MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Knee wraps or no? I've always had good experiences with USPA meets.
I don't have a problem with knee wraps but don't typically use them. I wear my Titans sleeves pretty much any time I do heavier leg work though.
I'd be happy with a 335 press. At least until I eyed another 2.5#...
Thanks and I am overall, just not compared to where I was.
Definitely think that 335 is great especially with not carbs and it being such a surprise for your body! Awesome work as always!
Thanks Kat!
Agree! 335 bench is like lifting a car to me! Nice job!
Thanks Mark!
Welcome back!

I am going to get right into the workout, for my first real time out on the Zercher squats I was pleased.

A
Warm up, smash any tight areas with a LAX ball or rumble roller
Burgener Warmup x 5:00

Super set 1
Snatch 6 sets of 2 @ 155
DB Squat Jump 6 sets of 3 @ 25 in each hand

C
Barbell Zercher Squat 4,3,3,1 - worked up to a single of 345, first time I seriously tried this with over 225 so pretty happy with that. Could have done more too.

No rest between exercises and minimal between complexes
Kettlebell Snatch3 x 8 @ 44, 36 & 36
Reverse Kettlebell Lunges3 x 8 @ 44, 36 & 36
1 Arm Kettlebell Row3 x 8 @ 44, 36 & 36

E
Walking Lunges1 x 150 - Legs are crazy sore from these now!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy Hell My Legs are STILL SORE!!!!! That is all...

turff49

turff49

Awards
Lol!!!! I wonder why????? lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Even more fun, next on tap is heavy Sumo Deads, coupled with Squat jumps!

turff49

turff49

Awards
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Masochist.
Indeed!

So today was a conditioning day and I went ahead and put the inclines in the parking garage to use by walking up the parking garage 2 times, basically walked the 13 floors all the way up the ramps, down the stairs and back up the ramps then walked down for a cool down overall the whole thing took about 45 minutes. I also scoped out a place where I could secure my slastix ropes to get in a really good workout without having to watch for cars coming up or anything. Also saw there is a good solid concrete wall I can do med ball work right next to it too, so that is great!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is this ^^^ at your work or something?
Yes our parking garage goes up 13 stories and there is an area on the roof next to a concrete maintenance room wall that keeps cars from being able to park there so no traffic to worry about. I can do some ball slams or sand bag carries there too. I park anywhere from 11 up to the roof so I can take stuff leave it in the car. Grab it and just exercise there when I don't feel like going far from work or trekking to the park carrying a bunch of stuff.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's awesome; way to improvise instead of making excuses!
Thanks, got to do something!
I prefer to make excuses. It's waaaaay easier.
Yes indeed it is.
If only it were as easy to live with out progress as it is to make excuses.

About to go out for my walking here in about 30-45 minutes. When I get back in I will have a protein shake, and start getting in a little carbs to get ready for the dead lifts tonight.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Last night was Sumo Deadlift time. I have to say I was not overly pleased with my performance but it was pretty much all CNS and set up based issues and not the strength itself. At least that was the impression I had from my performance. The rest of my workout went very well.

Burgener Warm Up - 65 lbs 2 rounds

Super Set 1
Sumo Dead Lifts 135x10, 225x2, 315x2, 365x2, 415xf, xf, xf, 385x1, 385x1, 395x1
Squat Jumps 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 -
these were great, I was getting excellent height and soft landings.

I was disappointed in the weight drop since the last time I did these but that was 5 months ago. I always have a problem with these, I just haven't truly "learned" the move. The 365x2 went up super easy, but that 415 I attempted 3 times and just couldn't make it work. I dropped it down to 385 and they came up easily again. The last set @395 which was already a few more than I should have done including the failed attempts, ended up coming up very easily. I think if they are programmed next week I will be much more efficient and probably break the old 435 max.

Superset 2 - rest was only long enough to add weight for the Farmers Walks
Ring Push Ups - 20, 20, 13.5 - as hard as i worked for that .5 rep I am claiming it!!!! :) I am really liking the ring push ups. Very challenging!!!!!
DB Farmer Walk - 50 x 590 yards, 55x50 yards, 60x50 yards - I was able to do these without putting them down, or using straps of any kind. Grip is improving!

