Prayer Request Thread

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I have one more. A friend that I play softball with's dad has kidney cancer. They operated on him a few weeks ago and took the wrong kidney. Not that the prognosis was good anyway, but now there is nothing that can be done and it is a matter of time. So if you all could say a quick one for my friend Bob and his father and the rest of his family, that would be cool....

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
Thanks much!

I seem to be on a roll....just got an email over lunch from my friends Don and Danielle in Uganda.
I am writing to ask that you please go before the throne on behalf of Don. He has fallen sick with malaria and is not feeling well at all. We are suspecting he caught it a week and a half ago when he traveled up north with some other pastors as they were staying in the villages. Please pray that God would give him a restful night of sleep tonight and that the malaria treatment will be effective.

So....one more?

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely Mahoney. It is certainly encouraging to know that there are strangers out there not only willing to read this thread, but to take time out of their day and say a quick prayer for others.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
'morning :D

This reminds me of something.
All prayer requests have been duely noted! :box:
When that inexplicable something happens in your life, when that peace, joy, comfort or deliverance come your way let us not forget to share the praise portion of prayer.

For me there have been some big things going on in my gym. There is a long time friend who I recently have come reacquainted with. We fellowship at a mens group in our church. The man is a testament to good stewardship and makes me want to be a better man.

Not only was the lusting issue I struggle with put at bay for a bit many times he and I were speaking out loud to each regarding our walks and struggles. I tell you the truth, that no less then three men were drawn to both of us through this conversation. We both were blessed with opportunity to witness.

So when you ask for deliverance remember He is faithful to provide a way out and if we are willing to accept it not only can we delivered but He can also be glorified. Pay attention and don't miss it.

Also don't forget to share it here. I know personally of at least one man here who is a prayer warrior. When he prays for me things happen and lives are changed. First mine and then if I am faithful the man or woman next to me.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
We fellowship at a mens group in our church. The man is a testament to good stewardship and makes me want to be a better man.

... I tell you the truth, that no less then three men were drawn to both of us through this conversation. We both were blessed with opportunity to witness.

.... I know personally of at least one man here who is a prayer warrior.
I don't want to beat a dead horse; especially since I realize that my wife's continued adultery, while painful, is far less of a burden than others have been asked to carry - but I'll use it as an example:

Before I learned the reality of what "she" was again doing, I knew something was terribly wrong. Rather than to continue to try to control it, I surrendered it to God. God started softening my heart so that I could see what was really going on, and that my actions to glorify Him were the very ones that lead to the truth coming out.

Even before it all unfolded, I started surrounding myself with Christian men; those to whom I could confide. These men are my brothers in Christ; although one weeded himself out by telling his wife something I told him in confidence - and his wife told my so-called wife.

I couldn't do it alone. I needed the Godly counsel of these other men. After the first affair I went into solitary confinement. I told no one what was going on - trying to save the honor of my children, and yes, my wife too. It was awful.

Men - please don't go through troubles alone. Take them to God, and then look for other men who will support you with Godly advice. I was told "a million times" by non-Christian men that I should do was get even; and go bang all the women I could. I didn't - although some part of that advice didn't seemed fairly attractive. I didn't because (1) it would have only lowered me to "her" level, (2) it would have used someone else, and (3) it would not have glorified God. My Christian buddies never advised me to go on a Lay-athon.

The moral? Surround yourself with men who will help push you in the right direction; not pull you down into the mud.

The end.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
At times I really struggle with my relationship with God. It seems to be intermittent, sometimes the greatest, sometimes the absolute worst.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, but sometimes I wish I could just pick up a phone and speak to God directly, just so that we can be on the same page and I can get some help/direction I need with no ambiguity.

God rarely speaks directly to people, and 99.9999% of the time his healing comes from other people and so does his word. Honestly, I do find this situation frustrating at times, and even more so very impatient and doubtful.

In regards to my own situation, I've found myself lately not wanting to persue the situation further and would just wish that God would send me an email or give me a phone call that way I could just get the jist of not 'why' everything happened to me, but more so 'what' should I do from now and moving forward.

