Serotonin & Dopamine...

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've reading a lot about to improve and two things which are mentioned quite a lot seem to be serotonin and dopamine. My question is which products/supplements are most effective at optimising these brain chemicals to improve mood regarding anxiety/depression etc

Just generally anything which makes you have used and it has improves your well being and made you feel good.

It can be something you have experience with or has been proven/validated to work by science.

Someone I know advised of 5-HTP

Thanks in advance

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Honestly, when it comes to neurological ailments, especially depression, anxiety, etc., it's always best to seek medical assistance.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly, when it comes to neurological ailments, especially depression, anxiety, etc., it's always best to seek medical assistance.
I didn't say I specifically have depression or abnormalities regarding neurological aliments. What I'm looking for is something to increase the feel good feeling in these winter months.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
5-HTP has been hit or miss with me. Sometimes I feel better, other times I crash worse. I've read about some brands that combine 5-HTP & L-Tryptophan, haven't tried though.

Vitamin D3 seems to help & is cheap.

B12 sublingual always gives me a little extra boost - I hear the B12 shot is great

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
get out and go ice fishin! thatll boost your spirits and give you some lean protonz for your diet :)
actually
you can look to products like L-dopa and PEa's to boost your mood. I will tell you though that people rave about the good mood that intimidate puts them in after a restful sleep.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I have went through a bottle of bsl growth and noticed a huge improvement in my mood and well being. I think a restful nights sleep works wonders.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
low dose oral selegiline plus, 1 cap dopadex plus 1 cap of pikatropin would be real ideal to aid in depression

infraredline

Awards
I disagree, if he seeks medical help they are just going to put him on something like Lexapro or Prozac which are just going to cause more of a problem.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Increasing 5-HT and DA to improve your mood isn't really that simple of a process.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I disagree, if he seeks medical help they are just going to put him on something like Lexapro or Prozac which are just going to cause more of a problem.
So seeking guidance from us is a better call? It's irresponsible for us to give him advice on a subject that isn't just black and white, as Synapsin alluded to.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I came off anti depressants in 2010, I did lots of research RE this. I determined that using the following would be best, and it worked for about 3 months to help the coming off and restoration of natural healthy levels of serotonin and dopamine:

50mg 5htp at bed

1000mg l tyrosine (500mg caps) dosed in AM and afternoon on empty stomach

200mg SAM E dosed empty stomach in AM

After a while, I began to experience serotonin syndrome sides and dropped the 5htp. I've used the tyrosine and Sam e as listed above for the last 3 years daily. I sometimes use a sleep aid with 5htp but never take more than 25mg or else I get sides.

infraredline

Awards
So seeking guidance from us is a better call? It's irresponsible for us to give him advice on a subject that isn't just black and white, as Synapsin alluded to.
I think doing research on his own is best, part of that includes coming here and seeing what had worked for others.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm a big fan of 5htp, when i take sleep supplements with 5 htp i usually start to feel better overall within a week or two....i don't suffer with seasonal depression during the winter months or depression overall but a good boost in well being is always fun, look into Lights Out, should really help

people have also reported a boost in well being from DAA, NMDA being a better choice, look into Intimidate SRT, maybe even stack it with Lights Out or 5 htp

Mood Support:

When we activate our NMDA receptors, our body releases Pregnenolone. Pregnenolone helps us feel rested and happy very quickly. Intimidate SRT™ may help support your mood and your workouts will help you maintain a positive attitude!*

heres part of the write up from Intimidate SRT

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe I should have been more specific in my initial post, to clarify I don't have depression or any specific or underlying health problem related to the former. I was merely asking for something for promotion of well being as I have a stressful job and and it can be mentally and emotionally draining in combination with these winter months.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
low dose oral selegiline plus, 1 cap dopadex plus 1 cap of pikatropin would be real ideal to aid in depression
I was actually reading up on a l-dopa supplement as I believe it also has growth hormone elevating properties which i was looking for a separate supplement for also. What kind of dowse would be use for dwell good and what dose for gh elevation?

