Look at Nagant ammo. You can get stuff that's what, like 100 years old that's sealed in a "tuna can"? I have a simple plastic ammo box right now, and plan on picking up a few more. Double lock hinge and watertight O-ring in the lid. Why not, right???

Ok, reason I'm here. I FINALLY shot the BOOMSTICK!!!! Wife and kiddo left this morning to see inlaws over night. They took the van. So, I hopped on the bike, with the shottie strapped behind me, and took off towards my office. I printed out some targets and used the company Escape to go about 100yds up behind to the county-owned fields. Set up some targets, and started to play. The verdict?

wow. Just wow. It's a 12ga, and I expected it to hit like a mule. I wore a tank top today. The recoil with 2 3/4" target loads was like twice that of a .22 rifle and that's it. Incredible!!! Almost no loss of target whatsoever in my amateur hands. No muzzle rise, just straight back and stayed on target. The TruGlo red dot performed well, too. No breakage, as I read had happened to a few people. I dialed it in a bit, just good enough for my needs but probably not good enough if I want to hunt with it beyond 30yds, and it stayed put. I ran a box of 25 shells through it and it was flawless. Because they're rather expensive, I only ran 2 higher loads through - 2 3/4 hi brass military buckshot rounds. (Olin, made by winchester) The recoil on those was more, but still incredibly manageable! I'd have NO fear of letting my wife shoot this, and I could shoot it all day long!!

I'm impressed, and I'm extremely happy with what I've built. To me, the ergos are great. The weight is heavy, but it's all up front and keeps the muzzle down. The recoil absorbing ATI Talon stock was just amazing. I can not believe I own this thing!!!!!!!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, and also, this:

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established

7.62x39 - 6.5-7k, i shoot alot and i was pissed last time the ammo shortage hit, so i buy 500 rnds every month
12ga - 200 rnds of 00 buck and slug, and i dont really stock birdshot since its all over the place
.45acp - 1k on hand and i can reload about 6k worth if i need to.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
depends on the make of the ammo, ive got some Yugo 7.62x39 that as manuf. in 67' and it stiff fires. put factory ammo in US Mil. ammo cans with drypacks it could out last your grandkids would be my guess

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I've owned Kimber myself and agree they are very good firearms; but also horribly overpriced imho, which is why many denounce Kimber in general. I traded in my Kimber Pro Covert 2 last month. I do miss the thing, but there are plenty of 1911's that are half the price and shoot just as good.

I love the 1911 platform myself; there is nothing else like it in a handgun. However, I've fallen in love with Glock over the years. The accuracy and reliability is just hard to beat for the price.

Are you looking for just a shooter, or more something along the lines of a carry gun/HD?

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I have quite a stockpile going, haha! You never know when the prices are going to go nuts or limited availability.

I would venture to say somewhere around 7-8000 rounds assorted. Granted, this took years to accumulate. When the shtf, I'm ready. :D

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have 8mm Mauser ammo that was made in 1942. It still fires without a hitch. Most of my 7.62x54R for my Mosin Nagants' was made anywhere from the 1950's-1970's. It's as accurate and reliable as some of the modern stuff I've fired out of them.

