The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
300 BlackOut is a nice good shooting round. Easy to reload to, if your into that. I'm not big on resizing .223 cases in to .300 because you still have the .223 marking on the bottom. Yes you can tell the difference but there are other cases that are close and hard to tell the diff. IE. 9mm and 9x18. Hard to tell the difference and easy to mess up.
assuming either of those mixups is equal too trying to fire a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge?

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Saw a truck on the way into work - back window was covered in Glock Nation, Ruger, NRA, and other similar stickers (best being WARNING: this driver only carrys $20.00 in ammunition :) )

But dead center: Dancing Bears.. :)

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Saw a truck on the way into work - back window was covered in Glock Nation, Ruger, NRA, and other similar stickers (best being WARNING: this driver only carrys $20.00 in ammunition :) )

But dead center: Dancing Bears.. :)
Just means he is sensitive. :icon16: :AR15firing:

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hit up the biggest gun shop in the state this weekend and a pretty big army/navy store as well. Can you say "Kid in a candy store"??? :D While inquiring about a reflex sight for the shotty, the guy said that he had one on an AR and handed it to me. First time I ever held one! And... didn't like it. Too light for me, too small, and overall just not interested. However, I did finally get to play around with a Nagant! DEFINITELY going to get one of these in the future! $100 for a brute like that is definitely up my alley!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Hit up the biggest gun shop in the state this weekend and a pretty big army/navy store as well. Can you say "Kid in a candy store"??? :D While inquiring about a reflex sight for the shotty, the guy said that he had one on an AR and handed it to me. First time I ever held one! And... didn't like it. Too light for me, too small, and overall just not interested. However, I did finally get to play around with a Nagant! DEFINITELY going to get one of these in the future! $100 for a brute like that is definitely up my alley!
Not bad rifle don't have one yet tho. Some people keep saying the supply may dry up soon. But who knows. I know when I started looking for different surplus rifles the Nagants were around $75. But know they are around $100. So something is happening. Just like CMP's Rifles you could get a nice M1 for around $400 a couple years back not so much now.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
for some reason today i have the urge to own a Ma Deuce and or a Deuce and a half. not sure why :)

Happy 4th folks!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
for some reason today i have the urge to own a Ma Deuce and or a Deuce and a half. not sure why :)

Happy 4th folks!
Mount a Ma Deuce on a Deuce and a half, drive down the road and make everyone else drop a deuce? Sounds like an epic plan to me!!!!!

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Mount a Ma Deuce on a Deuce and a half, drive down the road and make everyone else drop a deuce? Sounds like an epic plan to me!!!!!
some how i think i would make it onto the news if it tried it :)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
other thing I learned being a few feet down range from a volley of 1860(?) Springfields - damn the percussion from them is crazy... hit me more than the bang honestly nearly pushed me back. Can see why snipers died from the blast waves alone back then..

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, it's been a bit since I last posted in here. Waz up?!

I have a few projects in the work right now gun-wise. I've taken my Mosin Sniper and am completely refinishing the stock; duracoat the metal parts matte black; float the barrel; and putting in a match grade (huber concepts) trigger and original finnish m39 sear spring. The trigger mods alone should significantly reduce the trigger pull and improve accuracy.

I've already finished the stock and it came out awesome! I used a lighter color stain and I like it. The duracoat should be here any day now and I'll get going on the next phase. I'll get some pics up once this baby is finally finished. I should mentioned that I initially used birchwood casey's "cold blue" to refinish the metal parts; it just didn't look right even after prepping the metal as good as I could. Nothing is comparable to a factory hot blue anyway, but honestly that whole process fukcing sucks. The duracoat will offer a very nice finish that will last forever; and a hell of a lot easier to apply as long as the prep work is good.

I also enrolled in Penn Foster's online gunsmith program. I'm doing it more for background information and general knowledge right now. I may look to see if there is a gunsmith around here that needs an apprentice so I can get some time in the machining aspect. This is something I plan to implement as a side career at some point.

Oh yeah, I put a Glock 26 Gen 4 on layaway today. I'm going to eventually replace my Kel Tec PF9 with it. The Kel Tec has given me some issues lately with FTE. It's a common problem with the gun and a result of poor extractor spring design. I've replaced it and put some blue loctite on it; so far so good, but I don't trust the gun anymore with my life. It will still find its way into my CCW rotation, but there is just something to be said for the accuracy and reliability of Glock. I've probably put 5-6,000 rounds through Glocks over the last few years and NEVER had even one malfunction.

