SkRaw85 Training Log

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s a godsend for the pecs. Nothing works as well to release tight pec inserts. Works nicely on the meat of the lats too from the front while you lay on your back and spread the cobra hood out.
Gave it a go on the pecs, solid gold!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A free boomstick?! Damn! What a deal...
Well, nothing is free
But they had it to where you spent a certain amount and ya get a free gift (boomstick, shoulderok, or baby boom). I was about 30 bucks shy of it so naturally, had to get mine lol.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/19/19
Dynamic bench

Reg bar speed bench vs monster minis doubled, vary grip, 30 sec rests:
205x3x9

Standing cable crunch:
240x12,12,6

Tri rope pressdown:
200x10
180x10
160x10x2

Seated strict Db rear delt fly:
40’sX10,7
30’sX8

Db single arm OH tri extend (vary angles):
50x10 per arm
40x13
30x15

Db shrugs:
100’sX20,18
90’sX20

Ab wheel rollout:
10x3

Weighted dips (220lbs bodyweight):
+45 x8
+90 x6
+45 x8

DB Farmer walk:
160x50ydsx2

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
1/19/19
Dynamic bench

Reg bar speed bench vs monster minis doubled, vary grip, 30 sec rests:
205x3x9

Standing cable crunch:
240x12,12,6

Tri rope pressdown:
200x10
180x10
160x10x2

Seated strict Db rear delt fly:
40’sX10,7
30’sX8

Db single arm OH tri extend (vary angles):
50x10 per arm
40x13
30x15

Db shrugs:
100’sX20,18
90’sX20

Ab wheel rollout:
10x3

Weighted dips (220lbs bodyweight):
+45 x8
+90 x6
+45 x8

DB Farmer walk:
160x50ydsx2
Jesus bro, rope press downs with 200? Your tricep strength is immense.

I love the farmers walks - reminded me to start doing them again....

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jesus bro, rope press downs with 200? Your tricep strength is immense.

I love the farmers walks - reminded me to start doing them again....
Thanks, they get their work in for sure.
It had been a while since I’ve done them too, trap bar next time I think

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol whatever, you do like 20 reps with that!
Nah, bro. Can do a couple of pull ups with 90lbs -but no dips. Have to work on this. You are strong as fugg -and a inspiration!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nah, bro. Can do a couple of pull ups with 90lbs -but no dips. Have to work on this. You are strong as fugg -and a inspiration!
Ahhhh the pull-ups now I remember. You destroy those. I seriously doubt I’d get one with 90 lbs. you got those bis though
Thank you l, I will have to try weighted dips sometime at the beginning of a workout to see where I stand. I always use them as an end burner.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ahhhh the pull-ups now I remember. You destroy those. I seriously doubt I’d get one with 90 lbs. you got those bis though
Thank you l, I will have to try weighted dips sometime at the beginning of a workout to see where I stand. I always use them as an end burner.
Step it, Suzie - you’re sandbagging. Several weeks back I dipped +90 x9 nice and deep after a full Press routine weighing almost 245.

And you bench a lot more than me and definitely have way stronger triceps, so I call sandbagging!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Step it, Suzie - you’re sandbagging. Several weeks back I dipped +90 x9 nice and deep after a full Press routine weighing almost 245.

And you bench a lot more than me and definitely have way stronger triceps, so I call sandbagging!
+90 x9 . Get out. Feeling surrounded by alpha male gorillas. My vagina starts to itch.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
+90 x9 . Get out. Feeling surrounded by alpha male gorillas. My vagina starts to itch.
Hey I can’t do any weighted pull-ups of consequence right now lol

It’s not that the numbers matter here - it’s that Sk can 100% definitely do a lot more here because I know what I can do and what he can on chest & tri movements!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey I can’t do any weighted pull-ups of consequence right now lol

It’s not that the numbers matter here - it’s that Sk can 100% definitely do a lot more here because I know what I can do and what he can on chest & tri movements!
With other words: "Its better to be friend with SkRaw85 -or get raped." :)

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Liiiiiiiigghhtweight baby!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/20/19
Business casual back and bis

Db alt hammer curls:
50’sX20,12
40’sX20
30’sX12
25’sX14

Snatch grip BB seal row:
135x15
185x10
225x8
185x8
155x10x2

Cable lat pull down:
180x10 ultra wide
190x10 CG
170x8 reg

Supra bar curls:
75x10,8,10

Cable standing lat pushdown:
180x10 wide
180x10 reg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How do you execute the lat pushdown movement? I thought I knew what that was but your weight makes me think I’ve got it wrong.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you execute the lat pushdown movement? I thought I knew what that was but your weight makes me think I’ve got it wrong.
It has to be the machine he uses.
Back is "so to say" my strong site. Doing pushdowns with a bar, I rep (10-15) with about 65-80lbs on "life fitness", the max weight on stack is about 100lbs. I suspect the machine he uses is the same for his cross over low pulley side laterals. I hope I'm right, if not, I gonna change my gender.