Finisher Complex x3 rounds
Sled Drag x50 yards
Band Triceps Extensions 27, 24, 20
- I stepped pretty far back to really increase tension but I think I need to get myself some stronger bands too.
DB Hammer Curls 40x10, 45x8, 50x6 - Can go up but felt great!
Band Pull Aparts 35, 35, 30 - first 2 sets were 20 overhand and 15 underhand. Last was 15 of both. Just wanted to get to 100 reps which is the goal in every workout.

Foam Roll x 5 minutes

I may end up changing my programming up a bit more to focus on the Big 3 for the next several months. Still doing everything else with athletic performance in mind but really focus on the big 3 so I can do a meet later in the year. I have not decided if I will follow someone else's program or just use what I know to set something up myself. Either way if I intend to do a meet this year I need to start focusing in on that.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was like, why would you need straps for 60lb dbs? And then I saw 150 ft carries lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was like, why would you need straps for 60lb dbs? And then I saw 150 ft carries lol
Yeah, it definitely puts the grip to work! By the time I go to put the DB's back down I feel like I am about to lose a few callouses!!!! I really wish my hands were just a little bigger. My fists are wide, but I have short fingers so grip tends to be a challenge for me, but I do alright. I went up to 365 on double overhand deads yesterday so that is pretty good in my opinion.

So a health update, I went to give blood today and everything was looking stellar. My hematocrit had come back up as I planned. Maybe a tiny bit higher at 48% but I wanted it high enough they could use the blood instead of having to toss it out. On top of that my BP was stellar at 102/74 which made me very happy. I plan to go do my bloodwork early in the next couple weeks so I can get this next log up and running ASAP. I may even try to schedule it for next week. We shall see.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is exceptionally low blood pressure - things are coming together!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DOH is hard for me >300. I'd say 365 is great.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice update Chris.
Thanks, having a hard time not working out tonight. Always when you are not supposed to you get the urge...
That is exceptionally low blood pressure - things are coming together!
Yes, I was very happy. Things are going well.
DOH is hard for me >300. I'd say 365 is great.
Thanks, yeah I was impressed. I normally switch grips at 315 but did one more set just to see if I could.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
102/74 is amazing for a dude who is 58 years old. Good job!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy supersets... the first one made me tired just reading it...

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you doing all of your own programming, Chris? If so, how are you going about it day to day? I know how intuitive you are with diet and such, I just wonder what drives your day to day variations. It just seems more difficult to program "functional fitness" than a "normal" body building routine.

Forgive me if this isn't making much sense, I'm at the peak of tonight's kratom dose.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ring or TRX push-ups triggers all those support muscles. Nice job! How often are you donating blood? Me, every 56 days and my HCT dropped from 52 to 42% after two donations.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ring or TRX push-ups triggers all those support muscles. Nice job! How often are you donating blood? Me, every 56 days and my HCT dropped from 52 to 42% after two donations.
I wish I could donate blood would keep my RBC down!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
102/74 is amazing for a dude who is 58 years old. Good job!
Aw thanks Sweet Tits!
Holy supersets... the first one made me tired just reading it...
It was pretty brutal!
Are you doing all of your own programming, Chris? If so, how are you going about it day to day? I know how intuitive you are with diet and such, I just wonder what drives your day to day variations. It just seems more difficult to program "functional fitness" than a "normal" body building routine.

Forgive me if this isn't making much sense, I'm at the peak of tonight's kratom dose.
Right now I am following online coaching from Zach Even-esh. I pay $15 a month for his programming from Trainheroic.com I think it is $20 now but I got in early. I am going to change it up now though because i need to start focusing more on the big 3 to train for a powerlifting meet. Just something I decided I wanted to do. I will be changing it up then though. I just passed my Underground Strength Coach Certification which is Zach's system. So I will be putting some of his methods along with my own together.

