John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i like both-sammy and roth. i really like the vid of dreams with the blue angels-those guys are badass!!!
YouTube- Van Halen - Dreams

Dreams is a very positive song. I like both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Sammy is the better singer, David is the better at visual performance.(again my opinion)sometimes Sammy's lyrics do not make much sense; although generally I think he is trying to convey positiveness.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[

I managed to get 4th row seats to the Sammy tour that Michael Anthony was with him on, which was great.
Without Michael Anthony and his high voice as background, they will never sound the same with out him.

I used to be/still am to some extent a big Vh fan

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
YouTube- Van Halen - Dreams

Dreams is a very positive song. I like both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Sammy is the better singer, David is the better at visual performance.(again my opinion)sometimes Sammy's lyrics do not make much sense; although generally I think he is trying to convey positiveness.
it's kind of a different song from vh. but i really dug the video and have liked the song ever since. best of both worlds-live version really rocks.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
sweet vid john!...looking good my friend!;)..keep up the good work!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[

Without Michael Anthony and his high voice as background, they will never sound the same with out him.

I used to be/still am to some extent a big Vh fan
him and Sammy touring together without eddie and alex was well worth seeing.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sweet vid john!...looking good my friend!;)..keep up the good work!
Thank you Bobby. what are you up to now a days?

Last year I remember I was contest preping you were a rep and big things were happening with your body. are you still lifting, nutrition, sleeping right, doing the whole positive lifestyle?

still in Hawaii? I would love to come visit hawaii and be around positive upbeat energetic people to just relax and have a vacation..hey Maybe Team AI can go to Hawaii for a Vacation?

him and Sammy touring together without eddie and alex was well worth seeing.
nice. I am glad you are part of AI Sports Nutrition Easy, maybe I can learn some things from you, especially since I am pushing thirty and have to look to nurturing myself as I get older. same with everyone you you older than me I am sure I can learn something from everyone. Don, Mike, Tom, etc...

I just want to make a note on Perform. wow it is crazy, many times when calories are low, intense cardio and weights, contest preparation many competitors, especially natural guys, even hormone (whether it be otc or what not) sexual drive takes a drop, while I seem to not be as grizzly, for lack of a better term, as usual, it works very well. (I really do not want to go into detail about what it does, the label says exactly what it does)

These supplements are helping so much retain my muscle mass, testosterone levels, strength levels, Fullness of muscles(like someone put a air pump in my muscles[Glycobol]) my health, blood pressure, whilst i am on a low dose Eca stack it can still elevate blood pressure and cycle support helps keep this down,I could go on and on.

I am not getting many questions in here so please if I can answer anything you are genuinely concerned or anything you can benefit from please feel free to ask.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
john, you are on the right track. i only wish i would have treated my body better when i was younger. all the years of alcoholic drinking will eventuality catch up with me. i feel good at 52, but my life expectancy has to be effected. keep living the clean lifestyle and you will be thankfull as you grow older.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My whole problem is that although I know plenty, I have a hard time consistently applying any of it to day to day life. So when a friend was talking about it, I agreed to enter the Tampa Classic with him next june, so i'm forced to be consistent, at least from March on.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My whole problem is that although I know plenty, I have a hard time consistently applying any of it to day to day life. So when a friend was talking about it, I agreed to enter the Tampa Classic with him next june, so i'm forced to be consistent, at least from March on.
We will be behind you 100%

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hell yeah!!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
john, you are on the right track. i only wish i would have treated my body better when i was younger. all the years of alcoholic drinking will eventuality catch up with me. i feel good at 52, but my life expectancy has to be effected. keep living the clean lifestyle and you will be thankfull as you grow older.
The main thing that matters most is what health you are on now, and from what i understand on your lab results you are healthy. No regrets..what you do now and the future is what matters, nothing you can do to change the past, I do not look at past mistakes as failures , on the other hand,Of course they were failures, I look as them as failing my way forward so i can learn so they are just leanings to make a better life.

we all have to fail to get good at whatever it may be life in general, your job, learning bodybuilding, whatever

John does a hell of a job and inspires me to keep fit.
Glad I can have this effect on you Don.:veryhappy:

Do it you'll never be the same and you'll be forced to get better because you have the whole crowds undivided attention. Tom and I were talking about this last week.

We will be behind you 100%
hell yeah!!!
Yep

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you are right, what you do today will effect your tomorrow.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 1 st 2010

Nutrition
310 P
190 CHO
40 F

Exercise:

40 minutes hard intensity cardio 2 minutes slow-mid pace, 3 minutes fast pace repeat until done

Some fast boxing(super hard cardio) Traps, neck abs

Seated dumb bell shrugs
60lbs=10x's
60lbs=10x's

neck raise off bench
20lbs=10x's
25lbs=8x's

abs
Nautilus ab machine
60lbs=30x's

sleep don't know I woke up later than usual , and usually set my opportunity alarm,I did not today because I needed the extra rest though, maybe 10 hours

supplements
Cycle Support two scoops
Glycobol 2 capsules 15-30 minutes post workout meal
Perform~
Testopro~
RecoverPro one scoop

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i remember having improved sleep on testapro-among other improvements, lol.:sasmokin:

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Excellent work in here John. Coming alot very nicely and ahead of schedule by the looks of the video.