I also traded in my Kimber and bought a Glock 23 Gen 4, some extra mags, and a Lone wolf .357 Sig conversion barrel. It's like having two guns in one now. I finally got to try out the .357 Sig conversion barrel yesterday. It was flawless and fun to shoot. It's a shame the .357 Sig is so damn expensive, because the ballistics on the round are very good.

-T1

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely interested in seeing how the Nagant turns out. When I eventually have mine, I wouldn't mind have the metal coated somehow, too. I'd imagine that shipping it out is gonna be a bit tricky and expensive, though... lol

Not necessarily gun/firearm/knife related but along the survival-type lines... If anyone is interested in paracord goodies, check out Z-Cord on Facebook. Store set up to take custom orders and everything. Prices beat anyone else that I've seen, too. I hear the owner is a bit of a douche, though... HA!! :D

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Z-Cord/335314743216287

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely interested in seeing how the Nagant turns out. When I eventually have mine, I wouldn't mind have the metal coated somehow, too. I'd imagine that shipping it out is gonna be a bit tricky and expensive, though... lol

Not necessarily gun/firearm/knife related but along the survival-type lines... If anyone is interested in paracord goodies, check out Z-Cord on Facebook. Store set up to take custom orders and everything. Prices beat anyone else that I've seen, too. I hear the owner is a bit of a douche, though... HA!! :D

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Z-Cord/335314743216287

Werd...what a douche. :D

Speaking of...I need to place an order now...

Definitely check out the store, guys. GREAT prices!

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I should also report that I received my 03 FFL Curio and Relics license from the ATF yesterday! I can't believe it only took 30 days to process and get it.

Time to start ordering some milsurp rifles right to my front door! :D

-T1

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I should also report that I received my 03 FFL Curio and Relics license from the ATF yesterday! I can't believe it only took 30 days to process and get it.

Time to start ordering some milsurp rifles right to my front door! :D

-T1
Congrats the first order is the best because it comes straight to you from the other FFL. Make sure to make a bond book or buy one.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm getting all my forearms off the record now. I read up on Obamacare and now if this part of Obamacare goes into effect they can access your medical records and deny you from owning a gun claiming you are mentally deficient, even if you never been convicted of a felony or been set to an institution. You can be denied just by having ADHD. Welcome to Stalin's Soviet Russia.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats the first order is the best because it comes straight to you from the other FFL. Make sure to make a bond book or buy one.
Thanks, bro. I'm psyched! :D

Definitely gonna make the book first order of business.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm getting all my forearms off the record now. I read up on Obamacare and now if this part of Obamacare goes into effect they can access your medical records and deny you from owning a gun claiming you are mentally deficient, even if you never been convicted of a felony or been set to an institution. You can be denied just by having ADHD. Welcome to Stalin's Soviet Russia.
In ways, they kinda do that already. In order to get an FFL, you grant the ATF access to your medical records anyway. If they don't like what they see, they can deny you; even take what you have if you something pops up. They don't have that access right now though in approving gun sales through NICS unless you pop up as either a felon or have been reported as involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric institution or mentally defective; but you're right, that can all change.

This obamacare bull**** is the beginning of the end. I'm honestly more concerned about this UN Gun Treaty that's being discussed right now. If the senate is stupid enough to ratify this atrocity to the constitution (more specifically the second amendment), then you can begin to prepare for the 2nd American Revolution, because it won't be far off.

-T1

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
In ways, they kinda do that already. In order to get an FFL, you grant the ATF access to your medical records anyway. If they don't like what they see, they can deny you; even take what you have if you something pops up. They don't have that access right now though in approving gun sales through NICS unless you pop up as either a felon or have been reported as involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric institution or mentally defective; but you're right, that can all change.

This obamacare bull**** is the beginning of the end. I'm honestly more concerned about this UN Gun Treaty that's being discussed right now. If the senate is stupid enough to ratify this atrocity to the constitution (more specifically the second amendment), then you can begin to prepare for the 2nd American Revolution, because it won't be far off.

-T1
I don't want them to know period, so I'll get my guns else where.