Mostly though, going with what I learned here. The basic idea is to hit either a full body, or full body with a push pull focus on my workouts. Sometimes there is more push or pull focus but all workouts involve the whole body in some aspect. We focus on the 5 basic movement patterns every workout. Squat/hinge, press, pull, rotation / stability. Typically on each of the 3 workout days I go heavier for strength on either a push, pull, or squat/hinge movement, always have an explosive component of some sort. Lets say for upper body push I might design a week to look like this
Monday - Bench 5,5,3,3,3, Wednesday - plyo push ups 5 sets of 3, Wednesday - DB Incline Bench 12,10,8

So each aspect gets a day of focus. On a mini-cycle where I want to work harder on pushing I might also do a second push exercise with higher reps, something like push ups, or ring pushup sub max x 3 sets on one of the days, most likely the one with the 5 sets of 3 plyo. Other than that you always want some sort of energy training. Like a circuit, or some carries or sled work. Something for strength endurance / work capacity.
Well my Hematocrit got down pretty low when I was doing it every 2 weeks trying to get to my target of 32. However when I got down to 37 they said they couldn't use my blood so I waited for 8 weeks to see how much it would climb in that 8 weeks it went from probably 34-35 after that draw up to 48 in 8 weeks. So I think I will try to schedule every 4 weeks to keep me in the 38-42 range. Since my doc prescribed it, I can go anytime I am above 32 but I see no reason to go that low if they can't use my blood to help others if 37 or below.

I wish I could donate blood would keep my RBC down!!
Why can't you?

Sorry I haven't updated much the last week. I was busy studying and handling other things.

WooHoo!!!! I passed my Strength Coach certification!
Underground Strength Coach Certified logo.jpg

Rather than reflect on last weeks training, since I don't have tons of time I am just going to say I am excited for training tonight. I will basically be doing almost the same workout as listed for last Tuesday. Going to go heavy on Sumo Deads and do a lot of upper body, and work capacity stuff. I feel like I will do much better this week on the weights.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats mane

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congratulations brother! Nice!

turff49

turff49

Awards
SWEET!!! Congrats Chris!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats Chris.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congratulations brother! Nice!
SWEET!!! Congrats Chris!
Congrats Chris.
Thanks Gentlemen!

Alright I have a nice workout to report! FINALLY a strength based workout that felt right since doing more body weight stuff over the holidays. After last week I was really frustrated with strength... I just couldn't seem to muster any and my Sumo Pulls last week were just weak, topping out at 390 was a major blow to the ego when my old PR was 435. Well I made up for that last night by setting one hell of a PR!

10 minute Warm Up, Burgener Warm Up and Foam rolling.

Sumo Dead Lifts WU - 135x5, Work Sets 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x3, 435x1, 515xf, 515xf, 485x1 PR by 50 lbs!!!!!!
Jump Squats - 3, 3, 3, BW + 20lbs x3, 3, & 3

Okay I decided I was going to approach these with smaller weight increases at first. Allow my CNS to get into the game as i feel like my CNS was the problem the week before. That and not eating quite enough that day. So I pull up to 315 with an OHG, then went to a mixed grip from 365 up. At 435 I put on my belt for the rest of the sets as well. This week 365 shot out of the hole like nothing, that was a whopping 25lbs less than my "max" the week before. Talk about getting excited about the possibility of at least hitting my previous max!!!! I put my belt on for the 435, bend down and grab the bar expecting a stall, instead I rip it off the floor like it was 315!!!! Hell Yes!!!!! I matched my previous max, now to go for the gold and see what I can pull. I decided to go big and go for 515, and give it some hell. First attempt, I pull and it breaks the ground by a few inches but no go. Just didn't feel quite right. I try again, a little better set up and pull, get another couple inches higher, but no more. Also the tendons on the inside of my knee were really feeling the tension of the weight in the Sumo stance. I put it back down and drop the weight. I was about to write the 2 attempts off as a fail and call it a day. However I didn't have the quit in me for that. I pulled the 25s off each side and put a 10 on and went for one last all out effort on 485, bend down, grip it and rip it! SUCCESS! A new 50 lbs PR!!!!!!!

SuperSet 1 - 3 rounds minimal rest
Weighted Ring Push Ups w/ bodyweight + 20 lbs - 15, 15, 15
- Weighted Push Ups on rings in a whole new animal. Chest was PUMPED!!!!!!! At the and of each rep I pushed the rings close together to get sort of a fly type movement out of them also. Just awesome stuff!
DB Farmer Walks w/ 60lbs - 70 yards, 60 yards, 50 yards - These were absolutely brutal this time around. My grip failed me a couple times this time. The extra distance on the first 2 sets really made a huge difference. On top of that the size of my hands puts my callous in a bad spot where it is forever trying to be ripped off which makes holding on that much harder... Still such a bad ass exercise for your entire body though. You just can't really find a replacement for it that gives the same benefit, and requires virtuously no skill at all other than the ability to walk standing upright.

