negative effects of muscle milk

XxTONEONLYxX

Awards
I have been taking muscle milk for about 3 months now and I am feeling stronger and leaner but I have recently heard that it has msg in it and that it also kills brain cells. I was wondering if anyone else has heard the same thing or what they think of muscle milk in general.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look on the label. Do you see Monosodium Glutamate listed? There's your answer.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe MSG was removed from Muscle Milk a few years ago... I may be wrong.

smutty

smutty

Awards
There are way too many ingredients in there. Why not keep it simple with natural flavors? I think that stuff does more harm than good.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are way too many ingredients in there. Why not keep it simple with natural flavors? I think that stuff does more harm than good.
Because the flavoring is one of main reasons people buy that product. Not taking anything away from it as I do use it myself but natural flavoring is EXTREMELY hard to perfect and is much more expensive/time consuming to produce.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Muscle milk always made me tired and lathargic after drinking it, I could never figure out what was in it that did it. I just stay away from it. I always laughed at the name cause it's not a pre-workout or post-workout drink. There's no carbs in it. The name itself made a lot of people buy it and on top of it, it tasted pretty good. Smart advertising but don't buy the hype. If you find it hard to get in extra protein and you want something to taste good then ok but that's about it's only good purpose.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
they have the only banana, that I have gone banana's for.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the main negative effect of muscle milk is it making your wallet lighter. I really love their lite chocoloate PB flavor, and their Horchata too. but the price sucks per serving of protein.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taste has always been secondary when selecting a good protein for me so I never bought into the hype, but if you want a good looking protein that tastes damn good, try Myofusion chocolate.

Hey it has a good looking profile and the price is reasonable...

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Muscle milk always made me tired and lathargic after drinking it, I could never figure out what was in it that did it. I just stay away from it. I always laughed at the name cause it's not a pre-workout or post-workout drink. There's no carbs in it. The name itself made a lot of people buy it and on top of it, it tasted pretty good. Smart advertising but don't buy the hype. If you find it hard to get in extra protein and you want something to taste good then ok but that's about it's only good purpose.
NO CARBS? FALSE! Looking at container now. Total carbs 16 Grams. Staight whey protein does nothing for me.

XxTONEONLYxX

Awards
I had no problems with it and thought it worked great. I got a little worried when I heard that there is something in it that can kill brain cells I got a little worried but then I found out that it kills no more brain cells than drinking alcohol and also that cytosport has removed the ingredients that had that effect as of 2007. I am going to keep using it as I am getting great results in the gym since I started using it. I like to hear what people think of certain suppliments that I may taking now or in the future. Thanks to everyone who has replied and keep them coming

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
There's no carbs? hmmmmm, what type are you referring to because I have an old jug sitting in the corner right now that has many carbs in it.

Sleepy and lethargic? When I used to drink it back when, it hindered my sleep by several noticeable marks...

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Never used MuscleMilk freinds have love the taste but just pricey for me. Its not the healthiest of choices i have to say but not terrible.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I had no problems with it and thought it worked great. I got a little worried when I heard that there is something in it that can kill brain cells I got a little worried but then I found out that it kills no more brain cells than drinking alcohol and also that cytosport has removed the ingredients that had that effect as of 2007. I am going to keep using it as I am getting great results in the gym since I started using it. I like to hear what people think of certain suppliments that I may taking now or in the future. Thanks to everyone who has replied and keep them coming
Dude there are studies out that state getting pisssed off and angry kills brain cells. At some point I have to say..."suck it" and keep moving.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Dude there are studies out that state getting pisssed off and angry kills brain cells. At some point I have to say..."suck it" and keep moving.
Anger is not good for overall and psycosocial health but if anger "does" destroy brain cells, then I will be a vegetable by my 40's.:trink26:

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
*in my best Vincent Vega voice* msg tastes good... muscle milk tastes good...