Trickybiz

Trickybiz

Awards
Thing of beauty that is. Great job! Have you considered adding a flashlight to it?

Night Prowler

Awards
Looking to get my first pistol. Primarily for target possibly for home defense. Would probably still go for the 12 gauge. Looking at either a .45 or 9mm. Any thoughts or brand. Thanks for the info

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
Looking to get my first pistol. Primarily for target possibly for home defense. Would probably still go for the 12 gauge. Looking at either a .45 or 9mm. Any thoughts or brand. Thanks for the info
Depending on how much you want to spend.....I love my Kimber 1911 .45!

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
random question. Made in the USA Berettas: is that a good thing?

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
In the end it is all about how the firearm feels to you. Really any firearm will put down someone. With good shooting discipline. What I have by my bed is a Sig P250 full-size 9mm with a light on it, 17 rounds of frangable defence ammo.

Best thing to do is go to a gun range that rents guns and try different ones out. Will save you some headaches in the beginning and end if you end up not likeing a gun just because it looked cool or it fits someone's else's hands better. Once you do get a firearm, practice your shooting disciplines at the range if you can. Most home defence shootings will happen under 20 feet. So practice this.

Also have fun and enjoy your firearm.

Here is my bedroom firearm with ammo.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
random question. Made in the USA Berettas: is that a good thing?
Not much if any differences

There are some places that say that the American Beretta had better QA then the Italian.
Also could be differences in the way the sights are fitted on the firearms but not sure.
I have an American made one and I love to shoot it but don't because of other guns I have.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCSFSYsa1M
(Ignore the mouth smacking if you can :aargh: )

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
good to know. an Inox 92FS or a SA .45 XD are on the short list of realistic choices. Like you said its down to which fits better in the hand, but .45 would be my choice all things considered. Either would work i am sure extremely reliable, low FTF or FTE.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone here either own or have fired a Nagant revolver?

-T1

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Anyone here either own or have fired a Nagant revolver?

-T1
Nope but really have been looking at getting one because of the price on them. I think Cabela is having a sale on them right now around me. The ammo isn't cheap tho and i'm not sure if it is reloadable.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the difference between some of the Nagants and ones that are "arsenally refinished"? Usually see those a bit cheaper. John, what would be best for my needs? (bastardizing it)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sad thing was about 2 years ago you could pull the Nagants for around $69-$79. Didn't have the C&R yet.

Want a interesting rifle look into the Steyr Hungarian M95 8X56R rifles. They are a dream to shoot and yet a hella big bang.
You can still find really good deals on Mosins, but they've definitely increased in price; especially the M38 and M44 carbines. AIM Surplus has them for $89.95 right now.

I was looking at they Steyr M95's a few days ago. J&G sales has a good deal on them right now:

http://www.jgsales.com/steyr-95-stutzen-carbine,-budapest-mfg,-8x56r-caliber,-good-to-very-good-condition-with-no-bayonet.-p-5795.html

For $100 I just may have to jump on that. :D Have you found any place that has a good price and supply of the 8x56R ammo?

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope but really have been looking at getting one because of the price on them. I think Cabela is having a sale on them right now around me. The ammo isn't cheap tho and i'm not sure if it is reloadable.
The price is great on them, but I've heard that anything but the surplus ammo for them is garbage and underpowered. I haven't seen anything on reloading for it, but I imagine you could. I'll have to research that.

The ammo definitely isn't cheap; even for surplus. It's a pretty cool little revolver with a good history to it, though.

-T1

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the difference between some of the Nagants and ones that are "arsenally refinished"? Usually see those a bit cheaper. John, what would be best for my needs? (bastardizing it)
Almost every one that you buy has been arsenally refinished to some degree. They are usually marked with a cartouche on the stock to signify that it has been. Sometimes they fixed or changed out the stocks; replaced parts and force matched the serial numbers; etc. Every once in a while you'll find one that wasn't. My Mosin Nagant M44 wasn't, and you can tell. It literally looks like a battlefield pick up (which I think it probably was), and then somehow emerged into the market as such. I'll have to post a pic of it. I absolutely LOVE the thing in the current condition. It shoots like a freakin' dream, too. When these were imported there is also an importer stamp that was usually applied to either the barrel or receiver of the rifle.