It is very difficult.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
At times I really struggle with my relationship with God. It seems to be intermittent, sometimes the greatest, sometimes the absolute worst.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, but sometimes I wish I could just pick up a phone and speak to God directly, just so that we can be on the same page and I can get some help/direction I need with no ambiguity.

God rarely speaks directly to people, and 99.9999% of the time his healing comes from other people and so does his word. Honestly, I do find this situation frustrating at times, and even more so very impatient and doubtful.

In regards to my own situation, I've found myself lately not wanting to persue the situation further and would just wish that God would send me an email or give me a phone call that way I could just get the jist of not 'why' everything happened to me, but more so 'what' should I do from now and moving forward.

It is very difficult.
Yes, I am sure it is.

If God did the email thing, then we wouldn't have to rely on faith. But I am with you, when I suffer I want relief. Unfortunately for me, that happen's on God's, not Beau's, schedule.

And no, you are most certainly not the only one who feels as you do.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Matthew 6

Prayer
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

The challenge is knowing the mind of God. If we know the mind of God then we know how He communicates to us. We are not like God and we need to learn His mind and how He communicates. The way we get to know the mind of God is by studying His word. When we study His word we know what He is like and when we are in His word we are in His presence. How do you get to know your Father? By spending time with Him. How do we do this? Prayer AND study.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
One of the things I've learned in my own experience is that God tends to give an ample amount that you need to continue to move forward, but not enough to actually do the work for you. God also seems to make you as a person draw enough to do your own work instead of God doing it (which could be easily done and would be much better).

I've picked this up, esp with Elijah's story. Sometimes it is a pain to go through 'bad times' and just want relief and for it to be over, although in the back of my head I know it dosen't work that way, it is not on my time schedule, and more importantly, for all I know I could be 100% off. On top of that, it falls on me and my own responsibility, no one else.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my experience I have not suffered through or endured any trial that has not made me a stronger and better man...when I do it with God.

"for we know that He works all things for good for those who love Him"

Notice He did not say; have the answers, try their best, fix it on their own, try harder, give it 100%...etc.

Going through something without God may just be survival. Going through something WITH God is molding, forming and shaping you and your character into the God like man He intends for you to become. THAT man He has plans to use for His glory some day. You will be that witness that someone will be waiting for God to send into their life.

I've been in both situations :)

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to pass on something that I mentioned in a bible study:
My son (10y/o) who had been asking for some type of toy repeatedly (and we repeatedly said no) asked me what I thought a parent's job was. I knew he was going somewhere with it so I told him to tell me what he thought. He said "people tell me it's to make kids happy" At that point I didn't know whether to laugh or get angry. I told him pretty much that I didn't care if I made him happy, that my job was to make sure he grew up into a fine upstanding young man. If he liked me, even better; if not as long as I did my job I would be content with that.

The leader of the bible study responded to that story by saying that a lot of times we are all like my ten year old son. We expect God to constantly make us happy. We feel that it's his job. I believe God does want us to be happy, but he is more concerned with our spiritual growth and our ability to learn and grow in Him. This is a hard lesson for me as I go through the many struggles of life. I wonder why God lets me go through those things...why isn't He making my life happy? It is during those times that I believe He wants us to turn to him and understand that through him we are more blessed than we can ever imagine.

Anyway, just something I wanted to share.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
And, we need to keep in mind that God gave all of us free will; meaning we can do as we please, but so can others. Even if we follow God, others may not - thus we may have to face ill-intended transgressions of others.

I don't believe it is prudent to see God's role as ensuring we will not experience pain. I've learned to know better.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Praise:

Today my wife was lucky caller #12 for a local news channel Diamondbacks ticket contest - 4 tickets to the game Friday night. :D

A long awaited insurance claim finally came to closure today. A decent sized settlement check is on its way. We're grateful that my wife was not injured (whiplash - very seriously exaggerating existing migraine issue) worse than she was and is starting to get to a completely recovered status. :thumbsup:

My 6 yo first grade daughter is in an advanced reading program. She went in initially evaluated at a 2.1 reading level. After only one semester (it started up after the Christmas break) she was just reevaluated today and is assessed at a 4.1 reading level. I am so grateful she is a reader. I was not and am still not much of a reader. :clap2:

This morning at 4:30AM AZ time my 18 yo son called me. For no reason. :woohoo:

:box:

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Just picked up on this thread, and would like to say that this is an AWESOME thread which you have started here B! I am one which like Reaper said, has kind of an intermittent relationship with god, allthough I do not want it to be as so! I think my major abstacle and one for whcih I allways pray for strength against, is lust as well! Allthough I am not on the right path, I do believe in god and have faith in him as he has proven to me many a times that nothing is impossible for him!:clap2: I shall keep everyone here in my prayers, and ask that you keep my mother and father(which are both ill but thanks to gods grace are recovering VERY well:dance:) in your prayers! Thanks, and again great thread brother:clap2:!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good Morning!

In case some did not notice, it is speculated that up to 50,000 lives may be lost in the China earthquake.

I think Florida is on fire too.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The worst was in maynamar (sp). The cyclone has destroyed parts of Burma, and the inability to get supplies to the people is ridiculous. There is only so long that those people can surivive until nature starts to take its course.

It is truely tragic how these events happen, esp with the one in Maynamar with very poor economic conditions.

As atjnutrition2 was saying, nowhere in the bible does it say anything about happiness. I'm going to go further and say, I don't really recall seeing anything about 'guaranteed' healing either. Not to say that God dosen't heal, as he often does, but there is no guarantee of the power of healing which is often times the most difficult thing to overcome depending on the circumstances of each individual.

Despite my own challenges, I am quick to dismiss the things going RIGHT in my life and have a tendency to focus on this going wrong instead. Not to single out Beau, but if **** like that happen to me, I don't know if I would be able to cope with that or even recover........ever. I think a lot of people could say the exact same thing as well.

Here's a link to a website I like to read. I don't agree with 100% of everything that Ralph says, however I find it still good material to ponder over.

Behind the Badge of a Deputy Sheriff

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is when we are willing and able to admit and surrender to the fact that WE can't do it is we have the opportunity to INVITE Him to did it for us.

The weak are made strong...in Him.

I am trying to avoid being 'preachie" because I assure you I FAIL too.

Pray :)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For those who have issues with lust, maybe a few thoughts might help:

• God made men to be very visual.
  • We are responsible with what we look at/for, and the thoughts that we have when we find something visually pleasing.
  • There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that someone is attractive.
  • Lusting isn't the same as acknowledging that someone is attractive.
  • Lusting is really a measure of where your heart and mind are. So, the issue becomes are your thoughts glorifying God?
  • We all face temptations to look, leer or lust.
Here is what I try to do - I deflect my eyes when faced with an opportunity to look at someone that I believe will lead to anything other than an assessment of the extent to which they are (she is) attractive. For example - last night I went to dinner, and at one point went to the restroom. Upon exiting the men's room, I saw a waitress bending over a table, reaching to get something in the far side of the booth. As she did, her skirt rose up her hips - to the point I could have very easily "seen her stuff". As soon as I realized this (i.e, in a split second), I deflected my eyes away from her rear end. Now, everything within my red-bloodedness told me to stay there and look. That would have only normal (and lustful). But I made myself look away because I didn't have the right to take advantage of her. So despite having what I believe is an extraordinary high libido, I made myself look away and felt pleased, rather than feeling seedy or embarrassed.

That approach takes practice, and will power. It sure as heck doesn't "feel right", but it is.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like yourself it is a choice. If I give in, it stokes a smoldering fire that is unquenchable.

I have become intimately familiar with the 'pray without seizing' concept. It's like a bluetooth signal from me to him ;)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
OK - if you can, please include this in your prayers. I know it is nothing like the tragedy others have faced, but it feels like another very stinging blow to my heart.

You may have read that I am in the process of getting a divorce. The divorce process is the most undignified thing I've ever gone through. The divorce was prompted by my wife's multiple affairs. This time she, the Director of Contemporary Music at our then-church, has been sleeping with our then-church's Director of Christian Music since November 2006. SO, until she resigned in September 2007 and he was "allowed to resign" a week later, they lead praise to our then-congregation for nearly a year - all while meeting in hotels and having sex.