Most military surplus ammo (and current loads) have sealed primers; which greatly enhances the shelf life. The bottom line: as long as you keep the ammo dry, it'll last longer than you will.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7.62x39 - 6.5-7k, i shoot alot and i was pissed last time the ammo shortage hit, so i buy 500 rnds every month
12ga - 200 rnds of 00 buck and slug, and i dont really stock birdshot since its all over the place
.45acp - 1k on hand and i can reload about 6k worth if i need to.
The beauty of 7.62x39 is how economical it is. You can't beat 500 rounds for $100. I need to stock up a bit more before this election. The ammo prices at wally world here have already started to climb...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Long post here, but worth it... Did a cop fundraiser last night to make thin blue line paracord bracelets. In 3 hours, walked out with over $160. 25% went to my girl for helping, $30 to the wife today for gas, and the rest is split between profit, lunch, and restocking cord. But the REALLY good part was the leads. One guy will be wanting a sling for his AK. $50+ in my pocket. A good buddy of mine - K9 and SERT - talked to me about MANY projects. The entire SWAT team will be wanting $10 bracelets, and there's 50 of them. $500, boom. A few of them also want something special - single point sling with bungee. Must have the bungee. He's going to GIVE me one of theirs for me to model after and to keep. (He's also going to give me a Streamlight for the shottie and an expandable baton, since I can't legally have one in PA as a citizen!!!) The single points will NOT be easy, but I know I can do it. And they are willing to pay... BIG time. From what's in my head right now, we're looking at about $100 each, as high quality as I can possibly muster. Atleast 3 of them want one. And SWAT guys love their toys, so... yeah... I'm hoping to put an XDM 45 in my collection in a month or two!!

If properly sealed and stored, I don't see why it won't last a VERY long time. Look at Nagant ammo. You can get stuff that's what, like 100 years old that's sealed in a "tuna can"? I have a simple plastic ammo box right now, and plan on picking up a few more. Double lock hinge and watertight O-ring in the lid. Why not, right???

Ok, reason I'm here. I FINALLY shot the BOOMSTICK!!!! Wife and kiddo left this morning to see inlaws over night. They took the van. So, I hopped on the bike, with the shottie strapped behind me, and took off towards my office. I printed out some targets and used the company Escape to go about 100yds up behind to the county-owned fields. Set up some targets, and started to play. The verdict?

wow. Just wow. It's a 12ga, and I expected it to hit like a mule. I wore a tank top today. The recoil with 2 3/4" target loads was like twice that of a .22 rifle and that's it. Incredible!!! Almost no loss of target whatsoever in my amateur hands. No muzzle rise, just straight back and stayed on target. The TruGlo red dot performed well, too. No breakage, as I read had happened to a few people. I dialed it in a bit, just good enough for my needs but probably not good enough if I want to hunt with it beyond 30yds, and it stayed put. I ran a box of 25 shells through it and it was flawless. Because they're rather expensive, I only ran 2 higher loads through - 2 3/4 hi brass military buckshot rounds. (Olin, made by winchester) The recoil on those was more, but still incredibly manageable! I'd have NO fear of letting my wife shoot this, and I could shoot it all day long!!

I'm impressed, and I'm extremely happy with what I've built. To me, the ergos are great. The weight is heavy, but it's all up front and keeps the muzzle down. The recoil absorbing ATI Talon stock was just amazing. I can not believe I own this thing!!!!!!!
Glad to hear you got to get out and blast, buddy!

-T1

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DECISION TIME!!! Weigh in, folks!!!

I've decided to sell my Taurus PT-99 and use the money towards a Springfield 45. I REALLY like the XDM competition with the 5.5" bbl. It goes for between $7-800. But, I can also find the XD 45 in tactical model for about $450 (used one for sale, nice shape). Difference? Newer model vs old, a bit different frames, comp barrel vs not, fiber optic front site vs 3-dot.

If you were me, what would you go with here? I'm a bit patient, and if I do sell the 9mm I should have the money next month for the XDM. Or, I'll have the money for that XD sooner, and have a bit left over for whatever else.

AAAAAAHH!!!! HELP!!!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
DECISION TIME!!! Weigh in, folks!!!

I've decided to sell my Taurus PT-99 and use the money towards a Springfield 45. I REALLY like the XDM competition with the 5.5" bbl. It goes for between $7-800. But, I can also find the XD 45 in tactical model for about $450 (used one for sale, nice shape). Difference? Newer model vs old, a bit different frames, comp barrel vs not, fiber optic front site vs 3-dot.

If you were me, what would you go with here? I'm a bit patient, and if I do sell the 9mm I should have the money next month for the XDM. Or, I'll have the money for that XD sooner, and have a bit left over for whatever else.