The lat pull down I do on life fitness with max weight effortless for 10-15 reps at 235lbs. Its somehow logical, as my pull ups are on par.

Edit: We all know sky is a strong mofo, maybe we really are that weak. Gonna go for a bourbon.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I set the pulley at high point and throw on the straight bar (3 ft ish), grab bar and take two big steps backwards. Assume quarter squatter stance, keep elbows locked and arms straight for movement. Starts at 45° upward angle, ends at bar touching thighs. I switch up grips as well.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It has to be the machine he uses.
Back is "so to say" my strong site. Doing pushdowns with a bar, I rep (10-15) with about 65-80lbs on "life fitness", the max weight on stack is about 100lbs. I suspect the machine he uses is the same for his cross over low pulley side laterals. I hope I'm right, if not, I gonna change my gender.

The lat pull down I do on life fitness with max weight effortless for 10-15 reps at 235lbs. Its somehow logical, as my pull ups are on par.

Edit: We all know sky is a strong mofo, maybe we really are that weak. Gonna go for a bourbon.
Hmmmm, now I’m wondering lol. I think next session I’m going to grab a straight free barbell and then throw a straight bar on a low pulley at same weight and do the Pepsi challenge rep for rep. Better suggestions for testing?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmmm, now I’m wondering lol. I think next session I’m going to grab a straight free barbell and then throw a straight bar on a low pulley at same weight and do the Pepsi challenge rep for rep. Better suggestions for testing?
Your lat pulldown is supposedly as strong as your pushdown (180lbs). Do the lat pushdowns on the lat pulldown machine. :)

If you pull that off, I post a pic in a dress.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your lat pulldown is supposedly as strong as your pushdown (180lbs). Do the lat pushdowns on the lat pulldown machine. :)

If you pull that off, I post a pic in a dress.
Welllll..... I did have to do that once when someone else was using that specific machine. I jumped on the pulldown machine with a straight bar and made a horrendous clang as it stopped abruptly at half stroke (shorter cable). Weight was set the same as reg machine. This is why I love a good old barbell lol.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welllll..... I did have to do that once when someone else was using that specific machine. I jumped on the pulldown machine with a straight bar and made a horrendous clang as it stopped abruptly at half stroke (shorter cable). Weight was set the same as reg machine. This is why I love a good old barbell lol.
With other words. If you do half of a rep with the lat pulldown machine, I have to wear a mini skirt -instead of a dress?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was talking about using THAT machine, if you have one:

Its high up and you could try the pushdown with the same weight as you pull. That would make my case.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was talking about using THAT machine, if you have one:

Its high up and you could try the pushdown with the same weight as you pull. That would make my case.
That is the one I tried it on and not enough cable for ROM. Maybe if I stood on the seat, but at that point it’s a circus trick. I’ll figure something out. Might be trying a free pass at a different gym this weekend (supposedly they have a SSB) soo can give it a go and see what happens lol

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is the one I tried it on and not enough cable for ROM. Maybe if I stood on the seat, but at that point it’s a circus trick. I’ll figure something out. Might be trying a free pass at a different gym this weekend (supposedly they have a SSB) soo can give it a go and see what happens lol
You right, the cable is too short.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wait how do you use a barbell? I’ve only ever done it on the lat pulldown (and yes it will slam if step back or yank fast) and use about 60lbs for sets of 12s.

I absolutely hate them because I basically only feel them in my abs and forearms. Dumbass movement. Laying pullovers work infinitely better IMO.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait how do you use a barbell? I’ve only ever done it on the lat pulldown (and yes it will slam if step back or yank fast) and use about 60lbs for sets of 12s.

I absolutely hate them because I basically only feel them in my abs and forearms. Dumbass movement. Laying pullovers work infinitely better IMO.
Its not an easy exercise. I found you have to assume the EXACT position to make it work :
-Knees slightly bent
-back curved with chest out and butt out
-scapulas retracted
-torso leaned slightly forward
-arms straight almost locked out

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I haven’t figured out how to use a barbell for that yet lol. I was just implying I love the fact that the exact weight being shifted is readily apparent and consistent; as compared to these varying machines. I agree though pullovers work better.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its not an easy exercise. I found you have to assume the EXACT position to make it work :
-Knees slightly bent
-back curved with chest out and butt out
-scapulas retracted
-torso leaned slightly forward
-arms straight almost locked out
It really is all in the stance and setup to hit the lats, exactly as laid out.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/22/19
Puke and rally
My kid was puking last night, I pulled up to the gym and followed suit. Feels of nauseous weakness.
Time to get my hookgrip rolling as I suck at it but don’t have the biceps to use mixed grip every time. Biceps or thumbs.... ima go thumbs lol.