Complex 1 - 3 rounds no rest
Tire Drag - 75 yards - added 80 lbs to tire
- I barely made it back from the first 75 yards even with changing directions from front to back. Removed half the weight to finish the last 2 rounds. Talk about exhausting! Funny 80lbs on a normal sled would be so easy... 80lbs added to a tire sled was like pulling 200-300 hundred on a regular sled... That rubber doesn't slide much when the "brakes" are on.
DB OH Triceps Extension @60 lbs - 20, 20, 15 - triceps were so full of blood!!!!
DB Hammer Curls @ 35lbs - 15, 15, 15 - my brachialis were so pumped after all the grip work then hammering these out too. Man they were so full of blood they were honestly aching for about 20-30 minutes post workout.

Cool Down 7 minutes foam rolling and mobility work.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congratulations! Fifty pounds, that's huge!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congratulations! Fifty pounds, that's huge!
50lbs is a hug PR! Good ****!
Thanks guys! I was very happy. I will say I need to work a little more on some lighter weight in the SUMO so I can get my knees up to par in the wider foot position. The tendon running along the inside of my patella was aching a little under the tension once over 435, so I will probably toss a few of these in here and there to built that up.

turff49

turff49

Awards
That's a HUGE increase!! Clicking on all cylinders. Those lifts are what inspires everyone!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have had the same pain before, I believe it's from the knees coming in with your feet flared a lot, but I'm not 100% sure. Sumo has always been a mystery to me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's a HUGE increase!! Clicking on all cylinders. Those lifts are what inspires everyone!
Thanks!!!! I agree, not bad at all for 5 months. Especially since I am not on anything but my TRT dose right now that is great.
I have had the same pain before, I believe it's from the knees coming in with your feet flared a lot, but I'm not 100% sure. Sumo has always been a mystery to me.
Yeah, it does not seem to agree with me but we have to strive to become strong where we are weak. I do think in that position my adductors wanted to pull in. So I can believe that. Even now though my sumo stance is really not all that wide, my hands barely fit on the knurling of the bar, and my forearms / elbows are touching the inside of my knees. Hard to imagine going much wider but that could also be a mobility issue.

I think once I can work with some experienced PL guys I will figure it out better but have a feeling for me anyway that conventional is always going to be my best pull. I wonder if I were to start doing some RDL with a sumo stance if it would help in that aspect... Hmmm

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow. Huge PR.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Even I am in here silently admiring that PR.
Well earned, sir.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like a great day, brother!

Also, I occasionally take a razor blade and trim my calluses off then polish smooth with a pumice stone. Goes a long way towards keeping them from ripping off during a pull or carry, which can totally derail training.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got eem

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wow. Huge PR.
Even I am in here silently admiring that PR.
Well earned, sir.
Thanks Gents!

Tonight I have Sand Bag shouldering from the floor as my main lift. I have to shoulder a 100lb sandbag for 30 reps alternating sides as fast as I can for time and try to beat my time from last week. This is absolutely brutal, my bag is homemade and has no handles I could use for that. So I have to scoop under it to pick it up which is so much harder than having a handle to grab. Really surprised me the difference that made last time. Not exactly looking forward to this but love the added work capacity from it.

Yesterday I went and exercised for lunch. I did another Parking Garage workout. I decided to sprint up every other ramp and straight away then take the stairs down and repeated for 35 minutes. The whole thing was about 50 minutes with the warm up and cool down periods where I only walked. I estimate each ramp is 40-50 yards in length, and the straightaways were about 20 so each "Sprint" was about 60-70 yards and I ended up doing 20 of them. Now the sprints were about 70% when I started, then after about 5 I had worked up to about 80-85% effort for the remainder of the sprints. I had a serious leg pump when I was done too!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Things are going well for you Congratulations!!

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good work kleen!