About two years ago my so-called wife stopped being a mother to our daughter; now 15. She started being our daughter's best friend and confidant. I had no idea that she was turning my daughter against me - as they established a covert plan in which my so-called wife made me the bad guy. Of course, my daughter knew nothing of the real motivation; my so-called wife intended to move out of the house, divorce me and and marry her lover - although she wanted to make it look like we separated and then they "found each other". As it now stands, I have seen my daughter one time since she left with my so-called wife back in September 2007, when I found out about the adultery. I have called and sent letters each week; none of which are returned. According to several counselors, my wife is committing what is referred to as "emotional incest" with my daughter, and I don't stand a chance of having a relationship with my daughter until she sees the truth. BTW - neither of my sons will have anything to do with their so-called mother. They see her for what she is. My daughter is now seeing a counselor and the counselor also sees my daughter's mother for what she is and sees just what she is doing.

So - today is my 49th birthday. I received calls from my sons (22 and 20, both attending UCLA). I didn't expect anything from my daughter, but received a Hallmark Ecard. All it said was "I hope you have a nice day. (Her Name)"

No I love you. No I miss you. Nothing.

I thought I was past this type of hurt, or immune to it; apparently not. I realize the truth may be that I am over-reacting or just too sensitive.

Here is my prayer request. Please pray that God will bring someone in my daughter's life that will help her see the truth of what her mother has done, and see me in an accurate light; not the jaded light her mother has prescribed for me.

These prayers aren't for me - what I want most is for the healing process with my daughter to start - and for that to happen she needs to be able to assess things truthfully.

Thanks, guys.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This is definately praise.

No longer am I a dad of 2. Now I am a dad of 2 and 1 on the way :woohoo: . We already have 2 boys, so we are hoping that this one is a girl. Regardless of the sex we are and will remain thankful for these blessings.

This thread is a great idea, because it doesn't take long for us to come to wits end in this fallen world. Trying to live on our own strength is a recipe for disaster, and it is very easy for us to think of God as this distant uninvolved entity, but that could not be farther from the truth. God demonstrated His charater and how He felt about us on the Cross, and He is more than willing to help us in all of our trials on Earth.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Just like Christ died in the Flesh, and Rose to the Spirit for eternal life, so we can die to the flesh (sin) and rise to the spirit (christ) for eternal life. amen

"sola fide" - by faith alone. trust in Him.

I was coming on here to remind everyone of the staggering numbers in China:

159,000 injured
4.8 million homeles
50,000 could be dead

Just because they are "a world" away doesn't mean our Prayers go unheard. The power of Prayer is tremendous.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A harrowing reminder, Renegade. I have been somewhat out of the loop for the past few days - tons of lab work. Today, I will praying for the victims while running experiments.

Also: I'm getting married in 6 weeks! I could definitely use a better paying job to provide in that situation, so if any of you think of it, I could always use the prayer! Thanks

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Something to share with ya'll.

I run a small business. Computer networking and repair, etc. Business has been slow lately to say the least. To top that off, my best customer is into me for almost $1000. They are having an internal fight between the partners. They know they owe me the money, neither wants to pay because the other ordered the work. This is a Law Firm. Ugh.

So I prayed. I had no idea what to do. Within 15 minutes I received a phone call from Verizon yellow pages. Last year I had asked them to call me this year about a yellow pages add. Hmm.... But I cant quite afford it.

It came to me that I had done nothing wrong in my dealings with the Law firm, and the money was clearly owed to me. I sent both partners a certified letter, stating that if I did not receive payment within 10 days, I would take them to small claims court. I sent those letters yesterday. I received a call at 11am from both partners. They apologized profusely, and said I could come and pick up the check any time today. They also have additional work for me to do (that will wait until the check clears)

Wow. I now have the money for the yellow pages add, which I think will help my business out a great deal.

God sure works in my life when I put my trust and faith in him.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Also: I'm getting married in 6 weeks! I could definitely use a better paying job to provide in that situation, so if any of you think of it, I could always use the prayer! Thanks
You'll be in mine :) Congrats!

