does ephedra affect serotonin or only norepinephrine?

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not sure if this helps

Ephedrine is structurally related to noradrenaline (norepinephrine) and acts primarily through the release of catecholamines. It also has direct effects on α- and β-adrenoreceptors and inhibits MAO. It is a mild CNS stimulant. Ephedrine is nonselective and mimics the affects of adrenaline (epinephrine).

john10960

Awards
Thanks.

So through being an mao inhibitor it effects serotonin reuptake by definition? Or am I wrong about that?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks.

So through being an mao inhibitor it effects serotonin reuptake by definition? Or am I wrong about that?
MAOIs shouldn’t affect reuptake. It’ll inhibit the monoamine oxidase enzyme, which degrades, obviously, monoamines. To be honest, I’m not sure what all fits under the title “monoamine” but I know catechamines do as well as PEA and related molecules. It may reduce the breakdown of serotonin but I’m not sure on that one.

john10960

Awards
Sorry yeah that’s what I meant. Not re uptake but it will keep more serotonin in the synapses by inhibiting breakdown.

If something is an MAO, does anyone know if it automatically applies to dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin or can they be selective?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry yeah that’s what I meant. Not re uptake but it will keep more serotonin in the synapses by inhibiting breakdown.

If something is an MAO, does anyone know if it automatically applies to dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin or can they be selective?
I’m not super familiar, but there are at least two subtypes of MAO: a and b. You could try and see which affects which more and try to find a more selective inhibitor I suppose. Not something I’ve looked into though.