I also like the workout you hit up sept 1st...very nice calorie burning and hitting up those accesories muscles like abs, neck and traps. Very nice work

punthra

punthra

Awards
  • Established
Keep up up the good work John!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing like havng to get almost naked in front of a thousand people to motivate you into get into the right condition... :veryhappy:

It will focus you and you will probably do well, just watch the slips when going into off season dieting. You're first show will likely have you losing a ton of weight, try and not let too much slip back on and you're second show ..say a year later will have you tighter and leaner.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, for this show, I basically have to make sure I come in under 177, as the masters group is just split in lightweight/heavyweight, and theres no way I'd come in much over that and lean anyhow. I think given my timespan, i'm going to try to get near contest ready by end of year, then a slight lean bulk from january thru march, then back on a contest diet last 10 weeks.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, for this show, I basically have to make sure I come in under 177, as the masters group is just split in lightweight/heavyweight, and theres no way I'd come in much over that and lean anyhow. I think given my timespan, i'm going to try to get near contest ready by end of year, then a slight lean bulk from january thru march, then back on a contest diet last 10 weeks.
As for the timing of your second contest, decide that after your first... A lot will depend on how tight you get. The skin takes a long time to tighten when you're over 40... Yah want to get into a position where you are about 20-25 lbs out of contest shape. Maintain that and you will be tighter next time around.. or should be.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure that in offseason I'll even add that much. From the mirror and all, I'm guessing that right now (with what i've lost muscle wise going off TRT, and then 2 weeks off from hamstring tear) that I'll come into contest weight at maybe 165-170. Once I am off contest, i'm just going to let bodyfat come up to 8-9%, and try and maintain there while on a slow lean bulk. We'll see how it goes, its more a question of whether I can keep consistency that long. Thats part of why too i'm thinking about pretending I have a december 31st contest date, and acting accordingly between now and then to reach that point.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure that in offseason I'll even add that much. From the mirror and all, I'm guessing that right now (with what i've lost muscle wise going off TRT, and then 2 weeks off from hamstring tear) that I'll come into contest weight at maybe 165-170. Once I am off contest, i'm just going to let bodyfat come up to 8-9%, and try and maintain there while on a slow lean bulk. We'll see how it goes, its more a question of whether I can keep consistency that long. Thats part of why too i'm thinking about pretending I have a december 31st contest date, and acting accordingly between now and then to reach that point.
What do you weigh now and what percentage are you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I was 189, and i'd guess maybe 13% give or take a little. I carry my fat a bit unevenly still as I was soooooo fat at one point, so it accumulated differently. So at that I have some shin veins showing, on and off back of calf veins showing, but top abs barely show without flexing.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I was 189, and i'd guess maybe 13% give or take a little. I carry my fat a bit unevenly still as I was soooooo fat at one point, so it accumulated differently. So at that I have some shin veins showing, on and off back of calf veins showing, but top abs barely show without flexing.
If you want to show up at around 5-6% then you may have to go to 160 or even lower, you'd be surprised at how much water weight you lose.. that's not too bad though. Don't get too caught up in how much you weigh, conditioning is the key... I know I have made most of these mistakes already lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, its definitely a tossup at this point, whcih is part of why I want to do the pretend contest diet + prep for end of year. See where I end up, see if there are any glaring things I can fix in 3 months of light bulking

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, its definitely a tossup at this point, whcih is part of why I want to do the pretend contest diet + prep for end of year. See where I end up, see if there are any glaring things I can fix in 3 months of light bulking
Yes that's smart a dry run is recommended...:veryhappy:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still a little unsure on diet, i generally currently am roughly around 300g protein, 150g carbs, 100g fats.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still a little unsure on diet, i generally currently am roughly around 300g protein, 150g carbs, 100g fats.
2700 calories, take it down a bit at a time. One nice trick is to eat half your carbs from fibrous sources (brocoli etc..) ... Protein intake is higher on a cut but 300 does sound sufficient. 33% fat is a bit high, I would take that down as well...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its primarily from fish oil, nuts and coconut oil, rather than animal based fats. It just works out that way with how I tend to normally eat. most of the carbs end up being from whole grains, or sprouted grains, with the ocasional sweet potato or fruit thrown in. I need to get specific as I get closer, but for now that seems to be working out ok.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 2nd 2010

Nutrition
290 P
235 CHO
35 F
2,415 calories

Exercise two divided sessions of cardio and weights

cardio: 40 minutes hard interval fasted cardio

Weights: Back (I am training a bit faster than normal,like about a minute rest maybe 90 seconds ,on body parts like shoulders,some pull down and pull up exercises,biceps, triceps, less demanding exercises, this is useful during contest preparation, as it depletes glycogen stores better. Something like leg press I would not do this)