AAAAAAHH!!!! HELP!!!
First question:
Are you going .45 in both the XDM and the XD?

Second: Do the Differences between the two really matter that much? Could you buy the lesser one and upgrade it later?

Third: Whats your motivation on going to a .45? ei. Competition, Home Defense, Just Cool Factor.

Because if your going Competition then do the XDM. Tho difference of .25" is not that much. XDM Barrel=5.25 XD Barrel=5"
Now with the XD you can buy it cheaper then do, because with the saved money you can buy better sites, After market barrel (ei. longer, tho may stick out from the slide), more ammo, trigger jobs the list could go on forever.

Remember when a company puts National Match or Competition barrel in their gun who is the person that says it is a National Match or Competition barrel. (There is NO outside company that test to "Certify" that it is a National Match or Competition barrel.)
Its just the Gun manufacturer that says it is a special barrel. Tho most are better barrels the the normal, you can get after market barrels that are better. Also remember most guns can shoot better then the person behind the gun.

If I were buying I would get the XDM 45. Because I could buy the gun then go straight to a Competition and Compete. But I also upgrade all my Competition guns. Because I'm a Gear Whore.:saevilw:

Tho only gun I have never upgraded is my Glock 34 because I have to keep that bone stock to shoot in the GSSF Competitions.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First question:
Are you going .45 in both the XDM and the XD?

Second: Do the Differences between the two really matter that much? Could you buy the lesser one and upgrade it later?

Third: Whats your motivation on going to a .45? ei. Competition, Home Defense, Just Cool Factor.

Because if your going Competition then do the XDM. Tho difference of .25" is not that much. XDM Barrel=5.25 XD Barrel=5"
Now with the XD you can buy it cheaper then do, because with the saved money you can buy better sites, After market barrel (ei. longer, tho may stick out from the slide), more ammo, trigger jobs the list could go on forever.

Remember when a company puts National Match or Competition barrel in their gun who is the person that says it is a National Match or Competition barrel. (There is NO outside company that test to "Certify" that it is a National Match or Competition barrel.)
Its just the Gun manufacturer that says it is a special barrel. Tho most are better barrels the the normal, you can get after market barrels that are better. Also remember most guns can shoot better then the person behind the gun.

If I were buying I would get the XDM 45. Because I could buy the gun then go straight to a Competition and Compete. But I also upgrade all my Competition guns. Because I'm a Gear Whore.:saevilw:

Tho only gun I have never upgraded is my Glock 34 because I have to keep that bone stock to shoot in the GSSF Competitions.

As much as I'd like to be a gear whore, my budget simply never allows it. I'm selling one gun to put towards another here, if that tells ya anything. Momma doesn't like it when I hog the loot, eventhough it's mine to hog!

I'm going 45 because I want something bigger. Do I need it? No, but I want it. I don't need anything, and my 9mm would suffice for whatever I want it for. But I would like to have something bigger that is more accurate. My Taurus is decent, but even when on a bench, I can't get very tight groups with it. It's great for defense, but not competition.

No, I'm not going to compete. I'm pretty much a non-competitive individual. But I would rather have something that's capable of competing as well as getting the job done rather than something that's just mediocre. I can get a silly Hi Point cheap that'll shoot big bullets, but I'm not going to.

For me, the difference is kinda in the bells and whistles. I would LIKE to have the better sights, the longer "match grade" barrel, and the better frame. I've held both an XD and XDM recently and though I liked them both, I liked the XDM better. It wasn't even the name on it, though - one that I held first was an XD with an XDM tag on it - mistake at the gun shop, so pretty much it was a blind holding test for me.

As for price, I don't know. I could go out today and get that used XD and be fine with it, then send more money later on whatever else. If they were closer in price, it wouldn't be so much of a decision. If only $150 separated the two, I'd just opt for the XDM. Here, it's $450 used or $750 new.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
As much as I'd like to be a gear whore, my budget simply never allows it. I'm selling one gun to put towards another here, if that tells ya anything. Momma doesn't like it when I hog the loot, eventhough it's mine to hog!