I have some Mosin's that I play with gunsmithing and such; and others that I won't touch. It all depends really on the person and the history of the rifle to be honest. I have a book that I can look through to identify certain markings on the rifle. Some of them are more rare and unique, and those I keep as is to retain and respect the history. I have a few though that are very basic with no significant markings on them, so I decided to refinish and modify them a bit.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what gives you the most enjoyment. There are some guys that will rip you for refinishing or modifying a Mosin, but in the end it's your rifle and you can do what you want with it. You can refinish these guns back to very good condition and still keep them original.

You can't go wrong with a $100 rifle like the Mosin, Tim. They are fun as hell to shoot and the ammo is still very cheap. It's a great way to get into rifles as well and learn about the whole bolt action system. The most common variants are the M91/30, M44, M38, and the M91/59.

The M91/30 was the standard infantry rifle in full size. The rifles that noted superb accuracy were marked (depending on the arsenal that made them) and became sniper rifles.

The M38 is a carbine (meaning smaller version of the gun) that was issued to transporters, tankers, and artillery units.

The M44 is also a carbine version, but it has an attached folding bayonet. They are freakin' awesome little guns. They were made after the battle of Stalingrad when the Russian's learned that they needed a smaller gun with a bayonet capability during the house to house fighting.

You need a Mosin my friend. :D

-T1

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
You can still find really good deals on Mosins, but they've definitely increased in price; especially the M38 and M44 carbines. AIM Surplus has them for $89.95 right now.

I was looking at they Steyr M95's a few days ago. J&G sales has a good deal on them right now:

http://www.jgsales.com/steyr-95-stutzen-carbine,-budapest-mfg,-8x56r-caliber,-good-to-very-good-condition-with-no-bayonet.-p-5795.html

For $100 I just may have to jump on that. :D Have you found any place that has a good price and supply of the 8x56R ammo?

-T1
Aimsurplus.com has a good deal on New manufactured 8x56r ammo. Pivi brass.

I got my steyr from www.southernohiogun.com. The M95 Steyr looked great. They only sell to Dealers and C&R Dealers. You will have to send your CR to them and they will make a login for you to see the prices.

You can still get surplus ammo (corrosive) for the M95. It's around $20 for 10.

And the new stuff is $20 for 20.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I know John answered you. But also you can really get any Nagant with a strait bolt and change it into a "turn bolt" with a kit, the kit also has a scope mount with the kit. So you can have a "Sniper M44" for cheaper then the real one. Plus you can do it your self.

I know they also make new stocks for them too.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aimsurplus.com has a good deal on New manufactured 8x56r ammo. Pivi brass.

I got my steyr from www.southernohiogun.com. The M95 Steyr looked great. They only sell to Dealers and C&R Dealers. You will have to send your CR to them and they will make a login for you to see the prices.

You can still get surplus ammo (corrosive) for the M95. It's around $20 for 10.

And the new stuff is $20 for 20.
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these. I like the straight pull on the bolt. Pretty cool it uses and enbloc clip as well. I guess when I finally get into reloading I can utilize it for the steyr as well. I love little carbines that are freakin' cannons, haha!

This C&R is gonna get me in a lot of trouble with the wife...:D

-John

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know John answered you. But also you can really get any Nagant with a strait bolt and change it into a "turn bolt" with a kit, the kit also has a scope mount with the kit. So you can have a "Sniper M44" for cheaper then the real one. Plus you can do it your self.

There's a few different guys on ebay that will convert your bolt to the standard sniper length and angle. One guy will do it all weld, and they both have an option to drill, tap, steel epoxy, and drive a pin through it for extra strength. I've had work done by both of them and they came out awesome. I want to say it's about 25-30 bucks with shipping to get it done.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these. I like the straight pull on the bolt. Pretty cool it uses and enbloc clip as well. I guess when I finally get into reloading I can utilize it for the steyr as well. I love little carbines that are freakin' cannons, haha!

This C&R is gonna get me in a lot of trouble with the wife...:D

-John
You can find the enbloc clips on Ebay too. Be sure to keep all your brass. If you do end up reloading you will be happier down the road. If not you can always sell the brass on different websites.

I've bought 9mm Winchester one shot brass for 30/k shipped.

Don't even know what the specialty brass would go for like the 8x56r, and the reloadable Russian brass.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Will have to look into the ebay guys to work on a turn bolt for a Mosin for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tho my next CR gun will prob be a Walther P1/P38. I have always wanted one of those pistols.