Ribo68

Ribo68

Awards
Man I love the Lord. My God ALWAYS causes me to triumph in Christ Jesus!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
God sure works in my life when I put my trust and faith in him.
"The Bible says, “If the Lord be for me, who shall be against me?” I take this to mean that no matter what life throws at you, if you know God is leading you then what exactly are you afraid of happening to you? I mean, I’d rather have God ON my side, leading me to do whatever than to choose NOT to follow Him and have Him on the OTHER side, you know?

There is a popular song out by Matt Redmon that says, “You never let go of me” He sings, “through the calm and through the storm, oh no, you never let go of me.” Once He has me, He AIN’T about to let go of me, no matter what it looks like to someone else or even to me. Those are the times when faith and trust kick in for us as believers, and faithfulness becomes His calling card in our lives.

What I’m really talking about is waking up to the reality of God in your everyday life. Have you ever stopped to think that God really wants to do something great and big in your small little world? Most of us don’t think we are worthy of His attention in that way, but we still give Him our praises because we know we are supposed to. Right? Well, NOT admitting that He wants to become BIG in your little world is just as grievous to Him as a full-out blasphemous assault because we are LIMITING Him. We are deciding that He can’t or doesn’t want to use us–that He’s too busy with other world issues (false humility, folks).

Not only is He interested, but He DOES want to use you— Look at the Word. All through the Bible, He uses the small and unsuspecting to carry out His great plans for His people. He wants to use us in the same way during these last times.

The army is assembled, but I don’t think that we are listening to His directives. I think that we are trying to fit what He wants to do into what we want it to look like–in the name of dignity, respectfulness, privacy, whatever you want to call it. The bottom line is that most people are embarrassed to step out and take a chance for Him, even after what He did for us. We think that our boss might think we are weird, our co-workers will brand us as a fanatic, or that other believers will think we are too far out there. In these last days, people, He doesn’t need us to be afraid of anyone but Himself when we refuse to do what He is telling us to do.

So WHAT if He is calling us to do things that seem strange, go places that He says to go when we don’t understand why, or pray for those people who need to prayed for but we don’t really want to pray for? According to Charles Capps, He needs our availability and our physical bodies to give His authority a legal presence in the places that He wants to do His work. He needs our willing and obedient hearts and our presence in certain situations to activate His plans—Abram and Isaac are scriptural evidence of His plan of salvation, but without Abram’s presence and obedience, God could not do what He wanted to do since He will never force His will on us. We must choose it, and by doing so, we allow Him to have an avenue into the situation that He is desiring to change.

I believe that He is positioning Himself and His army to change the world, but if we won’t accept the assignment in our own backyard, because of appearances to men–well, will you consider accepting the assignment? WHO ARE YOU MORE AFRAID OF GRIEVING–man or God????"

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The bottom line is that most people are embarrassed to step out and take a chance for Him, even after what He did for us. We think that our boss might think we are weird, our co-workers will brand us as a fanatic, or that other believers will think we are too far out there. In these last days, people, He doesn’t need us to be afraid of anyone but Himself when we refuse to do what He is telling us to do.
Prayer goes out to those of us that struggle with feelings of inadequacy, most specifically in sexual function and performance.

Having had several "sexual interferences" in my youth has distorted my impression and expectations of what a true man is supposed to be to his wife in regard to performance and sexuality.

When I surrender my preconceived notions, which obviously may be a bit distorted due to molestation, pornography, television, magazines and the likes, and embrace intimacy and love above gratification and performance I am freed from the feelings of inadequacy that many men have struggled with and suffered from for far too long.

If sex is bringing fear, anxiety, insecurity, self doubt, and feelings of inadequacy it ain't from God. So if it ain't from Him then we know who it is from.

None of us need to go through this alone. Peace :)

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Firstly I must commend you B on being so open and I want to let the community know that I also deal with many of the same issues and insecurities due to my past (molestation,abuse (verbal and physical) abandonement,divorce and just poor choices Ive made (sin))

Gods word says that "weve not been given the spirit of fear but (weve been given the spirit) of power and of love and of sound mind for fear brings torment"

So these are not of God but they are yet another hurdle that the Lord wants to get us over so that we can help others in the same dark place.