Thanks for you response

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I should have been more specific in my initial post, to clarify I don't have depression or any specific or underlying health problem related to the former. I was merely asking for something for promotion of well being as I have a stressful job and and it can be mentally and emotionally draining in combination with these winter months.
i read that you weren't depressed, i do know some people that just don't like the cold winter and the dark nights....my recommendations are what i've either used or plan on using to help feel better overall.....the logs of people using intimidate srt notice mood boost, not to mention the other benefits it offers

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i read that you weren't depressed, i do know some people that just don't like the cold winter and the dark nights....my recommendations are what i've either used or plan on using to help feel better overall.....the logs of people using intimidate srt notice mood boost, not to mention the other benefits it offers
No I noticed that you noticed, other posters seemed to misinterpret, maybe I should have been clearer. Thanks for your response, will look into intimidate.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What are you talking about Aaron? Of course we know more than a medical professional. I googled supplements to help depression for a FULL 5 minutes today :D

In all seriousness, vitamin d3 supplementation is my preferred supplement of choice to 'prevent' seasonal depression. That and l dopa. I like l dopa

Vj63

Banned
Awards
You SNS guys make some great points about seeking medical advice for these things. In fact, to show my appreciation, I will consult a physician before taking any of your products just as you advise. I know that my doctor as well as most others will be eager to give me their blessing to take products that are widely known by most MDs like DAA, agmatine, x-gels.
Thanks so much for caring.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You SNS guys make some great points about seeking medical advice for these things. In fact, to show my appreciation, I will consult a physician before taking any of your products just as you advise. I know that my doctor as well as most others will be eager to give me their blessing to take products that are widely known by most MDs like DAA, agmatine, x-gels.
It does say to do so on the bottle :D

Forgive us for not misrepresenting ourselves as MD's, but when someones psycholoigcal welfare is at stake, board members need more than 5 minutes google before handing out advice over prescription medication.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
God it seems like you guys go the doctor for every little ****ing thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much time getting tests done and asking questions, etc. you don't need a doctors visit for every supplement you take....seriously....you guys think doctors give great advice. It's because of a doctors advice that I almost died and experience pain on a daily basis. Had he not been involved in my life I would be fine. Believe me doctors are OFTEN wrong

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
God it seems like you guys go the doctor for every little ****ing thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much time getting tests done and asking questions, etc. you don't need a doctors visit for every supplement you take....seriously....you guys think doctors give great advice. It's because of a doctors advice that I almost died and experience pain on a daily basis. Had he not been involved in my life I would be fine. Believe me doctors are OFTEN wrong
Wrong and you've misinterpreted the responses thus far. As company reps, we must be mindful that our posts are not taken as medical advice. It was misinterpreted as to what OP was after (it was taken as though he was suffering from depression) and we are in no position to offer medical advice.

You must be aware that depression is multi factorial and if OP did indeed have it, then without proper assessment, people making generalised 'medical' statements could potentially make things worse.

OP has made it clear he does not have depression so suggestions thus far could be warranted.

Reactions: mw1
rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Wow There are bad mechanics too, do you assume every one of them are bad because of it? And the doctor recommendation thing is basically associated with almost anything to do with the health industry and rightfully so.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Phenibut. /thread.

EDIT-im sorry pregenolone is NOT released in response to the NMDA receptors being stimulated but pregenolone sulfate is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9856862/

Example study. Read the first two lines.
Do you happen to have a pdf of the study? I see what the abstract says happens in retinal cells, but even then it is not clear. Pregenolone modulate NMDARs, but I haven't seen anything that shows that synthesis occurs after NMDAR activation.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you happen to have a pdf of the study? I see what the abstract says happens in retinal cells, but even then it is not clear. Pregenolone modulate NMDARs, but I haven't seen anything that shows that synthesis occurs after NMDAR activation.
I can snag it when I get home. But the abstract says the synthesis increases after NMDAR activation.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
would you rather them be like the iforce reps and constantly pimp every iforce supp for every question lol?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can snag it when I get home. But the abstract says the synthesis increases after NMDAR activation.
Abstracts have a funny tendency to sound much more exciting and significant than the data actually shows. Also, the abstract says they only used retinal cells.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I was actually reading up on a l-dopa supplement as I believe it also has growth hormone elevating properties which i was looking for a separate supplement for also. What kind of dowse would be use for dwell good and what dose for gh elevation?