Nautilus Pullover machine
170lbs=11x's
V bar pull down
170lbs=8x's
Neutral grip pull up(body weight)
10 + 1 partial rep
Rack pull up(neutral grip)

Cable row
150lbs=10x's
Rack Deadlift(from kneecaps)
345=6x's

sleep 9-10 hours

Supplements
RecoverPro-3 scoops
Cycle support two scoops
Perform~
Testopro~
Essentials and joint three scoops

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 3nd 2010

Nutrition
325 P
205 CHO
50 F

exercise:none , needed to rest

sleep 10-11 hours

supplements
Glycobol one capsule(with morning meal)
Cycle support two scoops
Perform~
Testopro~

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
john-i am very envious the amount of sleep you get, damn.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
john-i am very envious the amount of sleep you get, damn.
Tom, a hard training bodybuilder needs at the minimum of eight hours sleep and up to ten. like that workout you did a week or two ago you said that tore you up. I don't believe in training like that all the time because it'll wear one down. Training like that at certain times though is the way to go.(high intensity)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tom, a hard training bodybuilder needs at the minimum of eight hours sleep and up to ten. like that workout you did a week or two ago you said that tore you up. I don't believe in training like that all the time because it'll wear one down. Training like that at certain times though is the way to go.(high intensity)
absolutely-i agree wholeheartedly. i trully believe my lifelong sleep problems have held me back. i see many complaining of sleep problems-you are blessed to be able to sleep the way you do.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excellent work in here John. Coming alot very nicely and ahead of schedule by the looks of the video.

I also like the workout you hit up sept 1st...very nice calorie burning and hitting up those accesories muscles like abs, neck and traps. Very nice work
I mis calculated I am nine weeks out this weekend. I was thinking eight because I counted one month as four weeks, and every month has a couple days left over so this gives me more time to get ready which I certainly can use =)

so today on Sunday September 5th 2010 and I have 62 days left of this preparation. or just under nine weeks. That makes me feel a bit better

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Excellent news!! With that extra time you can really make sure your at your best for the show.

KILL IT!

v1hyp

v1hyp

Awards
Yeah the more time you have the better prepped you should be. Doing so will allow you that time to lose the BF slowly keeping more muscle.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excellent news!! With that extra time you can really make sure your at your best for the show.

KILL IT!
good insight

Yeah the more time you have the better prepped you should be. Doing so will allow you that time to lose the BF slowly keeping more muscle.
very good insight and breaking it down.

I keep hearing over and over that the best way to stay in shape for a competition is to just stay leanish, and keep that skin tight which causes a smaller waist come show time.

From now on I plan on being 12% or lower. It is nicer being lean,easier on the knees, easier on general health even though I am pushing 30 I feel no reason to get up to 15% any more as body fat is the number one thing that causes so many health challenges.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 4th 2010

Nutrition
325 P
160 CHO
35 F

Exercise: Off

Sleep 8 hours

Supplements
Glycobol one first thing in morning
Cycle Support-Two scoops
Perform~
Testopro~

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 5th 2010

Nutrition
305 P
180CHO
40 F
2,300 calories

exercise: off

sleep 9 hours

Supplements
Cycle support 2 scoops
Testopro~
Perform~

* when my body feels the cns is worn out from too much cardio and intense training I take a couple days off. Some people think increasing calories will solve this dilemma, it does not work that way, the body needs times to completely rest.

*On a side note Glutamine really seems to make a difference this pre-contest, taking 20 grams a day in two divided doses, when I am hungry it reduces cravings , also on all of these rest days I am taking off ECA stack.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Oh and I agree with the glutamine there, I have been taking 5 am 5 pm and am noticing a difference as well. I just drop the powder in my mouth and wash it down :D

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9 weeks still plenty of time then...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh and I agree with the glutamine there, I have been taking 5 am 5 pm and am noticing a difference as well. I just drop the powder in my mouth and wash it down :D
yeah I use it when I need it which is basically all contest preparation esp when I really feel worn out.

9 weeks still plenty of time then...
Yeah makes me feel a bit better about it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
September 6th 2010

Nutrition
310P
210 C
30 F

exercise:weights Had to use my at home weight because gym was closed

Chest, shoulders(plus triceps, biceps and forearms)

15-20 degree Incline bench(perfect)
I do not know the weight I just did two sets failing at 11 and 8.

Standing military barbell press
11x's, 9x's

seated side lateral- could not finish because shoulder was telling me to stop or it would give me an injury so I listened

so I did the side I could do the right side 35lbs=12x's

and bent over right rear laterals 35lbs=12x's

supine curls supersetted with close grip bench press
35lbs=10x's don't know weight doesn't matter what matters is I felt the muscle contraction 10x's

forearms
overhand dumb bell curls 20lbs=15x's
undergrip dumb bell curls 20lbs=15x's

Sleep 8 hours

Supplements
Glycobol 3 one waking up and two post workout
Cycle Support two scoops
Perform~
Testopro~