RDL:
135x10 hook
225x10x2 hook

2” deficit stiff bar deads (all full reset):
315x6 hook
405x1 DOH, belt
405x3x2 straps, belt
Grip strength just not there today so out come the straps.
315x8x2 DOH

That’s all I got to give today. Still gotta drag my happy azz to work

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look up Steve Goggins talking about hookgrip. He pulled 900 hook in the gym and over 800 in comp dozens of times over his career. Essentially he said to train the hook frequently but low volume, then break out straps for most of your deadlift work, and build DOH grip as well. Exactly what you did.

Feel better.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will say at least imo the real training that needs to be done with hook grip is with heavier loads. The light weight high reps wont do much for the first few times you feel your thumbs being squished by 500+. Definitely agree with Hyde, use hook for some "heavier" singles or doubles mainly then pack it up for the day and bring out the straps or go back to doh. When i was training for my last last comp i think i started getting a little nerve damage from how frequently i was using hook over the prior 6 months.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for the input fellas, always appreciated. I’ll check out that vid tonight after work

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/26/19
Chest ME

Duffalo deadpress (2” off chest):
55x1x5
235x1x5
325x1
375 fail (exploring this new lift)
325x1x4
285x1x5 (last rep was slow 8 sec TUT)

Verdict: these are tough as hell and badass. My new preferred method of deadpress.

Pec deck rear delt fly:
195x10
225x5
255x4,3

Duffalo CGBP:
235x6,5,4 (2 sec pause)

Duffalo bench w/yellow slingshot:
325x3

DB strict French press:
90x12
100x9,5

Arms shaking. Great success!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/27/19
Dynamic skwaats

Duffalo speed box squat vs avg green bands over plates:
235x2x12 volume PR

Duffalo Zercher squat (you saw it here first?):
145x10
235x5

Db alt hammer curls:
50’sX20
45’sX20
40’sX14
30’sX14

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
1/27/19
Dynamic skwaats

Duffalo speed box squat vs avg green bands over plates:
235x2x12 volume PR

Duffalo Zercher squat (you saw it here first?):
145x10
235x5

Db alt hammer curls:
50’sX20
45’sX20
40’sX14
30’sX14
Duffalo zercher...... was that not more uncomfortable on the crook of the arm? Guessing with the weight being lower your abs work harder to stay upright?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely a bit more funky to hold and way more trunk activation. I was just dicking around with it lol

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1/30/19
Shoulders
*was supposed to be heavy dead work but forgot belt*

Kneel cable crunch:
200x16
240x10,8,6

Db OHP:
90’sX8,6

DB shrug:
100’sX16
100’sX10 paused

DB seated rear delt fly:
30’sX10,8

DB alt front raise:
40’sX12,8
30’sX16

Supra bar curls:
95x8
75x8,6

Running on fumes today, didn’t hit all my proteins yesterday and I feel it. Good thing I forgot my belt.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes things work out for the best - now get your food in!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Been working stupid amounts of overtime this week, proper training wasn’t feasible. Time to grind.....

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/3/19
Deads

2” deficit deads, stiff bar, full reset as I never TnG with any deads. Ever. :
225x5 hookgrip
315x5 hookgrip
405x5 hookgrip, belt
455x3 straps, belt
405x5,5,3 straps, loose belt

Hookgrip is getting stronger. Slowly but sorely. I’m falling in love with it.

Single DB preacher curl:
50x5 per arm
40x8
30x8

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/4/19
ME chest

Incline bench:
135x10
275x3,3,2

DB incline hex press:
180x5
150x10

Skull crushers:
110x10
130x8
110x10x2

DB lateral raise, belly down on 45° incline, lead with elbows:
20’sX12x3

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/7/19
Skwaats

Rotator cuff aggravated as all hell from work. Ceasing pressing until further notice.

Duffalo squats:
145x5
235x5
325x3
375x3,2 belt
325x3x3 belt
235x5x2 2 sec paused

Seated calf raise:
155x16
200x10,8
245x5

Hip abduction:
170x5x3

Hip adduction:
170x10x3

Kneeling single leg hammy curl:
100x10x3 1 sec pause

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sorry about the cuff, give it longer than you think you need and you won’t miss a beat hopefully.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry about the cuff, give it longer than you think you need and you won’t miss a beat hopefully.
Thanks. Yeah I’m pretty certain it’s just a lil angry, but I’m not going to let it become something.