Thanks for you response
2 caps of analyzed supplements dopadex should definitely do the trick, you could add a little huperzine-a to attentuate the effects

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
would you rather them be like the iforce reps and constantly pimp every iforce supp for every question lol?
This. Products like x-gels, agmatine, etc, aren't used to treat issues that may be as serious as mental health issues, regardless of how insignificant the OP and others may think they are. I would have thought that people would prefer helpful responses by people that aren't just out to pimp products for the sake of helping the bottom line out.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. Products like x-gels, agmatine, etc, aren't used to treat issues that may be as serious as mental health issues, regardless of how insignificant the OP and others may think they are. I would have thought that people would prefer helpful responses by people that aren't just out to pimp products for the sake of helping the bottom line out.

lmao, i don't even know how to respond to this nonsense...i'll just let it go

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
lmao, i don't even know how to respond to this nonsense...i'll just let it go
What's nonsense about it? Agmatine is a confirmed neurotransmitter in the human body and ArA excess is implicated in all sorts of neurological conditions.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are you talking about Aaron? Of course we know more than a medical professional. I googled supplements to help depression for a FULL 5 minutes today :DIn all seriousness, vitamin d3 supplementation is my preferred supplement of choice to 'prevent' seasonal depression. That and l dopa. I like l dopa
This illustrates just how correct you are about giving advise.

My wife is an endocrinologist. I also had to learn about treatment of osteoporosis back when we tried 7 HRT bellwether cases in Reno and in Philadelphia. Understanding D3 was a piece of this process.

The feel good from the sun comes from an opioid B-endorphin via stimulation of POMC. Not sure D really produces any feel good reaction similar to the UV production of B-endorphin feel good response.

The belief that large doses of d will make a normal person feel any better or any different is perhaps bunk. Large doses of D3 theoretically could have opposite impact if raises blood calcium. I think the d feel good may be a bit psychosomatic.

A lot of us eating decent amounts of tuna, salmon and etc. and with younger skin may be at optimal levels. Taking mega doses with optimal levels may lead to hypercalcemia. K may help plumbing and redirect calcium.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
5htp - legendary, make sure its a good supplier and start low (50mg) increasing if needed. ALWAYS perks me up when im being a grumpy a$$ this time of year. Within 2 weeks you forget the need for it.

Also, if stressed, try some calming - Im grumpy from that too - so I take Kalms or other supermarket versions

L-dopa arrived today! A MUST for 5htp users as it depletes dopamine. Together, you feel GREEEEAAAT. I couldn't wait for my usa shipment so I bought USP Powerfull from the uk.

Don't go to the doc, he'll refer you for chemicals that don't fix the issue or natural option will be 5htp anyway!

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well said!
I agree that many times SSRIs are handed up absent proper testing resulting in an exacerbation of the problem, especially if the problem is xy axis related. Docs are getting a little better these days regarding the SSRIs.

Telling someone (especially younger white males) to take D3 without knowing their baseline, however, is perhaps no better than a GP prescribing an SSRI to someone depressed because of jacked hormones. Even with baseline tests, a low D and high blood calcium could be indicative of a parathyroid. Low D3 prohibits intestines from absorbing more calcium to protect the body from high blood calcium levels. Ingesting more D3 could be very, very bad even if you have low D-25 without a full understanding of the bigger picture.

The point here is that a healthy younger individual eating a proper diet will generally have homeostasis with D3 and calcium levels. The lower range D25 blood level was also recently reduced from 30ng to 20ng. I doubt very seriously most, if any of you, need or will benefit from D supplements if you are less than 30, male, or non-Hispanic white. Candidly, unless you are some 65 year old granny with jacked hormones, have Parkinson's, MS et al., vitamin D will perhaps do nothing for you. So much misinformation or manipulation of data employed to promote D.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I agree that many times SSRIs are handed up absent proper testing resulting in an exacerbation of the problem, especially if the problem is xy axis related. Docs are getting a little better these days regarding the SSRIs.

Telling someone (especially younger white males) to take D3 without knowing their baseline, however, is perhaps no better than a GP prescribing an SSRI to someone depressed because of jacked hormones. Even with baseline tests, a low D and high blood calcium could be indicative of a parathyroid. Low D3 prohibits intestines from absorbing more calcium to protect the body from high blood calcium levels. Ingesting more D3 could be very, very bad even if you have low D-25 without a full understanding of the bigger picture.