I'm going 45 because I want something bigger. Do I need it? No, but I want it. I don't need anything, and my 9mm would suffice for whatever I want it for. But I would like to have something bigger that is more accurate. My Taurus is decent, but even when on a bench, I can't get very tight groups with it. It's great for defense, but not competition.

No, I'm not going to compete. I'm pretty much a non-competitive individual. But I would rather have something that's capable of competing as well as getting the job done rather than something that's just mediocre. I can get a silly Hi Point cheap that'll shoot big bullets, but I'm not going to.

For me, the difference is kinda in the bells and whistles. I would LIKE to have the better sights, the longer "match grade" barrel, and the better frame. I've held both an XD and XDM recently and though I liked them both, I liked the XDM better. It wasn't even the name on it, though - one that I held first was an XD with an XDM tag on it - mistake at the gun shop, so pretty much it was a blind holding test for me.

As for price, I don't know. I could go out today and get that used XD and be fine with it, then send more money later on whatever else. If they were closer in price, it wouldn't be so much of a decision. If only $150 separated the two, I'd just opt for the XDM. Here, it's $450 used or $750 new.
Ya that's why I was asking. I think you would be happy with either one.

But in the end both will do what you want. The XD is a prefect gun for upgrades later. New Sites are not that much.
I like the look of both of them. I love the cut out of the XDM alot more tho.

Tho you could always look for a used XDM during the time you want to buy the new one.
Also gunbroker.com, or slickguns.com could have a nice used XDM if you don't mind the transfer. (Not hard at all and most of the time you can get free shipping.)
Here is one on gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=303792771
Just remember to ask about the transfer fee at your Gun shop.
I've seen used XDMs go for $425-$650 depending on what comes with it.

I love used guns, most of the time its a great deal. And most of the time very low shot count.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya that's why I was asking. I think you would be happy with either one.

But in the end both will do what you want. The XD is a prefect gun for upgrades later. New Sites are not that much.
I like the look of both of them. I love the cut out of the XDM alot more tho.

Tho you could always look for a used XDM during the time you want to buy the new one.
Also gunbroker.com, or slickguns.com could have a nice used XDM if you don't mind the transfer. (Not hard at all and most of the time you can get free shipping.)
Here is one on gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=303792771
Just remember to ask about the transfer fee at your Gun shop.
I've seen used XDMs go for $425-$650 depending on what comes with it.

I love used guns, most of the time its a great deal. And most of the time very low shot count.

Thanks. I do keep an eye on gunbroker atleast once a week just for kicks. I have a guy who is an independent FFL that will do a transfer for like $25, which is really good around here. I'm not really afraid to go that route. Nor am I afraid to go used. Thing is, the XDM comp is actually newer, so not many used ones out there.

After looking and reading yesterday on what it takes to do the sights, I'm pretty sure that I'll just opt for the XDM that I want. I found it online for $713 already, free ship, so that beats anything I've found locally - or is atleast a jumping point for those that price match. Sitting on $350 in my pocket at the moment for it (only because I just committed to a SOG Trident from another small business guy from FB), and have my Taurus listed for sale.

And on that note, woke up to an email about the Taurus. Some guy trying to lowball me! Said he did his research online and at some gun dealers.... uh, you did all of that last night, cause the ad only went up around 5pm, buddy. He said the price new is $400 and a good trade in price is $200, so he offered me $300. Sorry, bub. My dad just bought one like mine a few weeks ago and paid over $500 for it from a good friend who owns a gun shop with the best prices around (where I bought my Mossy). I did my own digging - bargain basement price for fair condition is $300 on this. I want $400. It's got Hogue grips, adjustable sights, 2 mags, kydex holster, soft in-the-pants holster, some ammo and some ammo boxes. I think that's fair. I wrote back and said $375, and any lower and it's just the gun and no goodies. Can't bite on the first worm, and this one was really just too small!