Now many will never admit these things but Gods word says to "confess your sins to one another that you may be healed" so the true measure of a man isnt the outward shell that we portray which keeps people at arms reach. Rather its the ability to be brave enough to admit our faults so that others will not let the enemy make them feel isolated/alone and eventually overcome them in there place of pain and fear.

Great post B!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
None of us need to go through this alone. Peace :)
We, as men, are far less inclined to talk about our hurts and insecurities than are females (Venus and Mars explains why - in detail). Unless we take our problems to God and to other men, we put ourselves in a self-imposed solitary confinement. When we do so, our problems loom over us and remain unresolved; since we cannot - by ourselves - go through this alone.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Unless we take our problems to God and to other men, we put ourselves in a self-imposed solitary confinement.
I have found this statement to be so very true. I don't think I could have stayed off the booze if it wasn't for this "step".

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow, a heavy topic gentlemen. The Lord is definitely amazing, it's a great praise to Him that you have all come to know Him despite (and through) your troubles. He has always had a way of pulling me to Him in difficulty, often even when I don't want to.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It was very interesting what someone told me the other day.

His mom died last October. He ended up getting a divorce after being with the person for 3 years.

He said that the divorce was 100x worse than his mom dying.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, a heavy topic gentlemen. The Lord is definitely amazing, it's a great praise to Him that you have all come to know Him despite (and through) your troubles. He has always had a way of pulling me to Him in difficulty, often even when I don't want to.
For me it is in the shedding of His light on these little dark secrete areas of my life that I come to know Him even more. In sharing this with other men we can bare one an others burdens. It is a two fold motive that I operate on - obedience and dependence. They are actually synonymous in practical application.

Bear one another's burdens, and so
fulfill the law of Christ – the law of love.
Galatians 6:2; see John 15:12-13

I am not able to carry all this people alone,
the burden is too heavy for me.
Numbers 11:14

Cast your burden upon the LORD
and He will sustain you;
He will never allow the righteous
to be shaken.
Psalm 55:22

Trust in Him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 62:8

I want to know Christ
and the power of His resurrection
and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings,
becoming like Him in His death.
Philippians 3:10

Just as the sufferings of Christ
are ours in abundance, so also
our comfort is abundant through Christ.
2 Corinthians 1:5

For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,”
is the One who has shone in our hearts
to give the Light of the knowledge of
the glory of God in the face of Christ.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that
the surpassing greatness of the power will be
of God and not from ourselves;
we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;
perplexed, but not despairing;
persecuted, but not forsaken;
struck down, but not destroyed;
always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that
the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:6-10

In the feeding and living in my flesh all of my life I have always been the guy that has done and said the shocking stuff. Unfortunately that lifestyle was not the best application for such character traits. I find that in todays world there are things that are so taboo and secrete about men and their sexuality and their spirituality that it screams "I need you to speak up about this matter because these guys need to here something shocking to get their attention. Say that thing that they are all thinking of and hiding from but are all too afraid to speak of out loud".

For me it has a double edged challenge as well. I have this "hard" intimidating exterior. The kind that requires taking the effort to put an intentional smile on to disguise that "look". I am also an Italian from Brooklyn and can speak quite animated and maybe too abrasive and direct for some. I have had "that" burden to bear all of my life. Add body composition to that and you can imagine the struggle of misinterpretation and misunderstanding I deal with quite a lot. So when a man hears me speak of such "spiritual" things it is quite contrary to their first impression of me. When I give witness I believe I have the opportunity to reach other "hardened" men in a place where the more timid may not dare tread.

Don't forget for a second who you are and what we are to be doing:

Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:17-18

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired [to have] you, that he may sift [you] as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
Luke 22:31-32

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord [is] gracious. To whom coming, [as unto] a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, [and] precious,
1 Peter 2:2-4

But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: Which in time past [were] not a people, but [are] now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
1 Peter 2:9-10

I will confess quite candidly; I am no holy roller or any evangelical, jumping-up-and-down-in-the-pews-Jesus-freak. I am a regular guy just like the rest of us. I am in need as much as any of us. I'm just doing my part to the best of my ability. Don't be shocked by what I have to say. Be concerned when I am not shocking. There is a strong correlation between my active faith and my shocking-ness.