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Anger is not good for overall and psycosocial health but if anger "does" destroy brain cells, then I will be a vegetable by my 40's.:trink26:
LOL,

I know it does nothing for short term focus at all, completely eradicates it, especially when anger reaches the point of ballistic.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
NO CARBS? FALSE! Looking at container now. Total carbs 16 Grams. Staight whey protein does nothing for me.
By no carbs I mean not enough to have any effect, especially when you have close to 20grams of fat in there too ;) The powder form even has less carbs.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
There's no carbs? hmmmmm, what type are you referring to because I have an old jug sitting in the corner right now that has many carbs in it.

Sleepy and lethargic? When I used to drink it back when, it hindered my sleep by several noticeable marks...
Referring to the most common ones everyone buys. "musle milk". The pre-made shakes or regular powder. Do you have their weight gainer? Muscle Milk Collegiate?

If you had the regular one maybe the medium chain triglycerides they put in it gave u energy. It didn't work for me. I need carbs.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
Man up people, flavoring is for the weak.

purebred

natural flavoring is EXTREMELY hard to perfect and is much more expensive/time consuming to produce.
hard doesn't equate too impossible. That's a poor excuse. there are numerous companies who produce good tasting naturally flavored products. it's possible, companies just rather spend less to put more in their pocket.

it's no secret and it's nothing to be ashamed of. it's America. :)
the main negative effect of muscle milk is it making your wallet lighter. the price sucks per serving of protein.
How much is the Muscle Milk you've come across?

I recently was given a 5 lb tub of Muscle Milk Vanilla for free and I must say...it tastes amazing in my oatmeal. Sweetens my oatmeal for me :) If anything, I always have my Xylitol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its not that its super expensive, the 2.2 lb tub is only $23 ish, but its only 15 servings of 32g of protein if I recall right for around 450g total, vs most 2.2lb tubs being same price but with more like 30 servings of 24g for more like 700g total. so the 12g of carbs + 18g of fat eats up a lot of the protein space in the jug.

if you are looking for meal replacement thats fine and its in relatively normal price range for that. but its not what I consider to be a reasonable price for a general protein

purebred

Its not that its super expensive, the 2.2 lb tub is only $23 ish, but its only 15 servings of 32g of protein if I recall right for around 450g total, vs most 2.2lb tubs being same price but with more like 30 servings of 24g for more like 700g total. so the 12g of carbs + 18g of fat eats up a lot of the protein space in the jug.

if you are looking for meal replacement thats fine and its in relatively normal price range for that. but its not what I consider to be a reasonable price for a general protein
good points. $19.95 is the price I get it for though. :ziplip:

mvrk1

Awards
I don't think the profile is very good for a post-workout drink. I like a fast digesting protein (ie. whey isolate) and some fast carbs with little to no fat. Muscle Milk does not fit this profile very well at all. But as an extra source of protein, I don't have much problem with it. Unless of course cholesterol is a concern for you...

purebred

People overthink PWO nutrition too much. I have a liter of whole milk PWO and a whole food meal afterwards & that gets the job done.

raven00

Awards
just say no to muscle milk...besides no whey isolate in it anyways

smutty

smutty

Awards
Now has a great tasting and natural flavored whey. Also Optimum Nutrition has a great tasting natural casein.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
just look at it this way when you drink nasty protien shakes 3 x a day and ther each liek 20 oz.. When your drinking beer you will be able to chug chug chug like its nothing.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Milk has very bad side effects.....
1. Burns big whole in your wallet
2. Loads you with fats

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
it was the hype and marketing that helped them

nah. i think the taste helped them the most.

no can can deny it is the best tasting protein out there.

i wonder if the evopro ( low cal/carb version ) tastes as good. anyone try it?

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
nah. i think the taste helped them the most.

no can can deny it is the best tasting protein out there.

i wonder if the evopro ( low cal/carb version ) tastes as good. anyone try it?

Very dissapointed in Evopro. I thought the Fuji Apple would be good. Nope.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At Costco in SoCal they have CytoSport Protein+. It is a decent price: $28 for 3.3 lbs and 40 servings at 24g protein. The taste is very good, not great like Muscle Milk.