The point here is that a healthy younger individual eating a proper diet will generally have homeostasis with D3 and calcium levels. The lower range D25 blood level was also recently reduced from 30ng to 20ng. I doubt very seriously most, if any of you, need or will benefit from D supplements if you are less than 30, male, or non-Hispanic white. Candidly, unless you are some 65 year old granny with jacked hormones, have Parkinson's, MS et al., vitamin D will perhaps do nothing for you. So much misinformation or manipulation of data employed to promote D.
This probably needs a cooper or synapsin response but remember there is vitamin D and vitamin D3 supplements and,during colder winter months it should be almost mandatory to get extra d3 in the system considering the sun is the main source of it.

The safe UL is noted at around 10,000iu and there are so many benefits with supplementing with d3, if deficiet, that doing so in winter should be paramount.

Can I ask you what basis you lay the claim that supplementing with it is not needed given the plethora of data on the subject showing benefits?

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This probably needs a cooper or synapsin response but remember there is vitamin D and vitamin D3 supplements and,during colder winter months it should be almost mandatory to get extra d3 in the system considering the sun is the main source of it.
Almost mandatory? According to whom? Supplement companies, vitamin companies, health food stores, homeopathic companies et al. I do know a few DOs and GPs that used to make such statements, but have since backed off.

In healthy individuals, blood levels of cholecalciferol naturally peak in the fall, build up in your system and help production of d throughout the winter months. Again, if you are a young, white male that ingests a healthy diet, you are most likely in a state of homeostasis with regard to d and calcium regulation throughout the winter months.

Unlike the body's conversion of sun, taking d supplements can cause hypercalcemia. The body will down regulate D in a state of hypercalcemia to impede the small intestine's absorption of more calcium to guard against further hypercalcemia. The body can and will maintain this homeostasis with natural d production, but cannot with supplemental vitamin d.

Guess what? Hypercalcemia due to unnecessary ingestion of supplemental d can cause: depression, memory loss, apathy and irritability.

I primarily took issue with your feel good comments regarding taking supplemental d. The feel good reaction from the sun is not a result of vitamin d. The sun's feel good comes from an opioid B-endorphin through stimulation of POMC.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
So much misinformation or manipulation of data employed to promote __________.
I know you put "vit D" in there when you typed it, but let's just be real and fill in the blank with whatever you want
this forum is great, but ppl sure stretch the credibility of this or that study etc when attempting to "prove a point"
I get a chuckle almost daily

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Almost mandatory? According to whom? Supplement companies, vitamin companies, health food stores, homeopathic companies et al. I do know a few DOs and GPs that used to make such statements, but have since backed off.

In healthy individuals, blood levels of cholecalciferol naturally peak in the fall, build up in your system and help production of d throughout the winter months. Again, if you are a young, white male that ingests a healthy diet, you are most likely in a state of homeostasis with regard to d and calcium regulation throughout the winter months.

Unlike the body's conversion of sun, taking d supplements can cause hypercalcemia. The body will down regulate D in a state of hypercalcemia to impede the small intestine's absorption of more calcium to guard against further hypercalcemia. The body can and will maintain this homeostasis with natural d production, but cannot with supplemental vitamin d.

Guess what? Hypercalcemia due to unnecessary ingestion of supplemental d can cause: depression, memory loss, apathy and irritability.

I primarily took issue with your feel good comments regarding taking supplemental d. The feel good reaction from the sun is not a result of vitamin d. The sun's feel good comes from an opioid B-endorphin through stimulation of POMC.
Cooper is a, at least to my knowledge, a proponent of supplemental vit D3.
mr.cooper69 Synapsin De__eB

If this is true, which the overwhelming doesnt support, then I want to hear it from these guys.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I know you put "vit D" in there when you typed it, but let's just be real and fill in the blank with whatever you want
this forum is great, but ppl sure stretch the credibility of this or that study etc when attempting to "prove a point"
I get a chuckle almost daily
You're being ignorant if you feel all studies are biased to make you buy product.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
You're being ignorant if you feel all studies are biased to make you buy product.
what? jigzz, I am shocked by your own lack of thought in that post
where the hell did I say anything remotely resembling what you accuse me of?
I think you need some sleep buddy

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's nonsense about it? Agmatine is a confirmed neurotransmitter in the human body and ArA excess is implicated in all sorts of neurological conditions.
I know eh? I saw his post and figured no point in getting into a pointless argument.

About vit D: people tend to be more deficient than they think, but not everybody is and its quite easy to take care of. Vit D should realistically be taken by people who have had blood tests showing they are deficient, although it won't hurt most people to supplement vit D. Supplementing it when you don't need it, however, is pointless.