1287734285.jpg

And yes a C&R will get you in trouble with the wife.:lol:
Start a online savings account like ING Orange account save money there and pay from your own account.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Exactly what I plan to do with it. ATI makes stocks and the bolt kit for it. I'd probably opt to have someone do the bolt for me since I screw things up, but otherwise I just want to scope it, bipod, stock, and make a modern gun out of it. Sniper rifle on a budget!

There's a few different guys on ebay that will convert your bolt to the standard sniper length and angle. One guy will do it all weld, and they both have an option to drill, tap, steel epoxy, and drive a pin through it for extra strength. I've had work done by both of them and they came out awesome. I want to say it's about 25-30 bucks with shipping to get it done.
I'll definitely go this route and have someone else do it. I've seen a few guys already that do.

Also, been doing a little thinking lately beyond the Nagant. I looked at an AR and didn't like it. I held a WASR 2 weeks ago and didn't really like it either. Maybe I'll skip that idea for now, but am toying with the idea of a .45. I know something pricey is out, as much as I'd like a Kimber or something. What other recommendations do you guys have? Springfield XD guns? Looking along those lines, me thinkst. Opinions welcome!

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
the xd .45 looks great like the best of Herr Glock and Mr Browning's ideas in one package :)

an 870 question for you guys: assuming it is the standard mag size, are all 870's barrels replaceable from say a field length to a HD 18.5?

They didnt make any crazy model changes over the years did they? fingers crossed :)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the xd .45 looks great like the best of Herr Glock and Mr Browning's ideas in one package :)

an 870 question for you guys: assuming it is the standard mag size, are all 870's barrels replaceable from say a field length to a HD 18.5?

They didnt make any crazy model changes over the years did they? fingers crossed :)
Not sure, but I think so. I remember looking around the gun shop a few weeks ago and laughing at a Rem870 barrell that was made by Mossberg! :) Definitely a good idea, though! The more purposes you can get out of one gun, the more justification to get said gun!

As for the XD's, been reading up a bit. Definitely think I found one I like! http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_8.html

XDM 45 comp series. Specs look great on it (atleast to my eye), and the price range seems to be much better than I expected. It's my style - tacti-cool, and I could definitely see myself with it! Just gotta sell a crapload of paracord to afford one first. Anybody need a rifle/shottie sling?!?!?!? I do a real nice package complete with sling, swivels, and matching bracelet and keyfob! lol I figure I'd only need to sell about, oh, 7 slings to afford this pistol. :cheers:

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Honestly - legality aside..all i have to do is ask and I am pretty sure my inlaws would just give me either the 870 or an Ithica 20 guage 37 Featherlight. Have to assume it is a short barrel because my Father in Law says he fires it one handed.. :) Great argument for my wife.. they are her family airlooms after all, they have to be passed down :)

Need to read up on how one sells / transfers in NJ.. Some how I doubt I can get away with no crazy fee to the state.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly - legality aside..all i have to do is ask and I am pretty sure my inlaws would just give me either the 870 or an Ithica 20 guage 37 Featherlight. Have to assume it is a short barrel because my Father in Law says he fires it one handed.. :) Great argument for my wife.. they are her family airlooms after all, they have to be passed down :)

Need to read up on how one sells / transfers in NJ.. Some how I doubt I can get away with no crazy fee to the state.
Which is funny because I was just talking to a buddy from Ohio on Saturday night about gun fees and whatnot. Apparently in OH, they don't register the guns. You just buy one, they don't track the numbers, and that's it from what I understood. Getting a carry permit, on the other hand, is the hard part. In PA, they do the fed check on you before you buy anything. All sales or trades done at a FFL dealer. The permit, as I said before, is as easy as walking into the local sheriff's office, filling out a form, and having a seat while they take your picture. It may be different from county to county, but where I'm at now, it's $30 for the first 5 years, then $20 renewal. Walk in, picture, walk out with photo ID carry permit card. Reminds me... gotta get mine renewed!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Anyone own a Kel-Tec p11? I was thinking of buying one.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gun / Survival Porn! A buddy of mine sent me a few pics of her new para sling. I thought she was just going to take pics of the gun, but no...no... there's boobs. :cheers:

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Nice picture. Tell her thanks from all.