Anyway, way too much discussion of me. mmowry and others, thanks for sharing. Feel free to set this thread on fire any time you guys feel the need.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Still following this thread and loving it guys :)

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
b5150-

I think that you should continue to do what you are doing and keep heading in that direction. A lot of people's pride gets in the way of acknowledging God. This kinda reminds me of the whole Peter/Jesus incident in the Bible. When things are good it is easy to trust God, but when they are bad and esp if you are criticized that's when the true test happens.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
It is comforting to see/read the thoughts of people who have so called "skeletons" in the closet and yet have found healing in God. Just like all of you I have done things in my past that I am in no way proud of. I continue to have daily struggles as well. I know that the Lord is forgiving if only we confess and repent. My struggle comes in forgiving myself. This struggle can be at times be a larger obstacle in my relationship with God than the actual sin committed.

Anyway, my prayer request is for all of those hurt and left homeless by the typhoon in Burma and the Chinese earthquake.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It was very interesting what someone told me the other day.

His mom died last October. He ended up getting a divorce after being with the person for 3 years.

He said that the divorce was 100x worse than his mom dying.
With death - in almost every case - there is some sort of celebration, honor and closure. There are people who step in the breech and help; knowing you have suffered a loss. You are left with many wonderful memories.

Divorce has no celebration, honor and closure. People don't know what to do. It splits friends and families. It is like pulling muscle from bone - while the person is still living. You are left wondering if the things you remembered fondly were just lies.

Lastly, people rarely die in order to betray another person. But many divorces are caused by betrayal and if not that - involve massive rejection of your sense of being special/self worth.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Beau I feel for you I myself have been divorced.She had me thrown in jail cheated several times (with my best man even)Emotionaly wrecked men and let scars that are still unhealed (though the Holy Spirit is working on it)

Ive even lost my relationship with my son to that marriage but God has given me peace through it all.Though I tried for yrs to keep the relationship with my son:my ex used it to harm me,my new wife and my son so I had to give it to God and walk away.

Betrayl is tough but it has solidified my KNOWING that the only TRUE friend that "sticks closer than a brother" is Christ Himself!

My prayers go out to all in this thread and all reading for "Hr whom the son sets free is free indeed" Jesus is our peace and hope so I praise Him for restoring those things that are beneficial to my walk with Him and for taking away those things that arent.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I pray for all my brothers here who need it! And for those who don't even know that they need it.

My divorce has been rough too guys. Please keep me in your prays as well because my ex has gone insane and my little girl is paying the price unfortunately.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ive even lost my relationship with my son to that marriage but God has given me peace through it all.Though I tried for yrs to keep the relationship with my son:my ex used it to harm me,my new wife and my son so I had to give it to God and walk away.
I miss my daughter a great deal. All I can do is pray that she will somehow see the truth in all this and that she will not suffer emotionally from seeing her mother continue in an affair.

I appreciate your kind words and willingness to tell me of some of your past.

Beau

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I pray for all my brothers here who need it! And for those who don't even know that they need it.

My divorce has been rough too guys. Please keep me in your prays as well because my ex has gone insane and my little girl is paying the price unfortunately.
I will keep you in my prayers. I don't know your particular situation, but I can appreciate the feelings associated with having a child kept at bay, as a pawn. Sad.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I HEART you D you know Dat!!!

My prayers go out to all! and I feel for your situation also Beau.When I have more time Ill give more details its pretty insane!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for joining us.

Sometimes that's the only thing we can do and the only thing we should do. I've been (always am) on both ends of the equation. Thanks for playing your role in either case.

I often feel a void here that your presence certainly would fill well. You've been missed, sir.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I pray for you Dr.D/Beau. A divorce is one thing, but kids growing up are at a very fragile time in their lives and something like a divorce or death even is enough to turn it upside down for the worse and for their future.

I pray for that good can arise from these bad situations.